Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Katy D

Default George's Diner

went to George's Diner Friday night, got the all you can eat fish, $13.99, you have a choice of starch and vegetable. The fish was really good, the batter light and the fish (flounder) fresh. Just beware limited menu on Friday nights, only items on menu besides seafood was a steak, chicken tenders, hamburgers and hot dogs. They actually have a huge squeeze bottle of tartar sauce on the table. The turkey dinner (Tuesday's night special) is also very good, enough for two meals.
Katy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
john60ri

Default George's

Been to George's several times for breakfast, but never for dinner. Thanks for the heads up on the fish 'n chips - one of my favorites. Hope to try it on my vacation week.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Happy Gourmand

Default We were there on Friday night..

We spend many a Friday night dinner at George's, but last Friday night was especially good. In fact, I commented to my wife that the fish was probably the best we have ever had. Nice thick pieces of haddock...breaded and fried perfectly. They always do a great job, but we thought they were exceptionally good last Friday night.
Their breakfast is excellent too!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
dpg

They across from the old country store?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
jkjoshuatree

Default It's On Plymouth Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
They across from the old country store?
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...76412384039005

It's in Meredith, right near Mills Falls...kind of diagonally across the street from the lower parking lot.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
lake4life

I've patronized George's easily one hundred plus times, no exaggeration. They're always good for breakfast, and the Friday (now Sunday as well) fish fry is excellent. Roger, the owner, is a good guy and the waitstaff is always pleasant. One of the best bang-for-buck places I've been to anywhere.

If I had to say something negative about George's, it would be that breakfast on weekends (Summer, anyway) usually entails waiting for a table, and that the A/C is sometimes set to 'arctic'.
lake4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
dpg

Wait a minute, Roger own Georges Diner???
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Pontoon Goon

Default Monday night is my favorite

Monday night is all you can eat fried chicken. The first helping is enough to fill anyone and really good. Wait staff is always attentive and restaurant is clean.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
camp guy

Default George's Diner

What really sold me on George's Diner is that the first time I took my then 5 year old granddaughter for lunch the waitress pulled up a chair and sat down at the end of our table and talked face-to-face with my granddaughter about what she wanted for lunch, rather than standing and imposingly looking down at her (rather scary when you are 5). I thought that little move by the waitress was an expression of EXCELLENT customer service. I wish I knew her name.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
NoBozo

Default Vacation

Based on the reviews on this forum, ..we went to George's for the first Three times this week for breakfast . Took the 40 minute ride from Wolfeboro each time. Had the Breakfast Burrito the first two times and Sausage Benedict the last time. Totally Excellent. ..And.. the price for breakfast for two was $5 cheaper than an equivalent breakfast in Wolfeboro. OH Wait..there is no equivalent to George's in Wolfeboro. NB

PS: We were actually looking for the Village Kitchen because it would be closer and was also well recommended. Couldn't find it so we asked a policeman in Meridith. Found it on the way back from George's after two passes up and down Rt 25 (Moultonboro) by a place called "Country Cookiing". The name Village Kitchen is actually at the very bottom of the Country Cooking sign... in very FINE PRINT.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

George's is consistently great. We go often.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
NBR

The first time we went to Village Kitchenwe drove right past. Didn't see the correct sign until we returned and were in the parking lot!
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
jeffatsquam

How does it feel to drive by a place twice not be able to find it and when you do get there, There is a line out the door? JUST KIDDING.

But there has to be a yogisam in there some where
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
Newbiesaukee

Nobody goes to the V K anymore...you can't find it and there's always a line.

With apologies to Yogi and Samiam.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #15
dpg

Totally agree about the sign if your not familiar "The Village Kitchen" is difficult to notice. Your eyes naturally see and read "Real Country Cooking" first.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Based on the reviews on this forum, ..we went to George's for the first Three times this week for breakfast . Took the 40 minute ride from Wolfeboro each time. Had the Breakfast Burrito the first two times and Sausage Benedict the last time. Totally Excellent. ..And.. the price for breakfast for two was $5 cheaper than an equivalent breakfast in Wolfeboro. OH Wait..there is no equivalent to George's in Wolfeboro. NB

PS: We were actually looking for the Village Kitchen because it would be closer and was also well recommended. Couldn't find it so we asked a policeman in Meridith. Found it on the way back from George's after two passes up and down Rt 25 (Moultonboro) by a place called "Country Cookiing". The name Village Kitchen is actually at the very bottom of the Country Cooking sign... in very FINE PRINT.
That is too funny, we have been wanting to stop at the VK for years and could never find it, we are always riding around the lake on the bike and keeping an eye out for the VK for lunch and many many times I thought that maybe the Country Cookin' should be it but not the right name, so passed it by. happened again last week, but now I know. Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
Happy Gourmand

Default "Country Cookin'"

Isn't there also a "Country Cookin' " sign at the Lakeside (Formerly Waldo Pepper's) in Gilford?
I know it's the other side of the lake, but still seems close enough to cause some confusion about whether or not the owners are the same.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Isn't there also a "Country Cookin' " sign at the Lakeside (Formerly Waldo Pepper's) in Gilford?
I know it's the other side of the lake, but still seems close enough to cause some confusion about whether or not the owners are the same.
"country cookin" isn't the name of the place just a statement on the sign (in Moultonborough that is.) When I ask my wife if she wants to go to the Village Kitchen she looks at me with this blank stare like "where's that"?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
kauriel

Quote:
For newbies to the area it certainly can be confusing! We confused the two country cooking places along with Kitchen Cravings (just having kitchen in the name was enough to confuse me!). We've finally tried all 3 places and learned they are certainly different and delicious in their own ways

Oh, and this posting finally helped me understand where the old Waldo Pepper's used to be! Very sad that we never got to try them because it sounds like it was delicious!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Ate breakfast at Country Cooking in Gilford last month and was very impressed.We were in a rush and mentioned that and we had our food in less than 5 minutes.All 4 meals were great.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
NoBozo

Default Georges Diner for Breakfast

Went there for breakfast Saturday morning 27 April, 2013. Had the breakfast Burito....as usual. Still WAY too much to eat. The Burito is really Light though. There's the Burito with a PILE of lettuce, Salsa, Sour Cream....and then.... the Platter of home frys on the side. Way too much for an old coot who may... get a "Reaction" due to Old Age (71).

Everything worked out..no reaction..Older folks probably know more about this than the younger folks who can EAT Anything without consequences.

Georges is THE BEST...Not just in the Lakes Region..I'm from Newport, RI. Nothing comparable to Georges down here. NB
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #22
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Country Cook'n at the Lakeside.
We either go there of Union diner formerly Paugus diner.
But when on the Meredith side and looking for breakfast always Georges.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #23
kchadw

Default george's Diner

Getting ready for our anually trek to the mtns. and lake region...just remarked to my wife yesterday..." it'll be nice to get back to a breakfast at Georges in Meredith...and lunch and dinner too...lol....staying closer to Meredith this year...so probably visit more often.

Looking forward to getting back to my former home state of N. H.
kchadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw View Post
Getting ready for our anually trek to the mtns. and lake region...just remarked to my wife yesterday..." it'll be nice to get back to a breakfast at Georges in Meredith...and lunch and dinner too...lol....staying closer to Meredith this year...so probably visit more often.

Looking forward to getting back to my former home state of N. H.
Right behind you all the way to Meredith> Had all the sun and surf I can take.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
GTO

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Nobody goes to the V K anymore...you can't find it and there's always a line.

With apologies to Yogi and Samiam.
If nobody goes there anymore....how can there be a line?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #26
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

George's has been a regular stop for years especially for lunch when on a bike ride.

It was very nice riding today and we hit George's just prior to noon. I had a hot pastrami with swiss on rye, my wife had a reuben with fries and we both had an ice tea. The grilled sandwiches were both way overdone with grease and the fries were soggy. The bill with tax came to $23.50, way over what the lunch was worth.

Sadly will look for another lunch stop in that area.

We often have lunch at the Lakeside with much better food and a more reasonable price.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #27
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
George's has been a regular stop for years especially for lunch when on a bike ride.

It was very nice riding today and we hit George's just prior to noon. I had a hot pastrami with swiss on rye, my wife had a reuben with fries and we both had an ice tea. The grilled sandwiches were both way overdone with grease and the fries were soggy. The bill with tax came to $23.50, way over what the lunch was worth.

We often have lunch at the Lakeside with much better food and a more reasonable price.
Bummer, I thought about stopping there yesterday, returning back through Meredith at noon from a job on Little Squam.
I instead opted for the $5.00 footlong at subway. Mine was great as it always is.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #28
kchadw

Hey Sunbeam,

I think there are a few more from Fl. heading for the lakes and mtn. region about now too....Gee, we should all meet at George's during the summa...

Have a safe trip....we're leaving on or about the 11th with stops in W. Va. and Ma. before heading for the Thornton area.. I drive the bus at the zip line in Lincoln on the Kanc., one day a week usually on Sat. If you, ( or anyone else ) are up that way...say hello...
kchadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
Happy Gourmand

Quote:

I wouldn't give up on George's because of one bad meal. The reviews for this place are overwhelmingly positive and have been for years.
We are regulars on Friday nights starting again soon. Overall, for consistency and overall value, Georges rates very high in my book, and I am sure that many other forum members would agree.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner, we've been there for all of them. We have never experienced an "off day" there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-01-2013), Natt (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
Greene's Basin Girl

I live here year-round and I eat at Georges's all the time. It is one of my favorite restaurants.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #31
Ross_t

Quote:

I'm a Georges regular and I've noticed food and service going down hill this year. Not sure I'm going back after really poor service last visit. I hope they can turn this around.
Ross_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #32
Natt

Default George's

My only complaint about George's is that the servings are so large. I have a quilty conscience when not finishing the food. Quality and service have been very good minus a minor glich once in a rare while.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #33
Bigstan

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_t View Post
I'm a Georges regular and I've noticed food and service going down hill this year. Not sure I'm going back after really poor service last visit. I hope they can turn this around.

Same here - no food problem, the food has never changed. It's standard offerings with reasonable price tags and consistent quality. Nothing fancy.

Having service glitches there are a new experience for me, but we had two in a row this year, and maybe 4 overall. They are minor things that are easily fixed - this weekend it was watching our food sit in the window for ~ 7-10 minutes (not knowing for certain that it was ours until it was brought over) while the waitress talked people she knew at another table. Other waitresses shuffled our plates out of the way to get to theirs repeatedly. At some point if someone else had brought them over it would have been fine, but the result was two of five dishes no longer being hot by the time they arrived. Sending them back would have worked had the waitress reappeared.....but she didn't until it was check time.

Someone in charge would be good, it seems everyone works on their own with no structure. As they have a constant line out the door I guess they really don't care, and I can understand that.

So from now on we'll drive to Kitchen Cravings before hopping on the boat to Meredith - as the saying goes you get what you pay for.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
NoBozo

We were up for vacation (2 weeks) in late September. We did Georges 3 times for breakfast. We stay in Wolfeboro. It's a 40 minute trip..we feel it's WELL worth the drive.

However: Sometimes..Too much food for two old farts to eat. The last time, we deleted one order (included) of (Big) toast.

On the "Way Out" of Wolfeboro on our last day, heading back to RI, we headed North.. to Georges.

We also like The Front Porch in Wolfeboro. Each has a particular breakfast meal that we like....And BOTH are consistent. NB

PS: I'm old enough to remember my mother reminding me: "Remember The Children In Europe"..(Just after WWII.) Eat everything on your plate. THEY may not have that luxury.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #35
Greene's Basin Girl

Yes- the portion sizes at George's are large. This is not a problem. My husband and I get take-out often. We get one dinner to go and we split it.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #36
Reilly

Default Beer

are you still allowed to bring beer or wine to dinner, for years they allowed BYOB ??
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #37
Legionnaire70

Thumbs down

Had breakfast here today... Not at all impressed!

How do you screw up eggs?? I asked for over-medium and was served 2 extra runny eggs.. The muffin I ordered was dry as a bone and a mouse couldn't survive on the portion of beans they give you.

I won't rush back that's for sure
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #38
Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 View Post
Had breakfast here today... Not at all impressed!

How do you screw up eggs?? I asked for over-medium and was served 2 extra runny eggs.. The muffin I ordered was dry as a bone and a mouse couldn't survive on the portion of beans they give you.

I won't rush back that's for sure
Hope you spoke to the waitress, as they are very accomodating! Great place or it wouldn't still be in business! Sorry for your experience, as we ate there this morning and it was wonderful as usual!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #39
glennsteely

Thumbs up Thumbs up for George's!!

We ate there a couple of times over the past weekend and it was excellent! Nice portions, good prices and most of all, great service!!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #40
Lakewinn1

Thumbs up George's

Great food and Service!

Eat there several times during the summer season and always found the food to be of good quality and the service to be professional and friendly.
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #41
Ross_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Same here - no food problem, the food has never changed. It's standard offerings with reasonable price tags and consistent quality. Nothing fancy.
I beg to differ, both my wife have gone away from lunch on a couple occasions thinking wow, that item used to be one of my favorites, it wasn't good. I'll wait for a couple months and give it another try.

Tried Georges again last weekend for lunch and the food and service were good. I'm glad we gave it another try.

Last edited by Ross_t; 02-21-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #42
Ross_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_t View Post
I beg to differ, both my wife have gone away from lunch on a couple occasions thinking wow, that item used to be one of my favorites, it wasn't good. I'll wait for a couple months and give it another try.

Tried Georges again last weekend for lunch and the food and service were good. I'm glad we gave it another try.
Had lunch at Georges this past weekend. Very good food and service. Glad to recommend this place again.