Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default 53 apply

Here's a clue to what's happening in the local construction jobs-employment scene in Laconia/Belmont. Thought I'd pass this job listing along as I search hopelessly in the available local jobs pool. Hey, talk about a very shallow pool! Will I ever work again? ...wudda....wudda...wudda...woe is me!
"craigslist posting id# 1591067602, February 8, 2010

Carpenter/Laborer (Laconia/Belmont)

Thankyou all for resopnding!!!
Sadly I can't hire 53 carpenter/laborers. I have selected one for the position. As for the rest of you, I will keep your contacts for future need.

Must have basic pouch tools.
Experience with Framing & Siding is a plus. Work is not full time ... perhaps 3-4 weeks to wrap up current projects. New projects are scheduled for mid-late March.

Compensation: $12.00-$15.00 per hour cash pay"

And that's the way it is, as seen in a local craigslist classified ad, here in Belknap County, NH; home of the second highest rate of unemployment, 7.5%, in the state (11 counties total), after 9.4% Coos County way-up-north, for December 2009. Have yet to see any numbers for January 2010.

So, how does Belknap County get itself out of this demographic.......like....what's the cure that is needed here, doctor?

As Franklin Roosevelt or Bill Clinton or somebody once said: "The best social program around is a good paying j-o-b!"

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-10-2010 at 08:24 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
ITD

Don't worry Less, Obama will take care of you.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
DEJ

Default FLL, found a job for you

Here ya go Bud, no excuse not to have a job. Let us know how you make out.

http://www.wmur.com/money/18651625/detail.html
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
fatlazyless

OK...will apply and let you know how I make out applying for this NH federal census-taker position.

Considering that I had 25-years at one job involving lots of talking with the public at a retail level, I would most definately be a natural as a census-taker. Plus, I drive a crummy little old Ford sedan with like 11 years and 170-k miles so it's not like I'd be driving into your 3-mil dollar mcmansion in an Audi or a Lexus....... along with an Audi-Lexus attitude...........capiche!

Can someone do me a favor and pull up a link to the actual craigslist listing under jobs-New Hampshire as my links never seem to work....?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-10-2010 at 08:20 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
NoRegrets

At least you wont be driving a Toyota at high speeds!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
dpg

28th year in the same company and going strong. I often complain like anybody about having to get up and go to work but I know (deeply) I'm very lucky to be working. Never been laid off in my life from anywhere, always moved on at my own decision.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
ApS

Exclamation It's an Important Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...OK...will apply and let you know how I make out applying for this NH federal census-taker position..."
I had that job, but in Miami.

Warning:

I lost 20 pounds, got fit, got a tan, learned some Spanish, earned months of bucks and participated in an important event conducted every decade.

Over time, however, a number of troubling things emerged:

1) At the halfway point, we had a second meeting for any questions or problems with the count. I had physically collected about 50% of my count. The similar region abutting mine was allotted to an elderly New York gentleman, who advised me that he had participated in earlier Census counts.

At this point, I started to panic, because his count was finished!

I also noted his "hospital pallor". Hmmm. Hmmm.

2) The Census eventually apportions Representatives to the House of Representatives; however, the Census' "final count" is estimated!

3) The same source above reports that the count can be fabricated by Census-takers who can skew the count by a million or more.

How? "The Curbstone Guess".

4) I watched with alarm when this year's Census was transferred to the custody of The White House! (Later rescinded).

Quote:
"The larger debate prompted seven former Census directors...to sign a letter last year supporting a bill to turn the Census Bureau into an independent agency after the 2010 Census. 'It is vitally important that the American public have confidence that the census results have been produced by an independent, non-partisan, apolitical, and scientific Census Bureau,'..."
In short, Census-takers will have both responsibility and an opportunity:

1) Do the job right will add or subtract Representatives apportioned to each state.

2) Doing the job wrong will transfer power and money to Washington.

Even while employed as a census taker, I had no idea what effect "curbstone counts" could do to US citizen-taxpayers.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Compensation: $12.00-$15.00 per hour cash pay"
To me, that is a danger sign. Cash pay means under the table, no SS or income tax W/H, no unemployment benefits and, if you get hurt on the job, no Workers Comp. Bad deal, plus you are open to action by the IRS.

By not paying into SS, unemployment and Workers Comp, the employer is stealing from you. If he steals from his employees, he will steal from anyone.

There is better out there for you FLL. Don't give up.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Anton

I've always found with the businesses I've worked for that when you cut their taxes they usually choose to invest in their company and perhaps create jobs. Of course, this isn't a given, they could just take the money and spend it.

I lost my job yesterday. He says it was because Unemployment rules changed and he was no longer able to operate the business as he had (11 months open, one month closed). So he took his money and ran, and let go 20 people in the process.

That's business, and that's this screwed up economy I suppose. I only wish perhaps the government could let working people be, allow them to grow and create jobs instead of cutting their feet off every which way possible.
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

We need more like you to come to NH, Anton! Welcome!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote