Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
jelly

Default Dollar General in Moultonboro ??!!

The Moultonboro Planning Board will hold a Submission Hearing on 10/28/15 at 7pm at Moultonboro Town Hàll This is on a proposed Minor Two Lot Subdivision and a proposed Site Plan for DOLLAR GENERAL. This is to be located at 929 Whittier Hwy (across from Blake Rd) Do we really need/want this in Moultonboro Village? Please attend the meeting so that our voices can be heard!!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I sure hope not--I keep hoping Subway spontaneously combusts.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly View Post
The Moultonboro Planning Board will hold a Submission Hearing on 10/28/15 at 7pm at Moultonboro Town Hàll This is on a proposed Minor Two Lot Subdivision and a proposed Site Plan for DOLLAR GENERAL. This is to be located at 929 Whittier Hwy (across from Blake Rd) Do we really need/want this in Moultonboro Village? Please attend the meeting so that our voices can be heard!!
I understand the people who built the drawbridges and moat around Sandwich and Squam Lake will be in attendance at this meeting to solicit folks looking to build their very own economic moat along with drawbridges around Moultonborough.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
I understand the people who built the drawbridges and moat around Sandwich and Squam Lake will be in attendance at this meeting to solicit folks looking to build their very own economic moat along with drawbridges around Moultonborough.
I am VERY OK with keeping chains out of the whole lakes region--if a mom and pop discount store wants in, let's chat.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Not to Worry

Default Locals should decide

Moultonborough year round residents are the ones who should decide this issue. I understand not wanting DG but I also understand the need for affordable items that do not require a drive to Tilton and beyond.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Cobra1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
Moultonborough year round residents are the ones who should decide this issue. I understand not wanting DG but I also understand the need for affordable items that do not require a drive to Tilton and beyond.
Sorry, this attitude kind of gets to me. Just because I don't live there permanently doesn't mean my voice and opinion should be ignored. We all want what's best for Moultonborough. All property owners in Moultonborough have a stake in what happens in the town. At least let us discuss it here since we can't vote on it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobra1832 For This Useful Post:
Redwing (10-13-2015), SAMIAM (10-14-2015), VitaBene (10-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Dollar satire

There is a dollar store in Meredith -- not a long ride from Moultonborough, in the grand scheme of things.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
noreast

Don't worry, if it's not needed it'll be there for while then go away. Then someone can open a wine & cheese shop, or yoga studio, or maybe a "New Hampshire's Finest" shop. You know with candles and bee's wax and such. The unwashed masses can certainly make it to Tilton.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Rusty

I would think that the Moultonborough governing body would make sure that everyone had electricity and running water before they try to modernize the town too much.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
There is a dollar store in Meredith -- not a long ride from Moultonborough, in the grand scheme of things.
And there are many restaurants in Meredith so no need for the Woodshed. Unless of course you are one of the beautiful people and then let's only put in the things that beautiful people like. Of course keep Bucky's so once in a while you can go "slumming" and feel better about your beautiful status. With your attitude eventually you will drive out all of the little people who mow your lawn, wash your windows and clean your home. Then what do you do? ask how well that worked out for Cape Cod.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
Flylady

Default DG Expansion Plan Beware.....

They have been expanding rapidly in NH. Currently they are trying to place a store in the small village of Sanbornville just 15 miles east of Wolfeboro in the lakes region.. The problem is the proposed location is where the founding fathers homestead resides on a quaint village street. The towns people are in an uproar. There is a facebook page "No Dollar General Sanborn House". Very interesting read. It appears after 2 continuance requests and in spite of the town people objections that the developer still is moving forward. Well it takes a village and it seems this village does not want the store in their small town. Only time will tell if the planning board listens to the townspeople and turns down the application as it does not conform to current building codes and town vision statements. BTW Planning Board members are elected positions! They will listen to the voters if they are interested in reelection.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Flylady For This Useful Post:
nhboat61 (10-19-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #12
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs down Ocean State Job Lot Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Has every one forgotten the NEW Ocean State Job Lots in Meredith that will be opening soon. Do you really think they could compete with Ocean State?

Where on Blake Road are they proposing to put it???
Old 10-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #13
rsmlp

IF a DG store can be economically viable in Moultonboro-meaning people who live in and around SUPPORT it-what right does anyone have to object it? If indeed those who object are in the majority it will fail but if it thrives it will bring lower cost items more conveniently to the local neighborhood and provide jobs. This is "Live free or die", right?
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
noreast (10-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #14
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Ocean State Job Lot Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
IF a DG store can be economically viable in Moultonboro-meaning people who live in and around SUPPORT it-what right does anyone have to object it? If indeed those who object are in the majority it will fail but if it thrives it will bring lower cost items more conveniently to the local neighborhood and provide jobs. This is "Live free or die", right?
As local Business Owner had posted on his BULIT-ton Board a while ago

DON'T MASS IT UP!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
As local Business Owner had posted on his BULIT-ton Board a while ago

DON'T MASS IT UP!
If you do not wish to MASS IT UP then you will need to put a 100% building moratorium on the town for the next 50 years and then figure out how to pay for the cost creep in Municipal, school and county expenses. Anything short of this will mean a slowly increase in population and not everyone wishes to abide by the NH rule that everything must be at least an hour away from everything else.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
Lakegeezer

Default What would it take?

With the town's current rules, vision and court decisions in place, what tools are left to keep DG out, even if everyone in town says no?
Old 10-14-2015, 02:42 AM   #17
wifi

Default Nostalgia

Fifty years ago, Moultonboro was a nice, small, rural community where everyone knew everyone else. Everyone was friendly, you didn't take your life into your hands driving down the road. If someone was broken down on the side of the road, you would stop and help without any hesitation. With the massive subdivisions that have happened over the years, Moultonboro has morphed into just another suburb.

I'd be less against DG if no subdivision was involved, but once subdivided, that blight will last forever.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:24 AM   #18
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Fifty years ago, Moultonboro was a nice, small, rural community where everyone knew everyone else. Everyone was friendly, you didn't take your life into your hands driving down the road. If someone was broken down on the side of the road, you would stop and help without any hesitation. With the massive subdivisions that have happened over the years, Moultonboro has morphed into just another suburb.

I'd be less against DG if no subdivision was involved, but once subdivided, that blight will last forever.

How many people lived/ summer occupied in the area 50 years ago compared to today?

I don't want dg to open up shop since there is already like 20 of them in the Laconia Tilton Franklin area but let's get real here. With how quick the populations growing we don't live in a society where your 6 neighbors are all named Bob John Tom Sue Pam and Sally any more.. So I find it hard to believe people still try to find the tiny town (friendly) mentality up here.

The times have changed for the worse to me, helping a stranger out has turned into a "I might end up in a possible lawsuit situation."
Old 10-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #19
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
How many people lived/ summer occupied in the area 50 years ago compared to today?
Don't remember exactly, there were maybe 500 residents and a couple thousand more in the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
...So I find it hard to believe people still try to find the tiny town (friendly) mentality up here....
I wasn't trying to find anything, suburbia came to me.

Let the bashing begin.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Are you sure that the planning board in Moultonboro is APPOINTED?

I don't think the population of the area only went up a couple of thousand in the summer. I always remember people saying our area, meaning Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro always went up to 30,000 in the summer even many years ago. I don't know what it is now.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #21
Sue Doe-Nym

Moultonborough PB members are elected and have been for many years. Many towns (Meredith, I believe) appoint their PB members.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #22
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Same Issue in Barnstead

Sept 23 - Suncook Valley News

Quote:
Letter To The Editor>>
Way to go Barnstead!>>

Give up any idea of Barnstead being a charming New England town. We can look forward to The Dollar Store; a chain corporate store that sells cheap stuff much of which is produced in China. Walk right in to an overwhelming, overstocking abundance of Stuff that lacks quality in form or function. And expect it to break in a short period of time and then throw it away to our ever accumulating mass of plastic garbage that is polluting the earth.>>

We’ve lost the Barnstead Country Store. We thankfully still have Duane’s Family Farm and Market and Salty Dog Pottery on the main road, Rt 28. Both of these businesses are producing locally grown and handcrafted products along with a charming presentation of beautiful gardens and attractive old buildings. There are other unique places in our town on side roads that offer hand made, homegrown, locally produced items.>>

Why… I ask why would Barnstead allow a chain like the Dollar Store? What happened to American made? What happened to locally produced?>>

I am so disappointed in our planning board.

Teresa Taylor>>
Resident of Barnstead since 1973

Old 10-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #23
noreast

Quote:

This has been happening since the 70's in NH. when I grew up in Derry, it was a cow town. Now there's no room for a cow. I'm in my 40's so it happened fast. It's creeping north, The people who grew up like us are looking to find it again so the only way to go is north. The bedroom communities are full, the country is getting more populated (not by breeding). It's coming to a town near you.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #24
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I would think that the Moultonborough governing body would make sure that everyone had electricity and running water before they try to modernize the town too much.
I did not realize that it was any town's responsibility to ensure that they can PAY for water and/or electricity. Also, some people prefer to "live off the grid"
Old 10-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #25
Not to Worry

Default Locals should decide

Just because someone (like me) pays taxes in a town does not give them the right to vote. Local residents should and WILL BE the ones that make the determination and not a bunch of loud mouth who simply spend time in the town and that it the way it should be.

Secondly, what the heck is wrong with DG? Dunkin Doughnuts, Iriving, Aubuchon, Subway are all chains and I do not see anyone bitching about them. If the town wants it and the voters support it than great...if not I really could not care less either way but I do get a laugh at how animated some of you get over stuff like this...not to worry.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:17 AM   #26
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
Just because someone (like me) pays taxes in a town does not give them the right to vote.
Actually, that's EXACTLY what affords someone the right to vote--the reason America exists is because people believed in "no taxation without representation."

Old 10-15-2015, 04:33 AM   #27
wifi

NH is not unique in this tho, 99.99999999999999% of the other towns in the US only allow residents to vote. Maybe someone can petition Obama to sign an ... never mind... LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
noreast (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 04:42 AM   #28
fatlazyless

Default .....5 best sellers?

It seems to me that the Family Dollar alkaline batteries at the Meredith family dollar are an especially good deal. It's possible they do not have the quality of an Energizer or a Duracell, but the aaa, aa, c, a d alkalines all seem to be similar without actually doing any real tests?

There's a fairly new Dollar General store in Ashland and I've never been inside it.

Believe that Dollar General recently purchased Family Dollar.

So, what are the five top selling items at a Dollar General in New Hampshire? It does not sell newspapers, lottery tickets, coffee, beer, or milk so's what could the five top sellers be?
My guess is the number one selling item at Dollar General is the single roll of paper towels followed by liquid dish cleaning soap, alkaline batteries, candy, and maybe an el cheapo brand similar to chap-stick.

The people working at Family Dollar in Meredith always seem to be on top of the general customer service scale ..... which at first was a bit of a surprise .... but now is pretty much expected.

www.dollargeneral.com

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-16-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #29
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
This is pretty typical of Dollar General in the New England states. Usually they go into a small town, find some old house - frequently a historic old homestead that's not occupied - knock it down, and build their garish emporium of cheap "Made in China" stuff that nobody needs and if they'd think abut it, nobody wants either. Unfortunately there are enough welfare parasites in almost every town now who keep these dumps profitable.
It's crazy you say this because in Dracut, MA DG is building a new store on the site of an old homestead.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #30
stynx55

We bought our house in Moultonborough to get away from MA, along with its B.S. politics. We love being able to snowmobile, target shoot etc. While I don't live year round in Moultonborough I will in 4 years. I hope Dollar General goes some place else. YMMV
Old 10-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #31
tbonies

FLL, Based on your experience, how would you rate the single role of toilet paper that is sold? Is it soft like Charmin or does it feel like sandpaper? And is the candy come in decent size boxes that can still be smuggled into the movie theatre or are they the wimpy box sizes so prevalent now in the drugstores? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
It seems to me that the Family Dollar alkaline batteries at the Meredith family dollar are an especially good deal. It's possible they do not have the quality of an Energizer or a Duracell, but the aaa, aa, c, a d alkalines all seem to be similar without actually doing any real tests?

There's a fairly new Dollar General store in Ashland and I've never been inside it.

Believe that Dollar General recently purchased Family Dollar.

So, what are the five top selling items at a Dollar General in New Hampshire? It does not sell newspapers, lottery tickets, coffee, beer, or milk so's what could the five top sellers be?
My guess is the number one selling item at Dollar General is the single roll of paper towels followed by liquid dish cleaning soap, alkaline batteries, candy, and maybe an el cheapo brand similar to chap-stick.

The people working at Family Dollar in Meredith always seem to be on top of the general customer service scale ..... which at first was a bit of a surprise .... but now is pretty much expected.

www.dollargeneral.com
Old 10-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #32
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stynx55 View Post
We bought our house in Moultonborough to get away from MA, along with its B.S. politics. We love being able to snowmobile, target shoot etc. While I don't live year round in Moultonborough I will in 4 years. I hope Dollar General goes some place else. YMMV
Unfortunately not everyone thinks like you and brings with them all the reasons they left wherever they came from.

My parents moved us to Moultonboro in 1962 for the same reasons and over the years the place went from a sleepy town with a police force of 1 and volunteer fire department to a full blown municipality.

I guess there's no stopping changes for better or worse
Old 10-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #33
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Often ,when you're cruising through a strange town and see a Dollar General,it's soon followed by a couple of pawn shops and then a few bail bonds storefronts..........you get my drift.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #34
Winnisquamer

The world population has literally doubled since the year I was born... I'm under 30 for reference.. I'd expect to see the quiet towns get more and more busy no matter where they are.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #35
CAVU

The only real true wilderness left in the NE is northwestern Maine. By no means do I consider Moultonborough a rural area or any part the lakes region. If I had a say in it, I would likely deny the DG. The only reason I would consider it would be if it were 1) set far enough off the road that it wouldn't be very visible, except the sign of course. 2) if the outside of the building complied with local decor. for example the subway, its more like a house.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #36
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
FLL, Based on your experience, how would you rate the single role of toilet paper that is sold? Is it soft like Charmin or does it feel like sandpaper? And is the candy come in decent size boxes that can still be smuggled into the movie theatre or are they the wimpy box sizes so prevalent now in the drugstores? Thanks!
Please don't egg him on, the last thing we need to hear is how he figured out how to return TP after he used it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (10-19-2015), ishoot308 (10-18-2015), wifi (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #37
Irrigation Guy

The proposed location is directly across from the elementary school in the village section of town. No chain stores in this area.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #38
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Guy View Post
The proposed location is directly across from the elementary school in the village section of town. No chain stores in this area.
That will be great! After school the students can go get candy there. YUCK!!!
Old 10-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #39
fatlazyless

It seems like it's more the outside appearance of the Dollar General than what's sold on the inside that is disliked. Maybe the zoning board could suggest some different signs and store front appearance that blends with the Moultonborough area. Maybe copy the looks on the outside of the Moultonborough Country Store and Museum which has been there since 1783.

www.nhcountrystore.com

Probably, that faded yellow paint on the M-Boro Country Store may be called ochre color, or ochre paint, and possibly a Dollar General could do a good job of blending with period signs, and an historical color paint job. One good coat of historical paint from 1783 can change everything ...... if it's the correct color!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-20-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #40
Flylady

Default Fitting into the surroundings

They have several applications for building in small towns where there are specific requirements to "fit into the surrounding architecture." They are due to submit revised plans in Sanbornville in early November. What they actually submit will be a good indicator of their willingness to work with the local community ...time will tell!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #41
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
They have been expanding rapidly in NH. Currently they are trying to place a store in the small village of Sanbornville just 15 miles east of Wolfeboro in the lakes region.. The problem is the proposed location is where the founding fathers homestead resides on a quaint village street. The towns people are in an uproar. There is a facebook page "No Dollar General Sanborn House". Very interesting read. It appears after 2 continuance requests and in spite of the town people objections that the developer still is moving forward. Well it takes a village and it seems this village does not want the store in their small town. Only time will tell if the planning board listens to the townspeople and turns down the application as it does not conform to current building codes and town vision statements. BTW Planning Board members are elected positions! They will listen to the voters if they are interested in reelection.....
Zoning laws are just that.

What kind of a zoning board would violate the laws?

We are a country of laws. If those citizens don't like the laws they can change them.

If any business meets the laws - then they go in. Or the town gets a lawsuit.
I don't think that anyone wants a lawsuit.

Understand some folks don't want such a business. But not wanting cannot violate the zoning laws of any city or town.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Flylady (10-21-2015), Lakegeezer (10-21-2015), Redwing (10-20-2015), VitaBene (10-20-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #42
Flylady

Default Zoning Laws

You are correct Songkrai about the zoning and building codes. Can't help but wonder what DG is thinking by submitting prelim plans that do not even come close to the current codes or vision statement. (even after they were provided with some detailed information before the formal application was submitted).
Could it be that they have experienced certain towns welcoming them and waiving certain issues?
Old 10-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #43
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
You are correct Songkrai about the zoning and building codes. Can't help but wonder what DG is thinking by submitting prelim plans that do not even come close to the current codes or vision statement. (even after they were provided with some detailed information before the formal application was submitted).
Could it be that they have experienced certain towns welcoming them and waiving certain issues?
The vision statement as I understand it, is just that- the town's vision for the future. I do not believe it dictates what can be built but what they want to see built! We can't even agree on whether the town needs sidewalks let alone what can be built!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Redwing (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #44
tis

The Dunkin'Donuts in Wolfeboro was fought for two years at least. So now every time when I go by and it is packed it makes me laugh. I think that people maybe don't like change?
Old 10-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #45
wifi

I hear, thru the grapevine, that an alternate location could be next to Tedeschi's.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #46
Greene's Basin Girl

Great - That is all we need! It is so difficult to get out of Redding as it is without any new businesses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Janet (10-22-2015), woodynh (12-14-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #47
VitaBene

Quote:
I hear, thru the grapevine, that an alternate location could be next to Tedeschi's.
I thought that was supposed to be a dollar store a while back, then the chains merged.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #48
rsmlp

Honestly this is similar to people who are anti-uber. get a life. if DG is unsupported by the local population it will FAIL. Otherwise, they deserve and the people of Moultonboro deserve that they compete.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #49
thinkxingu

Get a life? So someone who doesn't want to see their community destroyed by chains and/or businesses that don't fit the culture (see Walmart destroying small-town Vermont or building on cemetery grounds) or who are against a company whose background checks miss criminals (August, 2015) don't have lives?
Old 10-23-2015, 04:53 AM   #50
pondguy

Default Nimby

Not in my back yard
Old 10-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #51
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Get a life? So someone who doesn't want to see their community destroyed by chains and/or businesses that don't fit the culture (see Walmart destroying small-town Vermont or building on cemetery grounds) or who are against a company whose background checks miss criminals (August, 2015) don't have lives?
Like Mom and Pop places even run background checks. And you cannot cite a date, you name the source.

