Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
The Hairy Beast

Default Ice Fishing The Winnipesaukee Derby, Placed In 2 Categories (Pics&Video)

Every year a bunch of the Beast’s old High School buddies gather to fish the Winni Ice Derby out of Meredith New Hampshire. Top prize for a tagged Rainbow Trout is a boat, but there are categories for Laker, Cusk and such too. There are daily prizes for tagged and untagged fish as well. This year we managed to place in two: 2nd for Lakers and 10th for untagged rainbow. A taste:

This was our home base – our host’s summer lakefront home. We basically fished in his front yard:

Saturday morning was brutally cold and overcast, we were up at first light setting up traps and tip-ups:

Got the heat going in the shanty:

Craig started setting up for breakfast:

The Beast’s son was not impressed with the ambient temps out there, note the reproachful teenager glare:

While the hardier souls set out the traps:

Breakfast was fried sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes and english muffins. By the time we got back we were ready for something hot in our stomachs. Coffee with Baileys hit the spot too.

Sunup took a bit of the edge off.

The girlfriends showed up after a bit. Women are not allowed to stay over, but they can visit during the day. Strict rule: NO WIVES!

We had a bonfire the night before and there were a few who opted to stay in the bunkhouse a bit longer than others.

Then we waited, eagle-eyed for the first flag (we got a bit pie-eyed after we broke into the Captain Morgans).

We even had a horseshoe pit on the ice, as well as a hockey rink.

And other distractions for the kids, including this novel idea: a shopping cart on skis.

There were Perch aplenty.

And early Cusk

Late morning, our wait was rewarded! The next generation tied into a fine 3.4 pound untagged Rainbow! Here’s the video – warning, f-bomb alert!

This fish did get us on the boards, but only 10th place. But we were happy.

Lunch was handmade venison sausage and pepper subs.

Later afternoon we played liar’s poker and waited. Only perch from then on.

But we had fun anyway

Then it was back to our humble base-camp for a dinner of pasta with red sauce made from venison sausage and ground beef and black bear meat.

Sunday morning some people had to leave early. Those who stayed were rewarded, though. Craig set up a jigging spot and nailed a beautiful Laker.

Before…

After:

That fish got him second place. We took off around three and the Beast had his first shower in two days. Thanks to our host and everybody who worked so hard to make this weekend so memorable! Tight lines, all!
The Hairy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to The Hairy Beast For This Useful Post:
Bear Island South (02-15-2011), DRH (02-16-2011), fatlazyless (02-15-2011), Grant (02-15-2011), hazelnut (02-15-2011), ishoot308 (02-15-2011), jmen24 (02-15-2011), Lakegeezer (02-15-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (02-15-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (02-20-2011), riverat (01-05-2012), SteveA (02-18-2011), Sunbeam lodge (02-20-2011), Sunset Bob (02-18-2011), tis (02-15-2011), trfour (02-15-2011), welchislandman (02-15-2011), Winnisquamguy (02-15-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

3:17 am posting beast? Great trip report. Looks like fun had by all. Even the woman. You might hear about that one.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Thanks Beast!

That's what it is all about!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Where?

Hi Hairy Beast!

Thanks for the great fishing / fun report! Just curious where on the lake is your buddy's camp??

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
The Hairy Beast

Siskur: Yeah, 3am. I don't get home from work til 1am, but I don't have to be in til 4pm, so it's great fishing hours. Come spring I'll be able to spend six hours a day at Alton chasing salmon if I want. Every. Single. Day.

Ishoot308: Sorry, I was sworn to secrecy.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your fun experience with us. Great pictures and video. Thanks for the smile!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
eillac@dow

Awesome post. Great pics and video. Sounds like you guys had a blast. Congrats on your catches! Thanks for sharing!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
natureboy79

nice beast!, definitely a derby to remember. great pictures. what are you using for a camera?
natureboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy79 View Post
nice beast!, definitely a derby to remember. great pictures. what are you using for a camera?
Nothing special - Kodak EZ Share. The main issue out there was the variability of the light. One minute the clouds were everywhere and it was downright murky, then the sun would come out and there was so much light the auto focus couldn't lock in.

BTW - in case my ability to reply to PM's isn't enabled yet, I give permission to all and sundry to use these pics. Just tell me what you are going to do with them, beforehand.

Last edited by The Hairy Beast; 02-18-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: adding ever more
Old 02-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
The Hairy Beast

Yep, it appears that I can read PM's but I can't reply to them or initiate them. So if you want to use these pics I'll have to ask for an email. I'll make the raw files available in higher rez format in return.

Sound fair?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
trfour

Default You Must Be The Hairy Beast Too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hairy Beast View Post
Nothing special - Kodak EZ Share. The main issue out there was the variability of the light. One minute the clouds were everywhere and it was downright murky, then the sun would come out and there was so much light the auto focus couldn't lock in.

BTW - in case my ability to reply to PM's isn't enabled yet, I give permission to all and sundry to use these pics. Just tell me what you are going to do with them, beforehand.
Not that I ever wanted to get caught in a fishing derby, less my disco shirt, WAY BACK, I was concidered a hairy beast as well. Besides the double chins, I got hooked some more!

Thank you for sharing your great pictures!!!!

trfour

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Not that I ever wanted to get caught in a fishing derby, less my disco shirt, WAY BACK, I was concidered a hairy beast as well. Besides the double chins, I got hooked some more!

Thank you for sharing your great pictures!!!!

trfour

Terry

Last edited by The Hairy Beast; 02-21-2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: pour spelin an gramer
Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
The Hairy Beast

Will-we-ever-have-ice-bump!