Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
On The Edge

Default Fireboats around the lake

Hi All

I have to find out where the fireboats are located around the big lake. I have place on Sleepers and need to let the insurance company know where the closest one is located.

Thanx O.T.E
On The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
codeman671

I would say either Alton Bay by the public docks or Glendale at Marine Patrol. Occasionally I have seen the Alton boat at Minge Cove but do not think it stays there.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Dave 35

Default Firreboats

Wolfeboro is almost as close as Gilford at Glendale. Marine Patrol does not fight fires-just responds for "crowd control".
Dave 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Fire Boats

Moultonboro has one they keep at the lee's mills dock. Merideth has one at the town dock near where the Mount ties up. I think there may be one in Wolfeboro.

Hope this helps.

Winnocturn
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Edge
Hi All
I have to find out where the fireboats are located around the big lake. I have place on Sleepers and need to let the insurance company know where the closest one is located.
Thanx O.T.E
You can expect the Gilford and then the Alton boats to arrive. If the situation warrants, Wolfeboro will also arrive.

Hope you never need their services; but it is nice to know they care and try their best to provide help when needed.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 35
Wolfeboro is almost as close as Gilford at Glendale. Marine Patrol does not fight fires-just responds for "crowd control".

The Gilford Fire Boat sits at the dock at Marine Patrol, I was not referring to Marine patrol themselves as firefighters. They have enough on their hands...
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Bear Islander

There is a Fire Boat at the Y-Landing Marina in Meredith.

I went through this with an insurance company several years ago. I had to convince them we had fire protection. Then the premium they wanted was astronomical. You might do better with an insurance company that has more experience with island property. The company I have now has a reasonable rate and no questions.

Incidentally they wanted to know how far was the nearest fire hydrant. I was tempted to say 30 feet because I have a working hydrant on my dock.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
playinghooky

Default Wolfeboro is the closest

Wolfeboro is 4.5 miles, glendale is 5.5 miles and Alton is 6 miles depending where you are on Sleepers.
playinghooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #9
lakershaker

Default Island Insurance

We got Allstate Insurance for our Rattlesnake place, and they had the info for fire locations in their computer. I was actually very surprised at how low the cost was - I had expected a much higher premium. It may be worthwhile to call to compare rates - Tracy at 569-0110

But I still don't understand why Alton's fireboat is all the way at the end of the bay when all of the Alton islands are in the main body of the lake....
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker
But I still don't understand why Alton's fireboat is all the way at the end of the bay when all of the Alton islands are in the main body of the lake....
.....is there a public (town) dock further up the bay somewhere ?
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #11
Island Lover

I have some experience insuring island property. Once they start asking questions its all over! They are looking for documentation as to why they are going to say no, or charge an insane rate. Save you time and money and find a different company.

Call the Avery agency in Wolfeboro. They have an underwriter that is happy to insure island property.
Island Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
.....is there a public (town) dock further up the bay somewhere ?
It is my understanding that at some time in the past the Alton fire boat was kept at Minge Cove. It is now kept next to the Mt. Washington dock in Alton Bay.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
gtxrider

Default Where do the fireman live

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker
We got Allstate Insurance for our Rattlesnake place, and they had the info for fire locations in their computer. I was actually very surprised at how low the cost was - I had expected a much higher premium. It may be worthwhile to call to compare rates - Tracy at 569-0110

The fire boat may be easier to reach for the fireman where it is docked. Anybody rememeber the Alton Bay "Duck" fireboat? There is an old picture of it somewhere in photopost.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #14
lakershaker

Default Alton Fireboat

I had heard that it was way down the bay b/c of most of the firemen live nearby, but it is much easier to drive a bit further up Rt. 11 in your pickup for the occasional fireboat call than it is for a fireboat to trudge all the way up the bay. Seems like all or most of the property in Alton Bay can be reached with a firetruck, while all of the Alton islands are about 6 miles further up the bay. I had also heard that Minge had offered a space in the past, but it was turned down by the town.

As a non-voting taxpayer, fire protection, or at least the expectation of it, is about the only service I get from the town. It would be great if they positioned the assets to be able to provide the maximum benefit!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #15
camp guy

Default Fire boat location

I am going to guess that Alton keeps its boat at the Town dock so as to be nearer the likely problem areas. Many of the buildings along either shore may be accessed more easily by fire boat than by a large fire truck. Also, another minor point with respect to who responds - the Town receiving the 'fire call', or 9-1-1 call usually has to ask other Towns to respond as extra help, under the mutual aid system. I have know people who bought a pump to provide lake water in the event of an emergency - not a particulalry safe way to go considering how quickly a fire, even a small one, can turn ugly and get out of hand. My advice - be extra careful, extra careful, make sure all electrical devices are safe, all gas devices are safe, and use really good common sense, and DO CALL 9-1-1 in the event of even the smallest problem. On a personal note, NO SMOKING goes a long way to prevent fires.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:40 AM   #16
lakershaker

Default Eki -

Sorry for this post to the forum:
Eki - I got your private message, but your email address apparently is not correct in the system. Please update and resend the PM, or resend w/ a new email address...

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #17
Eki

ooops

thanks, updated!

Eki
Eki is offline   Reply With Quote