Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #1

Default Lakes Region Shopping Plaza??

Had not been up to the region in over one month, and I noticed "they" were demolishing the Lakes Region shopping center on Route 3 across from Shaws and TJMax. Anyone know the current rumors as to what is going to occupy the space? Timing??

Thanks
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
HUH

Default Trees and grass would be nice

But that just wouldnt fit in with the rest of the sprawl..
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
gtxrider

Default Another place just a memory!

Sad, I remember the Star Market, OSCO, KMART....and shopping there as a kid. I guess they will develop another strip mall that will get stores from a mall that is already in business. Progress?
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Lowes is possibly coming!!

I had heard that Lowes Home Improvement was coming to Gilford near Rt11 & 3.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd
I had heard that Lowes Home Improvement was coming to Gilford near Rt11 & 3.
I think that it is a good thing! Much better than seeing vacant buildings going nowhere.... I am all for any improvement to our area, and Lowes is a quality enterprize.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Dave 35

Default Lakes Region Plaza

Only thing that has been set is that Hannaford will move from the other side of the street. Mall will be angled so that it is not parallel to the road. Time for this??
Dave 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:02 AM   #7
mousecatcher

Default Papa Gino's

I sure hope they won't be taking down Papa Gino's. They are the closest to go from Moultonborough and they have the very best pizza and sandwiches. I only wish there was one in Moultonborough.
mousecatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:33 AM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

See Citizen Article click here
and
here
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:07 AM   #9
Lady Di

Talking For what it's worth...

I agree that something new there would look much better than the empty strip that's there now. Anything like that makes an area look impoverished.

I remember many winter afternoons pushing a shopping cart with a kid in it across the parking lot in the slush....on the way home to Gilford to re-start a fire, or shovel, or...well.....you get the picture.
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:33 AM   #10
Zee

Default Lowe's?

It was my understanding that the new Lowe's was going in in Tilton, just beyond the Wal-Mart. Anyone have anything definitive on this. A Gilford Lowe's would be great considering the high prices of Gilford Home Center, the only "full" service building center around the Lake.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:48 AM   #11
HUH

Default Sprawl

We already have two strip malls with supermarkets in that area.. What is Gilford thinking ..Rebuild an already empty strip mall ..I say make them Plant trees and nothing else !!
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:07 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Cool tilton exit 20 area

What I heard is that the existing Wal-Mart at exit 20 will be turned into a Sam's Club to compete with the nearby BJ's Wholesale Club and a new Super Wal-Mart w/ food will be built up the road somewhere across from KeySpan Energy.

Didn't Irwin Marine use the old Star market & K Mart buildings for storing boats last winter?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:54 PM   #13
Paugus Bay Resident

mousecatcher,

Papa Gino's closed a few weeks back.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:39 PM   #14
Drummer Boy

Here's the scoop. Hannaford's will be building a super Hannafords across the street. Where Hannafords is now will become a Super Walmart. No news on what else goes in next to the Super Hannafords. My wife is lobbying for a Christmas Tree shop and a Marshals.

InTilton, where Wall Mart is now will become a Sam's Club and a Super Walmart will be built down on Rt 140 near Keyspan. Also coming to Tilton is a Lowe's and a Best Buy.
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #15
jpjp

Default Target too!

Tilton is getting Target too - in where Lowe's is going.

I have heard from a few people (local chatter I think) that Christmas Tree Shop is "DEFINITLEY" going in..I have no idea, but would love to know for sure! Anyone have an in at the Planning Board? I know it hasn't been in the newspaper.
jpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:07 PM   #16
Paugus Bay Resident

Haven't heard anything about a super Walmart in Gilford. Logistically, it seems like it would be a difficult project. Since we already have 2 TJX companies (Home Goods and TJs) I wouldn't think we'd get Marshalls, but who knows.

The developers for the plaza have been pretty tighted lipped with the planning board about tennants. With the exception of Hannaford and the Cinema staying (untill their lease is up) that's about all they've said.

Demo looks like it's about 1/2 done, which is an improvement in and of itself. I saw some sketches of the proposed plaza an it looks nice. Be interesting to see what goes in.

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 12-02-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:55 PM   #17
Misty Blue

Default slush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Di
I agree that something new there would look much better than the empty strip that's there now. Anything like that makes an area look impoverished.

I remember many winter afternoons pushing a shopping cart with a kid in it across the parking lot in the slush....on the way home to Gilford to re-start a fire, or shovel, or...well.....you get the picture.
Remember Lady Di: It's the snow that brings 'em here...but it is the slush that keeps 'em here! Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:38 AM   #18
Mr. V

I won't miss that place, and if the Italian joint across the street was hit by a meteor it would be no great loss.

I have had good food at the Italian Farmhouse in Plymouth, however.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 03:07 PM   #19
phoenix

anyone have ground truth as to what really is going to happen and when . heard about Lowe's and Target earlier in the year. Would be great to have something on that old K Mart site
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:31 PM   #20
pmj

Default Walmart & Christmas Tree Shop

Here's the scoop. Hannaford's will be building a super Hannafords across the street. Where Hannafords is now will become a Super Walmart. No news on what else goes in next to the Super Hannafords. My wife is lobbying for a Christmas Tree shop and a Marshals.

I am all for a new Walmart. The Gilford Walmart is the dingiest, darkeest and most crowded Walmart I have ever seen !

Drummer Boy, I am with your wife all the way on a Christmas Tree Shop !

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:52 AM   #21
phoenix

anything new on the shopping center and what is going in as well as the rumor on a new lowe's
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #22
Paugus Bay Resident

So far, what's been proposed to the planning board is Hannaford's, Staples and Lowes, with the possibility of a national chain like Chilis, Unos, etc. The main thing, in terms of timing (especially for Lowes) is the Cinema. They have a few years left on their lease. The Lowes that is being proposed is around 180,000 SF. The plan looks OK, lots of trees and landscaping. It will definitely be an improvement over what's been there for the past few years. The biggest impact for us, IMO, will be traffic. Not sure how that will play out.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #23
fatlazyless

Cool ...that's a lot of empty retail space

No sign of Trader Joe's going into the space formerly occupied by October Farm Market and before that, E M Heath's Meredith Super Market. If Trader Joe's is going in there, they certainly are keeping it a secret plus there is nothing to indicate a new tenant such a signage or any new interior construction. Also, the nearby double retail space that was formerly Parafunalia is empty as well since Parafunalia has moved to Gilford, across from the Mountain View Yacht Club. So, there are now three large empty retail space because Parafunalia was a double space.

It will be interesting to see what goes into these vacancies. The Town of Meredith appears to be a strong, growing, desirable and attractive town. Bay Village, a 55+ townhouse condo developement is very nearby. Plenty of Rout 25 traffic passes by this retail shopping center. Meredith now has a Volvo car dealer.

So, what is the right doable business piece(s) to complete this vacant retail puzzle? Maybe a pizza restaurant? Maybe a local food market? Maybe another Rite Aid to compete with the Brooks? Maybe an exercise gym? Maybe a NH Dept of Motor Vehicles office?

Any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:52 PM   #24
JL Girl

fatlazyless: I've been wondering about that plaza too. I would think a grocery store or food market would be great in there - think the only place that Meredith residents can go is Jackson Star in Province Common off 104 which I think is a good store but what about the in-town residents and the people moving into Meredith Bay Village (they could walk to it). I despair of ever having a 5 and 10 like the old Ben Franklin's. With that gone out, and the one in Tamworth and the one at Alton Circle also out as well, there just isn't a place to go that has everything 5&dime like. Waldo's or whatever its name is doesn't cut it. A good pizza place would be great!

The other place I used to wonder about was the space next to Heath's in Center Harbor when Keepsake Quilting moved down to the other side of Heath's. Now, I see that a NH Wine and Liquor Outlet is going in there. Not too happy about that - am thinking volume of traffic/parking - hopefully people park in the upper parking lot.
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #25
Nadia

Talking It's up in the air

Its up in the air. We hear all kinds of rumors, we're dying to know just the same! Seems like whatever they're doing has come to a hault for some reason. My best guess considering all the information I've come across is Hannaford will be moving across the way from us, and Wal-Mart will become a Super Wal-Mart. Its exciting to see the area growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I won't miss that place, and if the Italian joint across the street was hit by a meteor it would be no great loss.

I have had good food at the Italian Farmhouse in Plymouth, however.
LOL. May I ask what your problem is? That's the rudest, most unprofessional remark I've come across yet! Furthermore, it has nothing to do with the conversation! I'm just curious as to what the heck ails you? You act like we tried to poison you or something!
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #26
GTO

Default Meteor......????

Quote:
LOL. May I ask what your problem is? That's the rudest, most unprofessional remark I've come across yet! Furthermore, it has nothing to do with the conversation! I'm just curious as to what the heck ails you? You act like we tried to poison you or something!

Don't let it get to you Nadia. Theres one in every crowd. If they can't back up their negative statement, then its not worth responding too.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:01 AM   #27
Nadia

Default That's Alright

That's alright Mr. V...we carry good insurance. Secondly, even that pile of rubble sitting in that parking lot is worth a cool set of digits. Enough to make me a nice little nest egg for sure!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #28
Mr. V

Nadia pipes in..."May I ask what your problem is? That's the rudest, most unprofessional remark I've come across yet! Furthermore, it has nothing to do with the conversation! I'm just curious as to what the heck ails you? You act like we tried to poison you or something!"

Fair question.

The OP triggered up a repressed memory of a meal I had there once.

It was quite awful, to tell you the truth.

Thanks for asking.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:33 AM   #29
Nadia

Thumbs down Mr. V

Well than post it in the appropriate forum and back up your negative statement okay? It was rude, and ignorant--in plain English, put a sock in it. If you don't like the food, than go to the Italian Farmhouse. I don't know about Italian, but Farmhouse sounds like a good place for you. Your remark was rude and uncalled for, furthermore, OFF TOPIC. I don't believe this forum was designed to throw nasty remarks back and forth--if you have had an experience at Nadia's that you would like to share, please go to the resteraunt reviews and post there. Otherwise, read the thread topic and post relative remarks. I came in here to read about the Lakes Region Shopping Plaza, not about how somebody wishes that a meteor would hit my family business that we've worked very hard for. I apologize if your experience was unsatisfactory, yet I myself know that it is impossible to please everybody. Do yourself and everybody else a favor and get some manners.

I apologize to other posters and don't mean to disrupt the conversation, but this guy is something else.

Last edited by Nadia; 04-24-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #30
phoenix

anything new with the shopping center. seems like it has been going up forever. hopefully something will open up this spring
Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #31
Woodsy

It looks to me like they are putting the finishing touches on the Lowes... I am thinking a mid january opening!!

They are working on a second building, looks like a restaurant... not sure yet whom...

Woodsy
Old 12-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #32
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

What's going in at Waldo's/Brooks pharmacy in Meredith?....Hope we don't lose our only pharmacy in the area.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:05 PM   #33
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
It looks to me like they are putting the finishing touches on the Lowes... I am thinking a mid january opening!!
I'm pretty sure they have started training the associates!! I can't wait for the grand opening sale.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #34
Buster

Unhappy Shopping Plaza

My grandparents lived in New Hampshire and I went to college here in the early 60's partially because of the college and the rural environment. In the early '70's I moved to Mont Vernon NH and commuted to Nashua. Outside of Nashua, there were no stoplights and only one yellow flashing light at Pennichuk Square where the famous "Eat Here and Get Gas" sign stood. I moved to Alton Bay in 1989. At the time I moved, there grew 31 stoplights between Nashua and Mont Vernon. Route 101A became a hopeless congested mess of strip malls.
Alton was a sleepy small rural town and the trip to Laconia was a country drive. Then came the Hannaford mall, the Tilton mess and now more strip malls in and around the Laconia area.
When we were at Plymouth State college, we used to say "You weren't in New Hampshire until you were north of Concord." By the time I finally got to Alton Bay, we said "You weren't in New Hampshire until you were north of the notches". Now that I've seen all this congestion, all of this local money going to out-of-state chain store owners, boutiques in Meredith and flatlanders "hiking" the White mountains in flip-flops and spike heels. I'm fairly convinced the N'Hampsha ideal has gone to hell. I'm beginning to believe you're not in New Hampshire until you're north of the Connecticut Lakes. NH has become "Massachusetts-ized". All these stores bring convenience, but makes us homogenized and we lose our character, uniqueness, independence and freedom as a result. This is progress? Perhaps I'm getting old.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #35
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Buster busted the image

