Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #201
Little Bear

Exclamation Moron Alert!

The ice between the south side of Diamond Island and the shoreline in Gilford/West Alton (by Ames Farm area) is at best only 3 days old. I could not believe my eyes when I just saw three people on the ice in this area. One is on an ice boat, the other two on skates holding some kind of kite.

Maybe the ice is thick enough due to the cold, but I can tell you...I wouldn't be out there!
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #202
Webbsatwinni

We need to have the ice tested somehow
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-28-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #203
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
The ice between the south side of Diamond Island and the shoreline in Gilford/West Alton (by Ames Farm area) is at best only 3 days old. I could not believe my eyes when I just saw three people on the ice in this area. One is on an ice boat, the other two on skates holding some kind of kite.

Maybe the ice is thick enough due to the cold, but I can tell you...I wouldn't be out there!
While I agree that it's still a little early to be out there given the variation in freezing/thickness, I would think this extreme cold would be adding at least 1" per day if not 2" or more. Even over the course of three days there could already be 6" of ice.
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #204
Belmont Resident

Default I was wondering

How fast ice forms so I pulled this off the internet.

At a steady temperature of -10 F, a small, non-spring fed lake freezes at a rate of 1 inch every four hours.

So I guess if the temp is not as cold the lake can still build several inches per day.
So that being said there could be more then enough ice even though only 2-3 day have gone by the temp has been well below freezing all 24 hours of the day.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #205
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Still Open Water! Here's The Scoop

We came up to our home in Gilford last night. From our deck I have a complete view of the lake from Lockes Island to Diamond Island and everything in betweeen. I would post pictures but my internet service has yet to be installed and I am working off an air card which is pretty useless for pics.

The largest section of open water is still in front of Welch and it's huge! (See Below) There is another smaller section of open water between Ellacoya and the East end of Welch, very near where the deepest section of the lake is. There is another rather large open section of water in front of Lake Shore Park that extends in a Northwesterly direction. There are also a couple of small open water spots in front of the beach by ellacoya and believe it or not there is a bob house adjacent to one of these open water spots!

I have confirmed 5" of ice in front of the Glendale docks last night. I do not know yet how far out it stays safe but will find out when I am out there today.

In all the years I have fished the lake I do not remember a year where the lake froze like this. It is very dangerous and has massive variations in ice thickness and can change instantly under your feet. The bays can have as much as 14" and open water can be a couple hundred yards away.

I post these reports in the hopes people venturing out on the ice will think and constantly check for thickness as they go out and not just simply venture out aimlessly because they see others out there.

Please be safe!!

Dan
Attached Images

ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-26-2013), mcdude (01-27-2013), Pontoon Goon (01-26-2013), RLW (01-26-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #206
Belmont Resident

Default And to top that off

The next weather system comes just in time for a warm-up which means more rain instead of snow.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #207
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Belknap Point today

As reported by ishoot308 there is more open water today.

If you look at your lake charts, winds from 270to 280 degrees funnel in over a 2 mile fetch between Locke's and Governors and then hit Welch. That southeast flow of air is then deflected southward by Welch. This somewhat matches the shape of the large patch of open water.

Wind overnight was at 270:
http://classic.wunderground.com/weat...p?ID=KNHGILFO9

BTW, we on the west side of Welch often have a windy time of it.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #208
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default The Broads

This was this morning right at dawn. Large area that starts at Samoset and all the way around Lake Shore Park to Ellacoya. It was larger today than yesterday.

The good news is, the ice was "booming" it is building ice, the problem is the wind, that is breaking up hugh ice sheets that are blowing up onto LSP all across the shoreline.

Name:  Sunrise 1-26-13 #1.jpg
Views: 3684
Size:  33.8 KB
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #209
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
As reported by ishoot308 there is more open water today.

If you look at your lake charts, winds from 270to 280 degrees funnel in over a 2 mile fetch between Locke's and Governors and then hit Welch. That southeast flow of air is then deflected southward by Welch. This somewhat matches the shape of the large patch of open water.

Wind overnight was at 270:

BTW, we on the west side of Welch often have a windy time of it.
You must have been at Lincoln Park just a short time before we went by this morning. As your photos show, the area of open water to the west and south of Welch Island is quite large.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #210
bclaker

Default Volcano

Isn't the open water area where that ancient volcano is located? Maybe it's getting ready to erupt again.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #211
NHWakesurfer

I wish I had better news for ice on this side but it's wide open from long island to welch, steamboat etc. It briefly skimmed over before sunrise that was cool to see as one minute it was water than the wind stopped and it all was frozen. Now the wind is back and so is the open water and white caps.

No snow, no ice, freezing cold and wind ahhhhhhhh
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #212
Lakegeezer

Default Modis satellite picture of ice

It is a sunny saturday and the MODIS satellite picture of the day shows the area quite well.

The picture attached has labels showing Squam Lake is pretty well frozen, as is Meredith and Center Harbor bays, Moultonborough area down to the Barber pole and Alton Bay. There appears to be a lot of open water south of the northern fingers all the way to Alton Bay. Hard to believe after all these frigid days, but seems to be so.

Edit: Some of the dark areas that look like open water could be black ice that froze after the last snow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lakegeezer; 01-26-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Black ice
Lakegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #213
NYCtoLSP

Default Anyone hiking?

Hi everyone. I have a place up there in LSP but live in NYC and read your posts and check out your photos everyday. Looking forward to heading up soon for an annual girls' ice fishing weekend. I would love to see a photo from up on Lockes hill/mount major. Some friends of mine just launched their bobhouse off of LSP, and considering all the open ice it's making me nervous! He said there's 6 inches of ice there.

Last edited by NYCtoLSP; 02-01-2013 at 11:15 AM.
NYCtoLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #214
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
It is a sunny saturday and the MODIS satellite picture of the day shows the area quite well.

The picture attached has labels showing Squam Lake is pretty well frozen, as is Meredith and Center Harbor bays, Moultonborough area down to the Barber pole and Alton Bay. There appears to be a lot of open water south of the northern fingers all the way to Alton Bay. Hard to believe after all these frigid days, but seems to be so.

Here is the same image using a different color option. It high-lites the open water area of the Lake better:

photo winni_zps12faf803.jpg
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #215
Bear Island South

Default Cattle to Bear

Did any brave souls make it to Bear today via Cattle Landing?
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #216
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default Ice Report 1/26/2013

Well made it out to my camp on the NE side of Bear Island today... the LONG way. FYI for anyone looking to hop on the ice from sheps forget about it. The access point next to the docks is all blocked off and clearly they do not want anyone accessing the ice from there. Furthermore there is a some open water that stretches across beyond the docks so access isn't possible anyways.

OK so with that out and I had my sleds with me decided that the next best option was Levitt Beach. When we got there there were a bunch of folks out fishing and ice reports were the ice was only 6" thick. When we drilled a test hole by the beach it was over 12" so I'm not sure how accurate that report was. I was a bit surprised at that but decided to leave the sleds and walk from there to BI with the ice auger to drill test holes along the way. Our path took us between the mainland and the beaver islands, between Pine and 3 Mile then across to Bear. We drilled several test holes along the way. Far as the ice goes... that area had been locked up well prior to the cold snap out to Pine and 3 mile islands where the ice went from snow covered to bare ice and not just that really cool ice formations where you could see the large sheets with huge gaps of black ice that had flash froze so good some of the black ice was creepy to walk across because there were NO air bubbles at all in it. OK now for what everyone I'm sure is interested in knowing, thickness. We found the ice to be mostly to be between 10 and 12" thick, yes we measured it. Only in one spot did we find the ice to be down to 7" and it was an area where there was probably open water not that long ago as it was black and between two pressure points so it was drilled as we wanted to make darn sure we had plenty of ice under us where we couldn't determine thickness from either cracks or air bubbles. Could have easily taken the sleds out, but we played it safe and walked out cause we were the only ones out there at least on the way out. Bottom line the ice may look bad, but it's solid, safe and really hard at least along our path.

Great to be out at the camp, walked in and it was a balmy 13 degrees inside! Very cold day today and the wind was whipping real good on the way back. Long walk, got plenty of exercise. Pics to follow. Beautiful day for sure!

First pic, Beaver island on the right looking towards Pine
Second pic, looking directly at 3 mile island with Pine behind the picture taker
Third pic, looking towards the broads point of Pine on the right and Bear Island behind Pine. Great place to skate there, no snow and the ice was perfectly smooth
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (01-26-2013), SteveA (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #217
MAXUM

More pics, all taken between SE of Pine headed towards Bear.

Even though this ice looks scary, it's thick and solid. My sister took a shot standing on some very black ice - like walking on water!

Again all this stuff is a good 10" thick even though you'd think it's just a light skim layer.
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
DRH (01-26-2013), mcdude (01-27-2013), NYCtoLSP (01-27-2013), RailroadJoe (01-27-2013), Resident 2B (01-26-2013), SteveA (01-26-2013), trfour (01-27-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #218
MAXUM

Found a smelt frozen into the ice along the way, really cool ice/air formations, and finally we reached out destination!
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
DRH (01-26-2013), secondcurve (01-27-2013), SteveA (01-26-2013), trfour (01-27-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #219
MAXUM

Yes it was that cold, but well worth the trip out. That's it folks!
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #220
MAXUM

ooh I forgot one more really cool ice pic
Attached Images

Resident 2B (01-26-2013), trfour (01-27-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #221
MAXUM

I do want to post a very important disclaimer here, I'm not suggesting that everywhere on the lake is safe, we were out there drilling holes and playing it very safe while out there. If you do venture out there, you should do the same thing. Never assume that the ice is safe, always best to check. I chose my route to take carefully and even so took the time to verify it along the way especially when it started to look like there would be variations in thickness. Be safe out there!
secondcurve (01-27-2013), Winnisquamguy (01-29-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #222
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoLSP View Post
Hi everyone. I have a place up there in LSP but live in NYC and read your posts and check out your photos everyday. Looking forward to heading up soon for an annual girls' ice fishing weekend. I would love to see a photo from up on Lockes hill/mount major. Some friends of mine just launched their bobhouse off of LSP, and considering all the open ice it's making me nervous! He said there's 6 inches of ice there.
Hello, I'm in LSP also, have been since we bought it. I was done tonight taking some end of days pictures, and saw the two bobhouse off Long Beach. Lot's of open water from Big Pier all the way past Samoset.

If you look closely you can see the 2 bobhouses in this picture.: (Taken from Big Pier)

Name:  2_ice_shacks_off_long_beach_1-26-13-qpr.jpg
Views: 3278
Size:  199.4 KB
Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #223
RLW

Smile

Quote:
NYCtoLSP, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. Just stick with the forum gang and you will be kept up todate just as if you were here.

NYCtoLSP (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #224
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Alton Ice Shack..

Well some spot have plenty of ice.. Alton Ice airport is open and plenty of folks out fishing. Had to post this picture of one of the Bob Houses on the bay. Nice set-up and even has an very well named "outhouse"

Name:  alton_ice_shacks_7-qpr.jpg
Views: 3417
Size:  190.4 KB

Alton and New Durham FD was practicing water rescues.. couple of pics.
These are some tough people..!

Name:  ice_rescue_1-qpr.jpg
Views: 3532
Size:  189.7 KB

Name:  ice_rescue_2-jpg-qpr.jpg
Views: 3281
Size:  191.0 KB
Belmont Resident (01-27-2013), mcdude (01-27-2013), Pontoon Goon (01-27-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #225
ishoot308

Default Do I Have To Say It....

As I look out over the lake this morning, I am in disbelief as there is still as much open water as I mentioned in yesterdays post, so I won't post the same old pic. It also looks like there is another very large section of open water along Tuftonboro neck.

We ended up ice fishing in Saunders bay where there is 10"- 12" of solid ice at least 200 yds from shore. Not much activity beyond that.

Glendale docks had 6" at the end of the dock and quicly went to 4" about 30 yds out further. Wasn't comfortable launching the bob house there so we went to Gilford Town Beach.

Goin fishin'

Dan
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
SteveA (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #226
pitosalas

Default Newbie question

So I am on Moultonborough neck, facing west, "senter cove", in a bay flanked by Wallace island.

Don't yell at me saying "use common sense"...

Are there some good rules of thumb or ways of testing to determine that the ice is safe for walking on, say from shore to Wallace island?

Thank you!
pitosalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #227
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitosalas View Post
So I am on Moultonborough neck, facing west, "senter cove", in a bay flanked by Wallace island.

Are there some good rules of thumb or ways of testing to determine that the ice is safe for walking on, say from shore to Wallace island?

Thank you!
Buy a hand auger and start drilling as you go, look for variations in the ice color and drill those areas. Stay clear of pressure ridges.

If you see other activity stop and ask if they know the ice thickness.

I like to see at least 6-8 inches before I will venture out.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #228
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitosalas View Post

I use this phrase all the time : Common sense isn't all that common anymore.

Be careful everyone. The four fatalities on Rangeley Lake last month are still fresh in some of our minds....
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #229
Resident 2B

Unhappy This year's ice

As of now, these winds continue to keep open water in areas where it has not as yet frozen over. I expected the winds to be low to calm tonight and tomorrow night, but it now looks like they will stay up for the entire week ahead. In addition, we will warm up mid-week and get a rainy period.

For now, it looks to me like where there is open water, the likelihood of it freezing thick enough that it is safe at all this winter looks very low. There is some great ice in places, but even those areas have some variation in thickness, so be careful. If you are out on your sled at night, be completely aware of where the open water is and stay clear of these areas.

The February sun is much stronger what we have in December and most of January. It is also up longer and is higher each day. This makes it hard to keep a skim coat of ice where it forms overnight. That and the persistent winds make me think we will only have what we now have for ice this year.

Be safe!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #230
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
As of now, these winds continue to keep open water in areas where it has not as yet frozen over. I expected the winds to be low to calm tonight and tomorrow night, but it now looks like they will stay up for the entire week ahead. In addition, we will warm up mid-week and get a rainy period.

For now, it looks to me like where there is open water, the likelihood of it freezing thick enough that it is safe at all this winter looks very low. There is some great ice in places, but even those areas have some variation in thickness, so be careful. If you are out on your sled at night, be completely aware of where the open water is and stay clear of these areas.

The February sun is much stronger what we have in December and most of January. It is also up longer and is higher each day. This makes it hard to keep a skim coat of ice where it forms overnight. That and the persistent winds make me think we will only have what we now have for ice this year.

Be safe!

R2B
Great advice, the open water area off Lake Shore Park and Samoset has actually "grown" a little over the last several days. Along the shore of LSP near the property line with Samoset, the sheets of ice that have blown up onshore are 3-4" inches thick, some of them are 3-4 foot across. IMHO the wind is not going to let that part of the Broads freeze unless we get an extended period of very cold temps and no NW winds.

I will not be surprised if someone ends up in that open water with a sled. That area is always "high traffic" area because many people seem to think the close to shore ice is safer than the mid lake ice. Does anyone know if Marine patrol has any way of putting up warning signs or beacons?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #231
Dhuberty24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
As I look out over the lake this morning, I am in disbelief as there is still as much open water as I mentioned in yesterdays post, so I won't post the same old pic. It also looks like there is another very large section of open water along Tuftonboro neck.

We ended up ice fishing in Saunders bay where there is 10"- 12" of solid ice at least 200 yds from shore. Not much activity beyond that.

Glendale docks had 6" at the end of the dock and quicly went to 4" about 30 yds out further. Wasn't comfortable launching the bob house there so we went to Gilford Town Beach.

Goin fishin'

Dan
Where on tufftonboro neck we got a camp there and Havnt seen any open water?
Dhuberty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #232
Idylltimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
Did any brave souls make it to Bear today via Cattle Landing?
Walked out today just down the road from the Cattle Landing dock. Stayed a little north of the dock and walked straight across into the cove on Bear. Pretty quiet out there!
Idylltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Idylltimer For This Useful Post:
Hamiltony (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #233
Drummuse

Default Long island bridge moultonborough

Any ice looking towards nineteen mile bay / cow island from the long island bridge?? I have a cabin on cow and am hopeing to leave from harillas and hoof it over their this saturday.

Thanks alot.
Dan
Drummuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #234
Dhuberty24

Go from 19 mile bay
Old 01-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #235
Nauti Crew

Default Open spots of water near Rattlesnake

The northern tip of Rattlesnake has a couple of spots of open water. The Ice was cracking all the way out from the weight of the airboat, it is maybe 4 inches thick. Didn't venture down into the broads side.
Nauti Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #236
ishoot308

Default Cow Island Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuberty24 View Post
Where on tufftonboro neck we got a camp there and Havnt seen any open water?
After a closer look I think the open water section I was talking about is in front of Cow Island extending almost to Middle Ground Shoals and not Tuftonborough Neck. Here's a couple pics I took from my deck at 3:00 P.M. today.

The red arrow in the picture shows the area I was talking about. The other pic is zoomed in and I believe the small island on the right might be Echo island, not positive though being 7 miles across the other side of the lake.

Dan
Attached Images

Resident 2B (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #237
oldflounder

Default Let's see------It says how many lbs/ft2?

Is it ft2 or in2?
Attached Images

oldflounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #238
oldflounder

Default Here's a clue to the origin of the picture

Taken today in Moultonboro
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #239
oldflounder

How about 1 more clue
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #240
ursa minor

Default How about one more clue?

My guess is ice racing on Lee's Pond?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #241
Dhuberty24

Quote:
After a closer look I think the open water section I was talking about is in front of Cow Island extending almost to Middle Ground Shoals and not Tuftonborough Neck. Here's a couple pics I took from my deck at 3:00 P.M. today.

The red arrow in the picture shows the area I was talking about. The other pic is zoomed in and I believe the small island on the right might be Echo island, not positive though being 7 miles across the other side of the lake.

Dan
That is the little island for sale
Right outside the barbers pole. My brother was fishing in the barbers pole today on 6+inches. Looks like we are not going to venture out any further.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #242
oldflounder

Default A picture's worth a thousand words

Pictures are in this order:

1. From Wolfboro Town Docks/Brewster Beach?
2. A little more into Wolfeboro Bay
3. 19 Mile Bay
4. Center Harbor
5. Leavitt Park
6. Meredith Bay
7. Opechee Boat Ramp
8. Laconia ramps at Winnisquam
9. S. end of Winnisquam/Belknap [?] Park
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to oldflounder For This Useful Post:
bclaker (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #243
ishoot308

[QUOTE=Dhuberty24;197920]
Quote:
That is the little island for sale Right outside the barbers pole. My brother was fishing in the barbers pole today on 6+inches. Looks like we are not going to venture out any further.
Is that called "Echo Island"??

Thanks!

Dan
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #244
CampChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylltimer View Post
Walked out today just down the road from the Cattle Landing dock. Stayed a little north of the dock and walked straight across into the cove on Bear. Pretty quiet out there!
How was the ice from shep browns over to bear? Are there any reefs?

Thank you
CampChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #245
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampChaos View Post

Thank you
That ice should be good to go, however you're not going to be able to start from Sheps. The spot over by the docks down behind their second show room was all blocked off and there was open water right by the shore (as of last Saturday AM 1/26/2013) so it would be unsafe to attempt to get on there. It also looks like they are doing some work in there, big excavator is parked there with evidence of fresh tracks. It's clear to me they don't want anyone over there and for good reason if the work they are doing involves keeping the ice from setting up good there. If there are any adjacent areas you could safely get on the ice you should be fine walking out from there. I would still play it safe and drill some holes along the way, but that area was all locked up before the cold so I'd bet it's pretty solid. Just wouldn't bet my life on it! No pressure ridges could be seen out there from shore.

If you look at the pics I posted earlier, I cross over to Bear between Pine and 3 Mile islands, although the ice out there looks incredibly unsafe, it was averaging 10" all the way as we drilled holes in areas that looked really scary.

I wouldn't worry to much about this short warmup, that ice is really hard and dense. Even the gas powered auger was slow to cut through it at least where we were checking.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Hamiltony (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #246
Dhuberty24

[QUOTE=ishoot308;197925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuberty24 View Post

Thanks!

Dan
I believe it is it had a camp that burned down on it. It is a fun spot to go snorkeling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dhuberty24 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #247
codeman671

Quote:

Thanks!

Dan
http://www.islandre.com/Property.aspx?Pid=165
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #248
Just Sold

Echo Island - photo taken May 2011

Name:  Echo Island - Tuftonboro.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  116.3 KB
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #249
Idylltimer

Quote:

Thank you
I didn't cross from Shep's, no place to get onto the ice. I crossed from just north of Cattle and went straight across into the Carry on Bear. The ice was 6 to 8 inches everywhere I checked. The ice directly in front of Cattle, and south of Cattle hasn't been in as long, and I don't want to be the first on it! Plus, the bubbler is keeping it open for quite a ways around the dock.
Idylltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Idylltimer For This Useful Post:
Hamiltony (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #250
Hamiltony

Quote:
I didn't cross from Shep's, no place to get onto the ice. I crossed from just north of Cattle and went straight across into the Carry on Bear. The ice was 6 to 8 inches everywhere I checked. The ice directly in front of Cattle, and south of Cattle hasn't been in as long, and I don't want to be the first on it! Plus, the bubbler is keeping it open for quite a ways around the dock.
When you say "just north of Cattle," do you mean a few hundred feet, or over towards Black Cove/the Loon Sanctuary? My brothers and I are planning to come up at the end of February and cross over to Bear (our house is almost directly across from Cattle), and we'll almost certainly be parking at Cattle.

Also, any idea of the depth of snow on the Island? We're planning to trek up to the church, and not sure if we'll need snowshoes.
Hamiltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #251
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltony View Post
When you say "just north of Cattle," do you mean a few hundred feet, or over towards Black Cove/the Loon Sanctuary? My brothers and I are planning to come up at the end of February and cross over to Bear (our house is almost directly across from Cattle), and we'll almost certainly be parking at Cattle.

Also, any idea of the depth of snow on the Island? We're planning to trek up to the church, and not sure if we'll need snowshoes.
There is very little snow left in this area, and with temps moving towards 50 on Wednesday with heavy rain predicted it is a sure bet most if not all of it will be gone.
It is snowing now and we MAY get 2-4 but it will not last with those temps and rain.
If it is possible this winter is looking worse then last winter did.
Realistically, an awful lot can happen between now and the end of February though. Could get a blizzard!!
Hamiltony (01-29-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #252
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
There is very little snow left in this area, and with temps moving towards 50 on Wednesday with heavy rain predicted it is a sure bet most if not all of it will be gone.
It is snowing now and we MAY get 2-4 but it will not last with those temps and rain.
If it is possible this winter is looking worse then last winter did.
Realistically, an awful lot can happen between now and the end of February though. Could get a blizzard!!
Blizzard would be nice
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #253
CampChaos

Default Best way to get to bear

Quote:
I have a place on bear near the church docks and am trying to figure out the best way to get out there this season. Have my bob house and a bunch of ppl coming in for the fishing derby..anyone know how the ice is coming from gilford (gilford beacc or glendale) past timber to bear on the witches side? Any reefs that would tie me up with my 4x4 and bob house? Ice depth?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #254
Mink Islander

Default Lake access

You have a couple choices that are better than Glendale. 1). Cattle Landing. Easy access for sleds and atvs down the embankment next to the stairs to the dock. The town removes the guardrail to make that access possible. Can be tough to get up if icy though. Better and more parking is available at Shep Brown's Boat Basin but roughy two more miles to travel. Access is up past the showroom to the left of the main parking lot.

Two areas for some caution: 1) thru cattle landing be sure to stay in the middle and be aware of any ice eater action from the mainland side. There's usually some ice eater action from the boathouse on Dolly Island too. Never understood why people aim those things out. Also, there usually is an ice reef as you exit the narrows of cattle landing. No worries if on a sled or atv usually. If we get another long freeze it will be less an issue. 2). Be cautious if you're walking near the channel (beyond the channel markers) between Mark and Bear. The Bear side near that channel can be surprisingly thin. I've seen open water there in years when we don't get a foot or more of ice.

Seventeen years experience walking/snowmobiling that area.

If you see guys on the ice on the north side of Mink, drop in to say hello. I'll be out for sure this weekend and beginning Thursday before the Derby.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #255
ishoot308

Quote:
I have a place on bear near the church docks and am trying to figure out the best way to get out there this season. Have my bob house and a bunch of ppl coming in for the fishing derby..anyone know how the ice is coming from gilford (gilford beacc or glendale) past timber to bear on the witches side? Any reefs that would tie me up with my 4x4 and bob house? Ice depth?
The ice was sketchy at best this past weekend at the end of Varney Point in Saunders Bay (Gilford Beach). Only one person I saw venture out near the end of Varney point and turn around because the ice was not safe in his estimation. No way to get out there from Glendale either as it is completely unsafe as you head out towards Lockes.

I think Mink Islanders suggestion is your best bet.

Good Luck and be safe!

Dan
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #256
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
Better and more parking is available at Shep Brown's Boat Basin but roughy two more miles to travel. Access is up past the showroom to the left of the main parking lot.
Not this year, they are doing some work over there and as a result the parking lot at sheps is only partially plowed and they have setup a huge metal barge and parked an excavator there blocking access to the area next to the docks usually open for access. Not only that there was open water there last Saturday so it's not safe anyways. I suspect they are doing work down there as there is evidence of fresh tracks from that excavator. It's pretty clear they don't want anyone using that as an access point so it's cattle landing or nothing IMHO if you need to get on the ice in that general area. Just want to point that out for anyone who may be interested in using it, unless there is another access point that is usable, but not that I'm aware of.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #257
TJNed

Default Ice conditions

How is the ice looking in the channel between Governors Island and the main land over towards Boathouse Rd?
TJNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #258
WakeboardMom

It didn't look great last Sunday for Pond Hockey this coming weekend on the rinks in Meredith? Anyone...?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #259
Island Girl

Default Please post a pic, ishoot308

How does it look out there today from your webcam?

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #260
Blue Thunder

Default Today's MODIS Image

This is the image from this morning. It does show how much of the lake has at least "some" ice. Tonights rain and tomorrow's temps will change it.
Attached Images

NYCtoLSP (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #261
Massasauga

Default 1st Trip To Rattlesnake

With a little new snow on the ice to lubricate/cool the snowmobile, I just took a ride out from the Landing to my camp on Rattlesnake. The ice seems good...

The ice in front of my house in Gilford (Belknap-Pt) which locked up on Monday-1/21 now has about 8" of good solid black ice.

However, beware - the ice is still surely still unsafe (or non-existent) in many areas (e.g., around Welch, areas of the broads, etc.). Areas where ice existed before the cold snap last week are likely good, however areas where the wind kept things open are bad and now with the new snow it is very hard to see the difference.
Massasauga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Massasauga For This Useful Post:
IslandRadio (01-30-2013), TJNed (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #262
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
It didn't look great last Sunday for Pond Hockey this coming weekend on the rinks in Meredith? Anyone...?
Why do you say that? Sunday the rinks were all snowblown/shoveled and had been for a week or so.

The ice is good in Meredith Bay. As long as the ice stiffens back up after the brief warm spell (Thurs. night lows forecasted around 17 degrees) everything should go great.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (01-30-2013), WakeboardMom (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #263
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
How does it look out there today from your webcam?
Here you go...Don't let the picture fool you, that is just extremely cold and calm water with snow sitting on top of it. It is still "open water"!

Dan
Attached Images

Resident 2B (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #264
CampChaos

If you see guys on the ice on the north side of Mink, drop in to say hello. I'll be out for sure this weekend and beginning Thursday before the Derby.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the Information. Normally I go out of Sheps but have been told the area behind the showroom is under some form of construction and not accessible. I am gonna drive up this weekend and see what the deal is.

Will do!! There will be a large group of us between Bear and Meredith neck at the mouth of the channel..dark green bob house, swing in!!
The Following User Says Thank You to CampChaos For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #265
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

View the time lapse videos on Erika's Gunstock Acres Cam.
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/erikas/2/show.html
scroll down and click on "view video" beneath each daily shot
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
NYCtoLSP (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #266
TJNed

Default Save the Ice

Everyone open their refrigerators and freezers to help save the Ice!
TJNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #267
NHgirl

Default Cold

After today, tomorrow night will be back to cold- temp of 19. Hopefully no wind.
NHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #268
NHgirl

Default Ice-In

Ice in has been declared yesterday.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #269
ishoot308

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHgirl View Post
Here's Emerson's video taken yesterday which shows all the massive open water still. I don't see how he could declare "ice in" with this much open water...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUG6Z...ature=youtu.be
Slickcraft (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #270
Slickcraft

Quote:
And where would that be?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #271
DavidAE

Well, we here at Emerson Aviation were able to call "Ice In" yesterday. The hold out was at Belknap Point to Broadview Condominiums to Welch Island. This area has been stubborn to freeze and seems to be the first to come out. My theory, natural springs on the lake floor acting as bubblers much like around the docks. Be careful venturing out. I suspect that its not very thick yet and with today's and tonight's warm weather and rain won't help it any. Don't fret, normal temps back Friday.
DavidAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #272
NHgirl

Default Ice

I don't think the ice will last in the boards with the weather tonight. All I heard was ice in was declared, but who knows.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #273
Resident 2B

Quote:
I don't think the ice will last in the boards with the weather tonight. All I heard was ice in was declared, but who knows.
Based on the photo from ishoot308 posted yesterday at 1:32 PM in this thread, there is a large area of snow covered cold water that might look like ice from the air. You can see it is not ice from his photo. It is open water.

No idea how ice-in was called.

Be safe!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #274
PaugusBayFireFighter

So, is 312 days the longest stretch between ice out, March 23, and yesterday's ice in?
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #275
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Based on the photo from ishoot308 posted yesterday at 1:32 PM in this thread, there is a large area of snow covered cold water that might look like ice from the air. You can see it is not ice from his photo. It is open water.

No idea how ice-in was called.

Be safe!

R2B
And it's the same way today as well as quite a few other spots on the lake!!

Ice in...NOT!

Dan
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #276
Winnisquamguy

Quote:

Ice in...NOT!

Dan
Once ice out is declared and it refreezes does it move to the new day? Has it ever happened before?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #277
riverat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUG6Z...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #278
Belmont Resident

Quote:

Ice in...NOT!

Dan
Dan I was waiting for your comments on the subject. Given the temps have not really been cold enough to support those last areas freezing I had my reservations as well.
I guess they had to declare it at some point even if it wasn't a normal ice in.
Not sure what all this rain, and it is torrential, and wind is gonna do for things but it can't be good.
I saw the tent going up yesterday morning for the pond hockey event this weekend and was wondering why with all this wind expected would they put that up.
Maybe they left the top off, hope so because it is really blowing.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #279
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Once ice out is declared and it refreezes does it move to the new day? Has it ever happened before?
I don't see how this could ever really happen. Ice-out isn't declared until the lake is almost completely ice free (save for a few ice floes floating around or a few small coves still with some ice. By the time ice-out is declared, the water temperature has risen enough that it would take weeks of cold weather to completely re-freeze the whole lake. While some areas may skim over at night, but 10ish AM the next day, the skim is usually gone.
Merrymeeting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #280
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I agree, I don't see how this could ever happen, either.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #281
ishoot308

Default This Is Ice In??

Really??...
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #282
brk-lnt

Quote:
Really??...
I see some ice in that pic

I think they mean "there is ice, in some places".
ITD (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #283
Island Girl

Default Ice-Out

Might be time to put up the ice-out thread. Here in Central MA my yard was completely covered in snow yesterday morning. This morning, there is none left. My neighbors have a small patch or two. It is over 50 here and at the lake according to the weather channel.

The lake cams show a lot of deterioration. My hopes for getting to Rattlesnake this winter are dwindling.

Declaring ice-in, dubious at best, did not show the reality of the several open areas on the lake shown by the you-tube video.

Please stay safe

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #284
Merrymeeting

Any open areas are certainly going to break up some now. 15 minutes ago, it was relatively quiet here. Out of nowhere, the wind came up, and is now blowing as hard and consistent as I ever see it here, short of a hurricane.
Temperature 48.
Merrymeeting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #285
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Long Beach LSP..

Group of guys pulling sheds, one is already gone to under, these 2 are close to being gone Unless some one gets them real soon. In the second picture the waterside anchors are already slack.

Name:  about_to_sink_1-31-13_2-qpr.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  194.8 KB

Name:  about_to_sink_1-31-13_1-qpr.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  186.8 KB

There is more open water off LSP and Ellacoya than last weekend. I suspect Dan is correct and the spotters took slush for ice when they declared ice in.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #286
nhlover54

Default definition of "ice-out" and "ice-in"

if the definition of "ice-out" is:

"the official Lake Winnipesaukee Ice-Out is determined when the Mt. Washington can successfully navigate to all it ports of call."

then what is the definition of "ice-in"

just curious
nhlover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #287
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

You know when we were kids, that was not the definition of ice-out. I don't remember when that definintion cam about. Don't asked me how they declared ice out in the "old days", but it was not when the Mount could complete her trip.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #288
Island Girl

Default Ice-Out definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You know when we were kids, that was not the definition of ice-out. I don't remember when that definintion cam about. Don't asked me how they declared ice out in the "old days", but it was not when the Mount could complete her trip.

That is really interesting. Any other old timers with the definition? When did the current definition come into play? When did Emerson Sr. start declaring ice-out from his plane?

(we have to talk about something if we can't talk about how much fun we are having on the ice)

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #289
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I don't see how this could ever really happen. Ice-out isn't declared until the lake is almost completely ice free (save for a few ice floes floating around or a few small coves still with some ice. By the time ice-out is declared, the water temperature has risen enough that it would take weeks of cold weather to completely re-freeze the whole lake. While some areas may skim over at night, but 10ish AM the next day, the skim is usually gone.
Me thinks Mike meant, if the ice partially melts and then refreezes.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #290
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Any open areas are certainly going to break up some now. 15 minutes ago, it was relatively quiet here. Out of nowhere, the wind came up, and is now blowing as hard and consistent as I ever see it here, short of a hurricane.
Temperature 48.
It was 56 when I left for Patrician Shores, when I got back the car said 44.
Looks like the temp is dropping fast.

Island Girl, same here, yesterday the ground was covered today the ground is bare and almost all of the snowbanks are gone. This is the same from The Laconia side all the way over to Center Harbor.

I hope the ice freezes enough for them to have the pond hockey thing.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #291
Island Girl

Default Ice-out.. ice-in..ice-out

Actually something like that occured a short number of years ago. Ice-Out was declared a bit too early, and a huge floe slid back in to completely block Wolfeboro harbor for a couple of days.

By the time ice-out is near, the water temps are 39-41 degrees and too warm to refreeze more than a skim coat.

I have been on Rattlesnake to watch ice-out and it is so interesting to see the stream of water appear, then get wider and wider. Then the lake if on the move and the ice moves, often piling up on any shoreline it hits, hence the dock damage. Then overnight it can skim over, melt and begin to move again. Some years it just melts away without the shore crashing.

It is very pretty, and very exciting. Somewhere I have pictures I will try to find.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #292
PaugusBayFireFighter

Waking up this morning to bare grass with wind and rain. I took a walk around Christmas Island and drove around Paugus Bay. I can't believe how much open water there is. Paugus seemed locked in even before the arctic blast we got. I figured the rain and wind would do little more than melt the snow, but it really opened up the bay and sent some ice drifts into my dock area. The wind will be back out of the north soon so these ice slabs will recede.
The view is south toward Lakeport. You can see the ice drifting north into my docks. Working the circulators to fend off the ice assault
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #293
magicrobotmonkey

Anone near Meredith Bay? I'm heading that way in a little bit to check out the conditions. Trying to decide if I should have a booth out there this weekend for the pond hockey. If I'm going to be standing around in 6" of slush, I'm out!
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #294
MAXUM

I was hoping to get back out to my place after last weekend's epic trek out there by foot, with the ice has hard and thick as it was I didn't figure a short warmup or even a little rain wouldn't do to much, but I'm not feelin it anymore. Looking like there is just to much uncertainy. It is supposed to drop back to more seasonal temps get below freezing again, even a little bit of snow could fly but if the water on the ice doesn't get a chance to freeze a little snow on top is going to make a slushy mess and further insulate what ice is there from firming back up again. If we're going to have a bad ice year then what ice is out there better disappear fast in a couple of months!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #295
magicrobotmonkey

Checked out Meredith Bay. It's looking good! I was worried it would be slushy, but the snow is long gone, just pig puddles of water that will freeze up when it cools down tonight. I think it's gonna be a great weekend for some pond hockey!
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #296
hilltopper

Default What about the "boards"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicrobotmonkey View Post
Checked out Meredith Bay. It's looking good! I was worried it would be slushy, but the snow is long gone, just pig puddles of water that will freeze up when it cools down tonight. I think it's gonna be a great weekend for some pond hockey!
While I don't think ice is going to be an issue, each rink had small snowbanks around it to define the rink and stop errant pucks. I wonder what they're going to do now? A misguided pass on one rink could travel through ten other rinks on its way to the Weirs...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #297
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Water Temperature

Winnipesaukee Dataphone at the Lakeport Dam, 603-527-0071, reported the water temperature this morning to be at 37°.

Looking back at previous years, I think that this could be a record high for this date.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #298
NYCtoLSP

Default Welch Island cam

The welch island cam is working again on the rattlesnake webcams page. Anyone know what direction that is facing? Lockes island? Round island?
NYCtoLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #299
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
While I don't think ice is going to be an issue, each rink had small snowbanks around it to define the rink and stop errant pucks. I wonder what they're going to do now? A misguided pass on one rink could travel through ten other rinks on its way to the Weirs...
Those were almost all melted away when I drove by this morning.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #300
Slickcraft

Quote:
The welch island cam is working again on the rattlesnake webcams page. Anyone know what direction that is facing? Lockes island? Round island?
The direction appears to be variable. Often toward Belknap point and Locke's but other times toward the other side of the cove it would appear. Here you can see the location of the camera in the cove:

Here you can play the video.
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/...er/1/show.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
NYCtoLSP (02-01-2013)