Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
ApS

Arrow When Winnipesaukee Is Too Small for a Sailboat...

Your boat breaks while racing other sailboats around the world, so the solo sailor, Isabella, has to head home.

This is what a VendeeGlobe sailboat—and skipper—looks like while "limping" to safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyO8P7h4OVE
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
garysanfran

Looks like a typical day sailing on San Francisco Bay. I would have loved to put my 34' Sabre on Lake Winni. That's about the max size I'd do on Winni.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Default ...... is so totally fantabulous

My next door neighbor has something like a 1980 Contessa-32' sailboat, made in England and it supposedly weighs in at 16,000 lbs with its' weighted keel. Its a beautiful dark blue hull with a white upper and all white sails. It has four stays, bow-stern-port-starboard ..... stays-all around going from hull to top of aluminum mast ..... and it steers with a tiller handle and NOT a steering wheel .... so it is good-to-go through those large North Sea swells off the island nation of Great Britain.

It swings from a mooring, close to Horse Island, out front here, awaiting the next big windy day here on Lake Winnipesaukee. It's a real looker and you've probably seen it out and about.

It is in beautiful condition ...... just a fantabulous big water sailboat!

Here's a video of a different similar sailboat ...... www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q4Y27JvbuA ..... ".... romping across the North Minch on her way from Stornoway to Stromness."
Cobalt 25 (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
My next door neighbor has something like a 1980 Contessa-32' sailboat, made in England and it supposedly weighs in at 16,000 lbs with its' weighted keel. Its a beautiful dark blue hull with a white upper and all white sails. It has four stays, bow-stern-port-starboard ..... stays-all around going from hull to top of aluminum mast ..... and it steers with a tiller handle and NOT a steering wheel .... so it is good-to-go through those large North Sea swells off the island nation of Great Britain.

It swings from a mooring, close to Horse Island, out front here, awaiting the next big windy day here on Lake Winnipesaukee. It's a real looker and you've probably seen it out and about.

It is in beautiful condition ...... just a fantabulous big water sailboat!

Here's a video of a different similar sailboat ...... www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q4Y27JvbuA ..... ".... romping across the North Minch on her way from Stornoway to Stromness."
I go by it frequently and know the boat. It's a good boat for the Lake. I used to be able to go through the passage between Horse Island and the mainland at full speed back in the days when pizza from The Golden Horseshoe was my goal.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #5
mishman

Default Any sail boat is a good boat for our lake

I have a J-22, circa 1985, that I bought used in 2010 from a guy on the Cape. I thought it would be the perfect size for our lake and damn if it didn't turn out to be so. I can sail off the mooring in seven minutes flat, spend about 6 hrs off season waxing the hull, cleaning the deck and she's good to go. Love the simplicity of the J-22 and she sails like a dream. I sail single handed most of the time or with the wife but have as many as five people onboard and it is still a blast to sail. Can't wait to get back out there. A day sailing on the lake is truly a good day.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I go by it frequently and know the boat. It's a good boat for the Lake. I used to be able to go through the passage between Horse Island and the mainland at full speed back in the days when pizza from The Golden Horseshoe was my goal.
Zip right through there, but stay CLOSE to shoreline to score that Ukraine ice hockey pizza now being served while is still hot, hot, hot ..... no problem! .....

Hey ...... here's a good look www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBUtfKHOg_4 at the inside/outside of another Contessa-32' while tied to a dock in the coastal town of Portimao, Portugal in November, 2019. A number, maybe four sleeping bunks were removed and replaced with two large sofas. Believe a Contessa-32' comes with maybe seven sleeping bunks??? .... sufficient to house an expedition sailing from Meredith ...... all the long way to faraway Wolfeboro! .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-21-2021 at 10:57 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #7
ApS

Talking The Lake's Too Small...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
My next door neighbor has something like a 1980 Contessa-32' sailboat, made in England and it supposedly weighs in at 16,000 lbs with its' weighted keel. Its a beautiful dark blue hull with a white upper and all white sails. It has four stays, bow-stern-port-starboard ..... stays-all around going from hull to top of aluminum mast ..... and it steers with a tiller handle and NOT a steering wheel .... so it is good-to-go through those large North Sea swells off the island nation of Great Britain. It swings from a mooring, close to Horse Island, out front here, awaiting the next big windy day here on Lake Winnipesaukee. It's a real looker and you've probably seen it out and about. It is in beautiful condition ...... just a fantabulous big water sailboat! Here's a video of a different similar sailboat ...... www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q4Y27JvbuA ..... ".... romping across the North Minch on her way from Stornoway to Stromness."
You are aware the boat in the original video is twice as long, weighs about the same, and is capable of speeds exceeding 40 knots?

In reviewing that video again, the camera seems to move and yaw with the boat, which would tend to rule-out a drone. So how was that footage made?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:43 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
You are aware the boat in the original video is twice as long, weighs about the same, and is capable of speeds exceeding 40 knots?

In reviewing that video again, the camera seems to move and yaw with the boat, which would tend to rule-out a drone. So how was that footage made?
Doesn't matter APS. It is still a sailboat, and whatever point was in the offing failed.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:27 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS;
In reviewing that video again, the camera seems to move and yaw [U
with[/U] the boat, which would tend to rule-out a drone. So how was that footage made?
There's a long flexible extension, attached to the lower area on the transom, that holds the video camera up and out, in place back there for a good moving picture shoot.

Towards the end of the clip you can see the base attached to the bottom of the transom, and also see the extension arm, out of focus.

Is made with a somewhat flexible material? Maybe they found an old aluminum roof rake handle at the Wolfeboro transfer station, 18' long, and adapted a base and a camera holder to it, using Gorilla tape. ......

www.gorillatough.com/ .......$8.98/roll for the good strong stuff at the new Heath's Hdwe in Lakeport ...... when there is NO second chance!