Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
weim2

Default Sandy Point-Alton Bay

We had some Baked Stuffed Lobster the other night at Sandy Point which is known for serving very good lobster. It was well below par. Salad, rolls were good, cole slaw was just OK. Service was excellent, atmosphere very dated. I will never go again.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
BrownEyedGirl

Post That stinks!

Gees I'm really sorry you had a lousy experience, we've always had excellent lobster at Sandy Point. Everything for that matter. I agree the place could use some fresh paint and decorations in the dining room, but other than that they are top on our list. Was it your first time? Just my humble opinion but if your willing give them one more shot. Possibly just a fluke.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
hazelnut

Aww man I hate to hear that. I love going there by boat at least once a year. Sometimes I kind of like the "Old School" look of the place. I hope you change your mind and give them another chance. I went for the first time a couple of years ago because I had always gone by boat to dinner to either Meredith or Wolfeboro. I wanted to try going to Alton more and I started off by going to Sandy Point. I wouldn't call it the greatest restaurant on the lake but I found it to be a real laid back casual place to go and get decent food. I guess you could say that I go for the boat trip to Alton. I'll go again this year and I'll report back my experience.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Seeker

Wow, that surprises me. Based on a lot of past reviews here I was looking forward to one of their huge lobsters. Being an ex-commercial lobsterman but by no means a cook I have screwed up an occaisional baked stuffed one myself. That's why I only boil or steam them now.
Next time in Alton I will still give them a try.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Merrymeeting

I've never commented as they clearly must be doing something right since so many people like it. My parents have always raved about Sandy Point, and my mother loves lobster.

But my one visit there was underwhelming. For me, atmosphere is a big part of the dining experience, and in my view, Sandy Point is seriously lacking here.

Several years ago, we went with a large group of Merrymeeting neighbors. We were seated in booths with cracked leather seats that appeared to have been there since the 60's. The rest of the decor seemed to match.

While we had a pleasant evening. The food was good, but not memorable. We agreed that it was an ok experience, but we have not gone back. We go out to resturants quite often as a group. We have yet to have someone request a return visit.

It's great that others like Sandy Point. Whatever rows your boat. But for this group of friends, it didn't work.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
EZ-Pass

My family (9) have been there 4 times so far this season and have loved every meal that we have received. My son's meal is always the same of a lobster and steak. Not one of the family has ever complained about the food at Sandy Point. Ya, it is kinda old looking inside, but we find it comfortable and we do not tend to be looking around at the paint on the walls and pictures while we eat such delicious food.
EZ-Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I've never commented .....

But my one visit there was underwhelming. For me, atmosphere is a big part of the dining experience, and in my view, Sandy Point is seriously lacking here. .
Similarly, I've kept my thoughts to myself but I have also been underwhelmed after several visits. The words dingy and run-down come to mind. ...and there is no view of the lake to speak of. My lobster roll was served on a hamburg bun which I thought was pretty weird.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
Long Island Baba

Default Also a less than great visit...

So, I broke down and went to Sandy Point myself after all the raving by others. Figured I could splurge at least once on the giant lobster. Why not! Well, I was not impressed either. For all that money I guess I was expecting something better. I felt like I was at a made rush at Pizza Hut! No frills. Here it is. No smiles. The food was okay but I was expecting EXCELLENT and DELISH and BEST YOU"VE EVER HAD. Not going there again.
Long Island Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
woodswalk

Have always loved the 2 lb baked stuffed.
This year for the first time ever, I felt it was knocked back a couple pegs on quality as well as assuming the usual price increase.
My hope is it was early-season jitters, and will certainly try again however if I get the same vibes, I may feel different.
woodswalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
DRH

Default Good Breakfasts

We haven't been there for dinner yet this season, but a group of guys in our neighborhood go to breakfast together on Saturday mornings during the summer and we've been to Sandy Point several times this year. The breakfasts we've had there have been consistently well-prepared, the menu selection is good and the service has been very good.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
nj2nh

Personally, I have to wonder why anyone cares what Sandy Point looks like. This is what I see - a FULL parking lot, weekend after weekend after weekend. They must be doing something right despite the old decor. Maybe they keep it that way on purpose. Everything else in the Lakes Region is changing and not necessarily for the better (see postings on the redone Wolfeboro Inn if you want to read how change is oh so wrong).

For my money, Sandy Point is one of the best seafood places around and I have been all around the lake. I prefer the Town Docks or Johnson's for a combination of food and atmosphere, but we stay in Alton and Sandy Point is the place to go when we don't feel like making the hike to Meredith or New Durham. If we want turkey, we go to Hart's. If we want burgers, we go to Tamarack or Pop's. If we want seafood locally, we go to Sandy Point.

'Nuf said.

nj2nh
Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Personally, I have to wonder why anyone cares what Sandy Point looks like. This is what I see - a FULL parking lot, weekend after weekend after weekend. They must be doing something right despite the old decor. Maybe they keep it that way on purpose. Everything else in the Lakes Region is changing and not necessarily for the better (see postings on the redone Wolfeboro Inn if you want to read how change is oh so wrong).

For my money, Sandy Point is one of the best seafood places around and I have been all around the lake. I prefer the Town Docks or Johnson's for a combination of food and atmosphere, but we stay in Alton and Sandy Point is the place to go when we don't feel like making the hike to Meredith or New Durham. If we want turkey, we go to Hart's. If we want burgers, we go to Tamarack or Pop's. If we want seafood locally, we go to Sandy Point.

'Nuf said.

nj2nh
and may I add, that if DRH gives the place a heads up, I'd bet on it!!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
jack1706

Thumbs up best seafood is at "Sandy Point"

we went to Sandy Point Tuesday night and had another great meal...
try the coconut shrimp.... excellent....
had the lobster and the lobster bisque is great also.. can't wait to go back..
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
BrownEyedGirl

Smile

I agree Sandy Point could use a little brightening inside, but the food has always been outstanding time after time. We usually go at least twice a month and have never had a bad experience. I can't think of a single place that has better lobster.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post

'Nuf said.

nj2nh
I have to totally agree on your post (except Tamarack, lol), actually I absolutely LOVE how Sandy Point looks inside! It's nice to go to a place where "nothing ever changes", including the food and the quality, it's how I remember it from when I was young, and that's not a bad thing! (And I'm not old, and my 13-year-old loves that it doesn't change also, for those wondering..............that's my disclaimer! )

There are too many things changing too fast, it's nice to have a place to go where things remain the same.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
fodalo

Smile Sandy Point

Very rare that you ran into a dislike at Sandy.
For us over that last 15years its the best seafood on the lake hands down.
Some of the best seafood restaurants in Boston cant compare.
Try it again.
fodalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
colt17

Default Firt Time at Sandy Point

This past Sunday a group of 9 of us had breakfast at Sandy Point and we were all very happy with our meal. We started off to Ames but with no dock space (we had two boats) we kept going to Alton. We called ahead not sure if they were still serving breakfast and if they had public docking (first trip to Sandy Point). There was no wait plenty of dock space the food was excellent (blueberry pancakes were A+) service was great and the price was extremely reasonable. Will defiantly go back next time we are around Alton
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colt17 For This Useful Post:
EZ-Pass (08-10-2009)
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #18
EZ-Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Similarly, I've kept my thoughts to myself but I have also been underwhelmed after several visits. The words dingy and run-down come to mind. ...and there is no view of the lake to speak of. My lobster roll was served on a hamburg bun which I thought was pretty weird.
When my family and friends go for a meal (which is very often) and we have sat by the water front windows many a time and I don't believe I have ever heard one person in my party or tables around us mention anything that is going on, on the lake as they are enjoying their delicious meal and talking about it through the whole meal.
EZ-Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
nj2nh

We, too, went to Sandy Point for breakfast and there were nine of us as well, but it was the Sunday before. Instead of breaking us up since there weren't two tables together in the back room, they set up for us in the main (front) dining room. The food was great, the service was excellent. No problems at all.

Would go there again and again and . . . .

nj2nh
Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
gokart-mozart

Default First Time Tonight

We went to Sandy Point for the first time tonight. I read all the comments here, but we like lobster and thought it was worth a chance.

Decor: It is what it is. Looks like a retro lobster shack/place - which, it is.

Food: Pretty good. Tips of claws were dried out - maybe the lobster spent some time in an oven after it came out of the water? Kid's meals were very reasonable $$, I have 7 kids so I appreciate that.

Service: Outstanding.

Prices: Honest, good disclosure of "market" prices, no surprises.

Would go back: Yes
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #21
phoenix

we went with a party of 8 on Friday night. All had lobster and all enjoyed. Was surprised a little with price increase especially with the price of lobster being down . 2 LB baked stuffed now $48
Old 10-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #22
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Sandy Point Gift Certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
we went with a party of 8 on Friday night. All had lobster and all enjoyed. Was surprised a little with price increase especially with the price of lobster being down . 2 LB baked stuffed now $48
Tonight we used the Sandy point gift certificate we won at the forum raffle. My mom had scallops, my sister had clams and I had prime rib. The food was delicious. After dinner I thanked the owner for providing the gift certificate for the forum. I also reminded her that the profit from the raffle went to the Meredith Food Pantry. She was very nice and thanked me for speaking with her. I sure wish the 2010 forum was still ahead of us. That would mean many more "warm" wonderful days out on the lake with family and friends.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #23
WinnDixie

Default Always liked Sandy Point

Always enjoyed going there...we tried this year to meet friends there...but we had come up so early in the season they were not open weekdays yet. Hoping to try again next year..a little later in summer. I'll admit it did not have the fanciest decor...but the baked stuffed lobster was always very good. Yikes, though, at $48 (or maybe more now)--get the piggy bank going right away! Kudos to them for supporting the Forum, in any case.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote