Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2017, 05:38 AM   #1
TCC

Default I am thankful ...

I am thankful … for the storm. It was awe inspiring to watch the snow coming down on Tuesday afternoon. Toward sunset, the snow-filled air took on a beautiful pink glow against the wooded hills behind my home. On Wednesday morning, every single window offered a stunning picture postcard landscape. Gorgeous!

I am thankful … for my home. For the security of knowing that, although the winds blew and the snow built up outside, we were safe from the elements and had sufficient food, water, and warmth to get us through. I pray for those who are homeless.

I am thankful … for my wife. For nearly 45 years, she has brought strength and happiness and peace to my life. Through all of the good times and those that were difficult she has been my steadfast partner and friend.

I am thankful … for those who labor. Our power went out at 8:10 on Tuesday evening. We have a small wood stove and generator and I fully expected to need to use them. But somewhere, out in that cold and wind and snow, utility workers managed to bring the power back up just two hours later. There was comfort in knowing that police, fire, medical, and utility workers were on the job should the need for their services arise, weather notwithstanding.

I am thankful … for the road crews who kept the roads open, and especially for the plow driver who took extra care not to push snow back into my driveway after I’d cleared it.

I am thankful … that I didn’t have to drive in the storm. Before retiring, there were more times than I care to think about when I had no choice but to drive in serious snow. It’s not fun.

I am thankful … for the Metrocast outage. We were without television, internet, and landline phone from 4 PM on Tuesday until 7:30 PM on Wednesday. What a refreshing opportunity to break from the opiate of electronics and to reconnect with the real world! For my wife and me, it brought back wonderful memories from long, long ago.

I am thankful … for friends. For the neighbor who called on our “secret” cell line and our friend who stopped by the house to see that we were alright. Good friends are blessing, always.

And I’m thankful … most of all for the Lord who watches over me in all circumstances, who causes all things to work together for good for those who love Him, and who will never leave me nor forsake me.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to TCC For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (03-16-2017), Barney Bear (03-16-2017), Bear Guy (03-16-2017), Convertible Girl (03-16-2017), DBreskin (03-16-2017), eillac@dow (03-16-2017), elbie (03-16-2017), FlyingScot (03-16-2017), gillygirl (03-17-2017), jenfa (03-16-2017), jerseyonbear (03-16-2017), kbh (03-16-2017), KennyFromBoston (03-16-2017), Marauder (03-16-2017), Music Man (03-17-2017), Newbiesaukee (03-16-2017), onceMeg (03-17-2017), Orion (03-16-2017), persamp (03-16-2017), pondguy (03-16-2017), rander7823 (03-16-2017), SAMIAM (03-16-2017), tbonies (03-16-2017), whalebackpoint'r (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Is it Thanksgiving?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
GTO

Default oh and

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
I am thankful … for the storm. It was awe inspiring to watch the snow coming down on Tuesday afternoon. Toward sunset, the snow-filled air took on a beautiful pink glow against the wooded hills behind my home. On Wednesday morning, every single window offered a stunning picture postcard landscape. Gorgeous!

I am thankful … for my home. For the security of knowing that, although the winds blew and the snow built up outside, we were safe from the elements and had sufficient food, water, and warmth to get us through. I pray for those who are homeless.

I am thankful … for my wife. For nearly 45 years, she has brought strength and happiness and peace to my life. Through all of the good times and those that were difficult she has been my steadfast partner and friend.

I am thankful … for those who labor. Our power went out at 8:10 on Tuesday evening. We have a small wood stove and generator and I fully expected to need to use them. But somewhere, out in that cold and wind and snow, utility workers managed to bring the power back up just two hours later. There was comfort in knowing that police, fire, medical, and utility workers were on the job should the need for their services arise, weather notwithstanding.

I am thankful … for the road crews who kept the roads open, and especially for the plow driver who took extra care not to push snow back into my driveway after I’d cleared it.

I am thankful … that I didn’t have to drive in the storm. Before retiring, there were more times than I care to think about when I had no choice but to drive in serious snow. It’s not fun.

I am thankful … for the Metrocast outage. We were without television, internet, and landline phone from 4 PM on Tuesday until 7:30 PM on Wednesday. What a refreshing opportunity to break from the opiate of electronics and to reconnect with the real world! For my wife and me, it brought back wonderful memories from long, long ago.

I am thankful … for friends. For the neighbor who called on our “secret” cell line and our friend who stopped by the house to see that we were alright. Good friends are blessing, always.

And I’m thankful … most of all for the Lord who watches over me in all circumstances, who causes all things to work together for good for those who love Him, and who will never leave me nor forsake me.

Mills Falls is thankful for filling up all their rooms with all the out of state linemen working in the area. There must of been 20 trucks parked in their lot this morning
Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Orion

Default I, too...

I am thankful for this forum where we can enjoy the morning coffee while reading inspiring tidbits such as this thread, among others.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
jenfa

What a way to put a positive spin on winter in New England. Thank you for posting your heartfelt appreciation.
jenfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
YES! I don't know how my parents managed to get by without all of the electronic diversions. I have no idea what they did to pass the time away back then. I'll have to ask my 4 brothers and 6 sisters if they know.
Barney Bear (03-16-2017), GTO (03-16-2017), Music Man (03-17-2017), rander7823 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
YES! I don't know how my parents managed to get by without all of the electronic diversions. I have no idea what they did to pass the time away back then. I'll have to ask my 4 brothers and 6 sisters if they know.
The kids went outside and played in the snow while our parents shoveled and snow blowed. When we were done we all came back in and played board games. Remember those?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
GTO

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
I see what you did there.......
Airedale1 (03-17-2017), Biggd (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
MDoug

Default Thankful

Dont worry about being grateful--it will pass.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoug View Post
Dont worry about being grateful--it will pass.
I already passed that and I was grateful.