Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Need a diver?

Hi All,
One thing I've been meaning to post was an offer to FF members and friends who might need a diver. Mooring inspections/repair (if the repairs aren't extensive) searches for stuff overboard and such-let me know. If my side-scan sonar is needed its always on board as well.

I'll dive free of charge. Not a year goes by that I'm not diving on something for a friend. Really deep water will be my judgement call.
FYI.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Airwaves

It is so cool that you would even offer to do this given what you have already done for folks you don't even know!

You are truely an unselfish Gentleman!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves

You are truely an unselfish Gentleman!
Indeed he is!

Diver1111 - What a generous offer of your time and equipment. You're a gem!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Default I thought you would never ask.

On the Merideth side of Eagle Island you will find an LG camara phone with my mug on the display.I really only want it to get the rest of those phone numbers I can't remember! Tsk! Tsk! Thoughtfull offer Diver.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Pineedles

Talking Awesome!

H**s,

I enjoyed talking, but mostly listening to you during the forum. You probably can't imagine the fascination that we "above the surface dwellers" have with you all. Wonderful offer! However, I don't have a need for someone with your talents, but your welcome to the 7 1/2 Evinrude outboard I lost in 1967 about 1/4 mile from the Center Harbor Sports Shop gas dock, mid harbor in Center Harbor.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Diver1111

Default 7 1/2 Evinrude

Ahhhhh yes Pineneedles, outboards. That must have been really annoying.

Here's a list of some of the things we've found over the years in the Conn. River, off Boston's North Shore, various other lakes & ponds, Winni, the Winni River, and Opechee: sunglasses, wallets, complete pocketbooks (2 in Winni, weighted down with rocks), radar detectors, chainsaws, safes, mountain bikes, outboards, trolling motors, rings (found a large sterling silver ring last week in Opechee), rifles, shotguns, pistols, ammo, fishing rods, entire tackle boxes, fishing reels (nice ones), loose bills, coins, old bottles, ceramic jugs from the 1800's, dinnerware, old crystal pitchers (Paugus Bay), car parts, railroad rails, RR ties, steam boilers, copper wire spools, very old harvested logs, row boats, scuba gear, snow skiis, parts to snowmobiles, whole windows, phone booths (in Canada), toilets (also in Canada), one Rolex "Oyster" something (Wolfboro), 1920's era brass/bronze fire extinguishers (standard factory-issue on the old Chris Crafts-Centurys-Hackers), 1800's era glass inkwells (very cool), cars/parts of cars from the 1930's, lots and lots of anchors (I have 4 hanging from my basement rafter if anyone needs one) and so forth.

Never know what we'll find-just never know-great adventure this diving thing...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
jrc

If you need a few more anchors (maybe for the flea market?) There are at least three in the little cove south-east of Worcester Island. One was mine. Two I saw people leave behind.

More anchors and a bunch of pocket change await in the cove on the north-east of Timber. Right where a dozen cruisers usually raft.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
onthebay

Default Pick Milfoil

Diver, are you or do you know of any divers interested in picking milfoil from off our shore on Paugus Bay. It would be a paying job....Thanks
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Grant

Scuba gear?

That's scary.

Actually, I found a mask, sans glass, off our shore a few weeks ago in about 25 ffw. First thought is always, "I'd better not find the owner, too."

Found a toilet down here this weekend.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
mrylmbt

Default ink wells

you do relize that the ink well is probably worth a lot of money? I know someone that collects them, and the early 1800's catch a lot of money if it is in good shape,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111
Ahhhhh yes Pineneedles, outboards. That must have been really annoying.

Here's a list of some of the things we've found over the years in the Conn. River, off Boston's North Shore, various other lakes & ponds, Winni, the Winni River, and Opechee: sunglasses, wallets, complete pocketbooks (2 in Winni, weighted down with rocks), radar detectors, chainsaws, safes, mountain bikes, outboards, trolling motors, rings (found a large sterling silver ring last week in Opechee), rifles, shotguns, pistols, ammo, fishing rods, entire tackle boxes, fishing reels (nice ones), loose bills, coins, old bottles, ceramic jugs from the 1800's, dinnerware, old crystal pitchers (Paugus Bay), car parts, railroad rails, RR ties, steam boilers, copper wire spools, very old harvested logs, row boats, scuba gear, snow skiis, parts to snowmobiles, whole windows, phone booths (in Canada), toilets (also in Canada), one Rolex "Oyster" something (Wolfboro), 1920's era brass/bronze fire extinguishers (standard factory-issue on the old Chris Crafts-Centurys-Hackers), 1800's era glass inkwells (very cool), cars/parts of cars from the 1930's, lots and lots of anchors (I have 4 hanging from my basement rafter if anyone needs one) and so forth.

Never know what we'll find-just never know-great adventure this diving thing...
mrylmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
ApS

Exclamation Diving Site Disclosed in Videotape

Quote:
"...If my side-scan sonar is needed its always on board as well..."
One possible diving site lies between Parker Island and the NW tip of Wolfeboro Neck.

A large boat transporting old, damp, and decaying dynamite from its storage site in Tuftonboro, exploded. The floating debris field contained nothing very large. The boat had a single large engine which may appear in your side-scan sonar with other hull debris.

Judging by the direction in which the witness is pointing in the archived videotape, I'd put that wreck midway between the NW end of Wolfeboro Neck and Parker island. That witness, Mr. Ralph M. Horn, late of Wolfeboro, stated that the boat wreck lies in 60 feet of water.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
Diver1111

Default Last post

Acres,
Now you have my attention-what is the name of the video tape you saw this referenced on? Sounds like a nifty search and dive-really!

Any idea how old the boat was, and what year this occurred?

I will definitely look for it in the spring and post any SSS images I get that prove to be the boat. I will dive and confirm it first of course.
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
Silver Duck

jrc

Was one of the boats that you saw leaving an anchor behind a burgundy cruiser? If it wasn't, make that four anchors! (I think that maybe we belong to the same "left an anchor in the cove" club! )

Actually, that cove is my favorite place on the entire lake; I stop there almost every weekend!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #14
Pineedles

Default Diver

Is not old dynamite dangerous, even if it is underwater? Say the less when it is brought up to the surface and exposed to air?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #15
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
jrc

Was one of the boats that you saw leaving an anchor behind a burgundy cruiser? If it wasn't, make that four anchors! (I think that maybe we belong to the same "left an anchor in the cove" club! )

Actually, that cove is my favorite place on the entire lake; I stop there almost every weekend!

Silver Duck
It's been a few years, I don't remember the colors. After I lost mine, I started noticing when other boats did that special dance to try to free a stuck anchor.

Since I changed my location and gas went sky high, I started going behind Timber more often. That Worcester Island cove is still one of my favorites.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default How many anchors

One wonders, with a lake the size of Winni, and all the boats that moor every weekend, how many anchors lie in a watery grave. Even better yet how much money all those anchors may be worth.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #17
Grant

Senter Cove Guy once told me that, as a young turk, he and a friend would find old anchors, clean 'em up & resell 'em. I've found a few over the years, as well as some long-forgotten mooring blocks and concrete disks.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #18
Mee-n-Mac

Talking As a young ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Senter Cove Guy once told me that, as a young turk, he and a friend would find old anchors, clean 'em up & resell 'em. I've found a few over the years, as well as some long-forgotten mooring blocks and concrete disks.

Wow, I'd have thought the glacier would have gotten in the way. Shows how much I know ....
Old 12-08-2006, 10:11 AM   #19
Grant

I'm leaving that one alone. Dive buddies are hard enough to come by.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Diver...just a question out of curiosity.......I've heard that divers have seen huge pyramids of sunken beer cans directly under the site of ice fishing holes. Truth or rumor??
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #21
Grant

Certainly no lack of beer cans on the bottom of Winni, that's for sure. Can't say I've seen pyramids, and I can't tell where the ice fishing holes are, but there are a load of cans.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #22
Neanderthal Thunder

Lightbulb

Understood that it would not be economical for SCUBA folks to pick up after those abusers of the lake, but a Bottle Bill would probably "slow the flow".

