Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
garysanfran

Default AT&T/Direct TV...WARNING

Went to place them on "vacation hold" for about $15/month while away. Here's their policy..

"Have a combination of internet, phone, or U-verse TV service? You’ll have to put each one on hold. You can place all other AT&T services on Vacation Hold as needed. For example, if you have DIRECTV, AT&T Internet, and AT&T Phone, you can keep DIRECTV active, but you’ll have to suspend AT&T Phone and Internet together.

You can put your service on Vacation Hold twice within a 12-month period. The minimum time you can suspend service is 2 months and the maximum is 9 months.

You’ll have to meet these requirements to place your service on hold:
Account in good standing
Active service for at least 30 days
Start date between 10 and 30 days from the day you request the hold
Restoration of service between 60 and 270 days from the start date"...

Met all these requirements and was told they can't do it (they did it last year) because they are getting an "error message".

I kicked this up as high as I could with no satisfaction and no explanation...

My choice...

Pay $197 for 6 months or cancel the service.

Good riddance AT&T and go to hell!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (04-06-2019), trfour (04-06-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Woodsy

That sucks!

Switch to a streaming service.....

Woodsy
Old 04-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
garysanfran

Default Forgot to add...

They also want to charge me a $240 cancellation fee.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default DirectTV

On Welch Island, I have only Direct TV, no other AT&T services. In the fall when I suspend, they make me pay the latest bill before they will take action, then I get a statement every month with a ~$50 credit. I can only suspend for five months, so they turn it back on before Ice-Out. My plan last fall was to cancel and just go with streaming via DSL/Roku.
Anybody have experience?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
JerseyGuy (04-09-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I have been for the past year using Roku/Directv NOW and high speed internet via ABB. Works great... BUT.....

AT&T has changed the Directv NOW packages and significantly jacked their prices. The package I have now costs 2Xs what I pay for it to get the same channels as new subscriber. Crazy, if they are trying to attract customers they aren't when the cost of streaming now rivals that of their sat service.

May want to look at other providers, there are pros and cons to them all.

DSL service may be a little light for streaming TV but there are so many variables for DSL it's hard to say how well it will perform till you try it.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
DougNH

I have directv at my house in MA. When we come to our NH place on the weekends we just bring one of the cable box’s and plug it in. We installed just the dish here in NH. Works great been doing it for years…
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH View Post
I have directv at my house in MA. When we come to our NH place on the weekends we just bring one of the cable box’s and plug it in. We installed just the dish here in NH. Works great been doing it for years…

I do the same and you can also stream direct tv from your primary home to you lake house.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ... Consolidated Communications to the rescue!

After about a month or so, am very pleased with my new Consolidated Communications, $32/month, about $52/month with required add-on's for wifi that plays YouTube-TV($100/3-months) with no problems and will go outside ...... don't know how far the signal goes ... but is plenty far enough .... from the mailbox and down out onto the ice.

YouTube-TV has both the Tennis Channel and Turner Classic Movies.

The Consolidated Communications installer took about 90-minutes to replace the wire going from road to house with one intermediate utility pole in between, which supposedly makes a difference for the wifi signal, and their inside modem looks like a big, powerful modem. And, I actually felt a little bit guilty for not giving the installer a twenty dollar tip for doing a very neat, organized, and sturdy looking, new wire installation ..... but I got over that!

By the way ..... whoever you are ..... you did a hell of a good job ..... and, it all works amazingly good, so far.
rick35 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
dpg

So not totally sure I understand the original post. They wanted 15.00 for each service another words 15x3=45 a month? If you were around 200.00 a month using it (again assuming this) isn't 45.00 ok? Sure I'm missing something...Sorry...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
The Real BigGuy

Dpg, it sounds like garysanfran was willing to go forward but, AT&T couldn’t execute for some software reason. This was going to force him to pay $197 for the time he wasn’t using the service while he was away or cancel.

Seems like they should have pursued finding out was was causing the error, and credited him the difference between the normal vacation shut down & the 197.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #11
garysanfran

Default A total of ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
So not totally sure I understand the original post. They wanted 15.00 for each service another words 15x3=45 a month? If you were around 200.00 a month using it (again assuming this) isn't 45.00 ok? Sure I'm missing something...Sorry...
$15/month to put everything on vacation hold. For 6 months the math is...6x15=$90 vs. 6x200=$1,200.

My point is...They wouldn't put it on hold and wanted to charge the $200/month. My contract with them says I'm allowed to do vacation hold twice/year. They don't know why I was denied vacation hold. They've agreed to wave the $240 early cancellation penalty and watch a good customer walk away.

Cancelling this Wednesday...And they couldn't care.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #12
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
$15/month to put everything on vacation hold. For 6 months the math is...6x15=$90 vs. 6x200=$1,200.

My point is...They wouldn't put it on hold and wanted to charge the $200/month. My contract with them says I'm allowed to do vacation hold twice/year. They don't know why I was denied vacation hold. They've agreed to wave the $240 early cancellation penalty and watch a good customer walk away.

None of the large providers care if they lose a customer you just have to pick the one that fits your cost criteria and viewing habits.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Went to place them on "vacation hold" for about $15/month while away.

Met all these requirements and was told they can't do it (they did it last year) because they are getting an "error message".

I kicked this up as high as I could with no satisfaction and no explanation...

My choice...

So basically, you threw a hissy fit because there was a (perhaps temporary) computer glitch. You were not accepting anything but INSTANT GRATIFICATION, hence the comment that you "kicked it up as high as you could"

Did you also berating the Tier I, Tier II empoyees along the way? Because they could not give you instant satisfaction? "Let me speak to your supervisor!"

I do not work in any type of phone support nor do I work for a company that requires it. I just find it disgusting when people throw a fit over stupid things like this.

Take a breath, go for a walk, have a nap.... Let them get back to you in a day or two. I have always found that they pro-rate everything to benefit the customer rather than the company.

As far at the " Good riddance AT&T and go to hell! " comment..... They may very well feel the same
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #14
garysanfran

Default It's now 1 week later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
So basically, you threw a hissy fit because there was a (perhaps temporary) computer glitch. You were not accepting anything but INSTANT GRATIFICATION, hence the comment that you "kicked it up as high as you could"

Did you also berating the Tier I, Tier II empoyees along the way? Because they could not give you instant satisfaction? "Let me speak to your supervisor!"

I do not work in any type of phone support nor do I work for a company that requires it. I just find it disgusting when people throw a fit over stupid things like this.

Take a breath, go for a walk, have a nap.... Let them get back to you in a day or two. I have always found that they pro-rate everything to benefit the customer rather than the company.

As far at the " Good riddance AT&T and go to hell! " comment..... They may very well feel the same
Is that enough time for them to fix "their glitch" THEY STILL CAN'T AS OF TODAY!!!....Jeeezzz. Maybe you should spend more time "Indoors".
Old 04-10-2019, 04:14 AM   #15
fatlazyless

About two years ago, I made the big mistake of giving my credit card number to the helpful DirecTV lady over the phone. She was so very helpful with my tv issue. Only, later on same day, my credit card got billed for $85 at a Domino's Pizza in Las Angeles ..... ever since, I only give cc info out to a computerized voice because you can't trust the human on the phone .... is just too tempting to go have a pizza party on your money.

Very good that MVSB cc-security caught it fast.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 AM   #16
ApS

Arrow It Lives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
None of the large providers care if they lose a customer you just have to pick the one that fits your cost criteria and viewing habits.
I have a very-hard-to-please neighbor who was directed to AT&T's "Customer Retention Department".

Old 04-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #17
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I have a very-hard-to-please neighbor who was directed to AT&T's "Customer Retention Department".

I love Direct TV have it in both houses for over twenty years. I have always found their customer service to be responsive and when I had large increases I was not happy with, as you said I went to the retention department and they helped me. But as I also said they can only do so much and cannot make everyone happy so if they lose a customer they lose one no big deal to them.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #18
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Is that enough time for them to fix "their glitch" THEY STILL CAN'T AS OF TODAY!!!....Jeeezzz. Maybe you should spend more time "Indoors".
He's a settler, like in the commercial.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Your OP states that you cancelled your service completely on the day of your initial conversation. The fact that it is not fixed today is a moot point, you did not know then, nor did I know when I posted, that was and is the situation.

As far as spending more time "indoors"..... No thanks! Keep your TV, Video Games and Smart Phone.... I'm all set.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #20
garysanfran

Default Read more carefully..

Quote:
Your OP states that you cancelled your service completely on the day of your initial conversation. The fact that it is not fixed today is a moot point, you did not know then, nor did I know when I posted, that was and is the situation.

As far as spending more time "indoors"..... No thanks! Keep your TV, Video Games and Smart Phone.... I'm all set.
I didn't say I cancelled the service on that day. I said AT&T go to hell. The service on the landline was cancelled today. Tomorrow cable and internet goes bye bye....Read more carefully.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #21
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Today 04:31 PM
I didn't say I cancelled the service on that day. I said AT&T go to hell. The service on the landline was cancelled today. Tomorrow cable and internet goes bye bye....Read more carefully.
Taken from your OP 5 days ago....
Quote:
04-05-2019 12:26 PM
My choice...

Quote:
04-08-2019 04:44 PM
Quote:
Today 04:31 PM

It's your own timeline.

Have the last word on this, I'm done!
Old 04-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #22
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Time to call a truce guys!
I think we can all agree that the cable TV companies all $uck. You can threaten to cancel and they don't really care.
I honestly don't understand their business model. Most business owners will tell you it costs more to get new customers than it does to keep existing ones. But all the cable companies I've dealt with would rather let you go to the competition rather than give you a break.
There must be a statistic that tells them that most people that threaten to cancel don't so they play the percentages.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
dpg (04-11-2019), Outdoorsman (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #23
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Dpg, it sounds like garysanfran was willing to go forward but, AT&T couldn’t execute for some software reason. This was going to force him to pay $197 for the time he wasn’t using the service while he was away or cancel.

Seems like they should have pursued finding out was was causing the error, and credited him the difference between the normal vacation shut down & the 197.

Ah got it...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #24
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post

Something does not sound correct there. If the software could not allow a seasonal suspension of service I am sure they could have come up with so sort of compromise since it is very common for customers of there to have seasonal suspensions. I have always found DTV to be accommodating when it comes to seasonal suspensions
Old 04-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #25
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Time to call a truce guys!
I think we can all agree that the cable TV companies all $uck. You can threaten to cancel and they don't really care.
I honestly don't understand their business model. Most business owners will tell you it costs more to get new customers than it does to keep existing ones. But all the cable companies I've dealt with would rather let you go to the competition rather than give you a break.
There must be a statistic that tells them that most people that threaten to cancel don't so they play the percentages.
Agreed

10char
Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #26
garysanfran

Red face Disconnected today...

Needed to keep it alive until I leave for lake Winni...

The Customer Retention Dept. tried one more time today and she couldn't do it. It's coming up that I went over the 6 month limit. She agreed with me that there is a 9 month limit, per the above language in my Agreement. She responded, as did the others, that she had been with Direct Tv for 11 years and had never seen a customer treated like this. A mystery to all.

I've put it on vacation hold once since I subscribed... from April 2018 - Nov. 15 2018. I've lived up to my agreement with them. They have not lived up to theirs.

A done deal. Gone. Equipment given to USPS to return. Putting it behind me and heading the Toyota Tacoma towards the east. Looking forward to Atlantic Broadband.

Outdoorsman...I am looking forward to escaping the concrete jungle and watching spring arrive at The Lake...outdoors.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #27
Outdoorsman

Quote:
...Putting it behind me and heading the Toyota Tacoma towards the east. Looking forward to Atlantic Broadband.

Outdoorsman...I am looking forward to escaping the concrete jungle and watching spring arrive at The Lake...outdoors.
Good luck and safe travels on the cross country trip. Mother Nature is still being finicky with us North Easters. Be safe!
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #28
garysanfran

Default You're not going to believe this....

This morning I got an e-mail from AT&T welcoming me to my "new" service.

I called to make sure I had been cancelled. Megan, in Tennessee, assured me my cancel order was in place. She then asked if she could have a chance to save my account. I explained all the equipment has been sent back. But if she felt she can do what 4 other reps could not...Have at it!

Ten minutes later she got my "vacation hold" and waived all fees for the entire time. She said she got her manager to enter an "over ride" code. No other manager could do this?

All the equipment is being sent back overnight to me.

She explained that AT&T and Direct TV are having problems reconciling their differing internal operations...Thanks Megan!

Life is strange...And now I'm looking forward to going over the Monarch Summit, near Salida, CO. Over 11,200' high. Head east young man...Head east.
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
stingray (04-20-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #29
Barney Bear

Default Up and Over

Sounds like you are headed over the Rockies. Good luck! Looks stormy out there. My niece left Denver on Wednesday, just ahead of some wild weather. May be almost 70 here tomorrow. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #30
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default High altitude performance

It's been decades since I drove in the Rockies. I'm curious wshat sort of car you have and how it performs at high altitude. Is this an area where a hybrid has an advantage?
Appreciate the travelogue. Will we see pix?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #31
ApS

Smile It Lives!

Quote:
You're not going to believe this.
I believe it, and my hard-to-please neighbor would believe it.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #32
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
It's been decades since I drove in the Rockies. I'm curious wshat sort of car you have and how it performs at high altitude. Is this an area where a hybrid has an advantage?
Appreciate the travelogue. Will we see pix?
Got a good weather radar ap and I'm driving a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4-WD, 5-speed manual, on Rt. 50 - primarily a 2-lane road. It took me 2 1/2 years to find a truck in this condition, like showroom... 118,000 miles on it..

This is my 4th cross-country drive. The 1st one on Rt. 50. The Rockies are intimidating at 11,000', especially with snow. How does it perform at high altitudes?

I have no idea...Yet!

During my last trip in 2008 on Rt.90. I was driving a 1992 Lexus SC400 and got stopped in Rapid City, South Dakota. Thinking I was a drug-runner from California, they disassembled my car...door panels, spare tire, etc., then wished me a good day and let me go...Over 1 hr. later.

I'm hoping my first stop will be Ely, NV, 537 miles. Leaving early Tues, 4/16th...Following the weather forecasts. All my cable, internet, etc. are on VACATION HOLD!!!

Right now I'm using San Francisco's FREE (did you get that FLL?) internet to send this. It was set up years ago so the homeless can have internet access.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #33
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

US 50 through Colorado is really pretty. Just don't attempt Monarch pass in foul weather!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #34
joey2665

Quote:
Got a good weather radar ap and I'm driving a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4-WD, 5-speed manual, on Rt. 50 - primarily a 2-lane road. It took me 2 1/2 years to find a truck in this condition, like showroom... 118,000 miles on it..

This is my 4th cross-country drive. The 1st one on Rt. 50. The Rockies are intimidating at 11,000', especially with snow. How does it perform at high altitudes?

I have no idea...Yet!

During my last trip in 2008 on Rt.90. I was driving a 1992 Lexus SC400 and got stopped in Rapid City, South Dakota. Thinking I was a drug-runner from California, they disassembled my car...door panels, spare tire, etc., then wished me a good day and let me go...Over 1 hr. later.

I'm hoping my first stop will be Ely, NV, 537 miles. Leaving early Tues, 4/16th...Following the weather forecasts. All my cable, internet, etc. are on VACATION HOLD!!!

Right now I'm using San Francisco's FREE (did you get that FLL?) internet to send this. It was set up years ago so the homeless can have internet access.

Gary you should start a new thread to chronicle your trip across country with text and photos
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #35
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Cross country with a 5-speed manual? have you lost your mind? I need my cruise control for local trips.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #36
garysanfran

Quote:
Cross country with a 5-speed manual? have you lost your mind? I need my cruise control for local trips.
It has cruise-control, so I'll be able to take a nap.

I see some serious cruise-control around my neighborhood in San Fran. Lots of experimental driverless cars. About a week ago one stopped and waited for me to cross the street. I tried waving it on, but it wouldn't go until I was across the street. Not sure how it knew I was going to cross the street and wasn't just standing there picking my nose. It may have sensed my prior movements toward that direction...Those things are eerie, but cool.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #37
fatlazyless

North of Concord NH is cruise control country ...... south of Concord down to the Mass border, cruise is somewhat doable ...... in Massachusetts, just forget about cruise control.

And, north of Franconia Notch ..... the north country ..... is snow tire with studs country.

In my humble opinion, all automatic transmissions should be banned, and all cars must have a 5-speed stick with a clutch pedal ..... my first executive order once I'm the president! Just so you can roll a little backwards while at a red light on a slope.