Explain how Dunkin Donuts ruined your life again?

Very simple - if they open don't go there and if enough people follow suit they will close. If they don't follow zoning laws they cannot open. Rules are rules, you don't get to pick and choose who the rules apply to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Redwing (10-24-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #52
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Like Mom and Pop places even run background checks. And you cannot cite a date, you name the source.

Very simple - if they open don't go there and if enough people follow suit they will close. If they don't follow zoning laws they cannot open. Rules are rules, you don't get to pick and choose who the rules apply to.
But but but, I paid a lot of money for "MY" lakefront property and therefore I get a bigger say . Besides I have a bigger boat than you do so there!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #53
thinkxingu

Quote:

Not thrilled with DD, either--would much rather places like The Cup and Crumb. And of course I can cite a date--use your Google skills and search "August Uber background checks," and you'll find all the sources you need. Sorry I assumed you know how to find information.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:46 AM   #54
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
But but but, I paid a lot of money for "MY" lakefront property and therefore I get a bigger say . Besides I have a bigger boat than you do so there!
There is a lot wrong with this statement. If someone bought lakefront property then it is THEIRS, not everybody else s. If they bought a bigger boat, then it is THEIR monthly payment, not YOURS, The only ones with a bigger say are the ones that make the most noise (and I'm NOT pointing anyone out)

Last edited by wifi; 10-24-2015 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Try to make it seem politer
Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #55
Bigstan

Quote:
There is a lot wrong with this statement. If someone bought lakefront property then it is THEIRS, not everybody else s. If they bought a bigger boat, then it is THEIR monthly payment, not YOURS, The only ones with a bigger say are the ones that make the most noise (and I'm NOT pointing anyone out)
I think his post was made in jest
Old 10-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #56
KPW

Quote:
And of course I can cite a date--use your Google skills and search "August Uber background checks," and you'll find all the sources you need. Sorry I assumed you know how to find information.

You should first provide the information to google before you post a derogatory remark about someones computer search skills!! - criminal background check August 2015 is not quite enough info.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #57
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
You should first provide the information to google before you post a derogatory remark about someones computer search skills!! - criminal background check August 2015 is not quite enough info.
The comment I responded to referred to Uber. I guess I take too much for granted here.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #58
ApS

Post Wolfeboro Moved Its "Downtown"...

Wolfeboro's new Rite Aid "retired" two locally-owned pharmacy businesses downtown. A family pharmacy replaced those two as competitors, but you have to drive to that new store. For me, "downtown" has moved—where I meet-up again with old friends.

Wolfeboro once had a Ben Franklin store—which I recall, was received by Wolfeboro residents without complaint. Ben Franklin stores' originator collected other "Dollar" franchises and became Dollar Tree. (Among 4000 other outlets).

Speaking of batteries, they carry a "low-draw" application, for seasonal smoke detectors (2 @ $1) and seasonally-used clocks. (4 @ $1). At one time, you could buy as many solar-powered pathway lamps as you wanted for $1 each. (Peek inside, and you'll see a rechargeable battery).

At a time with 94 million Americans not working, shunning Dollar Stores in "vacation" regions seems misdirected.

Quote:
In November 2010, Dollar Tree announced that it had acquired 86 Canadian Dollar Giant Stores based in Vancouver, British Columbia. The stores are operated in British Columbia, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and Saskatchewan. These are the first retail locations outside of the United States operated by Dollar Tree.[15]
Canada has Dollar stores. 'Seems like we could do the same, eh?

Quote:
"...Explain how Dunkin Donuts ruined your life again...?"
I've been only once to Wolfeboro's Dunkin Donuts , but Dunkin Donuts found me. Did you know they provide "recyclable" breakfast trays? Several were discarded along our dusty roadside during the three years a "spec-built" McMansion went up near us.

Maybe they haven't found the rest of us yet?

Old 10-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #59
Bigstan

Quote:
The comment I responded to referred to Uber. I guess I take too much for granted here.

Completely extraneous, Uber and background checks have nothing to do with a dollar store. Nor do pawn shops and bail bondsmen (where is there one of those again?).

Again, laws and rules are laws and rules, you live within them. You don't have to like it, and you don't have to patronize.

I hope they don't get permission, but if they do it's not the end of the world.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #60
tummyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Great - That is all we need! It is so difficult to get out of Redding as it is without any new businesses.
Indeed, Redding Lane and RT25 were to be fixed as part of a 2008 Road presentation by the State (see presentation on the Moultonborough web site). I for one will INSIST, if a location next to Tedeschi's becomes an option, that the Planning Board and BOS insist, as part of any Order of Conditions, that Dollar General make AND pay for ALL improvements to Redding Lane / RT25 in the vicinity that were part of the prior study as well as any new ideas we can come up with (traffic light, street lights, turning lanes, redesigned lane configurations, site line changes, property takings for improvements, etc. etc.) before any future occupancy. There is more than one way to fix the problems.... I hope others will stand with me !
Old 10-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #61
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Indeed, Redding Lane and RT25 were to be fixed as part of a 2008 Road presentation by the State (see presentation on the Moultonborough web site). I for one will INSIST, if a location next to Tedeschi's becomes an option, that the Planning Board and BOS insist, as part of any Order of Conditions, that Dollar General make AND pay for ALL improvements to Redding Lane / RT25 in the vicinity that were part of the prior study as well as any new ideas we can come up with (traffic light, street lights, turning lanes, redesigned lane configurations, site line changes, property takings for improvements, etc. etc.) before any future occupancy. There is more than one way to fix the problems.... I hope others will stand with me !
I am not sure where they would plan on entering that site unless it was at Tedeschis. We had a tough time moving the snowmobile crossing to where it is now (almost at the church) due to required site lines.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #62
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
I will definitely stand with you. It is so difficult to get out to RT25 from Redding Lane at the present time. A Dollar General would almost make it impossible to get out on the main road.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #63
Lakegeezer

Default It is open

Looks better than most, on the outside.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #64
fatlazyless

Like, why in the world would one want to go to Dollar General, when one can go to Wal-Mart, or to Family Dollar, which has low prices on Family Dollar brand alkaline batteries..... size D-C-AA-AAA ..... but not the square 9v smoke alarm battery.

A new Dollar General is under construction in Campton, on what was a totally un-developed commercial lot, perched above the Mad River, about one mile east of Exit-28, on Rt 49, close to the Mad River Tavern.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #65
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

We all know who the expert on cheap is on this forum.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #66
songkrai

Quote:
I agree.

But let's not make just NEW businesses.
Let's make the Village Kitchen pay.
Laconia Savings bank (BNH) pay.
Murphy's General store pay.
The Country Store pay.
The United Methodist Church pay.
The doctors office pay.
Mark Richter's pay.
Dunkin Donuts pay.
The car wash.
Keepsake Quilting pay.
Cruzcon pay.
And many more.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #67
VitaBene

If DG fails there, it will become the new Moultonborough rec center. It looks pretty good overall.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #68
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
If DG fails there, it will become the new Moultonborough rec center. It looks pretty good overall.
You have a good point, Vita!!
Old 05-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #69
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Like, why in the world would one want to go to Dollar General, when one can go to Wal-Mart, or to Family Dollar, which has low prices on Family Dollar brand alkaline batteries..... size D-C-AA-AAA ..... but not the square 9v smoke alarm battery.

A new Dollar General is under construction in Campton, on what was a totally un-developed commercial lot, perched above the Mad River, about one mile east of Exit-28, on Rt 49, close to the Mad River Tavern.
You're living in the dark ages. It's all about Amazon and other i-retailers. Just look at AMZN Vs retail stocks. This is 2017 and brick and mortar shopping is on the way out. Resistance is futile. They are the BORG!
Old 05-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #70
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
You're living in the dark ages. It's all about Amazon and other i-retailers. Just look at AMZN Vs retail stocks. This is 2017 and brick and mortar shopping is on the way out. Resistance is futile. They are the BORG!

I respectfully disagree. I am involved in commercial real estate with several major national tenants. E Commerce only makes up 10% of a brick and mortar companies sales and traditional retailers have seen an up tick the past two years in sales. Brick and mortar are far from dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #71
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I am involved in commercial real estate with several major national tenants. E Commerce only makes up 10% of a brick and mortar companies sales and traditional retailers have seen an up tick the past two years in sales. Brick and mortar are far from dead.

Dead? Of course not. They just don't realize they're on life support is all.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #72
joey2665

Quote:
Dead? Of course not. They just don't realize they're on life support is all.

You are completely incorrect. I have been involved in commercial real estate for 30 years and it is as strong as ever. Please do not opine about what your are just guessing about and not experienced.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #73
rsmlp

Quote:
You are completely incorrect. I have been involved in commercial real estate for 30 years and it is as strong as ever. Please do not opine about what your are just guessing about and not experienced.

And don't be so arrogant as to tell me what to opine on! I am a VERY experienced retired investment pro and I KNOW trends. The long term trend of brick and mortar is downhill. Period. Just look at the stock prices of Sears, Macy's, Dicks Sporting Goods etc...the list is long.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #74
Sue Doe-Nym

When is the official opening or is it already open?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #75
LakeTimes

Quote:

I'm surprised someone in commercial real estate would have that opinion. Yes 'commerical' is more than retail (and I really hope that's where your stance is coming from). I think most in commercial real estate would say that brick and mortar retail is struggling, but there are other sectors that are thriving - non chain restaurants, cafe's, apartment and condo complex's etc. etc.

I'm in tech and work with some of the world largest retailers on a daily basis who are built on a brick and mortar model. Retail brick and mortar is not slowly but QUICKLY dying. There's a reason Staples is about to go completely private (most likely bought by private equity) as they have lost the race to amazon in online retail as they know their store's days are numbered. There's a reason Nordstrom is struggling and moving to an app-based model with an online wardrobe assistant that will take all of your measurements and mail you a box weekly with various outfits for you to try. Keep what you like and mail back what you dont' all on their dime. Only pay for what you keep (yes expensive which is why i dont' do it, but my point is the buying and consumer models are changing quickly). Brick and Mortar Retail I'm sure will alway exist, just get cut by 75+% over the next several years... I could go on with countless examples similar to those.

It's the old "adapt or die" quote or now "innovate or die" approach for companies. If you're not a software company, you wont survive and you've already lost - doesn't mean you sell software, but that you heavily rely on software, analytics (software), artificial intelligence (software) and machine learning (software) etc. to run your business, reach your customers, and make sure you are constantly innovating ahead of your competitors. You don't want to get 'Kodak'd' where you own the entire photo market, and think a digital camera will never take market share from you because you think you are just too big and own too much of the market...

And if you still think I'm crazy, check out the attachment that compares brick and mortar companies revenues of some of the world's largest and most reputable retailers from 2006 to 2016 in the attached.

Link for Staples in case someone was interested:
https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...s-just-in-time
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #76
joey2665

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if they do not know that facts or just place analysis on stock prices. I am currently on the inside track with many major retailers and there sales and real estate management department will absolutely disagree with both your assessments. If they are in such trouble why are they renewing their leases with large built in escalations and not renegotiating for reduced rent or escalations. My knowledge is national not regional.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #77
rsmlp

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if they do not know that facts or just place analysis on stock prices. I am currently on the inside track with many major retailers and there sales and real estate management department will absolutely disagree with both your assessments. If they are in such trouble why are they renewing their leases with large built in escalations and not renegotiating for reduced rent or escalations. My knowledge is national not regional.

Seriously?! Because they're run by professional managers and NOT owners! They have no skin in the game! What the hell are they going to do? Roll up and give up? NO. They build knowing that it's futile. Damn people, really?? Wake up to the 21st century or get rolled over.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #78
CAVU

Stores? What are those things?? I will take Amazon prime and free shipping please
Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #79
wifi

Default uuuummmmm

Not big enough for a town pool, this is a town that has the most waterfront of any town on the biggest lake in NH......Fool's Folly...

What selectman's name would the new building carry ?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #80
kawishiwi

Default Dinosaurs can only do what they know...

Quote:

I work in tech. and one company I worked for had a different division that was still investing in microfiche business in 2005. Thats what they knew. They talked of making money in a declining sector by dominating the declining sector... They kept pushing money in until there was nothing more to make.

As an aside, the only constant is change, but the pace of change thats coming is gonna be at neck snapping speed.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:30 AM   #81
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Looks better than most, on the outside.
The store is not allowed to put up any signs stating that they are open or closed. The store is also not allowed to put anything outside (even a freezer where you can buy ice cubes). These restrictions are from the town. The store is opened from 8am-10pm seven days a week. I have seen many students crossing over to the store from the two schools. There is a cross walk, but I worry about one of the students getting struck by a car.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #82
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
Stores? What are those things?? I will take Amazon prime and free shipping please
Amen brother. I LIVE on Amazon prime.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #83
Biggd

Quote:

You might as well use those large signed leases as toilet paper when those companies go out of business. Anyone who doesn't see that E-commerce is a threat to take away a huge percentage of business from bricks & mortar stores has their head in the sand.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #84
longislander

Wink

Different markets attract different customers. The markets decide success or failure. These stores seem to be popping-up everywhere.

Personally, Amazon is our household favorite. With delivery to the house, from either the Amazon Nashua warehouse, other warehouses, or third party shippers, it's great convenience.

UPS and USPS partnering to deliver, is a win-win for all.

Regarding this store becoming the MoBo gym ... it could be called the Ship-to-Shore or Ship-to-MoBo!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #85
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You might as well use those large signed leases as toilet paper when those companies go out of business. Anyone who doesn't see that E-commerce is a threat to take away a huge percentage of business from bricks & mortar stores has their head in the sand.
Of course you are talking from experience in the industry correct? Not just merely as a consumer? E Commerce is 10% of the market and leveling off. Consumers even younger ones still like the shopping experience and to see and touch what they are buying. My information is from market research not just guessing or an opinion but facts. Yes myself and my clients take that toilet paper to the bank on the first of the month every month and magically the bank turns it into cash.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #86
thinkxingu

I was disheartened to hear that Eastern Mountain Sports' parent company was shutting a bunch of stores--if my local shop, Nashua, closed I would've had to drive to Reading, MA to look at good outdoor gear. When I visited last week, I was told they were able to renegotiate their lease and would be staying open (yay!). At that same moment, I heard a gentleman declare proudly that he would "buy [a Thule rack] online and save 10%" after an EMS employee had spent a while making sure we everything would fit. Grrr...

Old 05-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #87
Biggd

Quote:
Of course you are talking from experience in the industry correct? Not just merely as a consumer? E Commerce is 10% of the market and leveling off. Consumers even younger ones still like the shopping experience and to see and touch what they are buying. My information is from market research not just guessing or an opinion but facts. Yes myself and my clients take that toilet paper to the bank on the first of the month every month and magically the bank turns it into cash.
And there's no such thing as global warming.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #88
Bigstan

Quote:
I was disheartened to hear that Eastern Mountain Sports' parent company was shutting a bunch of stores--if my local shop, Nashua, closed I would've had to drive to Reading, MA to look at good outdoor gear. When I visited last week, I was told they were able to renegotiate their lease and would be staying open (yay!). At that same moment, I heard a gentleman declare proudly that he would "buy [a Thule rack] online and save 10%" after an EMS employee had spent a while making sure we everything would fit. Grrr...

I just did the same thing. Went to Sears to buy a TV I saw they had in stock. Got there and it was on display - perfect.

It was just what I wanted, so I went to buy it, but nobody was around. The appliance salesperson from across the way said there was nobody in electronics right now, and they could call the assistant manager as they were not able to sell me anything outside their department.

20 minutes later I left as I was on a lunch break. Went back that night and same story, nobody around to help. So I went home and bought it online somewhere else (thank you Amazon).

I tried twice so I don't feel bad at all. I am happy to save money and buy from Amazon, and no doubt at all Amazon has better customer service skills than any of the large B&Ms. I just wanted immediate gratification - hence B&M was the way to go. It just didn't work out to well.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #89
jeffatsquam

So what came first The opening of Dollar General or the armed robbery in town on Sunday morning ? "Isn't it ironic".
Old 05-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #90
Lakegeezer

E-commerce is growing steadily. This chart from the US Census Bureau doesn't include food or travel. If the charts were broken down by city vs suburban vs rural, my suspicion is that our rural area would be above the average % of e-commerce. However, big-ticket items, like a car, can skew the charts. For my normal purchase habits, gasoline, food, greeting cards, some hardware and most clothing is bought locally. The rest is Amazon prime.

For a junk food craving after Heath's is closed, Dollar General is an interesting option. After my first roam through the aisles, I left without buying a thing.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #91
kawishiwi

Default Ahem....

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0375b81127c1
Old 05-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #92
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:

there is an EMS store in Concord, NH
Old 05-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #93
thinkxingu

Quote:
I know, but it's not nearly as big. Or close.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #94
SIKSUKR

Quote:
And Manchester,Nashua,Salem.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #95
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
And Manchester,Nashua,Salem.
Salem's gone, Nashua was supposed to close--did you read my post?--and Manchester blows. All's good, now that Nashua is staying open!

Old 05-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #96
rsmlp

Default read it and weep, Joey

http://blog.yardeni.com/2017/05/death-by-amazon.html

Anyone who argues that ecommerce is "leveling off" is living on another planet. A delusional one at that.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #97
joey2665

Quote:
http://blog.yardeni.com/2017/05/death-by-amazon.html

Anyone who argues that ecommerce is "leveling off" is living on another planet. A delusional one at that.
Thank you for telling me I am delusional. I really appreciate the complement, I love how pleasant some people are on this form. Can't have a civil discussion without disparaging comments

Read all the articles you want, my knowledge is from the inside with many major retailers but you are entitled to your opinion and I mine.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #98
Biggd

Quote:
Thank you for telling me I am delusional. I really appreciate the complement, I love how pleasant some people are on this form. Can't have a civil discussion without disparaging comments

Read all the articles you want, my knowledge is from the inside with many major retailers but you are entitled to your opinion and I mine.
I don't think his comment was directed personally at you. You may be seeing a good market from where you stand but analytical numbers point to an increasing e-commerce market that is growing, not leveling off. It will never replace B&M stores but it will grow and take a larger market share over time. Amazon is growing not leveling off. If you don't see that then I don't know what to say to convince you. You are right about one thing, we are all entitled to out own opinion.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #99
rsmlp

Quote:

This coming from the guy who asked me not to opine about things I was not experienced with. Gimme a break. If you can't stand the heat...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #100
joey2665

Quote:
This coming from the guy who asked me not to opine about things I was not experienced with. Gimme a break. If you can't stand the heat...
I can stand any heat you can put out.
Closed Thread