Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
FlyingScot

Default Buckey's--What's going on?

We've loved Buckey's in Moultonboro for years, so we were very disappointed early in the Summer when it was clear that they had been unable to hire enough good staff. After a couple of rough dinners we decided to wait until next year.

Then last night--Saturday at 6pm, when they are usually PACKED--the parking lot was half empty and their marquee pitched Karaoke (sign of desperation?). The New Woodshed was packed--so it was not that Labor Day is kids back to school, but Buckey's usually fills up first.

Any insights? Have that many others also been disappointed this year that B's is now struggling on Saturday? Please spare us the stuff that's been true for years (someplace else is better, etc) why are they struggling NOW?

Thanks
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Disappointed

We had a disappointing time there earlier this summer, when 4 of us waited for at least a half hour for our order to be taken, then waited another half hour to be served lukewarm food. Whatever the reason, we are avoiding Buckeys as there are better choices locally. It’s too bad because they are only a few minutes away. We go out during the week because it’s so crazy on weekends during the season.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
newbie (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
jr616

We've been there a bunch this summer... all staff very friendly and courteous. We had 1, ONE, day where we were told they were short staffed and it might be a wait, as a party of 6 we "got it"....but there was never a hiccup in our service or meal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
jr616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
marinewife

We tried Buckey's for the first time last weekend on Saturday 8/31 for dinner and had no issues- Our waiter, Joe, was pleasant, busy, but got our drinks, apps and mains in a reasonable time, and it turned out we ended up going back Tuesday Sept. 3rd for lunch since we were coming back from the Casual Cape store in Moultonborough. Again, had Joe as our waiter, service was fine and food was good.

We're doing our best to try as many places as possible before the winter sets in so we don't make giant drives for so-so experiences.

(Although today, I tried the C-man diner in Tilton on the way to Lowes and wasn't thrilled. Talk about a drive from Tuftonboro- but at least there was no traffic : )
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
FlyingScot

Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear others' more recent experiences have been good. I think Joe is one of the old guard, and he's always been good. I will return for another try soon. Cheers!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Givemethewholeclam

Default not so good

We had a late lunch there today. We had a very nice waitress, Tammy. The service was good but the food was very disappointing. I ordered the fried clams and the batter was very heavy and tasted of old oil.

Last edited by Givemethewholeclam; 10-27-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Givemethewholeclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:22 AM   #7
ApS

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givemethewholeclam View Post
We had a late lunch there today. We had a very nice waitress, Tammy. The service was god but the food was very disappointing. I ordered the fried clams and the batter was very heavy and tasted of old oil.
That's VERY high praise for service!
Givemethewholeclam (10-27-2019), upthesaukee (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 05:24 AM   #8
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
That's VERY high praise for service!
The devil is in the details
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wifi-1 For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-27-2019), GregW11 (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
Givemethewholeclam

Default lol

Sorry, I make a lot of typos. I usually check but was tired.. lol
Givemethewholeclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
dpg

Wife brought a few people last weekend, they were up a few nights. She was embarrassed by the service and eventual food that followed. Never experienced this in the past but did a week ago. The parking lot is usually packed driving by Friday nights I hope they don't just become a local watering hole. Hopefully they read this site.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #11
Sue Doe-Nym

Default It’s a shame

Jim Gray and son Jamie have run the place for years, and it’s been a fun place to go, grab a bite, and chat with people. It’s the first place in that location to have been successful, as far as I can recall, so it’s a shame that their business is taking a turn in the wrong direction. Can’t explain it, but hopefully they can turn things around because if not, people will gravitate toward other places. There are plenty of good restaurants around.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Predictive?

I don't get over near Buckey's too often, but when I do it's usually after having done some camp cleaning/mowing, whatever.

I would then stop in for one of their delicious cheeseburger platters- great fries, coleslaw and pickle spear (two, even, if you asked).

About two-three years ago they started substituting sliced bread and butter pickles for the spears. Maybe I was being too pickled about this change of events- but a red flag went up!

Eventually... no pickle(s) at all!!!

Hmmmmm?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote