Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Question ..... a RE-CONSTRUCTED title?

Am thinking about buying a black 2011 Scion xB 5-speed w/71,000-miles for $5500 from Carlos in Windham, NH, about 80-miles away ..... a private seller ..... and the sale listing says it has a re-constructed title?

Monday morning, February 12, 2020, 9-am in Plymouth NH, a bright sunny morning with big snow banks plowed onto the sides of the roads from the overnight snow fall of about one foot, newly fallen fresh, high quality snow ..... and the bright sun made all the new snow look so very very snow sunny beautiful.

Allstate Insurance in three days time, mailed me a check for $1930 to repair the side doors damage on my 2013 Scion xB with about 198k miles after some old local guy turned left from the River Rd onto Rt-3/25 heading north, slowly, into Plymouth and smacked my car, broadside, pushing it deep into the new soft snow bank, and left the scene ..... a hit & run ..... with me yelling and chasing his car down the road on foot, trying to read his NH license plate .... as he accelerated and took off, north, towards downtown Plymouth, NH.

Put the $1930 in my pocket and never repaired the two pushed in, down low, door damage on right side. I kinda like the look ..... all pushed in and beat up .... and both doors still open and close. This car now has 210,000-miles on the 'riginal 4 spark plugs and continuous belt. After applying a five dollar container of Bondo to the hit & run damage openings on one door, Valvoline Oil Change in Laconia which is actually a very strict, totally by the rules $50-State Inspection station gave me a new state inspection sticker, good for 12-months, on or about September 25, 2020. The Valvoline insection guy says it will not pass inspection with these two or three small openings, and it needs to get repaired and closed up. It also needed two new wiper blades, and one new yellow light bulb, marker light.

I recommend Valvoline Oil change in Laconia for their $50 honest and thorough, by the rules, State Inspection, plus they do light bulb and continuous belt installations, as well.

The Plymouth Police very shortly thereafter, located the hit & run vehicle, parked at the Plymouth Senior Center, and that's the last I heard about it, or from anyone, except for the $1930 from Allstate ..... which is fine with me?

Ok, so on Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11-am, I am scheduled to drive 80-miles to Windham, NH to look at Carlos' 2011 Scion for $5500 which has a RE-CONSTRUCTED TITLE.

Am I out of my mind to drive the 80-miles back and forth what with this RE-CONSTRUCTED TITLE, or what?

Next step: ask Carlos for the VIN 17-digit number, and spend the 25-dollars, or whatever it costs, to get a thorough CARFAX Report.

Found Carlos's 2011 black Scion xB in www.cargurus.com ...... which is new to me and seems to be a very POTENT tool for looking for a used car. Maybe, it is too potent?
Old 11-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
Blue Thunder

A reconstructed title is probably a Salvage Title which means the car was totaled at one point, purchased and repaired and now has a different title so the owner can sell it. I wouldn’t touch it or “Carlos” with a ten foot pole. Save yourself the drive and the headache that will ultimately go with it.....

BT
ishoot308 (11-02-2020), Loub52 (11-03-2020), Tallyho (11-03-2020), TiltonBB (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
tg38

Default salvage vehicle

call ARGO in raymond lots repairable cars with easy fixs cheap..
tg38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
camp guy

Default Reconstructed title...

If you google "reconstructed title" and read the narrative, I am pretty sure you will not want to buy a vehicle with a 'reconstructed title'. The narrative explains what it means, and then goes on to explain all the pitfalls to watch out for, with the big one being insurability. If you want a beaters to run around on 40 acres of open land, go for it, but if you want a safe, insurable vehicle to use on the street, think twice, then think again, and again.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Thanks ...... is a definite no-go for me.

Is the type of a deal for someone with the confidence to fix it right, and get it for a wicked low price ...... but not for me.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
TheTimeTraveler

Many times one can purchase "totaled" vehicles that are actually perfectly road worthy. The vehicles I refer to are "HAIL DAMAGED" vehicles.

Hail damaged vehicles may be ugly, but can be a great value if you don't mind driving a vehicle with a roof, trunk lids and hood that have some serious dents.

The roof is difficult to repair; hoods and trunk lids can be easily replaced.

Last edited by TheTimeTraveler; 11-03-2020 at 06:25 PM.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
The vehicles I refer to are "HAIL DAMAGED" vehicles.
Yes, have been searching through www.cargurus.com looking for that silver or blue 2004, old style Toyota Tacoma 5-speed, two wheel drive, xtra cab with matching fiberglass cap w/ roof racks with less than 50k miles that's been sitting in a barn for the last 10-years due to a minor case of HAIL DAMAGE that is totally cosmetic.

Why-o-why have all pick-up trucks become so big in size, and so automatic transmission?

The next president of the US, whoever he is, needs to outlaw the automatic transmission by executive order, totally, and require all vehicles to have a manual transmission and a clutch peddle ..... and, it shall be done ..... hear, hear!

Is about time to get it in gear!

CarGuru says www.autospotllc.com in New Jersey has a 2004 Toyota Tacoma, white, with 238970-miles for $4799 ..... like what I'm look'n for ..... how 'bout that! Like ...... it seems to me ...... that anyone who pays $5000 for a pickup like this with 238970-miles needs to get some psychiatric medication, or something. It is not a Mack truck with a diesel engine.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-04-2020 at 08:50 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
MotorHead

Shame, shame, shame on Honda for using a timing belt instead of timing chain.
Timing belts need to be replaced ever 100k to the tune of $1400.00

If that is not a scam, what is.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #9
fatlazyless

I wonder if my 210,000-mile 2013 Scion xB 5-speed with a best price trade-in value of $500, up from $300, has an engine chain or a belt. It is what I drive?

It actually still drives pretty good, set it at 65-66-67-68-69-70 mph cruise control, is best to blend speed, for the right lane, Rt-93 ..... and it goes good. No highway breakdowns, yet.

For a highway or roadway breakdown around here, Buskey's Auto in Ashland, 603-968-7044 is who I'm gonna call for a flat bed truck, tow-a-way, back to Buskey's Garage in Ashland, Exit-24, where they will fix the problem. You get to hang out in their front waiting area with hot coffee and Halloween style, pumpkin cup-cakes for 2-hours or so ..... or take a walk up the hill to the Ashland Public Library.

This 2013 Scion xB with a Camry style 4-cyclinder engine, or something, has always had an oil consumption problem. At every gasoline fill-up, forever, I need to add about 3/4 quart of the $2.88 Walmart 5w-20 oil, and it has been like this since i bought it, brand new in May-2014 from Irwin Toyota. There are absolutely no oil drips under the car, so where does the oil go? It must go out the exhaust, or somewhere?

My car breakdown rescue plan: Better call Buskey in Ashland - 603-968-7044, and I keep this number in my wallet.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-05-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
MotorHead

Look at your exhaust.

Do you see black smoke, you are burning oil.
Do you see white smoke, your coolant in leaking into the engine.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
TheProfessor

Craigslist.

I have purchased 3 sedans in the past 2 years - all running good with no rust.
$2,750 including extra 4 snow tires on rims.
$2,500 needing just a light bulb in the dash.
$1,700 for a sedan needing no work.

All had original title with no accidents.

All were 4 cylinder cars with regular automatic transmission.

Only one was for me. The others were for family members.

All are on the road currently with minimal maintenance required.

One came from York Maine - original owner.
One came from Bedford, NH - original owner.
One came from Center Harbor, NH - original owner.

All get oil undercoating first - so that no future rust issues.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
fatlazyless

I've been going crazy, lately, looking at craigslist and car guru and dealer websites for a lowest mileage-best price-best condition, 2010-2011-2012 Mazda3 sedan or hatch-back with 5-speed manual for my one and only car to replace what I got. Selling off my 210,000 mile 2013-Scion xB with the smashed hit & run doors damage will make selling it privately, very impossible for me.

Just out of curiosity, Professor, what were the years and mileage on your $2750-2500-1700 three car buys?
Old 11-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
I wonder if my 210,000-mile 2013 Scion xB 5-speed with a best price trade-in value of $500, up from $300, has an engine chain or a belt. It is what I drive?

It actually still drives pretty good, set it at 65-66-67-68-69-70 mph cruise control, is best to blend speed, for the right lane, Rt-93 ..... and it goes good. No highway breakdowns, yet.

For a highway or roadway breakdown around here, Buskey's Auto in Ashland, 603-968-7044 is who I'm gonna call for a flat bed truck, tow-a-way, back to Buskey's Garage in Ashland, Exit-24, where they will fix the problem. You get to hang out in their front waiting area with hot coffee and Halloween style, pumpkin cup-cakes for 2-hours or so ..... or take a walk up the hill to the Ashland Public Library.

This 2013 Scion xB with a Camry style 4-cyclinder engine, or something, has always had an oil consumption problem. At every gasoline fill-up, forever, I need to add about 3/4 quart of the $2.88 Walmart 5w-20 oil, and it has been like this since i bought it, brand new in May-2014 from Irwin Toyota. There are absolutely no oil drips under the car, so where does the oil go? It must go out the exhaust, or somewhere?
If you have put up with it since 2014, you have no complaint. You should have been knocking on Irwin's door for warranty service. Shame on you!!!!!

Dave
Old 11-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #14
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
If you have put up with it since 2014, you have no complaint. You should have been knocking on Irwin's door for warranty service. Shame on you!!!!!

Dave
On or about July 25, 2018, with the mileage at about 149,750-miles I pursued a warranty claim on this long-running oil consumption problem with Bob Abbott, service manager at Irwin Toyota. I walked up to their service desk and started talking with him about it.

He asked me where I had the car serviced and I said for the first 25,000-miles I took it to the Irwin quik-lube because the oil changes were freebies that came with the new car purchase. After that I said I took it to the Plymouth Walmart for oil changes and tires.

He asked to see the car registration and ran the vin in his computer. I explained what was happening with the excessive oil use, and he said something like it's not unusual for a car like this to use up oil and need more oil.

I asked him about the silent Toyota recall for this Camry style 4-cylinder engine in the Scion xB and he said it was for older cars like the Corolla from before 2010 and not for my car.

I tried ....... he listened ..... it went no-where ...... and that was that.

This car, a 2013 Scion xB, purchased new in May 2014 now has 210,000 and still runs pretty good on its 5-speed stick. Just yesterday after filling up at the Exit-25 Citgo, it needed an entire quart of the $2.88 Walmart 5w-20.

That's the way the banana peels ...... sometimes, you win ..... sometimes, you lose, and sometimes, you get rained out.

Bob is a good guy and right now is helping my car with a Toyota Scion defective air bags replacement recall with Irwin replacing the original air bags. Maybe he was in a bad mood or something on that day, or maybe he was not too pleased with me going to Walmart. He asked me if I ever got the oil changed after the 25,000-mile free oil changes were used up?

With the oil consumption problem, it seems like someone here or there, or maybe two someones, both here and there, both dropped the ball.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Sorry

I would never stop asking with the service writer. There was the Service Manager, and then the owner. Then on to Toyota and work your way up the corporate chain.

Again, if you're happy having bought 40+ extra quarts of oil, all the more power to you.

FWIW, my 2010 Corolla gets an oil change every 5000 miles, and occasionally I check the oil level and has never been more than about a fifth of the distance between full and add oil. And that would be with a cold engine. Bought it the weekend after Thanksgiving 2010 and just went over 180,000 miles.

Dave
Old 11-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #16
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

That scion has the Toyota 2AZFE engine in it. That does have a timing chain in it.

FYI - There have been complaints of this engine "burning oil" in North America, with the issue starting after 45,000 miles (72,000 km), though mostly after 60,000–75,000 miles (97,000–121,000 km). Piston ring design has been identified as a potential problem. Toyota has issued a TSB (Technical service bulletin) TSB #0094-11 in August 2011 but has not issued a recall.

IF a TSB is issued then if you actually took it to the dealer for regular oil changes and this condition was confirmed it would have been fixed free of charge. Throwing quart after quart of oil in it will not fix the problem and it will over time deteriorate till you eventually have a potental catestrophic failure. Since this appears to be blow by into the combustion chamber likely what will take the most abuse is the catalytic converter.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I would never stop asking with the service writer. There was the Service Manager, and then the owner. Then on to Toyota and work your way up the corporate chain.

Again, if you're happy having bought 40+ extra quarts of oil, all the more power to you.

Dave
It's more like 100-150 qts of 2.88-Walmart oil ...... or something ..... do not keep count ..... it definitely made me into a regular at the Plymouth Walmart ..... plus there's lots of other stuff in that there store, besides motor oil ..... ha-ha-ha

Like I said, I'm am at least 50% to blame for my engine excessive oil problem and should have got more aggressive at Irwin's to get the needed engine repairs ...... like ...... I could have punched the service writer guy in the nose ,...... slammed his head down on the counter ..... and thrown him against the wall ...... hey buddy ..... you give me my Toyota engine, excessive oil use recall ..... or else!

Oh well ...... have had this Scion xB since May 2014, 210000-miles and it still runs ok .......despite a hit & run and despite the Irwin service writer bad ass treatment .... and despite replacing 3/4qt of oil with every gasoline fill-up.

I can tell by the sound of the engine when it needs another 3/4 qt which is basically at every single gasoline fill-up.

One time, I forgot to replace the oil filler cap on the top of the valve cover and drove for about four days with no cap. Upon lifting the hood at the next gas fill-up to check the oil level, my standard procedure, the cap had been held in place for four days, between/under the hood and the front vinyl/metal area in front of the radiator ..... no lost cap ...... and the engine only lost one quart of oil .... which was blasted all over everything, on the engine and everywhere under the hood, there, a big, big oily mess!

Say hey ..... maybe I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree ...... but I am definitely well oiled! .....
Old 11-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Yes, have been searching through www.cargurus.com looking for that silver or blue 2004, old style Toyota Tacoma 5-speed, two wheel drive, xtra cab with matching fiberglass cap w/ roof racks with less than 50k miles that's been sitting in a barn for the last 10-years due to a minor case of HAIL DAMAGE that is totally cosmetic.

Why-o-why have all pick-up trucks become so big in size, and so automatic transmission?

The next president of the US, whoever he is, needs to outlaw the automatic transmission by executive order, totally, and require all vehicles to have a manual transmission and a clutch peddle ..... and, it shall be done ..... hear, hear!

Is about time to get it in gear!

CarGuru says www.autospotllc.com in New Jersey has a 2004 Toyota Tacoma, white, with 238970-miles for $4799 ..... like what I'm look'n for ..... how 'bout that! Like ...... it seems to me ...... that anyone who pays $5000 for a pickup like this with 238970-miles needs to get some psychiatric medication, or something. It is not a Mack truck with a diesel engine.
Toyota still makes the Tacoma with a manual transmission but they are rare and hard to find. Most will be found with the offroad package as the only ones these days that really want that are folks that take them off road as the are arguably superior when doing technical 4 wheeling.

If you are looking for a used Tacoma, be prepared to fork out all the money for one as they hold their value even with a bazillion miles on them. Also be aware of the frame rot problem they all have since 1995. Toyota does continue to have a TSB on these where they will at no charge to you replace the entire frame or treat the frame with anti rust coatings but there is a timeframe where this is valid. If you look on the used market you will see many that are advertised as having a new frame.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #19
ApS

Lightbulb "Re-Purposed" Oil...

Why add new oil to your engine—only to have it disappear?

Find a source of used oil, and add your accustomed ľ-quart at every fill-up.

Volunteer to change the oil in your neighbors' cars, and use their free oil instead.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #20
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Why add new oil to your engine—

Find a source of used oil, and add your accustomed ľ-quart at every fill-up.
Supposedly, the $2.88 Walmart Super Tech IS recycled oil that comes from where ever it comes from, and gets reprocessed and packaged into plastic oil bottles by some company named Warren Oil International.

Years ago, Sam Walton used to stay up late every night and reprocess all the oil all by himself and pour it into 1-qt containers using a red funnel.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #21
TheProfessor

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, Professor, what were the years and mileage on your $2750-2500-1700 three car buys?
I take a slightly different tack when seeking budget used cars. Brand has no meaning. I only seek one owner no accident no rust used cars. I ask for maintenance records. Not seeking but usually end up with female used cars.
The car is not female - the previous owner/driver was.
I ask many questions before driving to view cars. I usually pay less then posted or asking price.
I avoid any used car with a CVT transmission. Although the CVT's are getting better now. I skip anything with a turbo. OK for new cars but older used cars an expensive repair.
I skip all cars with a timing belt. I only get used cars with a timing chain.
I only buy from individuals - not used car dealers or flippers. I don't buy any used car that has known problems. Other then dash bulb mentioned above. A $6.00 fix.

The highest miles on odometer from list above was 118,000. That is the one that I drive. I do get the fluids changed. And I have local mechanic put in new spark plugs. I will also have local mechanic put in new brake pads/shoes if less the 1/3 left. I am up to 145,000 and vehicle runs/starts great. Can cruise 80 MPH all day long with no vibrations - or until I get a speeding ticket.

And as stated above, I get the used cars oil undercoated. I travel to Chichester for that LINK

If seeking a manual transmission car. That used car market is quite limited. But they are out there if one has patience.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #22
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
I take a slightly different tack when seeking budget used cars. Brand has no meaning. I only seek one owner no accident no rust used cars. I ask for maintenance records. Not seeking but usually end up with female used cars.
The car is not female - the previous owner/driver was.
I ask many questions before driving to view cars. I usually pay less then posted or asking price.
I avoid any used car with a CVT transmission. Although the CVT's are getting better now. I skip anything with a turbo. OK for new cars but older used cars an expensive repair.
I skip all cars with a timing belt. I only get used cars with a timing chain.
I only buy from individuals - not used car dealers or flippers. I don't buy any used car that has known problems. Other then dash bulb mentioned above. A $6.00 fix.

The highest miles on odometer from list above was 118,000. That is the one that I drive. I do get the fluids changed. And I have local mechanic put in new spark plugs. I will also have local mechanic put in new brake pads/shoes if less the 1/3 left. I am up to 145,000 and vehicle runs/starts great. Can cruise 80 MPH all day long with no vibrations - or until I get a speeding ticket.

And as stated above, I get the used cars oil undercoated. I travel to Chichester for that LINK

If seeking a manual transmission car. That used car market is quite limited. But they are out there if one has patience.
I do agree with what you say but did have a couple of questions; What does oil undercoating run in terms of cost?

Also, will they undercoat any used car, or are they selective with cars in which they will do? i.e. what about cars that may already have the beginnings of rust on them?

Does the oil undercoating make the vehicle run quieter at highway speeds (is the interior noticeably quieter due to undercoating) ?
Old 11-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #23
fatlazyless

www.autofindersnh.com in Laconia, across from Irwin Boats, has a 2010 Mazda3 sedan, 5-speed manual, granite gray, 5-speed, 116,831-miles, that seems to drive excellent plus it is a little larger than a Ford Focus. I took it for a test drive on Tuesday.

Was told by KEITH that it got four new tires, new brakes and rotors all around and a new battery.

Is willing to give my 210,000-mile 2013 Scion xB with he $1930 r-side major door damage a trade-in value of $500 which reduces the price of their Mazda3 from $5995 down to $5495, plus I get rid of the Scion which is a big plus ..... plus it is located in nearby Laconia.

Unlike the Irwin Zone-$700, or Cupples Cars-$549 in Belmont, or Lovering Volvo-$549 in Meredith or Pine Hill Auto-$secret??? in Derry and other car sellers, AutoFinder in Laconia has NO dealer prep fee. The price is the price!

This 2010 dark gray Mazda3 sure drives at 116,831-miles like it must have a timing chain and not a timing belt. It drives, runs, and looks excellent ...... except my Scion is still a seemingly reliable car, but I won't take it south of Exit 20 or north of Exit 32, so's is within towing range of "Better Call Buskey's"-car towing & repair in beautiful, downtown Ashland NH, which is the geographic center spot of NH!

By the way, AutoFinders also has four, very nice looking, auto/cvt, used Honda CR-Vs lined up for sale, out front, and most likely that $1400 engine timing belt install has a lot to do with why they are in this position ... for sale, there.

$1400 more...... ..... for this car I just bought for a what?

On Wednesday, I took a test drive at Lovering Volvo-Meredith in a 2015 black, Ford Focus sedan, 5-speed, bigger 2.0 liter double overhead cam engine with only 47926-miles, for $8795 plus $549-dealer prep and it drives and looks like a very fast, brand new car. Except, it has NO CRUISE CONTROL which was a big surprise when I figured that out while driving it. Who ever heard of a car like this with NO CRUISE CONTROL? For some unknown reason it has no cruise control? Might have something to do with this car in 2015 getting shipped from Baltimore, MD to the Country of Germany in a Ford military car seller program, or something???

It has to be the one and only car in their large parking lot, full with many very nice cars, that does NOT have cruise control. Imagine that!

Attention ....... here in Germany ...... or in Switzerland(?) we want all you soldiers to be driving with hands on the wheel, and foot on the accelerator peddle ..... there will be NO CRUISE CONTROL for you ..... you understand! ...

Out of 134 different vehicles, this $8795 + $549-dealer prep, no cruise control, Ford Focus is their lowest priced car ...... by far ..... and is a very nice car, if you never-ever use cruise control.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-06-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #24
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
I do agree with what you say but did have a couple of questions; What does oil undercoating run in terms of cost?

Also, will they undercoat any used car, or are they selective with cars in which they will do? i.e. what about cars that may already have the beginnings of rust on them?

Does the oil undercoating make the vehicle run quieter at highway speeds (is the interior noticeably quieter due to undercoating) ?
All of the vehicles that I have owned whether new or used get oil undercoating.
All used vehicles will have some signs of rust underneath. Nuts bolts etc. The oil undercoating stops any further rust.
All used vehicles do get oil undercoating every year.
Cost is around $169.00. Veterans get a 10% discount.

The one in Chichester is the main office. There are franchisees throughout the state. The franchisee can charge whatever they want to.

Never noticed any noise diminish. But my hearing is not the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Supposedly, it's important to get the rust-proofing done on a warm, dry day because it's an oil product that will not dry good in temps below 50-degrees or on wet, rainy, high humidity days. It will not dry right and get washed away with the next rainy day.

Ideal rust-proofing application day is 75-degrees, sunny and dry.

www.trucktrendsnh.com ..... a new business in the old Winnisquam Auto garage in Tilton on Route-3 does rust-proofing/under coating, as well as Line-X pick-up truck liner ..... but I have no clue on their price or their ability?

...... and, central New Hampshire is still 'cruise control country.' .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-06-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #26
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default I've always wondered...

Quote:
All used vehicles will have some signs of rust underneath. Nuts bolts etc. The oil undercoating stops any further rust.

The one in Chichester is the main office. There are franchisees throughout the state. The franchisee can charge whatever they want to.

Does the oil undercoating drip forever?
If not, do you park it in a garage right away, or leave it over ground for X amount of time?
Do people do this to newer cars?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #27
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Does the oil undercoating drip forever?
If not, do you park it in a garage right away, or leave it over ground for X amount of time?
Do people do this to newer cars?
Smart owners do it when new and continue to do it.
Have seen brand new fancy pickups trucks getting treatment in the Chichester facility.

Does it drip?
Carrara in Shrewsbury, VT uses an oil that does drip quite a bit for a longer period.
The facility in Chichester uses their own oil formula that does not drip much at all. Although there could be some dripping for a few days.

Here is a video from a franchisee : LINK that does explain all.
This video is from a franchisee.

There are a few independent places that do the oil undercoating. There is one in Loudon, NH and one in West Lebanon, NH.

I have used them all and now I just go to the Chichester facility as that is the main office and more convenient for me.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #28
fatlazyless

Busky's Auto garage on Main St, Ashland, close to the Dunk'n Donuts, does undercoatings and uses www.woolwaxusa.com.

Better get it done at Busky's!
Old 11-07-2020, 04:25 AM   #29
TheProfessor

Quote:
Busky's Auto garage on Main St, Ashland, close to the Dunk'n Donuts, does undercoatings and uses www.woolwaxusa.com.

Better get it done at Busky's!
Another great product and excellent suggestion.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #30
fatlazyless

From the Dept of Useless Information:

Did you know the Exit-24 Ashland Dunk'n Donuts now has eight Tesla electric charging stations, ready to use for charging up your Tesla before you go hit the hiking trails, or go hit the ski slopes.

And, even if you do not drive an electric Tesla, you can still park your beat-up Scion that burns oil in a Tesla space and make believe you do while eating a donut, or adding another 3/4 qt of oil!

Is Ashland NH a great town, or what!

Do a search for 'Tesla super charger, Ashland NH.'

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-07-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #31
Hillcountry

Quote:

Does this place use Fluid Film or another product?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #32
fatlazyless

Better get it done at Busky's, Exit-24, Ashland ...... and get it done best!

........ www.woolwaxusa.com/FAQs_ep_45-1.html ..... Busky's does it best ..... it uses WOOLWAX!

........ check this one out ...... "Can Woolwax be applied over existing rust? My vehicle is older, and is already rusty?" ...... Why yes, of course, why even that very very high mileage, rusty wreck of a vehicle will get a brave new life when it is undercoated with Woolwax ..... absolutely, positively, absolutely ....... !
Old 11-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #33
TheProfessor

The DPW uses rock salt, sand, and now an extremely corrosive liquid brine. On the roads during snow season. Take a closer look at the DPW trucks. One can see the tube in the back spraying this newer corrosive liquid brine.

That stuff eats the paint and the metal. Veraciously attacks the metal and the paint.

Few cars come with stainless steel nuts, bolts, washer, springs, etc. And those begin to rust from day one of any new vehicle.

Most have never seen the bottom of their vehicle. Take a look sometime.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #34
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
The DPW uses rock salt, sand, and now an extremely corrosive liquid brine. On the roads during snow season. Take a closer look at the DPW trucks. One can see the tube in the back spraying this newer corrosive liquid brine.

That stuff eats the paint and the metal. Veraciously attacks the metal and the paint.

Few cars come with stainless steel nuts, bolts, washer, springs, etc. And those begin to rust from day one of any new vehicle.

Most have never seen the bottom of their vehicle. Take a look sometime.
Yes, you are correct. it makes one wonder as to what damage this "liquid brine" is doing to the water supply or environment.......
Old 11-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #35
fatlazyless

Toyota pickup trucks, the mid-size Tacoma from about ten years ago are infamous for needing the frame, where it surrounds the steering column, replaced due to a rusted out frame, there.

Is maybe a problem with other pickups, too?

Good reason to better go to Buskey's in Ashland for the Woolwax anti-rust stuff. How much do even used hi-mileage pick-up trucks cost ....... a lot ...... pick-ups do not depreciate too much.

Even though the website says it is an automatic, www.youngsautosales.com in Laconia has a 2009 Toyota Tacoma xtra cab, 2-wheel drive, 5-speed manual, dark gray with 151,000-miles for $8000. Forgot to ask if they also charge a dealer prep fee? Like, who the heck in their right mind would pay $8000 for an eleven year old pickup with 151,000-miles. I do not get it but it is very tempting and is definitely my type of a vehicle ...... find a truck cap that fits from somewhere, and paint it dark gray to match.

In 1984 I buy an identical Toyota pick-up, brand new, for about $4200! ...... and it had those small triangle side vent windows which were excellent, but no longer exist.

This Youngs website does not want to work ...... probably has a rust problem ..... just like the Toyota.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-10-2020 at 08:13 AM.