Proceeds to benefit Fish & Game?
Neanderthal Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
We used to do the same thing back in the late 50's and early 60's, especially around the Witches. Always had a pry bar in the boat, find the anchors, take them back into Glendale, clean them up, and sell 'em. (Yeah Mee-n-Mac...the horse boats did have anchors, but we catered to the "speed boats"...the little horse boats powered by twin Shetland Ponies!!!! )
Old 12-09-2006, 06:22 PM   #24
Diver1111

Default Cans & Bottles

I have never seen anything resembling pyramids. Lots of "groupings" of bottles and cans, however but no true piles. But you simply wouldn't believe the amount of crap-especially related to beer-I've seen in the lake. Outright astonishing in many places. Clearly someone was fishing at these spots because it's too far offshore to throw them. They were grouped because they were prob. anchored, fished, drank, and tossed. Makes me sick. If I ever actually SAW someone do it I would do something about it, starting with a call to MP on the spot. The arrogance of these people is unbelievable when you think about it. These are the same losers who no doubt would try to kick your butt if you drove by their house and threw your empties out the window on to their lawn.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #25
mg2107

It makes me very sad that we have totally despoiled this huge and pristine lake basically in the last 50 years. I hope it's not too late to save it.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #26
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2107
It makes me very sad that we have totally despoiled this huge and pristine lake basically in the last 50 years. I hope it's not too late to save it.
Well, it's really nothing new. Not that it makes it any more acceptable. Check out the artifact photos Diver111 posted under the "History" section to see what the "old" garbage looks like.

"Back in the day," as they say, the Lake was used as a big dump. Island inhabitants, in particular, were prone to burning their refuse, and the throwing the remnants into the Lake. Hence, the glass and metal that remain. You'll often find bottled that are blackened -- indicating a fire.

But, yes, the sheer number of beer cans and bottles in the Lake is stunning. That being said, one day Senter Cover Guy and I did a loop around Store Island (having both "grown up" on the Lake near there). Years ago, there was a house on the island, and I figured there might be some interesting junk. I did find 6-8 bottles that day. Oddly enough, they were all SODA bottles -- apparently from the 50s, when the brands were still embossed on the glass.

As I type, I am looking at a bottle found in the Lake (I forget where...). "W.H. Jones & Co. Boston...Established 1851" with a trademark featuring a bear and some Latin. If you check eBay, you'll find stoneware whiskey containers by the same company. It's a really cool bottle.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure (when you add a few decades), but BEER CANS???? Ugh.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #27
mg2107

True we have been polluting the lake for hundreds of years but due to the huge increase in the useage and population and the massive amounts of pollution we leave behind we are about to reach a tipping point I"m afraid.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #28
Island Life

Quote:
But you simply wouldn't believe the amount of crap-especially related to beer-I've seen in the lake. Outright astonishing in many places.
I would believe it. All this stuff washes up on my beach and I spend the entire summer picking people's garbage off the sand. If you're ever looking for something, call me. It's probably floating near my place.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #29
Grant

And now we're approaching that time of year when people deposit really big items in the Lake -- like snowmobiles, cars and trucks...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #30
SIKSUKR

I'd like to "deposit" something on the head of people who throw anything in the lake that does not belong there!Well,except I have a phone by Eagle Is but it didn't get there on purpose.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #31
Weirs guy

I'm amazed at the amount of crap burried in my back yard! I thought all the trach made it to the lake in the old days, but not so much.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #32
ApS

Smile Just one more thing...

Quote:
Acres,
Now you have my attention-what is the name of the video tape you saw this referenced on? Sounds like a nifty search and dive-really!

Any idea how old the boat was, and what year this occurred?

I will definitely look for it in the spring and post any SSS images I get that prove to be the boat. I will dive and confirm it first of course.
Thanks!
There may be some Wolfeboro folks who remember, but nothing further was mentioned on the personal videotape. It could have been a wood boat from as long ago as the 40s or 50s.

Another "structure site" appears to be worked by bass fishermen off Wolfeboro Airport's old floatplane ramp in Winter Harbor. It could be a boulder or a collection of rocks, but it could be some "disappeared" floatplane-related item. It's about 400 feet perpendicular to the shoreline and 200 feet SE of a newest McMansion being built. (Three garages...a "Garage Majal"?)

There can't be 30 feet of water there. Immediately after ice-out, you could probably see whatever's there from the surface!