Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default Snow Loads... they are adding up on those roofs

Just to make you all aware, at least those who may be looking on from afar - the snow depths have been adding up - not just with this storm but since the snow began to fall earlier this year. That is a pretty significant snow load on everyone's roof.

Last weekend I shoveled off my roof and while it didn't look like much up there I measured about 2.5 feet of total cover with some drifting which caused it to be a little deeper in spots, what lay under the freshly fallen snow was layer after layer of condensed snow, ice, ice pellets etc... which is not terribly surprising considering that prior the past week or so it has been snowing, icing, raining, warming up then cooling down which compacts the existing snow and saturates it then freezes. Very heavy stuff, so something to consider as we continue to get snow fall in the lakes region. Just putting it out there... if you have a roof that does not shed itself and has a flatter pitch and was not built to any kind of code per say, it may be worth the effort to get it cleared off.

That also goes for any buildings that are close to the ground, chances are the snow is packed up against the side of it which is probably not the most ideal situation if you don't have plastic siding.

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-15-2017), DBreskin (02-15-2017), KennyFromBoston (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
DesertDweller

Good advice. My friend checked on our place yesterday and we had upwards of 4 feet of snow on our back deck in certain spots. Needless to say, called my guy to have it removed but was really surprised to see how much had accumulated.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
jbolty

Especially good advice since the amount of snow has been more than "normal" the last good number of years and lots of people may have never had to consider it before.

Don't remember the name of the place but 30+ years ago an entire motel roof fell in down by winnisquam.

When I was a teen many years ago I made plenty of money clearing roofs.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default It has not been this good, If you Snowmobile since 08-09 Season!

If my memory serves my, Back in 08-09 Season we had 4 to 5 feet of snow.

There was not a house that did not have at least 4'. It was a Heavy and wet Snow plus a LOT of ICE.

We had to hire 2 men to do our roof.

There were pictures in the Paper and on TV every day of House roofs, Garages, Flat Roof Buildings, Snowmobile Trailers and more collapsed.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
trfour

Smile Metal roofs keep snow buildup Down...

Although, you still need to shovel, so you can see out of your windows, and use the doors...
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (02-16-2017)
Sponsored Links