Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
Vision2000

Default Updated Ice Reports Requested

Updated Ice Reports Requested

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears looking at my own private dock cam that my dock with two large capacty circulators is all iced in, similar to what happend last year when we had the bitter cold weather. It also appears that most of the lake is now frozen in solid. I'd like to hear some reliable updates from others as to ice conditions on the different parts of the lake. Especially would be interested as to where and when people are seeing veichles being driven on the ice. Please describe type and location! Bob House reports, etc.. Most importanly, and helpful to the people here would be some ACTUAL UPDATED ICE Thickness reports, please include location and date.

Thank you everyone... looking forward to finally riding the new sled on the lake...safely!

Vision2000
Vision2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
texas chopper

Default ice report

I punched 2 holes outside Meredith Bay between Grouse Point and Weirs Beach before the snow started Saturday afternoon. One hole had 9" of ice 100yds from shore. The other hole had 8" of ice 50 yds. from shore. Haved seen any trucks out in front but a few bobhouses and some sleds have been going by. Be safe
texas chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Major problem

Exclamation Every Year

It seems that somebody crashes thru the ice in their vehicle every year. Back in Feb 2003 "Big Guy" posted one of my favorite pics here that he called "New Marker"

The Ice that year was about 2 feet thick elsewhere on the lake at the time.

It can be very deceiving.
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

I believe that photo was taken at the hole in the wall.That is always an area to stay away from. SS
Old 01-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
Drummer Boy

Default Ice report on Big Lake

We're thinking about taking the sleds on a ride from Gilford to Alton on Saturday riding on the lake. Does anyone have a report on the conditions?
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Fargo

Default ice

Two sleds went to the bottom under Governors Island bridge on Saturday. Hope no one got hurt, that area never freezes.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 10:21 PM   #7
KTO

Exclamation

You think you would have enough sense to know that thin channels don't freeze very well, especially with the rocks being right underneath water level in some enclosed areas. And of course bridges rarely freeze thick, especially around Paugus bay (Cuz the water is always moving out to Lakeport!).
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:35 AM   #8
Eki

Default ice

2 test holes at rattlesnake on treasure/sleeper side

9 1/2"
11"

ice fishing hole by treasure on minge side

6"
Eki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default 19 Mile Bay

18 to 20" of ice there with lots of folks out on the ice. Using a human powered auger to drill holes is no fun when it's that thick.

Riding on the lake was great, but did notice that there are those who just can't help themselves and were skimming over by black island. Apparently the fact it is now illegal doesn't seem to stop anyone.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:11 PM   #10
Smokengunner

Default Ice thickness - the broads

Ice fishing this weekend in front of our house on the broads -- near shore 12-14 inches --- middle of the broads (between Wolfeboro Neck and Rattlesnake) about 7-9 inches. Thought it would be a lot thicker with the cold weather we had.

Slushy snow going around the airport into Winter Harbor - snapped the ski right off my bob house on Saturday... ...
Smokengunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:14 PM   #11
j+k construction

Default Ice thickness

10 inches tops in The Broads in front of Lake Shore Park. I thought there would be more although it was solid "black ice." The lake riding is fantastic. There still isnt any fish though. Im going to Florida. Go Pats.
j+k construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:01 PM   #12
FLAG!

Default Wolfeboro Area

I had roughly 14 inches on the wolfeboro side of Barndoor Island on Sunday. There was plenty of automotive activity in the area. Two plowed roads going from Brewster beach to the varney islands. I spoke to two guys on Saturday who had their truck on the ice. They said there was 12" of ice in Wolfeboro Bay.
FLAG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #13
K1RD

Default Need ice info near Bear Island Mail Dock

I have a scout troop that will be camping on Bear Island Feb 26 to Mar 1. For safety reasons we need to be aware of the ice conditions from Brown's Boat to the Mail Dock. Any posts on this will be helpful. Thanks, Ralph

How are the trails on Bear Island as of Tuesday 2-22?

Last edited by K1RD; 02-22-2005 at 09:21 AM. Reason: update
K1RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #14
DRH

We're located in the West Alton area of the lake near Minge Cove. We have between 12" - 15" of solid ice here, but right now it's covered with several inches of slushy snow and water. We may get some rain this afternoon, but this evening the weather is supposed to turn "seasonably" colder and stay that way at least through the weekend.

The ice in our area is safe, although it's a little unnerving when you walk on the surface and sink down into slush! (There's solid ice under the slush.) Maybe someone can give you a report up closer to Bear Island.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
UpperValleyNative

I was out on the hardwater Sat. and Sun (12th and 13th). There was 10-12 inches of ice 250 yards off shore of Sandy Island. Did some sledding around Little Bear and Cow. Everything was great there, though I was bogged down in the slush too.
UpperValleyNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:33 PM   #16
nightrider

Default 12" winter harbor

12" winter harbor
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #17
Will

Default Ice Out Status

Whats the status of the ice on the lake, still thick or starting to lessen?

Thanks
Will
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #18
Vision2000

Default Ice is SOLID but changing!

I spent the afternoon snowmobiling on the trails west of Alton (Powder Hill Trails) and on the lake, out to RattleSnake Island & Wolfeboro Bay & Alton Bay. The trails were very good for riding, and so was the open areas of the lake. However, around the islands the ice is changing color, lots of standing water and some slush on the ice. Still safe for sledding, if you are careful, but if the warm weather persists, the ice will continue to change very quickly. There are still a few Bob Houses on the ice, but several of them look like they were sinking.... in large pools of water. We just might get one more weekend of safe ice, on Easter, and perhas some trail riding in as well.

We would like to hear from others who rode this weekend.

Thanks!
Vision2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:13 AM   #19
codeman671

Default Lake was decent

I rode on Saturday out of Alton Bay and basically went everywhere between there and Meredith. It wasn't really even much slush. There was still vehicles all over the lake although I think that it is getting to the point where they might want to reconsider doing that...There is enough snow on the lake to keep the sliders cool and have a decent ride. There was only a few pressure ridges in the usual spots and it seemed fairly safe around them. Along a lot of docks with bubblers the ice is thinning out further than it was a few weeks ago when I was up. The area around my neighbors dock has opened up 3-4 times what it was a few weeks back. Overall a great day to be on the lake!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:55 AM   #20
secondcurve

Default Stay Safe

I'm glad you had a good day on the sled. I put mine away a couple weeks back. Be careful out there, I'd hate to see any snowmobile fatalities in the final weeks.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #21
Proline

We drilled thru ice in 20 mile bay that was 30+ inches thick on Sunday.
Proline is offline   Reply With Quote