Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2004, 08:54 AM   #1
Just Wonderin

Default Looking for small boat suggestions

We are looking for a small boat to use on the lake. We already have a larger Grady White that we use for everything else but are looking for something under 16' that we can use to go back an forth from Cow Island to Pier 19.

We're not looking for luxury or comfort, so please don't say that we need to go larger. I would like some suggestions on what has worked for you. Also, what outboard and power do you like?
Old 03-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
tr*41

Default Re: Looking for small boat suggestions

We have a Terhi 4100 with a 25 hp and love it.
Bought ours from Irwin Marine. http://www.irwinmarine.com/brand.asp?id=8

TERHI
Old 03-26-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
madrasahs

You don't state your needs for storage, expense, easy manual starting of the outboard, or the pulling up of the boat on a beach; however -- though a bit heavy and pricey -- a Boston Whaler is an excellent choice. 15 HP will push a 14-foot BW at about 20MPH with two aboard.

In aluminum, Feathercraft made a very strong 14-foot boat. There's nothing to wear out on them -- buy it 2nd hand -- save thousands. You can get away with 6HP on the Feathercraft. Indestructable, easy-starting, freshwater Evinrude/Johnson 6HP outboards from the 70's can be found at $75.

Did you consider an inflatable?

Incidentally, your Grady-White is an excellent choice as your main boat based on everything I've read (here -- and elsewhere).
Old 03-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
fatlazyless

You can load up a 14' Alumacraft vee hull - 15hp - two stroke outboard, tiller handle control with rocks, bags of cement, lumber, you name it, and safely use it as a work boat. For something a whole lot sportier & more fun to drive, try a 14' aluminum vee hull with a carpeted interior & side console steering w/ a 25hp two stroke outboard, which is also the max hp for kids less than 16 years (or so?).
Old 03-26-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
Frdxplorer

We have a 13' Boston Whaler which is a very basic boat. No frills whatsoever. Pretty rough boat hitting the wake also. However, Whaler also has several other options under 16'. I would suggest checking out the dauntless line. Nice little runabouts that are versatile and would fit your needs nicely. Check them out at www.whaler.com
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
John

Depending on what you want how about a 13-15' Boston Whaler with a 20-35 hp Scott Attwater.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:46 AM   #7
556 ZP

I would look for an open aluminum boat, probably 14'. Easy maintenance, easy to handle. Probably less expensive than a Boston Whaler fiberglass skiff. Most outboards brands are probably comparable & 9.9-20 hp would be fine for that size aluminum. My father had this kind of boat for years & started with a 9.9 outboard, then 15 & finally sold it with a 35 HP which was the max HP it could take. We had great fun with it, never had any problems with it & used to just take a ride, fishing & even waterskiing.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #8
Tim

A 13' Boston Whaler is a GREAT boat. They hold their value and even more important in a small boat, it is unsinkable. It's a great boat also for getting under low bridges as well. Stable tri-hull design, can be a wet boat. Used is a good way to go. find a cheap one and put a new motor on it. Brand new with a 40hp your looking at about $11k. It also makes for a great boat to learn with. Dogs love 13' Whalers!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
Just Wonderin

Thanks for all the great suggestions. If you've got any more, keep them coming. Does anyone have any experience with either an EdgeWater 13' or 15' or a Sea Hunt 13' or 15'?

We just want to be sure that we consider all of the options before deciding.

(Our needs are just to get back and forth. Anything beyond that, we just use the Grady.)
Old 03-26-2004, 03:26 PM   #10
556 ZP

I know Edgewater has good reviews in Motorboating magazine but the reviews were for larger boats. However, the reviews indicate that the construction is of high quality & I am sure that would be present in all the models. My impression is that it is not a large mass producer like some of the more well known names.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:53 PM   #11
Silver Duck

If I were going to venture out in a small boat (even for your short run) I wouldn't have anything other than a Whaler.

Swamp it, even cut it in half, it will still float and save your life.

Silver Duck
Old 03-27-2004, 04:44 PM   #12
Sail Boat John

We gave our Roth 15 with a Yamaha 50 to the LPC a couple of years ago. I know they were trying to sell it - they might still have it. 15 feet, vee forward to almost flat aft. 30 MPH wide open. Less pounding that the Whalers but same construction methods.

SBJ
Old 03-27-2004, 05:22 PM   #13
Professor and Mary Ann

A friend of mine has a 17 Sea Hunt, I know it's bigger than you want, but I was very impressed with the room and quality of this boat.
Also priced right and good ride, I'm sure that their smaller ones are equally as good
Old 03-27-2004, 10:00 PM   #14
mastercraft man

Default good runabout boats

Could you please suggest a couple good runabout boats. I am looking for something fast and installed with steering. No bigger than 15 feet.

Thank you
Old 03-28-2004, 11:34 AM   #15
charlie

Scott Atwater?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:43 AM   #16
Randy

I have a 12" Triumph with a 25 hp merc. Triumph is a roto molded plastic boat that has 5 times the impact resistance of fiberglass. My son used this boat on Paugus Bay and it handles the water surprisingly well. It does no slap like a whaler.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:23 AM   #17
John

Probably do not make them anymore. They were in the same family I believe as the Elgin, sears, Montgomery Ward. They had some good ones, and then they had more of the others, I wondered if anyone would catch that. LOL
Old 03-29-2004, 11:08 AM   #18
John

When I was just a lad of 12 my father built for me a boat that was just 6' long cause The Puddy tat was too fast. Now I think a jetski is safer when I think of the boat. We put a 6 hp elgin on that boat and if you leaned on the bow, and weight but maybe 75 lbs (I forget about that weight now) the boat would take off perhaps doing about 40. On Monday morning Dad would have to head back to Mass to go to work Mom and us kids would stay. Dad was to take the 6hp motor to work with him. could hardly wait till Friday came and the motor came back.

I think if you want a small boat, then build one, it makes for a great winter project, and then it has more meaning in the water then any other type of boat. Been there, did that, loved it.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #19
mastercraft man

How about a zodiac or avon inflatable?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:28 AM   #20
Grady 223

We are in a very simiilr situation. Have a Grady White for our main transport to and from the Island. Because we often have guests and they like to borrow tranpsoration (definitely not the Grady), we decided on a Triumph (previously known as Legend) which is a polypropelene boat and practically indestructible. Got the 17' center console (170CC) with e 60hp Merc 4 stroke. Runs over a month on a tank of gas and handles the lake decently for its size - plus the price is reasonable. It is light and easy to handle in and around the town docks by novices. My wife loves it for running into town (Wolfeboro) to shop.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:04 PM   #21
Gil & Mary Anne Peck

Boston Whaler's 13 ft with a 25 horsepower is ideal. It is a " rough rider" in choppy water, but will never let you down. WE love ours, have had it for six years.-- and it's a 1966 boat! I'd opt for a Mariner or Yamaha outboard. Honda is also great power, but pricey!
Old 04-15-2004, 01:38 PM   #22
BBS

Default "blow boats"

Anyone with a small sailboat in this forum? We're hoping to get a mooring in the association that we belong to this summer and we're wondering whether a 15 foot sloop-rigged daysailer (with keel) will be overwhelmed by all of the go-fast boats in the broads.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:57 PM   #23
Mink Islander

Check out e-bay for a decent deal on a small boat. A neighbor bought a 17 ft Montauk last summer that way and's very happy. I have an old '83 Montauk with a Yamaha 100 on it -- more power than you need, but as noted elsewhere, these are durable/functional boats and last forever. Put a dodger on the front or even full canvas and you'll be ready for anything.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:39 PM   #24
madrasahs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS
Anyone with a small sailboat in this forum...we're wondering whether a 15 foot sloop-rigged daysailer (with keel) will be overwhelmed by all of the go-fast boats in the broads.
Generally, small sailboats are pretty tough -- even as small as 15-feet. Keep an eye on the weather.

Our harbormaster in Cadiz, Spain, allowed our dozen Snipe fleet (16-footers) out to race in some really strong winds. We weren't called back in even when the harbormaster realized that the hand on his anemometer had run twice around the dial. We were racing in gale-force winds!

I've forgotten who won the race. Both of my stainless-steel shrouds were unravelling, so I had to retire.

For The Broads, I'd suggest sails with orange and red on them. I posted a collision on this forum between a go-fast and a 24-foot Colgate class (which has a 30 feet of mast ) with jib and main raised. (Mid-day, bright-skies, light wind). Absolutely no excuse for the driver of the offshore.

Is your sailboat really a keeled, 15-foot, sloop-rigged daysailer? What class is it?
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:29 AM   #25
BBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasahs

Is your sailboat really a keeled, 15-foot, sloop-rigged daysailer? What class is it?

Thanks.... good advice.
It's a Cape Cod Mercury. It does have a keel which makes it fairly stable. The down side is we need a lift to launch it.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #26
madrasahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS
"...we're wondering whether a...daysailer will be overwhelmed by all of the go-fast boats in the broads.
On Winnipesaukee -- for reasons I don't understand -- these newer, over-sized visitors to the lake (increasingly, that's most of them) tend to use smaller boats as markers, and seldom yield until too close. (A practice analygous to a SUV stuck on your rear bumper). Age of the operator doesn't seem to matter.

Maybe it's electronic-gadgetry-distraction, like stereos, VHF radios, cell-phones, or GPS-sorting?

I should have added a handy item to have on all boats (particularly those with wary skippers on board):
For several years, I've always kept a small mirror at hand to "flash" the sun at these oncoming, numb-minded boaters.

Last year, I tried a used CD (Compact Disk) as a mirror. They are unbreakable, disposable, readily available, and reflect the sun like a mirror. They don't float, but they're dern-cheap insurance. (When the sun's out).

Only one boater -- ONE -- has ever acknowleged my signal (with a knowing wave).

Carry one -- use one -- you'll see that it works.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #27
jrc

Default Don't panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS
Anyone with a small sailboat in this forum? We're hoping to get a mooring in the association that we belong to this summer and we're wondering whether a 15 foot sloop-rigged daysailer (with keel) will be overwhelmed by all of the go-fast boats in the broads.
Don't forget Winnipesaukee is a big lake and although some spots are crowded with large power boats, especially on weekends, there are plenty of sailboats in other parts of the lake. Sailboat mecca seems to be Fay's boatyard in Glendale. Dozens of them come out of there any day there's a breeze. There are often markers set up in the area between Welch Island and Ellacoya and some sailboat racing going on.

When the wind picks up there can be some serious chop in that area and the rest of the broads. When there is no wind, there can be some big wakes.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote