Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Seaplane Pilot

Default Damage from Boat Wakes

Excellent article about boat wake damage in this month's Boat US magazine. Something for everyone to keep in mind and pay better attention to. It's also one of the most important reasons why the NWZ at Barber's Pole should have and did get rejected by Department of Safety. (Thank you to the level heads that prevailed on this).

http://www.boatusmagazine.com/boatus/20110809/#pg64
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (08-30-2011), VitaBene (08-30-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

The only place I like to make big wakes is going by Little Bear Island.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Thanx SP, good reading. I concur with everything discussed, but, the bow-rider segment points out the hidden, but very real, dangers of riding up front, at speed. I really think people with bow-riders SHOULD be aware of the potential for disaster, and drive accordingly.

This concludes NHB's safety tip of the day.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Kamper

I don't know if this will work on larger boats but on my 16ft, I power down completely when coming up to a NWZ. When the following wakes catches up and gives me a 'kick' I add a enough power for steerage purposes. This is usually enough that I don't have any wake crossing into the zone.

Since this reduces steerage ability it may not be prudent in congested conditions. In that case start to reduce speed further out and gradually.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I don't know if this will work on larger boats but on my 16ft, I power down completely when coming up to a NWZ. When the following wakes catches up and gives me a 'kick' I add a enough power for steerage purposes. This is usually enough that I don't have any wake crossing into the zone.

Since this reduces steerage ability it may not be prudent in congested conditions. In that case start to reduce speed further out and gradually.

Good luck!
I try to make a practice of slowing down well in front of NWZ's, depending on boat traffic and location. Always look behind you before coming to a sudden stop, not to mention telling your passengers if any are on board.

Some NWZ's are there for obvious reasons. Marinas, small coves, channels, things like that. There is a tendency to have the NWZ markers too close to whatever they are protecting, and a tendency for boaters to roar up to the NWZ marker, and Then slow down. (Yes, there is always the 150' rule to follow as well). This can defeat the purpose of the NWZ, by having monster wakes right up to and beyond the marker.

If everyone treated the shorefront and assorted docks in these areas as if they were their own, I'll bet they would slow down sooner. It would be nice if everyone slowed down to NWZ speed quicker, and spared us the monster wake as they plow along and gradually come to a stop. I usually slow to 6 mph or so a good half mile before my destination. That's because a mooring field where they put the larger sailboats extends well past the NWZ, and on weekends, most have dinghies tied up and are on their boats. I know all too well what it's like to be at anchor, and have those wakes come plowing in to you.

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-30-2011 at 12:59 PM.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
KPW (09-07-2011), Seaplane Pilot (08-30-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
The only place I like to make big wakes is going by Little Bear Island.
You can't make big wakes in that SIKSUKR thing that you call a boat!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
jrc

It never ceases to amaze me that huge wakes can come for small boats. Obviously mass, depth, and hull shape play into the equation but man does bad technique make monster wakes.

I anchor out a lot in a mid-sized cruiser and I've given up trying to educate people on their wake. Their answer is always "my boat is so small, how can it bother you".

I try to use the golden rule on my wakes, what would I want if I was on the receiving end.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
John A. Birdsall

Default wake

small boats can make very large wakes. I had an 11' boat with an 18 hp Johnson on it, and it made very large wakes at just above idle speed. However when going fast there was little to no wake.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
You can't make big wakes in that SIKSUKR thing that you call a boat!
I'll be by later to take that challenge.Then I'll see you on 10th!