Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Dickie B from HB

Default Weekend boating?

Have a question. I used to spend my summers at the lake back in the 60's. Back then alot of out of state families lived there with the dads working in the home state and coming up on weekends. As a result, there was always a lot of boats on the lake all the time all summer long.
I notice now on the cameras on this website that I see boats on the lake only on the weekends.
I know times have changed, and moms have to work too.
So is boating on Winnipesaukee primarily weekend only?
Just asking.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie B from HB View Post
Have a question. I used to spend my summers at the lake back in the 60's. Back then alot of out of state families lived there with the dads working in the home state and coming up on weekends. As a result, there was always a lot of boats on the lake all the time all summer long.
I notice now on the cameras on this website that I see boats on the lake only on the weekends.
I know times have changed, and moms have to work too.
So is boating on Winnipesaukee primarily weekend only?
Just asking.
I'm not sure if it's for the reasons you're stating, but the lake is much, much quieter during the week than during the weekend

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default New demographics

As I recall the 60's there were tons of summer (weekend) jobs for young people and when not working on weekdays, they were out boating. In the 70's and 80's, a lot of the motels went condo and the motel and family restaurants no longer offered the jobs. Even change machines at the arcades took away the "change apron" jobs. At the same time, sports in both HS and college edged into mid-August and a lot of young people had to stay at home/college to practice or not be on the teams. Notice how many more young Europeans have summer jobs here now because they can work through Labor Day.
I think there is also a lot more pressure to have a summer job that is "career oriented". Tourist trade jobs at the lake are not so much career oriented.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Young people are surfing the web now instead of the water ways.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
As I recall the 60's there were tons of summer (weekend) jobs for young people and when not working on weekdays, they were out boating. In the 70's and 80's, a lot of the motels went condo and the motel and family restaurants no longer offered the jobs. Even change machines at the arcades took away the "change apron" jobs. At the same time, sports in both HS and college edged into mid-August and a lot of young people had to stay at home/college to practice or not be on the teams. Notice how many more young Europeans have summer jobs here now because they can work through Labor Day.
I think there is also a lot more pressure to have a summer job that is "career oriented". Tourist trade jobs at the lake are not so much career oriented.
I am happy to say that my daughter is working at Trexler's on the gas dock for her third summer (she is going into her sophomore year at Stonehill) instead of a career based summer job!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
Dickie B from HB

Default Summer jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think you have a point about that. Back then I worked all summer at the lake as well as all of my friends. Career jobs they weren't!

Back then I have no memory of weekend boaters anchoring on the sandbars.
And the Braun Bay phenomenon was non-existent.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I am happy to say that my daughter is working at Trexler's on the gas dock for her third summer (she is going into her sophomore year at Stonehill) instead of a career based summer job!
Good for her. When I was a kid the summer jobs were pumping "Jenny" and "ethe"l (you have to be old for that one) and it was all guys, ($1.00/hour) We were expected to do minor mechanic stuff when nobody was at the gas dock Rare tips. Now, the gas docks are all female attended and they get great tips and they are fully staffed as far as I can tell. Big improvement.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote