Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Mary_

Default Winnisquam vs. Winnipesaukee

We have been looking for waterfront home in Wolfeboro/Winter Harbor area but are considering branching out to other lakes due to lack of supply. I can see the obvious difference in size between Winnisquam and Winnepesaukee but anyone that has time to compare the two in terms of overall differences, best locations of Winnisquam, vibe, access to shops/restaurants/ice cream and easy walking trails (i.e. Wolfeboro has shops/restaurants/rail trail and restaurants you can boat to) etc. Interested in any feedback. Thanks!
Mary_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mary_ For This Useful Post:
Rickboy (02-06-2021)
Old 11-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

At the risk of being labeled an a$$. If you need answers to the questions you are asking it is clear you have yet to do your homework on the area you are looking to purchase. The difference between lakes are night and day

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I've had houses on both and yes they are very different. I like Winnisquam because the lake doesn't get as crazy as Winni but there really aren't too many places to visit on the lake or even close to the lake where you can walk to. I prefer the North end of the lake, Meredith. Sanborton and Laconia taxes are very high. It all depends on what you're looking for. I'm now on Waukewan and I love it because it's quiet and more private but 30 years ago it might not have been what I was looking for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by Biggd; 11-14-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
At the risk of being labeled an a$$. If you need answers to the questions you are asking it is clear you have yet to do your homework on the area you are looking to purchase. The difference between lakes are night and day
I would suggest that the OP is BEGINNING the homework stage. Trash talk like this is not informative!

I realize your stature on this site is far above mine, i'm just saying....

calm down. This may very well be their "starting point" as to where they want to buy/live.

I have lived in this area ALL MY LIFE! I can also suggest that I would love to live next door to some forum members, but would run like heck if others lived next door.....
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Crusty (02-01-2021), jogator1 (11-15-2020), thinkxingu (11-15-2020), TiltonBB (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

I would consider someone coming on this forum asking for information part of doing their homework.

Obviously most of us on Winnipesaukee will have several reasons why they chose this lake. There is much more to do by boat, many towns to go to, many marinas to choose from. It depends upon what you want and what your lifestyle is. If you like to do a lot by boat (eat, shop, take long rides) there is plenty of that on Winnipesaukee. Winnnisquam is much quieter with a small amount of boating destinations and activities.

It is pretty hard to recommend one or the other without knowing what you are looking for.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (11-14-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the Forum. Obviously, many variables when you're house hunting. If you like Wolfeboro area I think you'd find Laconia totally different--schools, hospitals shopping etc etc. Lake vs. Lake? What kind of boating experience are you looking for? What kind of boating experience do you have? Have you looked at Ossipee? Bigger lake but not as commercial as Winnipesaukee, or Wentworth, also in Wolfeboro, but quiet. Keep posting so we'll get to know you. Good luck.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (11-16-2020), Red apple (11-15-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_ View Post
We have been looking for waterfront home in Wolfeboro/Winter Harbor area but are considering branching out to other lakes due to lack of supply. I can see the obvious difference in size between Winnisquam and Winnepesaukee but anyone that has time to compare the two in terms of overall differences, best locations of Winnisquam, vibe, access to shops/restaurants/ice cream and easy walking trails (i.e. Wolfeboro has shops/restaurants/rail trail and restaurants you can boat to) etc. Interested in any feedback. Thanks!
Hello Mary; Welcome to the Forum. Most all here are quite knowledgeable and you've come to the right area to get many of your questions answered.

I would make the suggestion that you consider renting in each area to gain a better feel for things prior to making a large financial commitment. Doing so may give you an idea of where you'd like to be but more importantly where you definitely do not want to be. Everyone has their likes and dislikes!

Best of luck with your search and please keep us posted with your progress.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
iw8surf

Winnisquam’s much more friendly, Winnipesaukees just full of miserable not in my backyard folks.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-15-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
Winnisquam’s much more friendly, Winnipesaukees just full of miserable not in my backyard folks.
That’s awfully harsh and honestly a gross generalization.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (11-15-2020), ishoot308 (11-14-2020), Newbiesaukee (11-15-2020), Reilly (11-15-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (11-14-2020), TiltonBB (11-15-2020), upthesaukee (11-14-2020), Winilyme (11-14-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Having lived on both lakes for most of my adult life, here's my take.
I love the big lake.....endless dining, shopping and fun destinations. Can get crazy on weekends so you must know boating rules and be on your toes at all times.
Winnisquam is much more peaceful. Even on a weekend you can find a sandy place to drop anchor (west side of the lake is mostly sandy) North end of the lake is has over a mile of undeveloped shore (preserve) so it's a quiet place to hang out.
Very small choice of restaurants and no access to any shopping really so there's not much to do except enjoy the lake.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (11-18-2020), BroadHopper (11-15-2020), laketrout (11-25-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Arrow ..... best Hamburg & French fries ever!

www.winnisquamcountrystore.com/deli is a super terrific fun stop for a great Hamburg and French fries ....... easy boat parking at their store dock ..... rest rooms for boater use ..... located at the famous Mosquito Bridge where Rt-3 crosses Lake Winnisquam, NH's third largest lake.

Winnisquam Country Store and Lake Winnisquam go together like a hamburg, French fries and a Coke ....... yuummm!
Old 11-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default 'Pesaukee to 'Squam.

Moved from The Broads to Laconia's Shore drive in 2007. I don't regret it. Use to love the big lake in the '60s to the '90s. The atmosphere on the lake changes considerably in the 2000s when the MacMansion owners took over.

I agree with Samiam. Winnisquam is a lot quieter, mellower, than the big lake. I can ski off the beach/dock and back without having the marine patrol breathing down my neck because of some 'law-abiding' neighbors.
I maintain a boat on the big lake for off-season cruises, avoid the mayhem of the seasonal 'tourists'.

I must be getting old.
joey2665 (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #13
tbonies

Moved from Winnisquam (Shore Drive) to Winnipesaukee 10 years ago and don't regret it. Both lakes have their pros and cons. Boats on Winnisquam generally don't exceed about 22' and if you get in any trouble the shoreline is always close. And there are relatively few navigational hazards to think about. Both lakes can get wild with traffic on Saturdays in the summer but frankly both are quite peaceful the rest of the time. We moved because we wanted greater diversity in boating, dining on the water, and places to cruise to. Winnisquam has no dining by water. Wildwood Beach on Winnisquam is nice for those in the Shore Dr area without direct water access, excluding the tacky fencing to keep ducks from pooping on the beach. In summary, it probably depends on what you are looking for. And both lakes have both friendly people and idiots. Good luck.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbonies For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I'd suggest looking on Lake Sunapee.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
BoatHouse

Quote:
Winnisquam is better for wake surfing. Winni is better for experienced boaters. Remember to wave to other boaters.
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #16
Jdarby

Quote:
LMAO....I resent that! I’m not just a NIMBY, I don’t want kids on my front lawn either!

Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (11-16-2020), steve-on-mark (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

My wife and I always thought our second home would be in the forest. A friend of mine, who owns at Lakeshore Park, pointed out that kids need some level of entertainment or access to activity, which influenced us to purchase on a lake.

In the seven years we've been on Winni, I've come to appreciate visiting ports, quiet anchoring spots, busy sandbars—all of it—because I enjoy the many options. Though we could likely afford waterfront on a smaller lake, we prefer our association for access to the variety that Winni offers.

That being said, our association is in the "quiet" part of Winni, yet we have access to all the other stuff within a reasonable amount of time.

I think most people can find what they're looking for on Winni, but if peacefulness/tranquility > variety, the smaller lakes would be better options.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-16-2020), joey2665 (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #18
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I'd suggest looking on Lake Sunapee.
Or you might want to consider Squam Lake, the site of the filming of "On Golden Pond."

see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y85sfYVOS84

More than two lakes to choose from in "The Lakes Region."
Old 01-31-2021, 09:30 AM   #19
HobieCat'n

Default Where's the sun?

Mary, Before thinking much about what you can do nearby your future lakehouse I'd encourage you to get the basic feng shui to your liking. So the 1st question to ask yourself is what time of day do you want to have sunshine bathing the lakeside of your home? Morning - east facing home, Afternoon - west facing, All-day - south facing... For me, I absolutely wanted to have morning sun. Since south facing locations tend to be rare and $$$, I found that nearly the entire west-side of Winnisquam met the requirement. So that's where I am and now enjoy sunrises year round, and try to never miss a full-moonrise while sitting by the campfire in my yard overlooking the lake. 20 years ago, I found Winnipesaukee very hard to house-shop. With so many coves, you couldn't tell what direction the house faced until you got there. With virtual tours now, perhaps not a problem. I would also recommend house-shopping by boat from the waterside. Rent one for a day, you'll very easily, pick out what part of the lake you prefer.
HobieCat'n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HobieCat'n For This Useful Post:
Y2K (02-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 12:04 PM   #20
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for your perspective.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieCat'n View Post
Mary, Before thinking much about what you can do nearby your future lakehouse I'd encourage you to get the basic feng shui to your liking. So the 1st question to ask yourself is what time of day do you want to have sunshine bathing the lakeside of your home? Morning - east facing home, Afternoon - west facing, All-day - south facing... For me, I absolutely wanted to have morning sun. Since south facing locations tend to be rare and $$$, I found that nearly the entire west-side of Winnisquam met the requirement. So that's where I am and now enjoy sunrises year round, and try to never miss a full-moonrise while sitting by the campfire in my yard overlooking the lake. 20 years ago, I found Winnipesaukee very hard to house-shop. With so many coves, you couldn't tell what direction the house faced until you got there. With virtual tours now, perhaps not a problem. I would also recommend house-shopping by boat from the waterside. Rent one for a day, you'll very easily, pick out what part of the lake you prefer.
You are absolutely correct about locations. Your preference as what you want, sunrise (west side), sunset (east side), White Mountains (Southside).
The Southside of both lakes tends to be a little congested, but the North is the opposite.
Winnisquam is definitely a lot quieter and boater friendly. Different kind of crowd. Limited docking and launching is a major part of this on weekends. Weekdays are great for paddle sports as well as water sports.
I live on the east side of Winnisquam with great sunsets. I live next to Ahern State Park, a fantastic walk. I can walk the WOW trail to Lakeport where I keep my deep V for weekday cruising on the big lake! Play your cards right and you can have the best of both lakes!