Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Teddyballgame

Default Local Service Businesses

With the exception of a very few service businesses and their owners/representatives, I have noticed over the last several years that responsiveness, performance and customer service standards have been deteriorating here on the southeast side of the lake.

From landscaping and waterfront services, painting and small carpentry jobs to restaurants, meat and seafood markets, they seem to be operating with the same culture. That culture is, you the consumer are here for me and because I'm doing a job for you or waiting on you, I'm doing my job (however poorly that may be), that is good enough and you should appreciate the job that I'm doing. Many don't return calls, their promises are unkept, workmanship is shotty, products are delivered at a less than acceptable standard with representatives and staff poorly trained to handle customer questions and concerns. The perception that we are left with is, that we, the consumer are an inconvenience or bother to them. Is this what we are expected to accept? What is happening to "I want to deliver the best customer service and product possible"?

Owners, please train your rep's and staff to deliver a timely quality product with a high standard of service, and hold them accountable for meeting it. I want and need to be treated professionally, fairly and with respect. I want to be a repeat customer. I have and continue to search for services and trades that return calls and earn my business. If you are that responsive business that delivers a quality product at a fair price with great customer service please reply to this post, I will be a customer that you'll be happy to have.
Teddyballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teddyballgame For This Useful Post:
Flyfisha (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Won’t disagree with you, however, I wouldn’t be using such a broad brush. I must add, this past week a started looking for a new vet for our “old” dog. Five called, three not taking new customers, one was three weeks away to see, and the fifth never called back after leaving two messages. Driving back to MA

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
DBreskin

There’s high demand and short supply, which means you may have to put up with poor service or end up with no service.

I need to find a new dentist after moving here from out of state and four out of five aren’t taking new patients. The fifth has a >6-month wait for a new patient appointment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
8gv

If a business can maintain high standards of customer satisfaction they will out perform their competition.

The difficult part of that mission is finding enough people capable of delivering that level of satisfaction.

As the pool of available employees shrinks it becomes harder to enforce standards.

When the employees know that they are not easily replaced, giving 50% instead of 100% becomes habit.

Business owners can lose sight of their own goals due to the frustration of short staffing.

It can get bad enough where the main criteria for employment is to show up.

Couple this with a strong demand for services and you get what the O.P. has lamented.

It will turn around as it always does but there is a little bit of permanent damage done in each cycle.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Beardude (08-30-2020), indian (08-30-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default 8gv

While I find most of what you wrote holds true, your final line is the core of what changes things- very true.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
FlyingScot

Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital was excellent for us just yesterday. They accepted us immediately though we had never been there before, and they provided excellent care and a smile. Most importantly, they cured our dog of a urinary tract infection, saving us a drive to Mass, and our dog a miserable weekend.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
WinnisquamZ

Thanks, will try

Old 08-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Be a good customer

I'm not on the OP's side of the lake, but having been involved in service and retail business for many years I understand the frustrations. For at least two years folks on this forum have been discussing lack of staff at many, especially summer, businesses. Two businesses I have frequented for many years recently expressed dismay that customers were irate with staff over things they had no control over. Like "I can't get a reservation on the day and time I want it because you're full?!" No employee deserves to be barked at for something like that. Then you give your name and accept a different date. Maybe they remember that name? How do you want to be remembered?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Hats off to forum members!

Much of what OP stated is true, unfortunately. However, it’s not always the case. We have had local services over the years here ranging from fantastic to just plain horrible. What I have found is that fellow forum members are really helpful when you are searching for a specific service, providing specific information and links to the proper websites. We are grateful for this valuable assistance.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (08-30-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
8gv

He who retains the best people wins.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #11
Teddyballgame

Great response, always looking for solutions. Am very concerned that without speaking up, service businesses may simply accept a lesser standard as the norm. Thanks for the responses.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #12
Teddyballgame

And by the way, I have a few great people/service companies that I work with and Winter Harbor Veterinary is one of them.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #13
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
I need to find a new dentist after moving here from out of state and four out of five aren’t taking new patients. The fifth has a >6-month wait for a new patient appointment.
Obtain copies of all of your dental records and x-rays.

You will be lucky to find any dentist that does not want to re-do your entire teeth/tooth work. From $3,000 to over $10,000. That everything that your previous dentist did was incorrect, poorly done, too old, and on and on.

Some dental practices are owned by large nationwide corporations. Others just by one dentist or partnership.

Hope someone can chime in with a good local honest dental practice.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #14
Poor Richard

I'm not responding to pump my company but I can say from my own experience that simply keeping up with quotes for potential jobs is a part time job in itself.

Scheduling jobs and completing them correctly and in time is the easy part. Making time to sit down and carve out a fair price for labor and materials is what I'm finding to be an area I need to improve on. Does this mean I am not a quality vendor? No. It means that I need to change certain structures within the company so I can respond efficiently to the more complex quotes while still maintaining a healthy balance with the personal side of things.

Right now, I owe 2 phone calls to 2 forum members as I am months behind on responding to them after our respective meetings. I say this because it's a reality that I face as a result of having a schedule that's flush with work.

In addition to my statements above, the trusted individuals I use for certain jobs present their own challenges with regards to scheduling their help to line up with my calendar. It's not easy to get these things to line up.

That all said, I cannot and do not speak for any other business whatsoever and simply wanted to offer a glimpse of perspective based on what I've experienced on my own.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #15
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
another member has already sent me a private message with a recommendation. In the meantime, I’ll travel back to my previous state solely for a dental visit. Ugh.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Time is of the essence

I used to have a contactcor in the lakes region I could send an email Monday and when I returned on Friday, the job was done. He sold e the business and the successor was not good at email or telephone, so we went elsewhere. The new guy wants to give estimates and waste a week on every job. I guess it will take time to train him. START the job. FINISH the job. SEND the bill. In a short season, a few dollars one way or another are a lot less important than having access to the camp.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #17
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
I'm not responding to pump my company but I can say from my own experience that simply keeping up with quotes for potential jobs is a part time job in itself.

Scheduling jobs and completing them correctly and in time is the easy part. Making time to sit down and carve out a fair price for labor and materials is what I'm finding to be an area I need to improve on. Does this mean I am not a quality vendor? No. It means that I need to change certain structures within the company so I can respond efficiently to the more complex quotes while still maintaining a healthy balance with the personal side of things.

Right now, I owe 2 phone calls to 2 forum members as I am months behind on responding to them after our respective meetings. I say this because it's a reality that I face as a result of having a schedule that's flush with work.

In addition to my statements above, the trusted individuals I use for certain jobs present their own challenges with regards to scheduling their help to line up with my calendar. It's not easy to get these things to line up.

That all said, I cannot and do not speak for any other business whatsoever and simply wanted to offer a glimpse of perspective based on what I've experienced on my own.
I hear you PR but being two months behind on responding to folks is only okay if (1) you quickly made it clear to them - at your initial meeting - that it would take you two months to respond and (2) when that two months expires, you actually respond. If weeks are going by where you are just busy and you don't get around to it, then you're stringing them along. Being flush with work isn't a good excuse. In these cases, just say 'thank you but I'm too busy'. People will appreciate your honesty since that quality can be so difficult to find these days.

I'm glad you recognize that you need to make a change. Too many contractors either don't recognize their problems or they don't care.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:48 AM   #18
Poor Richard

While I appreciate your feedback, again, I posted an example from my own situation hoping it would help offer some perspective for OP.

I feel very lucky to say I am growing a business. During that growth there will need to be adjustments along the way and seeing this thread caused me to realize my oversight, which is why I posted about it.

Point is, it happens even with the people who care about their business and FWIW, they are the only two calls I've ever slipped on.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 06:26 AM   #19
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital was excellent for us just yesterday. They accepted us immediately though we had never been there before, and they provided excellent care and a smile. Most importantly, they cured our dog of a urinary tract infection, saving us a drive to Mass, and our dog a miserable weekend.
Same story here....babysitting my daughters golden and she came down with a urinary infection,Dr Almstom in Meredith took her right in even though he was busy and saved the day.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:42 AM   #20
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
While I appreciate your feedback, again, I posted an example from my own situation hoping it would help offer some perspective for OP.

I feel very lucky to say I am growing a business. During that growth there will need to be adjustments along the way and seeing this thread caused me to realize my oversight, which is why I posted about it.

Point is, it happens even with the people who care about their business and FWIW, they are the only two calls I've ever slipped on.
If those are the only two calls you’ve ever slipped on then you are my hero. I’m in the service business and your focus on recognizing shortcomings, being upfront about them, and doing something to adjust, is what I so seldom see these days. Still, pick-up that phone right away and reach out to those two people.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #21
MotorHead

Last Friday we purchased a household appliance from Lowes to be delivered today, Sunday. We never received the confirmation call on Saturday.

Called Lowes customer service and was told our name did not make the delivery manifest, Lowes is not responsible for the delivery and the appliance will get delivered when it gets delivered. Exact words.

How is that for service?

Last edited by MotorHead; 08-30-2020 at 10:54 AM.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #22
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

You will be lucky to find any dentist that does not want to re-do your entire teeth/tooth work. From $3,000 to over $10,000. That everything that your previous dentist did was incorrect, poorly done, too old, and on and on.

Some dental practices are owned by large nationwide corporations. Others just by one dentist or partnership.

I find this to be true about local dental practice. My previous dentist teach at Tufts dental school. He did excellent work on my teeth. When I moved here, I shopped around and found a 'good' dentist. After examining my teeth and mumbled something about the amatuer work on my dentals, I told him to stop right there and I move on. Keep looking!
DBreskin (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #23
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
Last Friday we purchased a household appliance from Lowes to be delivered today, Sunday. We never received the confirmation call on Saturday.

Called Lowes customer service and was told our name did not make the delivery manifest, Lowes is not responsible for the delivery and the appliance will get delivered when it gets delivered. Exact words.

How is that for service?
In my opinion the company you pay is the company that is responsible.

Just because they sub out the delivery work does not mean Lowes is not responsible.

If you have enough time, call their CEO.

You won't get to him/her/shim/it but along the way up the ladder you may find someone who will compensate you in some way.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I have heard of several people with Lowe’s issues lately. What is wrong with them?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
GTO (09-01-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #25
phoenix

Same with getting a dog groomed . One never return a call twice the other finally returned and said October first opening. We found a woman in center harbor that did our daughters dogs 25 years ago and she did it
Old 08-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #26
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I have heard of several people with Lowe’s issues lately. What is wrong with them?
Lowe's business model is to be cheaper than Home Depot, which is already too cheap to provide good product/service. I go to one of the local guys whenever I can. Bradley's in Wolfeboro is excellent. The Aubuchon in Moultonborough is very good.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #27
WinnisquamZ

Last month we purchased a refrigerator from Lowe’s. Delivery team was out of Salem NH. Salem to Tilton then over to Laconia

Old 08-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #28
GTO

Default Dentist

Quote:

When I first moved up here I had to switch dentists and Circle Dental had just put in the new building on rte 104. after going there a few times I realized they were trying to pay off that building by doing unnecessary work on me. I switched to Dr Detolla on rte 25 in Meredith and have been very happy there
Old 08-30-2020, 10:23 PM   #29
Irish mist

Dental care in the Lakes Region is terrible...and that's being kind.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:27 AM   #30
MDoug

Default Local BUsinesses

The best local service business has got to be the Meredith Aubuchon, where Rich is manager. He has trained his employees to be yes people.

As for other businesses, I'm sure the seasonal nature of the area has an adverse effect on their getting good employees and providing good service.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:35 PM   #31
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When I first moved up here I had to switch dentists and Circle Dental had just put in the new building on rte 104. after going there a few times I realized they were trying to pay off that building by doing unnecessary work on me. I switched to Dr Detolla on rte 25 in Meredith and have been very happy there
I pass by this place everyday- saw it sitting with that god-awful sign out front (still there- different message).

Your post reflects the type of thing I thought would happen, if ever someone invested in it.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #32
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Dental care in the Lakes Region is terrible...and that's being kind.
Sorry- Not only do I NOT worry about going to my dentist- I go, knowing I'll be better off when i leave.

I started going to this office about 26 years ago- felt the same way about the original dentist/owner as I feel about the new dentist/owner, who bought the business about 4 years ago. Great service/people/atmosphere/results.

Guess I'm lucky.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:46 PM   #33
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoug View Post
The best local service business has got to be the Meredith Aubuchon, where Rich is manager. He has trained his employees to be yes people.

As for other businesses, I'm sure the seasonal nature of the area has an adverse effect on their getting good employees and providing good service.
Totally AGREE on Meredith Aubuchon, and Rich/his people!
Old 08-31-2020, 01:11 PM   #34
WinnisquamZ

Never been inside. Barn Z is a good take. The parking lot is very busy and difficult to enter and exit. I move on to center harbor and back to laconia if need too

Old 08-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #35
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Sorry- Not only do I NOT worry about going to my dentist- I go, knowing I'll be better off when i leave.

I started going to this office about 26 years ago- felt the same way about the original dentist/owner as I feel about the new dentist/owner, who bought the business about 4 years ago. Great service/people/atmosphere/results.

Guess I'm lucky.
Good for you. By & large most dental practices in this area are abysmal. You can read the complaints right in this thread.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:35 PM   #36
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default No offense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Good for you. By & large most dental practices in this area are abysmal. You can read the complaints right in this thread.
Yeah, I know- that's why I wrote what I wrote!
Old 08-31-2020, 01:37 PM   #37
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
I started going to this office about 26 years ago
Are you willing to share the name of the practice?
Old 08-31-2020, 11:48 PM   #38
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
Are you willing to share the name of the practice?
Now known as Wolfeboro Family Dental.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:45 AM   #39
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Jeep is that the one across from the bank? I hear good things about them.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:24 AM   #40
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Jeep is that the one across from the bank? I hear good things about them.
Yes. Even though the personnel has changed over the years it's still like family (no pun)-very friendly and welcoming- first name basis and we aren't afraid to tell personal stories to each other as we work.

Great business- I almost don't don' even think of it as a business.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #41
radioman

Default local businesses

After 20 yrs, I vote for Rich and his crew without a single reservation!! Even the cat is so very pleasant!!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote