Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Pineedles

Question Cemetery

A Final resting place. A place where relatives and friends can visit and be comforted with the memories of those departed. Well, I don't intend on shaking off this restless coil soon but. What gives me thoughts of such endings, rather than soon futures is that I am thinking far into to future, perhaps 6 or 7 generations beyond what is. Not to live in the future, rather the question of a mention of my name and some curiosity evoked from some Lad or Lass whose surname is the same as that carved into the mossy granite at their feet. Who was he/she? What was he/she like?

As many of us profess to love this Lakes Region who do not live here, have any of you given any thought as to when you wish to leave it, or not? The last day of summer, or the last day of our lives. We pack for one and get "packed" by others for the latter. I don't want you'all getting depressed, I want you to think about the joy that you could be providing to your children, grandchildren, and beyond by letting them know how much you loved this place. At least this is the thought process that I'm following.

I have a Grandparents interred in Center Sandwich who I enjoyed when they were alive, and visit now that they no longer walk this earth. Nearby my Grandfather's grave is his Great Grandfather's grave that is mentioned in my Grandfather's epitaph. I would like to become a part of this family (some time long into the future), but not being a resident it may be difficult as it is not a family cemetery.

My questions to you this family of Lake Lovers is, have you thought about where you're going, (sorry to be so crass) how does your significant other feel about it, is there someplace here in the Lakes Region that you are planning on going (sorry again) OR, do you have plans on departing like a couple of relatives of mine, who had their ashes scattered into the Great Spirit.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
Lady Di

Default My ashes will be scattered everywhere

Everywhere that I have ever loved, at least I am hoping for that. Of course we cannot plan everything, but if I were to have my way, some of "me" would be scattered over the Pacific, some in Florida, but mostly in New Hampshire, as that is where both of my children were born.

And, hopefully, that scattering would be on a warm day.

Ain't no way I want people to think of me "moldering in the ground".
Old 11-19-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
Pepper

Pineedles, it's interesting to me that you bring up this topic at this time, as it is something I have recently given thought to.

I had always been of the mindset that I didn't want to be stuffed in the ground for eternity, but rather have my ashes strewn in a favorite place, Bermuda.

However, recent events in my life have caused me to completely reverse that way of thinking. Such reversal having caused me now to ponder the very question you pose above - where. The answer - home - here - the only place that ever "spoke" to me.

There are many peaceful and beautiful such resting places all around the lake, and I feel confident that should you choose to locate yourself for eternity here, there is a place which you will find suitable and which will welcome you.

Eerie but interesting topic, which is actually an expression of the "ultimate" love of our beautiful Lakes Region.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
Pineedles

Default No mold

I thought cremation is the way to go as well Lady Di. I was thinking more of the headstone as the connection to future generations. What is of concern to me is more where? Some place quiet and pleasant to visit. The acre upon acre of typical cemeteries don't appeal. A smaller more intimite site is what I had in mind. I was wondering if in the lakes region there are sites that fit that bill. Perhaps something with a view of the lake. Uh OH, I wonder if they tax more heavily graveyards with a view? I can't see why, the residents can't see anything. Sorry, just a little levity. But I really am serious; are there such places around the lake, I wonder?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
phoenix

i think Broadhopper's signature says it best
Old 11-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Jeez.

Never thought anyone will read my signature.

'We are known by the tracks we leave behind': An old Indian saying.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
66WINN

Default Love this Place

I too have had thoughts about death, my love for this place, and scattering my ashes over the lake. It's more of an expression of how I feel about the lake than where I am after I die. There is no location on earth that make me happier than being in the lakes region...childhood memories...current experiences with the family... I think of the lake and NH in general as "God's Country". It's so beautiful and awe inspiring. Spending time here can be so restorative to one's spirit. Getting away from the hustle and bustle and being surrounded by such beauty; it's just wonderful. The thought of being laid to rest where you are happiest is a comforting thought. In the end though, it really won't matter where my body lies. What will really matter is the times I spent with my family and the happy memories we shared in this beautiful place. After I die, this place will be of little consequecne to me. The memories shared with the loved ones left behind will be their best source of comfort. The pain of separation in death will hurt, but it will be tempered by thinking of the happy times spent at the lake. And if that causes them to want to spend more time here with their families, then the circle will continue. May we all get to spend many more happy years here in this place of beauty. Thanks to God for giving us such a wonderful place.
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
kunamola

Default burial

To some extent the choices of how and where to bury your earthly remains depends on the circumstances of those around you whom you leave behind. If you have young children, they may not be able to handle cremation and will need a place and a headstone to visit as that may help them cope with the very real physical loss of a loved one. On the other hand, you may be an older person who lived a long life and wish to have your remains sprinkled at a location near to your earthly heart. When my 83 year old father died we felt cremation was the right route to take, his grandchildren had plenty of loving adult relations to support them in their loss and my dad had a love for the lake that was deep. We did talk over where to place his ashes with the grandchildren and opted not to sprinkle them from the canoe in the lake. They did not like the idea of swimming in water with the ashes. Instead we decided to leave his ashes concentrated in one spot on our property and opted not to have any sort of headstone or monument. You never know how long a family will be able to support a seasonal residence and we did not want to become so attached to a location that we could not leave the memorial behind if we had to. We also did not want to set a precendence of making our property into a cemetary, even if one only of ashes. In summary I think your wishes and plans can evolve several times in your life and none are wrong or right, just the right choice for the particular set of circumstances.
kunamola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
ApS

Funny that the Union-Leader should have an article yesterday about Interstate I-93, that was:

1) widened, but jogged around a cemetery for three horses (!),

2) but dug up an entire human cemetery within the year to widen the Interstate to the airport!

3) nearby Rochester Planning Board this year approved a Ramada Inn 25-feet from another cemetery. (Although a tree-lined buffer had been cut down by the latest seller of the property).

A similar scenario is being played out in my very back yard! (New owner/realtors vs. Old owners).

4) New owner/realtors sold off a late 1700s family cemetery (surname: Tibbett) to lakefront newbies, who are building an addition near it. The tombstones are misaligned (some were removed from the ground and propped-up against others), and some very large trees are growing right in the middle of the cemetery.

5) The same new owner/realtors have been shuffling a tombstone around — leaning it against one building or another — for several years. It is 48-inches tall, marked with an 1800's date, and was previously inserted about 18-inches into the soil. (Just where...is anybody's guess). This matriarch's tombstone has the same surname as the prior, long-time owners of the property (surname: Horn).

To this day, this tombstone has no home: ("I ain't got no body?")

6) Both of the recently-deceased owners' ashes were spread over their hard-worked land. Perhaps they knew best.

In this modern, bulldozed, New Hampshire — the only permanent gravesite is the spreading of ashes, and the memories that go with it.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
Funny that the Union-Leader should have an article yesterday about Interstate I-93, that was:

1) widened, but jogged around a cemetery for three horses (!),

2) but dug up an entire human cemetery within the year to widen the Interstate to the airport!

3) nearby Rochester Planning Board this year approved a Ramada Inn 25-feet from another cemetery. (Although a tree-lined buffer had been cut down by the latest seller of the property).

A similar scenario is being played out in my very back yard! (New owner/realtors vs. Old owners).

4) New owner/realtors sold off a late 1700s family cemetery (surname: Tibbett) to lakefront newbies, who are building an addition near it. The tombstones are misaligned (some were removed from the ground and propped-up against others), and some very large trees are growing right in the middle of the cemetery.

5) The same new owner/realtors have been shuffling a tombstone around — leaning it against one building or another — for several years. It is 48-inches tall, marked with an 1800's date, and was previously inserted about 18-inches into the soil. (Just where...is anybody's guess). This matriarch's tombstone has the same surname as the prior, long-time owners of the property (surname: Horn).

To this day, this tombstone has no home: ("I ain't got no body?")

6) Both of the recently-deceased owners' ashes were spread over their hard-worked land. Perhaps they knew best.

In this modern, bulldozed, New Hampshire — the only permanent gravesite is the spreading of ashes, and the memories that go with it.

Acres,

Thats Horse Power!

Too funny....
Love,
T.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote