Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 AM   #1
spauldeen

Default Water Spiders (large black) under docks

Our two docks have become increasingly popular residences for large, black water spiders. They remain on the underside most of the time, but will appear topside on occasion. No bites to date. Are they a danger? Any advice on responsible way to deter them appreciated.
spauldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
radiocontester

I had a big spider problem on my boat and at the slip last year. This year I spray everything down with Spider Away on a regular basis and have noticed a significant reduction of the little buggers this year. It seems to work.....also great around the house. Do a google search for Spider Away.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
rsmlp

Default Dock spiders

I cannot tell you how many times our five children screamed due to these scary buggers. they can get HUGE!

http://cottagelife.com/environment/1...t-dock-spiders
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default No Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spauldeen View Post
Our two docks have become increasingly popular residences for large, black water spiders. They remain on the underside most of the time, but will appear topside on occasion. No bites to date. Are they a danger? Any advice on responsible way to deter them appreciated.
Absolutely no danger at all. I swear there are spiders under my dock big enough to saddle!�� I have an agreement with them though...I leave them alone and they leave me alone! This has worked well for the last 9 years...

Take a look at this one I took a picture of a couple years back... https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...hlight=Spiders

Dan
Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
RumGuy

Default good news

The good part is that you can hear their footsteps, so they really can't sneak up on you.

When my kids were young, I managed to bring one home with me with some boat parts: If that thing had exposed itself in my car, at least 3 kids would have rocketed themselves into the front seat. Have you ever seen a single car off the road and wondered how the heck it happened? Probably dock spider....
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
Barney Bear

Default Spiders in Paradise. 🕷

The beautiful dock spiders are harmless. However, our guests question this fact.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

What freaked me out the most when I was a kid was the skeleton? of these. Do they molt? I used to see empty ones attached under the dock.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
What freaked me out the most when I was a kid was the skeleton? of these. Do they molt? I used to see empty ones attached under the dock.
I think that's what they look like when they're dead...haven't you ever seen "Charlette's Web"?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Woody38

That is my understanding with the snakes in our yard. I don't like snakes, however, I tell them I will not bother them and they will not bother me.
So fat, so good.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
noreast

They're dangerous to me, I could easily have a stroke with the size of those things, Ever steeped on a floating dock and have them crawl up between the wood on to your feet?
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Some of these skeletons are actually what dragon flies hatch from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piQfSw-KJcA
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #12
ApS

Talking Waiting...Listening...Sensing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumGuy View Post
The good part is that you can hear their footsteps, so they really can't sneak up on you.

When my kids were young, I managed to bring one home with me with some boat parts: If that thing had exposed itself in my car, at least 3 kids would have rocketed themselves into the front seat. Have you ever seen a single car off the road and wondered how the heck it happened? Probably dock spider....
Actually, they're hiding under the dock, listening for small footsteps...

Attached Images

Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #13
jmk

I know them well. Realize that those swarms of little water bugs that are all over the surface near your dock are actually spiders. Get them under a microscope and you'll see! That is the best time to get them. Buy a pool cleaning net and scoop them up and crush them. It's amazing what this does to the population. I will also try the spider product mentioned earlier in this thread. But to answer the original question, never ever had a bite from them and, come to think of it, we have no mosquitoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #14
icg56

These guys eat other bugs you don't want around along with occasional minnow or tadpole. Harmless to people/don't bite. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone and maybe even help keep other bugs away. Enjoy the diversity of life!
icg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #15
Greene's Basin Girl

The water spiders I am seeing now are different from those that I have seen in the past. They have a thinner body.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
Barney Bear

Default Thinner Spiders

These svelte spiders are on fitness programs. Some have joined Weight Watchers. 🕷
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #17
MOXIE

Default wolf spiders

I can't believe this thread has been up for 5 days and nobody has correctly identified these spiders. They are wolf spiders. They will bite and you will get sick. I see them in the boat and around the dock.
3yrs ago, I came in from work on a hot day. As I often do I changed into my swim shorts, slipped on my old sneakers (no lacings so I am easy in-out) and walked down to the dock. I kicked of the sneakers and dove in the water, swam out to the float and back, and got back on the dock. When I put my right foot in the sneaker it felt weird and I quickly kicked it off and picked it up. Inside was a wounded (by my foot) wolf spider, and it had bit me. I dumped him (or her) in the water, put on my sneaker and went back to the house. Later it started to itch. The next morning it was all red and swollen. I called the VA and was told to come right in.
Now it's 18hrs later and my temp is over 100degrees. 7days of anti-biotics and all is good. Needless to say I check my sneakers now.
They are NOT harmless, they are not deadly but they will make you sick, and if you have other health issues it could get complicated.
I hope others can benefit from my experience.
Peace My Friends, MOXIE
MOXIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #18
Newbiesaukee

They are probably fishing or dock spiders rather than wolf spiders. Wolf spiders are usually not around water. Both can bite, but rarely bite humans. Neither is "toxic" but any insect or spider bite can cause reactions in some individuals.

But they are very scary looking.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #19
Merrymeeting

"Fortunately, they have little interest in people. Dock spiders are generally not aggressive regarding humans and will usually hide when we approach. A dock spider will only bite a person in the rare situation that the spider feels threatened, for instance if the female spider is protecting its young.

Unless you grab the spider or inadvertently step on it, you will likely never be bitten."

Certainly putting your foot into a shoe where one is hiding would qualify as "inadvertently stepping on it"

http://www.cottagetips.com/tips/fact...-dock-spiders/
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #20
ITD

They bite, it hurts, but I have never gotten sick from one, although I've only been bitten by smaller ones. The little buggers crawl to the boat on dock lines and hide under the boat cover. Sometimes when I remove the boat cover I accidently grab one then wham, you know when they bite. Other than that they don't bother you, I leave them alone. If one is where I don't want it, I give it a quick flick into the water, they don't like that, fish think they are tasty. They scramble, on the water to the nearest safe place.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #21
noreast

There not wolf spiders, Wolf spiders are all over the place. I don't know the Latin name, But I've never heard anything other than dock spider, they can be about 10 x the size of wolf spiders. In NH anyway.

Last edited by noreast; 07-22-2017 at 05:54 PM.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #22
ApS

Talking Actually, The Earliest Spiders Populated Earth from Outer Space...

Scientists have developed inter-species genes to cross the "species line". They have made trans-Mammalian creatures that share strong physical characteristics with Arachnids. Venom has been compromised in the process, in favor of alerting their owners to trespassers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
They are probably fishing or dock spiders rather than wolf spiders. Wolf spiders are usually not around water. Both can bite, but rarely bite humans. Neither is "toxic" but any insect or spider bite can cause reactions in some individuals.

But they are very scary looking.
LOL-hilarious—yet terrifying—at the same time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoB8t0B4jx4

Old 07-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #23
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Scientists have developed inter-species genes to cross the "species line". They have made trans-Mammalian creatures that share strong physical characteristics with Arachnids. Venom has been compromised in the process, in favor of alerting their owners to trespassers.

LOL-hilarious—yet terrifying—at the same time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoB8t0B4jx4

Could this be the terrifying wolf spider??

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #24
Top-Water

Quote:
Are they a danger?
Yes, they can grow to enormous size. They are the unintended consequences of "Science Gone Wrong" at the underwater testing laboratory near Diamond Island performed by the US Navy after world war II. (See Image) First spotted around the lake in 1955

Quote:
Any advice on responsible way to deter them appreciated.
Yes Clint Eastwood,

May not be considered a responsible way to deter them by some folks but seems to be effective. Very common in the desert southwest along with the "50 Foot Woman", and the "Colossal Man"

@Merrymeeting thanks for the informative link.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #25
ApS

Question Texas-Sized?

Next to the dock today, something big and black caught my eye—and disappeared. It had scuttled around the far side of a Hemlock "bush". One of a pair of Eastern Hemlock trees that we keep closely-cropped).

Looking under the freshly abandoned 5-inch circular mesh of spider web, I could see about 200 BB-sized spiderlings.

A couple of years ago, I had seen something similar in the other Hemlock bush and back then, I put my face closer, when the bush started to tremble.

"Momma" Dock Spider had come out to accost the villain who had disturbed her nest—a scary sight, indeed!

I bring this up because I haven't seen any other trees with those Dock Spider webs. (I prefer White Pine trees for New Hampshire homes, but loggers do, too).

Maybe it's time to remove those two "trees" and replant with hophornbeam?

BTW: The video I'd previously placed was marked indicating it wasn't for casual viewing. (And even after several viewings a year apart, I still got goosebumps!) So consider yourselves post-warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Could this be the terrifying wolf spider??
Perhaps the Arizona Wolf Spider, but it shares no kinship with the Florida Wolf Spider.

(This particular specimen had lost a leg to a Rottweiler).

Old 08-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #26
BushmanNH

When I was a kid of about 8, I used to play in a local river in Barnstead, I had one of these arachnids run up my leg into my shorts. It came out due to an immediate (although embarrassing public) disrobing. It is something that crosses my mind to this day every time I am on the water. I will admit that more than a few Water Spiders have met with my wrath over the years since that day.
BushmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #27
Patofnaud

Wish I had taken a picture...

Just a week or so ago, dock the boat in the evening, next day around 2pm I go to cast off and HOLY CRAP!

Big mama dock spider just overnight had climbed up one of my fenders and made a nest and has hundreds of little babies all webbed at the end of the rope tied up at the cleet!

Now I'm a big guy and they usually don't bother me, but I had to go get a dockhand. "Hey, do you have some big leather work gloves?" I asked, he said no worries I can get that for you,,, then when he saw it, he made the face like the USPS guy in the commercial when he saw the clown. Oh yeah, that's gotta go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvcQmkhznw
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote