Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default On Golden Pond - The Play - Pitman's Freightroom

If you liked the movie "On Golden Pond", you owe it to yourself to see the play. It has been presented in Laconia since July 3 and will close on August 12'th. Information at http://pitmansfreightroom.com/Performers/OnGoldenPond/OnGoldenPondPage.htm

What a treat! It is directed by the original writer, Earnest Thompson, who also plays Charlie "the mailman", and does a fantastic job. If you frequent Heath's supermarket, in Center Harbor, you may recognize those playing the leading roles of Norman and Ethel.

The venue is Pitman's Freight Room, near the rotary of downtown Laconia. This whole function hall is decorated to be the Thayer's lake house and it feels as if you are sitting in the cottage among them.

Before the show, the guy who wrote the play 34 years ago comes out to talk about its history and, at least last night, the actors stayed on stage after the play to answer questions. That part was amazing!

It feels very special to see this lakes region icon directed by the author. You can even see his Oscar award for Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium. I picked up the Oscar and wow is it heavy. The only let down is to learn that the lake he was thinking about when writing the play is actually across the border in Maine, not Squam where the film was shot.
Happy Gourmand (08-01-2012), Jonas Pilot (08-04-2012), Lakewinn1 (08-05-2012), mcdude (08-01-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Sunrise Point

Thumbs up

We went with some friends and loved it. I highly recommend it too.

Norman and Ethel were perfectly cast for the part. Billy Ray was great too. Don't miss it.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Rinkerfam

We have Katherine Hepburn to thank for the film being shot in NH. She convinced the director that it was the better choice. She also attended a town meeting that swayed the townspeople into allowing the film to be shot on Squam Lake. If you have a newer version of the DVD there is bonus material that you can watch which talks about this. There is a lot of behind the scenes stuff as well as conversations with the actors, the director and the playwright/screenplay writer.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Old Hubbard Rd

Default I 2nd this play!

A large group of friends visited Winni from Virginia and asked us if we had a interest in attending. Boy am I glad it was recommened to us. It was one of the best things we did!! All actors did a great job especially Charlie, The young Boy (blonde boy as there may be a couple that play this part) and Norman! I only wish I had brought my DVD cover for a autograph.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
A large group of friends visited Winni from Virginia and asked us if we had a interest in attending. Boy am I glad it was recommened to us. It was one of the best things we did!! All actors did a great job especially Charlie, The young Boy (blonde boy as there may be a couple that play this part) and Norman! I only wish I had brought my DVD cover for a autograph.
That's Jordan Puzzo, from Derry, and his folks have a place in Meredith. Great kid, and a great family.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Old Hubbard Rd (08-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Gatto Nero

We saw it last night and it was great. After the show Ernest Thompson hosted a Q&A that was also very interesting. I would highly recommend.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
WakeboardMom

We saw it last night; four thumbs up! The couple that play Norman and Ethel were phenomenal, and Ernest was wonderful as Charlie. We stayed for the Q & A and were very happy that we did. Ernest Thompson is a charismatic individual.

FOUR MORE PERFORMANCES! Highly recommend seeing it!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
dt5150

can you buy tix at the door, or do you have to buy them ahead of time?
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt5150 View Post
can you buy tix at the door, or do you have to buy them ahead of time?
I bought mine ahead of time; link is below. I was behind people in line who were purchasing tickets at the door.

http://ongoldenpond.org/Home_Page.html
Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
dt5150

thanks wm.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default On Golden Pond

I saw the performance in Holderness last summer (August 2011) and it was outstanding! We ladies had dinner at Walter's Basin and enjoyed the play as well as chatting with the author - Ernest Thompson - and actors for a Q&A after the play. It was the weekend of Hurricane Irene...
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote