Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
vmlite84

Default Walter's Basin So Disappointed

Felt it necessary to post our disappointed experience at Walter"s Basin today September 1st. We have been frequent visitors at the Basin for a number of years. My wife and I sat at the bar as we usually do and it must of been change of shift time, service was poor (food was great) and even when I mentioned it to the bar manager, she didn't care either. # bartenders behind bar, one was busy counting receipts to cash out, 2nd one gave us menus and left the room for like 15 minutes, 3rd just didn't even bother to come over to ask us if we would like to order food since we put the menus down a few times to try to get his attention. I remember in my past dinning experience's there talking to him about his vacation and travel experience to South America. I was so disappointed, that I have a $15 dollar gift card left over today that I plan on mailing it to the Owner/ Manager of Walters with a note stating I plan not to return, reasons why and to keep the left over gift card. FYI another couple left before our food came cause no one gave them glasses with their bottle beer and he asked twice I heard...I honestly think between the bar manager not really caring, the 3 bartenders, I won"t be back........
vmlite84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
jbolty

I can never understand why someone would have numerous good experiences at a place then after one bad one feel the need to go online and trash the place.

The internet makes it far too easy to hide I guess. Would it not have been better to get this resolved on the spot? Or call the manager the next day?
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I can never understand why someone would have numerous good experiences at a place then after one bad one feel the need to go online and trash the place.

The internet makes it far too easy to hide I guess. Would it not have been better to get this resolved on the spot? Or call the manager the next day?
I agree; it should have been handled so much better.

By the way, I guess the original poster said the food was very good, but have never heard of the place. What town is it in?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
I agree; it should have been handled so much better.

By the way, I guess the original poster said the food was very good, but have never heard of the place. What town is it in?
Holderness. It's a little far from us, but we've had good experiences when we've gone.

I also agree that it's weird having had frequented a place with positive results multiple times but slamming them for one unexceptional one.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Red apple

Quote:

Unfortunately it's just the way most people are (not picking on the original poster) Most will not post about a good experience but will post on the first bad one.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red apple For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-27-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
bumble71

Unreal! God forbid a place of business has a bad day..

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #7
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble71 View Post
Unreal! God forbid a place of business has a bad day.
Sounds more serious than just a bad day.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 PM   #8
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble71 View Post
Unreal! God forbid a place of business has a bad day..

Unreal. God forbid someone has an opinion.

Seriously people, lighten up. I've given up on most reviews here because it turns into a soapbox. Like clockwork the OP gets bashed for posting their experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Unreal. God forbid someone has an opinion.

Seriously people, lighten up. I've given up on most reviews here because it turns into a soapbox. Like clockwork the OP gets bashed for posting their experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How useful is a review of one bad experience out of many (and, let's not forget that the OP said--quickly--that the food was good!)? The best restaurants are gonna have bad days.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:52 AM   #10
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
How useful is a review of one bad experience out of many (and, let's not forget that the OP said--quickly--that the food was good!)? The best restaurants are gonna have bad days.

So therefore ALL reviews must be positive. Brilliant. How about the readers take it with a grain of salt and make their own determination. One review is just that. ONE. Why are you all criticizing the critic?

Whoever called this forum a soapbox was right on.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:06 AM   #11
winnipiseogee

Just my 2 cents but I don't think people are responding to a bad review. They are responding to the notion that after numerous good experiences a single night of slow service justifies never patronizing the restaurant again (even if the food continued to be good).

This time of year is tough for local businesses because a large percentage of the workforce just left for school. My favorite eatery just went from 12 people staffed at lunch to 2. Thats the nature of this area.

Bad reviews are wanted but I guess it would have been nice to see a review that said "Service was terrible, horrible, no good and very bad last night. But since I've had so many good experiences previously I'm going to cut them some slack and see what its like the next time..."
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #12
Duke's

We love Walter's Basin. We've always found the service at the bar to be exceptional. As was said, this is a tough time of year for restaurants. They've lost most of their help for the season. I say, give them another chance!
Duke's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #13
dickiej

It must be a terrible burden to be perfect.....
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #14
Poor Richard

OP- If you have enjoyed the place for so many other visits, have a one-on-one with the manager. Give them the chance to hear you.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #15
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Please forward the gift certificate to PO Box 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmlite84 View Post
I was so disappointed, that I have a $15 dollar gift card left over today that I plan on mailing it to the Owner/ Manager of Walters with a note stating I plan not to return, reasons why and to keep the left over gift card.
I will gratefully take the Card.

If this is acceptable I will PM you my mailing address.

WINNOCTURN

Great Fried Scollops and Salmon!!!!!!!
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #16
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Ive been there a half dozen times. The food has been hit or miss. I never had bad service there but I did have a few bad meals.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #17
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
Just my 2 cents but I don't think people are responding to a bad review. They are responding to the notion that after numerous good experiences a single night of slow service justifies never patronizing the restaurant again (even if the food continued to be good).

This time of year is tough for local businesses because a large percentage of the workforce just left for school. My favorite eatery just went from 12 people staffed at lunch to 2. Thats the nature of this area.

Bad reviews are wanted but I guess it would have been nice to see a review that said "Service was terrible, horrible, no good and very bad last night. But since I've had so many good experiences previously I'm going to cut them some slack and see what its like the next time..."
My thoughts exactly, very well said. I will throw in another 2 cents to make it worth 4 cents.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #18
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Give a little slack on service

As others have said. Many servers have left for the season and there is now a severe shortage. NH tourism is expected a record number of visitors this weekend, over 640k to the state. TBones was packed last night and obviously service was a little slow and today, Canoe has closed the downstairs table area because of lack of servers. Be patient this time of year.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #19
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
It must be a terrible burden to be perfect.....
It is, but in all fairness, I made a mistake once, I thought I had made a mistake but I was wrong.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #20
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
It is, but in all fairness, I made a mistake once, I thought I had made a mistake but I was wrong.
That is a funny joke right there!

I laughed so hard I kicked the side railings right off of my cradle the first time I heard that!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #21
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
That is a funny joke right there!

I laughed so hard I kicked the side railings right off of my cradle the first time I heard that!
Lol, and you've dated yourself in the process!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #22
Mr. V

Quote:
I made a mistake once, I thought I had made a mistake but I was wrong.
Egad, you butchered it.

It goes: "I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken."
Old 09-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #23
baygo

Quote:

I'm with you on this one. I also don't understand how one can harbor a disappointment long enough to get home to the computer to write about it. If I were in the shoes I would've just left a very poor tip and scratched a little note on a piece of paper explaining why the tip was poor. My hope would be to provide a solution to the problem so the next time I came in to enjoy the food, the service would catch up.

Of course there is a chicken or the egg to this approach. In some cases the poor service maybe consequence of previous visits when the tip was very low.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #24
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
As others have said. Many servers have left for the season and there is now a severe shortage. NH tourism is expected a record number of visitors this weekend, over 640k to the state. TBones was packed last night and obviously service was a little slow and today, Canoe has closed the downstairs table area because of lack of servers. Be patient this time of year.
It's not just a problem in the summer places. I was at a restaurant in Lexington Ma. last night and there were a lot of empty tables but there was over an hour wait because there wasn't enough help.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #25
rsmlp

Default silver lining

Is that since restaurants and other low paying jobs aren't being filled the workers are getting better higher paying jobs elsewhere. This is almost certainly the case and that is not a bad thing. Of course, if it continues restaurants will have to pay more to attract help which means we'll be paying more for a meal. Econ 101...
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #26
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Gov. Sununu wants to introduce a law that schools can't start until after Labor Day. He says that would enable people to have vacations later in August and would be good for the economy. Also kids could continue to work in the service industry. I think it's a good idea because the shortage always seems to be a problem when kids go back to school.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #27
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Gov. Sununu wants to introduce a law that schools can't start until after Labor Day. He says that would enable people to have vacations later in August and would be good for the economy. Also kids could continue to work in the service industry. I think it's a good idea because the shortage always seems to be a problem when kids go back to school.
Yes, I read this yesterday. It is an excellent idea and works very well for the resort towns on the east end of Long Island, NY. In NY the schools almost NEVER open until the Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day
Old 09-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #28
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Yes, I read this yesterday. It is an excellent idea and works very well for the resort towns on the east end of Long Island, NY. In NY the schools almost NEVER open until the Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day
I agree. I guess the issue is that towns want to have local control of their schools and not the state. Right, like they do now, huh? Between state and federal rules and regs, I don't think the towns control matters much any more.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #29
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I agree. I guess the issue is that towns want to have local control of their schools and not the state. Right, like they do now, huh? Between state and federal rules and regs, I don't think the towns control matters much any more.
In NY the towns set their school calendar but it is universal not to start before Labor Day
Old 09-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #30
thinkxingu

In my MA district, teachers report W/R for orientation/meetings and then have the long weekend before students return on the Tuesday after Labor Day.

This works great--because it's in the union document, teachers and parents can plan accordingly well ahead of time. It also gives students a sense of summer closure.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #31
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Funny how we can all have different experiences. My son would absolutely love that card too. Probably one of his favorite places to eat in the lakes region.
I remember seeing the restaurant, Walters Basin, for sale last year. Does anyone know if it changed hands?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #32
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
In my MA district, teachers report W/R for orientation/meetings and then have the long weekend before students return on the Tuesday after Labor Day.

This works great--because it's in the union document, teachers and parents can plan accordingly well ahead of time. It also gives students a sense of summer closure.

What is W/R ?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #33
thinkxingu

Quote:
What is W/R ?
Wednesday/Thursday

Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #34
baygo

Default It was very good

We just enjoyed apps and drinks at the bar. The place was busy enough for an off season Monday. The service was attentive and the food was very good. The ahi tuna ragunes were so good we had to get a second order.

If you combine Yelp, tripadvisor, Facebook, and Google you'll find Walter's rated very high in comparison to most other LR restaurants. They lived up to and perhaps exceeded the expectation.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #35
Water Camper

Default Walter's Basin

Stopped by last Thursday after visiting the Squam Lake Science Center. Found the drinks, appetizer, and service very good. Location is Great !

Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #36
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Haven’t been there lately, but...

Quote:
Anyone have an update if this place is still around. Not looking for anything fancy, part of a fishing day and was wondering if we could get away without packing a lunch.
We have driven by WB quite a few times lately, and they seem to be very busy, which says that they must be doing something right. Have no idea where they seat everyone...go ahead, give it a whirl.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #37
broguy

Default Website

https://www.waltersbasin.com/
broguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to broguy For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #38
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We have driven by WB quite a few times lately, and they seem to be very busy, which says that they must be doing something right. Have no idea where they seat everyone...go ahead, give it a whirl.
It used to be the bowling alley so it is very deep!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #39
joey2665

Quote:
Anyone have an update if this place is still around. Not looking for anything fancy, part of a fishing day and was wondering if we could get away without packing a lunch.
Went there twice last year. Food very average. Not good and not bad.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #40
garysanfran

I went twice last year and had a great table with a great view and thought both my meals were very good... and I'll return. I like their bar also.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:39 AM   #41
winnipiseogee

I eat at Walters regularly and it is a solid option. If you are looking for a to go lunch while fishing on the lake try the sandwiches at the Squam Marketplace. They have a dock you can pull up to out back. Really, really great sandwiches. Especially the turkey club and the italian.
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #42
MDoug

Default Walters

Used to be my favorite, especially Sunday brunch.

Not so good nowadays, imho.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #43
Biggd

I haven't been in a couple years because my at last visit my meal was terrible. I will try it again as I heard it has new ownership but if I don't have a good experience it will be my last.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #44
bbeerman

Had good experiences there. Went because we heard that Squam Brewing was served there. Had a solid Squam IPA at a window seat.
bbeerman is offline   Reply With Quote