Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2023, 08:14 PM   #1
frank m.

Default Old Mount Washington's Bell

I bought Dean Mason's old property in Meredith and there were a lot of artifacts from his salvage diving days, including a large cast bell that was said to have been from the Old Mount, but there is no way to confirm. I'm wondering if anyone might have any pictures from on the boat its bell is visible. I have tried with Historical Society.
frank m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:14 PM   #2
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

A few years ago I got a letter in the mail from someone who came to one of my presentations. In it he enclosed a letter he thought would interest me and some clippings that I attach to this post-and yes they are very interesting.

I made contact at that time trying to arrange a personal look at the bell but due to Covid and other factors it didn't happen. Today I emailed my contact at the church to try again. If nothing else I want to see pictures of it.

I will post anything useful I get.

Dean was a character and it wouldn't surprise me if he had lots of great things from the lake or about the lake.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Bell article & letter.pdf (5.08 MB, 283 views)
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
frank m. (01-21-2023), Grant (01-26-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Mount’s Bell

I believe the bell ended up in a church in Meredith. I’d have to try and dig around to see what I can find. Old e-mail address may prove unlikely. Is there a Union Church on Meredith Neck? My memory is getting worse. Lol.
I believe it was salvaged by the Downing’s as it was leaving Alton Bay to be scrapped. Donated to the church many years later.
My mind is trying to remember what we did with my files when we moved! Lol
Union Church (Hope I have the name correct) is a seasonal church. We had tried years ago to get a photograph of the bell in the steeple, but it never worked out. You may have to wait until next summer to get a look see. I’m feeling more certain that this is where the steamer Mount Washington’s bell is.
http://www.unionchurchmeredith.com/
Good luck! Please share everything with us what you find out. We love pictures.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 01-23-2023 at 07:16 PM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:02 PM   #4
fatlazyless

From your website link..... www.unionchurchmeredith.com/about.htm under the About heading, and HISTORY ..... "At a propritious moment during construction, a call was received from a Lester Downing of Alton Bay offering to donate the 175-pound bell that once was on the side wheeler, Mount Washington. According to him, it was used instead of a whistle to frighten horses they moved from point to point."
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 09:42 AM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Thanks for the Link!

Thank you for the link FLL! My memory is still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
From your website link..... www.unionchurchmeredith.com/about.htm under the About heading, and HISTORY ..... "At a propritious moment during construction, a call was received from a Lester Downing of Alton Bay offering to donate the 175-pound bell that once was on the side wheeler, Mount Washington. According to him, it was used instead of a whistle to frighten horses they moved from point to point."
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links