Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2018, 05:41 AM   #1
Sinclair

Default Mold in boathouse

Name:  IMG_0947.JPG
Views: 958
Size:  31.9 KB

Hello everyone,

We get mold in the boathouse every year (see attached picture). It gets on the walls and ceilings, especially in crevices. It's really a bummer.

It's not hard to remove with some scrubbing. Power washing also works, but very slowly - and you have to be very careful not to short out lights and garage door panels.

The biggest problem is the scale of the job. I worked on it for 10 hours Saturday and only got about 70%. Plus I can't get the areas above the boat bays. And constantly reaching up to the ceiling means I can't work straight through, have to take 20 second breaks every minute or so because my arms give out. It's really painful work.

There must be a better way!

Is there a way to clean this that doesn't take so much scrubbing, and that would make it easy to reach over the boat bays? Is there anything I can do to keep it from coming back?

And, ideally, do you know any services who would do this for me? After Saturday I'd much rather give the job to someone...

Thank you!
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
Attachment 13948

Hello everyone,

We get mold in the boathouse every year (see attached picture). It gets on the walls and ceilings, especially in crevices. It's really a bummer.

It's not hard to remove with some scrubbing. Power washing also works, but very slowly - and you have to be very careful not to short out lights and garage door panels.

The biggest problem is the scale of the job. I worked on it for 10 hours Saturday and only got about 70%. Plus I can't get the areas above the boat bays. And constantly reaching up to the ceiling means I can't work straight through, have to take 20 second breaks every minute or so because my arms give out. It's really painful work.

There must be a better way!

Is there a way to clean this that doesn't take so much scrubbing, and that would make it easy to reach over the boat bays? Is there anything I can do to keep it from coming back?

And, ideally, do you know any services who would do this for me? After Saturday I'd much rather give the job to someone...

Thank you!
I wonder if you could use a product like wet and forget?? I used that product to clean mold and moss off my walkway pavers and it hasn’t come back in almost 5 years now. I think if you put in on sparingly so it does not migrate into the water that might work. Not sure though. There has to be a product you can spray on to keep the mold from forming...

Good Luck!

Dan
Old 06-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

I have used a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water in one of those two gallon pump spray cans to get rid of mold. You might experiment with a weak mixture first to see what happens. You don't want to damage the surface the mold is growing on. The only thing that seems to easily kill mold is bleach.

You could also shut off the breaker for the lights and if light is needed bring in a portable flood light with an extension cord from another circuit.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Geneva Point

Use "Wet and Forget". It works. I've used it on all types of surfaces .
Geneva Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Wet and Forget is pretty awesome.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #6
Sinclair

We spoke with the builder of the boathouse, who was kind enough to talk with other owners who have faced similar problems.

The plan is to hand wash the walls and ceiling with a light bleach solution. It's important to ensure the bleach will not damage the floor as well because dripping is unavoidable.

This has been successful in other cases, and typically the mold does not come back. But air circulation is very important and our boathouse is not set up very well for this. We will see.
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

WE just did ours' with bleach and water. We thought the bleach was safer if some did get into the lake than the Wet and Forget. The mold is gone but I am sure it will return.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
Kings Bluff

Call Gerry Theodora in Alton Bay for your mold problems. 387-7964. He will solve your mold problem.
Kings Bluff is offline   Reply With Quote