And rightly so. I was raised in Gilford and I have always plan on retiring in Gilford. Due to the present landscape being 'commercialized', I don't think I am wanted back in my home town. As my deceased father always say "Progress! H*ll!".
Old 12-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #36
fatlazyless

Default ...north of the Notches

Littleton NH, which for those who don't know, is accessed by Rt 93, exits 41, 42, or 43, and is an easy 45 minute and very scenic drive from exit 23 in the Lakes Region. Just a few feet away from the Ammonoosic River and its' trout habitat, the neighborhood includes a Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Hannaford's, and Lowes, plus about 20 other stores and car dealers. What used to be a grassy meadow close to the river on the north side of Littleton has become a Vermont-New Hampshire shopping mecca. Vermont only has one or two Wal-Marts in all of Vermont, and rumor has it that tax agents from Vermont patrol the parkng lot at Home Depot on the lookout for Vermont vehicles loaded up with appliances and building materials so they can be detained for the Vermont sales and use tax when they return home.

Other than Littleton's big box store area, the North Country is very rural and is still a different type of a place than 'below the notches.

Well.....hey......that new Wal-Mart Super Center in Gorham, with the two-story high ceiling, hasn't opened yet......it's 'only' under construction, but still up-north is a way rural, olde Cow Hampshire.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #37
rander7823

Default Which movie house is going?

Is that the only movie house in the local area? When we come up in the summer that is usually a safe bet when the rain comes and we don't want to wrestle people at Funspot.
You could really use a new movie theater up there.
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #38
Mickomally

Smile Theatres

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823
Is that the only movie house in the local area? When we come up in the summer that is usually a safe bet when the rain comes and we don't want to wrestle people at Funspot.
You could really use a new movie theater up there.
There are cinemas in Meredith, Gilford, Tilton/Franklin, Plymouth and the drive-in in the Weirs.
The one that was torn down was the Lakes Region Cinema 3 that was the stand-alone building where Leowes in Gilford is now.
Hope that helps!
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #39
Paugus Bay Resident

There's a very nice cinema in Gilford (8 screens), in the same plaza as the state liquor store.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #40
rander7823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
There's a very nice cinema in Gilford (8 screens), in the same plaza as the state liquor store.
Thanks PBR the Gilford one was what I was thinking about. Didn't realize that other one was still operating last summer. When we drove by looked like the bull dozers were ready to have a feast
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #41
Paugus Bay Resident

Anyone know what the building next to Lowe's is going to be? Looks like its close to being done as well. Reminds me of a Chili's, etc. I remember a unnamed "chain" restaurant being part of the original plans.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #42
Drummer Boy

It's going to ba Papa Ginos
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #43
Paugus Bay Resident

Thanks - I now remember that they would move to the new plaza. Just that the building looks a little large for just one store.

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 12-22-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #44
Lake Lady 6

Will there just be a Lowe's and Papa Gino's Pizza in the plaza? The original plan mentioned Hannaford's and maybe one or two others. Driving by it looks like there is not room left for many more buildings. Perhaps one could get a better perspective by driving through the parking lot. The return on the investment must warrant more real estate.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #45
fatlazyless

Default ...Lowe's Gilford opens January 20

On January 20, the new Lowes in Gilford will be open to customers and a grand opening will be held on Jan 25. To read the company press release, try googling Lowe's Gilford NH. At a cost of 18.5 million, with 175 employees, and over two acres retail floor space and about another one acre garden center, that's probably one of the bigger stores for Gilford.

Hey, after hearing about the Home Depot boss-man getting a 210 million dollar goodbye handshake, I'm taking my mega-purchasing power over to this new Lowes. Am I jealous.........you bet! Maybe he'll want to spend just a little bit on one of the two unsold four to five million dollar waterfront homes in Gilford at Dockham Shore and Governor's Island. 4 1/2 millon bucks and they get no afternoon sunshine......what-a-deal.....makes me feel good every time I put-put past their 'for sale' signs. No wonder no one will buy them.

Anyway, Gilford is becoming quite the shopping mecca; Wal-Mart, Lowe's and the nearby St Vincent dePaul store in Laconia.

Question of the day: The airport is, in fact, located in Gilford, so why is it called the Laconia Airport?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-05-2007 at 05:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #46
Hermit Cover

Default Laconia Airport...

FLL Perhaps the reason for the name is that on occasion one must pilot one's airplane over Laconia on approach to the runway. I think it would better serve the area if it were renamed "The Lakes Region Laconia-Gilford Regional Ronald Reagan Airport"...
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #47
phoenix

maybe then they would get commercial service to somewhere
Old 01-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #48
Aquadeziac

Default Airport

How about the Merto-Lakes Region International Airport? Gives it that worldly flair.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #49
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Question of the day: The airport is, in fact, located in Gilford, so why is it called the Laconia Airport?
... and the Providence (RI) airport is in Warwick RI.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #50
Hermit Cover

Default Airport.....

Sure....next you're gonna tell us that the Cincinnati Airport is somewhere in Kentucky.....Hah!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #51
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
I'm pretty sure they have started training the associates!! I can't wait for the grand opening sale.
A Lowes opened near me in Mass about a month ago. No real "sale" to speak of just interest free deals to use their charge card, things like that. Also, a percentage off to use their card, such a deal.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #52
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
A Lowes opened near me in Mass about a month ago. No real "sale" to speak of just interest free deals to use their charge card, things like that. Also, a percentage off to use their card, such a deal.

Yeah, sale was a bad word, I know better. I should have said I can't wait to go hang out there and spend a bunch of money.

Now?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #53
Paugus Bay Resident

You're all missing the point (on the airport). Most important - who gets the property taxes

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 01-11-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #54
fatlazyless

Default ...mega curb appeal!

I drove past the new Lowe's-Gilford today and took a good look. That is one very impressive looking Lowe's. Of all the Lowe's and Home Depot's, that I've seen, this one far and away has the best presentation-curb appeal-overall appearance as seen from the road of any Lowe's in the country. That's a big big deal for a retail store, and shouldn't be discounted.

Opening day is Jan 20......that area of Gilford will never be the same. Just my opinion.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #55
SIKSUKR

And the Manchester-Boston airport is in Londonderry.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #56
fatlazyless

Default ...Lowes-Gilford

So I drove by again yesterday and took another good look and again was impressed by the visibility and appearance of the new Lowe's as seen from my car's driver seat. This store really has good visibilty plus the parking lot slopes upward to the store, plus it is surrounded in the rear by an ampitheatre like surround of a green cut-a-away hillside. If Lowe's has any horse-sense they should consider a photo of this storefront for the cover picture of their next annual report. People like to buy with their eyes, and a picture sends a strong message, and this Lowe's looks terrific. With a garden centre on the right, indoor lumber yard on the left and the signature blue Lowe's cathedral roof in the middle, I think maybe this store will become a magnet store.

Maybe other local competitors like Gilford Home Center, Boulia-Gourrell, Wikkes, and Ashland Lumber will have better quality lumber and better quality service, especially for contractors, but Lowe's has visibility and a good location.

Where will all the customers come from? I do not know? Probably, it's another reason for more population growth in the area but what do I know?
So, how do their price and quality for a 4"X4"x8' pressure treated lumber compare with dumpster trawling at the Meredith transfer station........ho-ho-ho?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-12-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #57
michael c

Smile Meredith pharmacy/wardos ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
What's going in at Waldo's/Brooks pharmacy in Meredith?....Hope we don't lose our only pharmacy in the area.
Sam, In answer to your question I will tell you what i know and then tell you what i have been told but can't be 100 % sure.
First : I was going to open a supermarket on the site where october farms was..a few days before signing a long term lease with the wonderful people at m@#$%$#@!@tors , they sold it to Rite Aid out from under me and all my architects drawings complete with a complete face lift to the entire front of the building . I was told that rite aid has bought out the remaining 7 brooks pharmacies and as you can see if you drive by today , wardos is gone and it appears that the new pharmacy will go on the right end of the building and now where I was going in with a 13,000 foot supermarket, is now being offered for lease by a company in Mass.with a space of 22,000 sq ft available That is what i have been told .
I have just bought a new company this week and will not be going in with a market
michael c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #58
Mickomally

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
The plaza is now owned by Crosspoint Properties out of Mass.
As it stands right this very moment they are looking to lease the open square footage, and are open to offers and ideas.
Brooks pharmacy still has a little while (a few years from what I was told) on their lease, and I was told they have little intention of leaving prior to that (but who knows?).
I believe Michael Clayton is right when he said Rite Aid has purchased brooks, and he could be right that rite aid is planning on opening in part or all of the space. Perhaps they will expand the existing brooks?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #59
jerseyonbear

Default meredith market

Michael sorry to hear that you are not putting a market in where october fresh used to be in Meredith. It was so easy to shop there instead of sitting in traffic to go to jackson star or to center harbor. Plus flurries is just across the street and has jb scoops!
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #60
trfour

Quote:
"Question of the day: The airport is, in fact, located in Gilford, so why is it called the Laconia Airport?
"

About the Airport FLL, Compliments to the Weirs Times;

The first Laconia Airport, which was located between the Avid building and the Belknap County complex, (Laconia) was in use from 1935 until 1941.

Buy the way FLL,.. Thank you for helping out Island Girl, What a guy!!
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #61
fatlazyless

Default ...Lowes Gilford is the place!

Without a doubt, the new Lowe's Gilford which just opened this weekend will be the biggest thing to come to the area since the exit 21 - Laconia thru-way never got built. It borders in scale, even, to the Laconia urban renewal project of 1968! That place is so big, and has such an in-depth assortment of plumbing, electrical, hardware that window shopping this place is best limited to a one-hour visit otherwise you will get a major hardware headache.....just too much too see.
For mega-McMansion home owners who like to do-it-themself, like myself, this is a very happening store. It answers the question: why has Lowe's been outperforming Home Depot for the past three years? For my initial visit I made a major purchase of $1.24 and bought a single foot of 2" diameter flat vinyl hose in an effort to bring heat from a hair dryer to the space within the cowl of my frozen outboard motor. Hey, if it actually works, I plan on returning to Lowes and proposing they sign on as a primary sponsor for my mega 18' yacht.

Just one question: how come all the large entrance and exit signs are bilingual in english and spanish? Probably. english-french or english-french-german would be a much better fit for Gilford, NH USA. Anyway, this store has got to have a big impact on the area as a growth engine.............Lowe's.........let's all go to the Gilford Lowe's and try to see the whole place in one visit! Too much to see!

Also, the signboard out front of the Tamarack says 'opening spring 2007 - under new management.'

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-21-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #62
Joe Kerr

Smile Exit signs

Quote:
Just one question: how come all the large entrance and exit signs are bilingual in english and spanish? Probably. english-french or english-french-german would be a much better fit for Gilford, NH USA.
Fatlazyless,

Those signs are used in all their stores. They are not for the customers but for some of the employees.

That's what I understand anyway.

Nice job getting Island Girl out to her place in January.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #63
Sunrise Point

I ended up at Lowe's today after trying without luck to buy a mid range plumbing snake at Trustworthy Hardware. We didn't take the time to wander through the store (our plumbing dilemma needed immediate attention).

I did want to mention that the low-end plumbing snake at Lowes was $1.25 more expensive than an identical (same brand name too!) snake at Trustworthy. When I asked several of the staff at Lowe's about RV antifreeze, they had no idea what I was talking about. They had to find a manager to see if they carried it (they didn't).

Let's not forget about the smaller stores. Their inventory may not be as extensive as the big box stores, but they know their products and their prices are pretty competitive.

When I need hardware/paint I will always go to Trustworthy. Lowe's is my default destination.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #64
fatlazyless

Default ....Moe knows!

Yes, the Trustworthy on Union Ave in Laconia is an A-plus type of a hardware store: terrrific in-depth inventory and fair prices. I hear it has a new owner, as long time owner Mr Moe Knows has sold it........any truth to this?

Maybe I am wrong on this? There was an article in the Tuesday Jan 17 Laconia Citizen about Lowe's coming to the area that interviewed some local hardware stores and identified someone other than Moe as the owner of the Trustworthy in Laconia, 'a couple miles up the road from Lowe's.' Is there another Trustworthy nearby? Also, just because something is printed in a newspaper does not 100% guarantee it is true.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-21-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #65
Sunrise Point

Moe was there today driving a forklift. I hadn't heard that it was sold. I can't imagine the place without Moe.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #66
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point
I ended up at Lowe's today after trying without luck to buy a mid range plumbing snake at Trustworthy Hardware. We didn't take the time to wander through the store (our plumbing dilemma needed immediate attention).

I did want to mention that the low-end plumbing snake at Lowes was $1.25 more expensive than an identical (same brand name too!) snake at Trustworthy. When I asked several of the staff at Lowe's about RV antifreeze, they had no idea what I was talking about. They had to find a manager to see if they carried it (they didn't).

Let's not forget about the smaller stores. Their inventory may not be as extensive as the big box stores, but they know their products and their prices are pretty competitive.

When I need hardware/paint I will always go to Trustworthy. Lowe's is my default destination.
Most of the employees in any new store, whether a small mom and pop operation or a big box store, will have new employees who may not be familiar with the hundreds, or thousands of products available. Time and training will help them out. I have been to small stores and encountered a new employee who didn't have the answer to my question. At least these new Lowes employees asked someone to get the answer. Scariest answer in that situation is "I don't think we have that!!!!" , when they don't know and don't ask.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #67
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point

I am rather surprised that they did not have RV anti-freeze, they must have had it somewhere...I have seen it at our local store by the hitches and bungee straps/tie downs and also in the paint section near the pressure washers (for winterization).

Honestly, the store just opened an I am sure that there has to be some serious training time to get everyone up to speed on the inventory. The Lowe's in Epping is great, we also have one opening in Dover and Rochester within the next year or so. I think that some of their fixtures are a bit higher end than Home Depot, take for instance their cabinet section.

I personally will be excited not to have to drive to Tilton when I am outside the hours of Gilford Home Center. I wasted way too much time last summer going back and forth to Tilton for something stupid that I could not get at the Home Center or going there because nobody else was open.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #68
Weirs guy

The new Lowes is a magical place to be sure.

I did notice some empty shelves and the traditional "3 employees standing around talking to each other", but other then that I was happy. Its nice to have it 5 minutes up the road. I know that Home Depot (and I'm sure Lowes by default) have an extensive in-store training program that employee's either keep up with or are shown the door, so the "I don't know what that is" answers should go away over time. Most of the training material is bi-lingual though...

Now?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #69
KBoater

Default Lowes exterior of the build

We have a new Lowes here in FL. It had a “soft” opening Sat. and will have a Grande opening Thursday. I went today and did the garden section “big time”. The employees were very helpful throughout the store. If they didn’t know were it was (outside reflective tape for stairs) she kept asking someone until I had 4 people following us until we found it. (It was in the power tool section??) Part of the training is to shadow another person. This is in part why you see people standing around.
Most of the shelves were full and more stuff was arriving.

In the garden section all the plants were fresh and full. I got some beautiful flowers for my pots. I just hope I don’t kill them.

Yes some of the bathroom fixtures are of a higher quality and price than Home Depot.

The exterior of the build has a Tuscan architecture. It doesn’t look like a big box. The city put the restriction of the exterior. What does the new Gilford one look like?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #70
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
I drove past the new Lowe's-Gilford today and took a good look. That is one very impressive looking Lowe's. Of all the Lowe's and Home Depot's, that I've seen, this one far and away has the best presentation-curb appeal-overall appearance as seen from the road of any Lowe's in the country. That's a big big deal for a retail store, and shouldn't be discounted.

Opening day is Jan 20......that area of Gilford will never be the same. Just my opinion.
FLL is correct.

Visited yesterday... it does look great! Lot's of staff.. and all where very helpful. I was told that they were in a "soft open" with a Grand Opening coming soon. (PS... indoor 10" potted tropical plants for $6.98... and they are nice and healthy looking.. they have at least three less in stock after yesterday)

I'm still curious as to what is going in on the left of the Papa Ginos... looks like a footprint big enough for a supermarket, our a "Kohls" type store. The Tilton Lowes has a Kohls next to it.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #71
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
FLL is correct.
I'm still curious as to what is going in on the left of the Papa Ginos... looks like a footprint big enough for a supermarket, our a "Kohls" type store. The Tilton Lowes has a Kohls next to it.
Rumor still has it Hannafords is moving in and leaving their current place, but who knows?

Now?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #72
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We enjoy Lowes a lot but I was kind of chuckling after listening to several people who went to the opening night party.It was catered by Appleby's and they were serving mostly fast food stuff like mozzarella sticks and the staff was so overwhelmed that they were telling people it was a 20 minute wait.
The people I talked to just gave up and stopped for a pizza on the way home.My question is.......after spending $85,000,000....why go cheap on the food?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #73
fatlazyless

Default ...what a terrific store!

Well......so far, I've been to the new Lowe's-Gilford about five times and have to say.....what a terrific store! Lumber, concrete, pvc pipe, 1/6hp utilty pumps that draw just two amps, and lots of good looking, young, female sales associates in their red vests. Lowe's definately knows how to run a home improvement center.

I found one thing out the hard way. If you try to return an item which has a three prong electric plug, don't be bringing it back with the third ground prong broken off. That voids the warranty, according to one of their good looking, red vested, female sale associates.

The parking lot always has like 75-100 cars in the lot! Where are all these people coming from? That seems like a lot of cars to me for a January mid-week day. Supposedly, the big grand opening where they give away lots of free food is about one week away and the earlier free food give-away was just a warm-up.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #74
Resident 2B

Default Lowe's Parking Lot Cars

FLL,

Is it possible that the "good looking, young, female sales associates" that wear the red vests drive the cars to work!

Lots of them and lots of cars!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #75
KBoater

Talking Food

FLL
If the grand opening is like the one held in FL recently go for the food. Great hot dogs, hamburger and brats.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #76
Mickomally

I wasnooping around the new Loews today and I noticed the following:
They have the Papa Gino's signs up now, but it appears Papa Gino's is only using 1/2 of that building. Any know whats going into the other 1/2?

There is a spot to the left of the Papa Ginos that appears to be level and waiting for another construction. Anyone know what that will be.

Looking at the sinage there is 4 sign spots on the main sign. Loews, Papa Ginos, and 2 blank spots.

LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #77
The Watcher

The leveled area to the left of the Papa Gino's is the site where the new Hannaford's is supposed to be built. When the theater decided to give up the ghost, Lowes and Papa Gino's moved up their building schedule. Apparently, Hannaford is going to follow the original timetable. Probably due to lease obligations at the present location.
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #78
gtxrider

Default Pepper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B
FLL,

Is it possible that the "good looking, young, female sales associates" that wear the red vests drive the cars to work!

Lots of them and lots of cars!

R2B
Sounds like you saw Pepper...
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #79
wildwoodfam

Wink

Quote:

And the Lawrence Municipal Airport is in North Andover.

Isn't Manchester/Boston Regional partially in Londonderry?
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote