Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
uschisk

Default History of Mark Island?

Hello -
My 3rd grader is doing a project on a "famous NH place". Since we bought a house on Mark last summer - guess where she picked? I am hoping someone here can guide us to a resource that might give some history of Mark Island - we haven't been able to find much so far.

We appreciate any help you might be able to give! Thank you!
uschisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

You'll want to consult

The Gunstock Parish - A History of Gilford, NH
Adair D. Mulligan
available through the Thompson-Ames Historical Society in Gilford. PM me for info on how to purchase your own copy....you'll want to have one at the camp anyway!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
You'll want to consult

The Gunstock Parish - A History of Gilford, NH
Adair D. Mulligan
available through the Thompson-Ames Historical Society in Gilford. PM me for info on how to purchase your own copy....you'll want to have one at the camp anyway!

mcdude, you are something else, you're a walking librarian and always there to help people who are in need. RLW
Old 03-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

[QUOTE=uschisk;90849] we haven't been able to find much so far. QUOTE]

I found this, the King family stayed at Dochham Shore, the article also references their frequent visits to Mark Island.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...602010350/1031

Interesting to see how much has changed since this article was written.
Just Sold (03-20-2009)
Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
fatlazyless

I find it hard to believe that derogatory line was used by a lakes region lifeguard back in the summer of 1968. Probably, it's a case of creative writing as opposed to reporting by the newspaper writer. Gilford, New Hampshire was a long way north of Memphis, Tennessee
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Surprised me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
I find it hard to believe that derogatory line was used by a lakes region lifeguard back in the summer of 1968. Probably, it's a case of creative writing as opposed to reporting by the newspaper writer. Gilford, New Hampshire was a long way north of Memphis, Tennessee
I was very surprised, but it was a very different time.

Really don't want this thread to get off the poster's request for History of Mark Island.

I'm usually pretty good, (Not McDude good ) but I haven't been able to find much history on Mark Is..

Little bits here from "Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee"

http://www.lwhs.us/steam-earlysteamboats.htm

and a little in chapter 5 of Bruce Healds "Lake Winnipesaukee"

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZRt...result#PPA5,M1
Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Mark Island supposedly got its' name 'Mark" because it has a hill at its' center which has some rocky ledges and it can be used as a 'marker' when navigating as it is more elevated than the neighboring islands.

I've seen a pine tree on the top get a direct lightning strike in an August storm....now that was pretty historical (*)!

Didn't the 14th U.S. President, Attorney Franklin Pearce of Concord, NH, pen his thesis that it was ok to be against slavery in theory while at the same time to support slavery as a business necessity while taking his August vacation on Mark Island!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
uschisk

Default Thank you!

Thank you to everyone for their help! I really appreciate it - everything we found was using the resources recommended on this forum. I thought I should post the final "history of Mark Island" paragraph she came up with.

Mark Island is one of 253 islands located on Lake Winnipesaukee and is one of Gilford’s islands. Mark Island is 93 acres. It looks different from many of the other islands because it has a big hill in the middle.

The Indians cleared the top of the big hill (177 feet above the lake’s surface) and used it as a lookout. Later George Sanders bought Mark Island in 1823 for only $200.00. A Mr. Webster made a dock and a cabin in 1911. Then a little while later he built 2 other cabins, one for each of his two girls. My family’s cabin is one of those first cabins. Logging occurred on Mark Island between World War I and World War II. Two big hurricanes, one in 1938 and one in 1954, knocked most of the trees down. After the hurricane people on Mark Island built a badminton court, horseshoe pit, a croquet court, an archery range, and a pistol range. Today there are many houses, and the trees have grown back.

She titled the brochure "Mark Island, An Island Paradise" I guess she loves it as much as we do!
uschisk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uschisk For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (05-08-2009)