Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Jonas Pilot

Default Fishing lures.

You could catch just about anything that swims with this selection. What's your favorite and why?

Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
jmen24

1. Harry lure for trolling around and use in the eddys in some small rivers for rainbows. Why, it works really well and Harry was an old co-worker of my fathers and is still a good friend. I have probably 25 different size and color combo's from 4" down to 2".

2. The bent rainbows you have in your picture. That lure has produced more trout in streams and rivers for me than any other lure I carry in my trout pack. Again, I have all the color options (I have found, but gold is a lock in most cases) in the 3? different sizes they offer. Great Lure.

3. Its funny, I think I am the only person that has never caught a trout on a Rooster tail. For many, that is the go to lure, but it has my number and I have had 0 luck with it, not even a bite that comes to mind.

When my grandfather passed away, I inherated his entire fishing collection which included, 10 or so rods (mostly bass and crappy, with a custom made three piece fly rod that was manufactured at the beginning of composite technology and a 11ft, 7/8 spey fly rod and the saltwater reel to go with it (I will tell you nothing is as exciting as standing chest deep in the surf and slinging a 5" Silverside fly past your head), a few extra reels (old top shelf stuff that works great). I also recieved 5 two sided tackle boxes full of lures and anything that a 70 year long fishing hobby could collect, short of eliminating the small lead stuff, I still have all of it and use those boxes as a lure replacement inventory that I will probably never exhaust. But none of it lives up to the memories of sitting in the bow of his aluminum boat as a kid learning how to fish or sitting in his fly tying/reloading room practicing no-slip mono knots, priceless.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (08-19-2010), Jonas Pilot (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
ApS

Cool Top-Center, Orange...The "Flatfish"...

All us neighbors had at least one: we nick-named it "The Flattie". I had just one for decades.

(Had to look it up among these, to be sure).

'Came out just before the "Mepps". "Mepps" in the picture are mostly in the left- and right- hand rows. The first Mepps arrived from France and proved much better than "The Flattie".

I used a three-piece bamboo pole made and lacquered by hand in mid-50s Japan. To separate the three lengths, it arrived in a 3-pocket silk sleeve. All was contained within an 2" aluminum tube having a "bayonet" cap (½-turn) with a thin cork seal.

I used an ultra-lite spinning reel with it, and broke it in the landing of a 28" grass pickerel.

Back then, we night-trolled Winnipesaukee's shorelines without navigation lights. I caught mostly Bass and "Roach" which (I forget) back then may have been actually the "Fallfish".

The catch I'll never forget using the "Flattie"???

A freshwater mussel!

Last edited by ApS; 08-19-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Tidy the words some...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-20-2010)