Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Private Car Sale in NH?

I'm purchasing a new car next week, and undecided whether to take the Dealer trade or sell my car myself.

I know trading makes more sense and a lot less hassle, but may be able to make considerable more selling the car myself. The car is fairly good shape, and would sell on Craigslist.

In Mass......
I know 'private' car sales have the same 30 day warranty, as if a dealer sells the car. There is no such thing as selling a car in Mass. 'as is' anymore.
The car also must pass MA State inspection. If the car doesn't pass inspection, the buyer has the right to return the car to you for a full refund of money,
if it requires more than 10% of the puchase price in repairs to get the car to pass inspection.

I'm not saying that my car won't pass inspection, but once it's sold I do't want it back to repeat the circle.

I know here is a 'leomon law' in NH, but I believe this only applies to 'new' cars.
What is the 'private' car sale regulations in N.H. ?

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
AC2717

in MA, if you list the knowable problems associated with the vehicle with the bill of sale, the buyer cannot come back to you for the known issues with the vehicle.
I am unaware in NH though
Old 06-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
chipj29

In NH you can sell as is. No warranty, no lemon law, no requirement for it to pass inspection.

If you do sell to a private party, make sure your bill of sale states "Sold As Is-no warranty" or something like that.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
That Guy

"as is"

That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Of course the answer to the question, "undecided whether to take the Dealer trade or sell my car myself?" Depends on how much the dealer is offering for the trade-in.

Here's what I have done in the past. I had a 2007 Rav4 that I wanted to use to trade for a newer vehicle.

So, I went on line to Edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/ and got a price for what a dealer would sell the trade-in for and I chopped 2K off of that number. Next I told the dealer the number I wanted for my Rav4 in a trade and he offered me 2K less than that number. So, I walked out on the deal. Two days later he called me back and offered me an additional 1K for the trade and I told him it had to be yet another 1K. He said they could not do it and that was the end of that conversation. The next day he called back and I got my full asking price for my trade-in and we did the deal.

The point is that you need to know what your car will bring to them and allow for them to make a profit on it and stand firm. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
bigdog

Thanks every one for all the great responses.
I may sell car in NH or Mass whoever comes up with the cash.

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
The point is that you need to know what your car will bring to them and allow for them to make a profit on it and stand firm. Good luck!
All can be complicated as to price of new car. Dealer cost, invoice cost, MSRP sticker price, 4% hold back, etc. And then local regional incentives, rebates, 0% financing (cost of money)etc.

Just to use some hypothetical round numbers. Fake numbers to make a point.

A $30,000 MSRP cost the dealer $27,000. 10% off the MSRP.
You have a complete clunker with engine and transmission failing with all sorts of other problems.
You go to trade it in and the dealer offers you $2,500 off MSRP for your car as a trade.
Wow! The dealer gave you a real good deal and a lot for your old clunker as a trade in. The new car dealer gave you $2,500 for a car that is worth $200.00 from a junk yard. You got a real good deal.
Or did you?

When in fact, if you walked in and offered the new car dealer $27,200.00 without a trade in you cold have purchased that new car without any trade in.
So what did the dealer actually give you for your trade in in real money?

These are fake numbers but do make a point about trade ins.

To obtain the real value of your trade in is to visit new car dealer. Park way away from showroom.
Make the best deal you can for the car you want. Obviously, as stated above, find out what this new car is selling for or worth.
Once you have made the best deal and you agree that this new car is worth the agreed upon price - then - and only then - do you tell dealer you want to trade in your old car. Sitting way over at far end of lot.
This is the only way you will find out what your trade in is worth in real money.
Only then, do you decide whether to sell yourself or trade in.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote