Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
Lakeflier

Default Camp Treasure Island

Anyone on the forum have memories of Camp Treasure Island? It was owned and operated by the Greater Boston Girl Scout Council until the early 60's, when it closed because it was too expensive to run a camp on an island, and the fees had to be kept reasonable for all girls. The island has of course now been developed with individual cottages, though it appears that some of the old buildings are still standing, notably the Jolly Roger.

I was a camper and later a counselor at that wonderful place. As a result of a previous forum post on a different subject I connected with a woman who was a camper in the Crow's Nest unit when I was a counselor. We have since shared some memories, and were thinking there might be others out there who'd also enjoy reminiscing about those great times.

Former nickname "Kushy"
Lakeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeflier For This Useful Post:
Gee60 (07-19-2020)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
LoveLakeLife

The Lake Winnipesaukee museum has several scrapbooks from several of the island summer camps. Some go back sixty years. I'm almost positive there's at least one from a Treasure Island Girl Scout. You might enjoy browsing through them. I did. It's a good way to spend a rainy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-19-2020)
Old 07-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
onceMeg

Default Remembering TI

Hi Kushy!

Thanks for starting this thread - I look forward to seeing others join in. I was at TI for the summers of 1960-1963, as a camper. Totally Loved the place - I still remember songs and wonderful times there - climbing Mts. Major and Chocorua, sailing, wishing boats, so many tears at summer's end - - - What a joy now, all these decades later, to rediscover friendships from those days. Thank you, Internet, and this Forum! I was Meg at TI. Wish I were closer, and could check out the museum collection - - -
onceMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onceMeg For This Useful Post:
Gee60 (07-19-2020)
Old 07-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Lakeflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
The Lake Winnipesaukee museum has several scrapbooks from several of the island summer camps. Some go back sixty years. I'm almost positive there's at least one from a Treasure Island Girl Scout. You might enjoy browsing through them. I did. It's a good way to spend a rainy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Lovelakelife, I'll make a point of checking it out next time I'm over that way. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
onceMeg

Default A previous thread

There was another, interesting thread several years ago titled 'History of Treasure Island, or is it Red Head Island?'

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=1649
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
Lakeflier

The island was originally Redhead Island but I understand it was changed to Treasure Island when it became a Boy Scout camp.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
Gee60

Post Another TI Camper Remembers

I’m delighted to locate this forum again, and read others’ memories of Camp Treasure Island. I’m so grateful to onceMeg, anne154, Joan, and Lakeflier for their posts; especially to onceMeg for the TI poem! I’d forgotten the words, and am amazed she remembered it after all these years!

I spent 3 summers at TI (1959-1961). We traveled by bus from Boston, and then to TI by boat from Smith’s Point in West Alton Bay. In 1959 I was in the Trip Unit in Crow’s Nest. Bonny & Scotty were our counselors. The following two years I was in the CIT Unit in Fiddler’s Green. I think Lakeflier and I were there together as CITs. There were 12 of us in 2 cabins, and Chips was our counselor. I think I remember onceMeg, too, as a camper in Spyglass (?) in 1960.

In the trip unit we climbed Mt. Major (day trip). We canoed on Lake Winnipesaukee from island to island; visiting Stonedam, Idlewilde, Long & Cow, and even portaged from one island to another. We also spent a week camping at Peabody Slopes on Cannon Mt. and exploring the Flume Gorge at Franconia Notch. All wonderful new adventures for scouts back in those days!

As first year CITs we visited Derrybrook (in VT?) for a couple of days. I remember the song. As second year CITs we helped out for a few days at Camp Kirby for Brownie Scouts in West Townsend, MA. Both years, we taught camp crafts, knot tying, and led songs with the younger units. I still have my old handwritten TI songbook, except I typed up most of them since then.

A big highlight for first year CITs was getting our “no-jewels.” I still have mine "Gee" tucked away in a box somewhere! Those CIT years were truly formative ones for me. Like onceMeg, I found a hand-drawn map I did with all the unit locations, lists of staff members, some photos and old postcards in my TI scrapbook.

I have such fond and lasting memories of camp life at TI and all the friends I made there. I’ve often wondered where their life paths took them, and where they are now. It’s so good to find some of them here again after all these years. My TI summers remain some of the happiest months of my life, even though since then I’ve spent years in East Africa and Central America. Nothing compares to those carefree summer days on an island in a beautiful lake!
Gee60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gee60 For This Useful Post:
onceMeg (08-08-2020), thinkxingu (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #8
ApS

Red face Let's Not Bring this Up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Hey!...!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
Lakeflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee60 View Post
I’m delighted to locate this forum again, and read others’ memories of Camp Treasure Island. I’m so grateful to onceMeg, anne154, Joan, and Lakeflier for their posts; especially to onceMeg for the TI poem! I’d forgotten the words, and am amazed she remembered it after all these years!

I spent 3 summers at TI (1959-1961). We traveled by bus from Boston, and then to TI by boat from Smith’s Point in West Alton Bay. In 1959 I was in the Trip Unit in Crow’s Nest. Bonny & Scotty were our counselors. The following two years I was in the CIT Unit in Fiddler’s Green. I think Lakeflier and I were there together as CITs. There were 12 of us in 2 cabins, and Chips was our counselor. I think I remember onceMeg, too, as a camper in Spyglass (?) in 1960.

In the trip unit we climbed Mt. Major (day trip). We canoed on Lake Winnipesaukee from island to island; visiting Stonedam, Idlewilde, Long & Cow, and even portaged from one island to another. We also spent a week camping at Peabody Slopes on Cannon Mt. and exploring the Flume Gorge at Franconia Notch. All wonderful new adventures for scouts back in those days!

As first year CITs we visited Derrybrook (in VT?) for a couple of days. I remember the song. As second year CITs we helped out for a few days at Camp Kirby for Brownie Scouts in West Townsend, MA. Both years, we taught camp crafts, knot tying, and led songs with the younger units. I still have my old handwritten TI songbook, except I typed up most of them since then.

A big highlight for first year CITs was getting our “no-jewels.” I still have mine "Gee" tucked away in a box somewhere! Those CIT years were truly formative ones for me. Like onceMeg, I found a hand-drawn map I did with all the unit locations, lists of staff members, some photos and old postcards in my TI scrapbook.

I have such fond and lasting memories of camp life at TI and all the friends I made there. I’ve often wondered where their life paths took them, and where they are now. It’s so good to find some of them here again after all these years. My TI summers remain some of the happiest months of my life, even though since then I’ve spent years in East Africa and Central America. Nothing compares to those carefree summer days on an island in a beautiful lake!
Hi Gee60, We were at TI at the same time. I started at Spyglass about 1956, went to TI every summer through junior counselor at Crow’s Nest I think 1962. JJ Lavallee was head counselor. I was CIT before that, and our head counselor was Chips. My name was “Kushy,” and I too still have my K “nodule.” Wonder if we knew each other.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeflier For This Useful Post:
onceMeg (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
onceMeg

Default More memories

Gee60 and Lakeflier - I didn’t know the name for those letter nodules, but I still have my M also. And the matching silver sailboat with TI on its mainsail. As I recall, we all got them at the huge summer NH League of Craftsmen Fair. Great memories all...
Old 06-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #11
wgreeley

Hi Lakeflier. I was one of the boat pilots for Camp Treasure Island in 1961-62. I have fond memories of Merc Perf Pud served up by the kitchen staff. I think her name was Jane.

Bill Greeley
wgreeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:50 AM   #12
Island guy7

Thumbs up Camp on Treasure Island

I have lots of memories on Treasure Island since my family has owned several properties there since 1989. One of the properties has 5 old cabins in the middle of the island. Some have graffiti from the campers of the 60’s. There’s also a large sign that says Treasure Island Boatel. If anyone is in the area, who went to camp there, and wants to come back and visit, message me..
Island guy7 is offline   Reply With Quote