Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default .... fishing Squam?

Well.....all the ice has just recently gone out of Big Squam, Little Squam, and the 1/10-th mile long, Squam Channel, that connects the two lakes. Squam Lake is the second largest lake in New Hampshire.

Located in Holderness, NH, about a 15-minute drive from Rt 93, Exit 24 in Ashland, there is a free-to-use, no fee to park and launch, NH Fish & Game state boat launch facility located on Rt 113, about 100-yards from the turn off from Rt 25 in Holderness, and just behind the Squam Lakes Science Center. It unloads your boat into the Squam Channel.

This free boat launch has 24 designated parking spots, designated for vehicles with trailers....and there's a double ramp and dock for launching your boat.

Drove through there this morning, and there was just one parked vehicle with a trailer, and 23 empty spaces.

Is Squam a good lake for fishing or what? Is free-to-use also a good price or what .....and......is the Squam shoreline a lot more tree-sie, green and wooded than Winnipesaukee, or what?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

There is very good fishing to be had in Squam - been over there a number of times. The only thing to be careful of in that lake is the fact it's a mine field of rocks - not the place to go if you have a hard time navigating. A mistake in that lake will not be very forgiving.

It's definitely not as developed along the shore line as the big lake. Much of that can be attributed to much of that property being owned by multi generational families, large lots with lots of frontage per lot and there is a certain ambiance that the shorefront owners wish to maintain. Hence the huge multi year fight over the installation of that state owned boat ramp.

It's very expensive to buy property on that lake.

There is no "Wal-Mart" side of Squam Lake!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
noreast (04-21-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
............... not the place to go if you have a hard time navigating. A mistake in that lake will not be very forgiving.
Good advice, from MAXUM not a place for newbies, all the same types of dangers that Winni has to offer but in a smaller package. One of those types of lakes were intimate local knowledge is key in some places. Imagine going thru places like the Graveyard with out markers a few feet to the left or right can make a very very big difference. Additional advice don't follow people there unless you know exactly what "You" are doing. Lots of open areas that look safe in the middle, but with widely spaced maker buoys making it hard to spot out the danger zones.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
Striper295

I was told that Squam is barely marked.. is there proper markers to guide mariners or is it local knowledge only?
Striper295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
topwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper295 View Post
I was told that Squam is barely marked.. is there proper markers to guide mariners or is it local knowledge only?
I fish Squam probably more then anyone on here. I have for 15 years and know it backwards and forwards. There are plenty of markers and the lake map shows them. I do not need the map. COMMON SENSE should dictate what you do on ANY lake. If you don't know where you are STOP !!. Look at your map and continue. There are hazards but if your not a stupid boater you will never see them.
Please, whatever you do, DO NOT BE AFRAID of Squam Lake, it is a Beautiful lake. Great Fishing ( Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Salmon, Rainbow Trout, Lake Trout, White/Yellow Perch. Water is extremely clean and clear, just to many wonderful things to say about it.
Only down side I know of is there is only 24-26 parking spots that are free.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
wifi

Default Been there, done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
...DO NOT BE AFRAID of Squam Lake....
As stated, know where the hidden hazard are, as stated, use common sense, not confidence, when navigating, especially here.

Not to be corny, but on track, look at the cost to get Walter
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Old 04-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
I fish Squam probably more then anyone on here. I have for 15 years and know it backwards and forwards. There are plenty of markers and the lake map shows them. I do not need the map. COMMON SENSE should dictate what you do on ANY lake. If you don't know where you are STOP !!. Look at your map and continue. There are hazards but if your not a stupid boater you will never see them.
Please, whatever you do, DO NOT BE AFRAID of Squam Lake, it is a Beautiful lake. Great Fishing ( Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Salmon, Rainbow Trout, Lake Trout, White/Yellow Perch. Water is extremely clean and clear, just to many wonderful things to say about it.
Only down side I know of is there is only 24-26 parking spots that are free.
Top Water is correct in everything he says. I only have one suggestion (and I am not picking on him): can everyone PLEASE refer to the paper reference guides for bodies of water as "charts", not "maps". I hate to split hairs, but they are charts:

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/chart_map.html
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
bousquety (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
topwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Top Water is correct in everything he says. I only have one suggestion (and I am not picking on him): can everyone PLEASE refer to the paper reference guides for bodies of water as "charts", not "maps". I hate to split hairs, but they are charts:

You say charts, all the Tourist say map. You like potato and I like potahto. You like Tomato and I like Tomahto. Potato, Potahto, Tomato, Tomahto.. Let's call the whole thing off.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Seems likely, that sooner or later, some year soon, the Downing's Landing at the tip of Alton Bay, on lake winnipesaukee, will get a redo similar to the very well designed and well constructed Fish & Game state launch here on squam.

You know what they say ....... where there's a will, there's a way ...... so who wants to leave $10,000 in their will, for the NH F&G to redo Downing's? Such a super-duper location at Alton Bay.....just needs a redo? Once , it's constructed, it's probably good to go.....for many, many years of happy boat launching.......down at Downing's! All it takes is a F&G revenue source, and didn't they just raise the price for a license from $35 up to $45, so hopefully the money is piling up.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post

Ya,and next time I stop by your place I expect more ropes to tie up.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #12
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Seems likely, that sooner or later, some year soon, the Downing's Landing at the tip of Alton Bay, on lake winnipesaukee, will get a redo similar to the very well designed and well constructed Fish & Game state launch here on squam.

You know what they say ....... where there's a will, there's a way ...... so who wants to leave $10,000 in their will, for the NH F&G to redo Downing's? Such a super-duper location at Alton Bay.....just needs a redo? Once , it's constructed, it's probably good to go.....for many, many years of happy boat launching.......down at Downing's! All it takes is a F&G revenue source, and didn't they just raise the price for a license from $35 up to $45, so hopefully the money is piling up.
Sunapee as well. I don't know what happened to the plans for Gooseneck, (or Goose something) Did the locals win that one? Alton should happen soon I would think.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #13
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Ya,and next time I stop by your place I expect more ropes to tie up.
That's right, SS!! I'll make sure we have plenty of ropes for you. Don't forget your map when you head over.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
topwater

Don't you have a chart telling you how many ropes are needed for each type of boat ? Everyone should.