Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default 5-dollar NH Day, Squam Lakes Science Center, Holderness, 9:30-5:00

Today, Saturday, May 4, 2019, is NH Day at the Squam Lakes Science Center ...... normally, adults pay $20 ..... but today is reduced down to $5 for all us poor, poor, poor NH residents ..... to go walk the trail and look at the housed/caged animals including a bob cat, mountain lion, black bear, a white-footed mouse, and others..... have never been there because it was too expensive ..... so, today is the day ...... just 5-bucks with your NH drivers license...... live free or die! ..... plus is a cold, wet, rainy, yucky day!

Is about 200-yards up Route 113, off Route 25 in the center of town, close to the library, and opposite the F & G public boat launch for Squam .... about ten minutes from Route 93-Exit 24, to the east of Ashland ...

https://www.nhnature.org/visit/animal_info_sheets/ .... maybe check out their lake cruises overview.

So ...... if these animals could talk ..... what would they say about doing their time, locked up at the Science Center?

What was it like? Well, I was super surprised to see a big, long line of cars all inching forward, going up Route 113 towards the entrance, under the direction of two orange flag waving traffic control guys who must have been in their 80's who were answering questions and directing the long line of some very expensive cars, all waiting to make the turn into the Science Center. Thinking this meant the animals exhibits trail would also be crowded with on-lookers, I made the fast decision to exit, stage left ..... and made a u-turn on Route 113 ..... and left the area for the safety and serenity of peaceful Meredith Neck and very quiet Lake Winnipesaukee ..... will wait till next year .... in the year, 2020, the animals will still be there!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-05-2019 at 04:14 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Andromeda321

I used to volunteer there as a teenager in summer, washing the glass from the outside for the exhibits. I haven't been in a few years (this would have been mid-2000s), but unless things have significantly changed the animals were all well cared for, with the adequate space and enrichment activities expected from modern zoos for their animals alongside great education programs for the public. Interestingly, my sister also volunteered there, and we both became scientists but her career took her on to work for places like the National Zoo in DC and the Association for Zoos and Aquariums, the accreditation program for zoos in the USA.

So yeah, I think it's a great place. I hope you manage to visit someday.
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andromeda321 For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (05-06-2019), Top-Water (05-05-2019)