Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2022, 06:06 AM   #1
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,012
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,225 Posts
Default Restaurants that Remain a Value

As I've posted in the past, The Bob House has been one of my favorite restaurants, but when we visited a few weeks ago after a bit of a gap I was surprised to see how much the prices have increased. One of my favorites, the seafood platter, is now $39, something like $10—or 30%—higher than last year. With tax and tip, that one plate alone is over $50, and with the other increases, our family's bill is way over $100 even when ordering cheaply. It's still a great place, but we just can't afford it like we once could.

Since then, we've visited three restaurants we don't typically frequent, and I was impressed to see that all have done a very good job of keeping prices low and quality high.

Please add to this list, if you can.

Jake's Seafood and Grill (Ossipee): after returning the boat to MVM yesterday, we thought we'd take a drive to Yankee Smokehouse but remembered we'd wanted to try this place but it was closed when tried the first time. $90 total bill for three included a seafood platter rivaling Pop's (not quite, but very close), sodas, clam chowder, and two desserts (that were AWESOME). Totally recommend this place if you're in the area.

Buckey's: I've written about my recent experiences on the Buckey's thread; $27 or so for a full rack of ribs that leaves ME with leftovers is pretty sweet.

Route 104 Diner: the surprise of this weekend. The turkey dinner for $14 is a steal, and everything we got (except the bread pudding) was awesome. The only problem here is that so much sounds so good and is so inexpensive that we were wayyyy overstuffed...AND had leftovers.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk


Last edited by thinkxingu; 10-02-2022 at 07:32 AM.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:27 AM   #2
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,362
Thanks: 374
Thanked 1,048 Times in 491 Posts
Default

Right up there in the category of value (quality and quantity) would be Farmer's Kitchen in Farmington. https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/


__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-13-2023)
Old 10-02-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,522
Thanks: 58
Thanked 268 Times in 188 Posts
Default

Agree on Bob House. Over the summer their prices have gone up 20% on the items i usually get. With summer over we will see if they drop them
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,012
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,225 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Agree on Bob House. Over the summer their prices have gone up 20% on the items i usually get. With summer over we will see if they drop them
Where have you been going instead, or are you just absorbing the increases?

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
tummyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 794
Thanks: 238
Thanked 636 Times in 231 Posts
Default

Village Kitchen is still a very good value. And with Seth / Anna (they have been there all along!!) the new owners, we are happy to help them sustain and grow this business. We have been the last two weekends now that they are open for dinners Thursday-Saturday.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (10-04-2022), Jilliebean28 (07-12-2023), SAMIAM (07-13-2023), TCC (10-02-2022), thinkxingu (10-02-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #6
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 3,252
Thanks: 1,196
Thanked 2,029 Times in 930 Posts
Default

Johnson's in New Durham:
http://www.johnsonsseafoodandsteak.com/node/9

405 Pub & Grill:
https://www.405pubandgrill.com/

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:29 AM   #7
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,857
Thanks: 330
Thanked 1,642 Times in 570 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Village Kitchen is still a very good value. And with Seth / Anna (they have been there all along!!) the new owners, we are happy to help them sustain and grow this business. We have been the last two weekends now that they are open for dinners Thursday-Saturday.
I think Seth is only charging $12 for his turkey dinner.Not sure what night it runs but thats a good value
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:36 AM   #8
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH
Posts: 5,533
Thanks: 3,142
Thanked 1,092 Times in 786 Posts
Default Best Value restaurants.

My take on this? Lakeside across from Walmart, T-Bones/CJ in Laconia, Village Kitchen in Moultonboro. Outstanding values for 'comfort food'.
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-03-2022), upthesaukee (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #9
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,522
Thanks: 58
Thanked 268 Times in 188 Posts
Default

I am now gone for the winter but ate twice before i left at lemon grass. Great food at reasonable prices. And the entire meal is creative. No plain green beans
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phoenix For This Useful Post:
escaped from NJ (11-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 07:30 AM   #10
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 3,252
Thanks: 1,196
Thanked 2,029 Times in 930 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
My take on this? Lakeside across from Walmart, T-Bones/CJ in Laconia, Village Kitchen in Moultonboro. Outstanding values for 'comfort food'.
Agree on the Lakeside, our go to breakfast stop (today included) and lunch on occasion. Also agree on T-Bones/CJ if you take advantage of their Paybacks. Also 25% off for Vets on Tuesday.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #11
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 872
Thanks: 235
Thanked 769 Times in 303 Posts
Default Rossi's

....haven't been there in probably 2 or 3 years, but Rossi's was always very good for no-frills Italian. Not much atmosphere, but huge portions, good food, and reasonable prices.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #12
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 199
Thanked 606 Times in 408 Posts
Default

Goto value is the Union Dinner. Difficult to get that way this season due to all the construction. Never disappointed


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
magicrobotmonkey (10-04-2022), MeredithMan (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #13
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 3,220
Thanks: 1,210
Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Goto value is the Union Dinner. Difficult to get that way this season due to all the construction. Never disappointed


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Absolutely agree. Unfortuneately with the condos close to completion across the street it will be very difficult to get in there in season. Great for Rose, stinks for us.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #14
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 6,024
Thanks: 2,323
Thanked 5,017 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default Patrick’s

We like Patrick’s a lot! Good food at a fair price and always good service! They are probably one of the busiest restaurants in the Lakes Region and have been for quite some time so they are doing something right!

Two thumbs up!

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-04-2022), MeredithMan (10-04-2022), pjard (10-04-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 08:47 PM   #15
bellamaria
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 15
Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
....haven't been there in probably 2 or 3 years, but Rossi's was always very good for no-frills Italian. Not much atmosphere, but huge portions, good food, and reasonable prices.
LOVE Rossi’s in New Hampton! They are still there serving up the best classics and delicious pizza Wednesday thru Sunday starting at 4:00. And Margo is still there working her tail off, tending to her friends who come to dine.
bellamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #16
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 346
Thanks: 3
Thanked 70 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
As I've posted in the past, The Bob House has been one of my favorite restaurants, but when we visited a few weeks ago after a bit of a gap I was surprised to see how much the prices have increased. One of my favorites, the seafood platter, is now $39, something like $10—or 30%—higher than last year. With tax and tip, that one plate alone is over $50, and with the other increases, our family's bill is way over $100 even when ordering cheaply. It's still a great place, but we just can't afford it like we once could.

Since then, we've visited three restaurants we don't typically frequent, and I was impressed to see that all have done a very good job of keeping prices low and quality high.

Please add to this list, if you can.

Jake's Seafood and Grill (Ossipee): after returning the boat to MVM yesterday, we thought we'd take a drive to Yankee Smokehouse but remembered we'd wanted to try this place but it was closed when tried the first time. $90 total bill for three included a seafood platter rivaling Pop's (not quite, but very close), sodas, clam chowder, and two desserts (that were AWESOME). Totally recommend this place if you're in the area.

Buckey's: I've written about my recent experiences on the Buckey's thread; $27 or so for a full rack of ribs that leaves ME with leftovers is pretty sweet.

Route 104 Diner: the surprise of this weekend. The turkey dinner for $14 is a steal, and everything we got (except the bread pudding) was awesome. The only problem here is that so much sounds so good and is so inexpensive that we were wayyyy overstuffed...AND had leftovers.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Jake's has always been good. Started eating there in the early 90's. Unfortunately, it's not on my way to N. Conway anymore after moving.

My go to for breakfast is Sunshine and Pa's in Meredith. Great breakfast at a good value and great service.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #17
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 1,507
Thanks: 616
Thanked 638 Times in 327 Posts
Default George's Diner...

I'm surprised to not see George's Diner in Meredith mentioned.
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:03 PM   #18
jbolty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 655
Thanks: 314
Thanked 245 Times in 144 Posts
Default

I have not been in too long but have always like George's Sea Food in Plymouth. The opposite of fancy but always good and affordable.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:56 AM   #19
Janet
Senior Member
 
Janet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 467
Thanks: 231
Thanked 130 Times in 88 Posts
Default Jake's Seafood

We also like Jake's but really really miss Jena's Lobster Quest that was on Rt 16 in Ossipee. They had the best clam chowder and fried clam bellies in the area. So sorry it closed.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #20
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,362
Thanks: 374
Thanked 1,048 Times in 491 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
We also like Jake's but really really miss Jena's Lobster Quest that was on Rt 16 in Ossipee. They had the best clam chowder and fried clam bellies in the area. So sorry it closed.

A new fish market has opened at that location to rave reviews. Here's the link https://www.thefishmarketmarblehead.com/ossipee
Attached Images
 
__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #21
Janet
Senior Member
 
Janet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 467
Thanks: 231
Thanked 130 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
A new fish market has opened at that location to rave reviews. Here's the link https://www.thefishmarketmarblehead.com/ossipee
Thanks for the info mcdude. Will definitely give it a try when we return next summer.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #22
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,362
Thanks: 374
Thanked 1,048 Times in 491 Posts
Default

I just noticed this on line. Thought it might be of some interest to those not living on the Walmart side of the lake
Attached Images
 
__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:03 PM   #23
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,012
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,225 Posts
Default

Scallops and bacon for $2 a pop?! I'd buy them things like candy!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:44 PM   #24
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,012
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,225 Posts
Default

I just wanted to update this:

I visited the Bob House last week after a long hiatus because of the pricing but was pleasant surprised to find that, at least what I ordered—the seafood platter—had come back down to regular price...and it remained excellent.

Also, we visited Jake's a couple days ago, and it was awesome as well. My only complaint was that there were only two fried Oreos in the fried Oreos dessert. We're really digging Jake's.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 10:42 PM   #25
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 2,264
Thanks: 1,175
Thanked 951 Times in 589 Posts
Default

Agree the VK is still great and a great value.

Please help with intel on Buckey's--we've been staying away because we need to keep the saturated fat low, and it appears they have nothing in the way of grilled fish on their online menu.

Is that correct? Thanks
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 03:39 AM   #26
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,012
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,225 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Agree the VK is still great and a great value.

Please help with intel on Buckey's--we've been staying away because we need to keep the saturated fat low, and it appears they have nothing in the way of grilled fish on their online menu.

Is that correct? Thanks
That's probably correct—it's straight up bar food. It's good tasting and value bar food, though, so if you're ever able to fill the gap with ribs or tips or a solid burger, give it a go!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 05:42 AM   #27
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,012
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,225 Posts
Default

Buckey's, Jake's, and 104 Dinner still remain values, but I'll add George's—that place always feels like a bargain, and the food is constantly good.

Anywhere else to add?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 06:28 AM   #28
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH
Posts: 5,533
Thanks: 3,142
Thanked 1,092 Times in 786 Posts
Default Lakeside

There is a small restaurant across the road from Gilford Walmart. Lakeside I believe, has been consistent value since opening several years ago. The menu contains mostly 'comfort' food but excellent quality. They had whole belly clams as a special one day. It was delicious!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 02:22 PM   #29
ghfromaltonbay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Clifton, NJ, Alton Bay
Posts: 821
Thanks: 246
Thanked 224 Times in 130 Posts
Default Country Cook'n at the Lakeside

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
There is a small restaurant across the road from Gilford Walmart. Lakeside I believe, has been consistent value since opening several years ago. The menu contains mostly 'comfort' food but excellent quality. They had whole belly clams as a special one day. It was delicious!
I totally agree with Broadhopper. The restaurant is open for all 3 meals daily, and you can order the breakfast menu till mid afternoon. This restaurant has 2 "sister" locations: The Eggshell in Belmont (breakfast & lunch) and the restaurant on Route 28 on the Epsom Circle which is the original location.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 04:39 PM   #30
NH.Solar
Senior Member
 
NH.Solar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Jackson Pond, New Hampton
Posts: 213
Thanks: 39
Thanked 131 Times in 71 Posts
Default The Common Man chain

My favorite is the Italian Farmhouse, but then anything owned and run by Alex Ray is going to be at worst, fairly good. I don't think the restaurants outside of the Lakes region however are as good as what we enjoy. Plus there is the Flying Monkey in Plymouth for shows. We are very lucky that Alex lives and thrives so well here!
__________________
Peter
NH Solar
NH.Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:33 PM   #31
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,033
Thanks: 62
Thanked 712 Times in 464 Posts
Default

Ditto on that.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 06:51 AM   #32
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,522
Thanks: 58
Thanked 268 Times in 188 Posts
Default

And still riding the unicycle in the 4th parade
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 12:32 PM   #33
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 465
Thanks: 5
Thanked 161 Times in 82 Posts
Default Buckey's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
That's probably correct—it's straight up bar food. It's good tasting and value bar food, though, so if you're ever able to fill the gap with ribs or tips or a solid burger, give it a go!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Not true. They have roasted chicken that is certainly heart healthy.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 11:34 AM   #34
Shreddy
Senior Member
 
Shreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moultonboro
Posts: 506
Thanks: 173
Thanked 207 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Buckey's, Jake's, and 104 Dinner still remain values, but I'll add George's—that place always feels like a bargain, and the food is constantly good.

Anywhere else to add?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Overlook Tavern at Birch Hill Country Club in Moultonborough. It's open to the public and has very scenic views and great food
__________________
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 12:20 PM   #35
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 750
Thanks: 755
Thanked 304 Times in 202 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
Overlook Tavern at Birch Hill Country Club in Moultonborough. It's open to the public and has very scenic views and great food
My sister and I stopped by a couple of weeks ago. We thought it was fantastic.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 06:52 PM   #36
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 2,264
Thanks: 1,175
Thanked 951 Times in 589 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Not true. They have roasted chicken that is certainly heart healthy.
Heart patient here. I have not been to Buckey's in a couple of years, but if their roast chicken includes dark meat and/or skin, it is not heart healthy, although still better for you than their delicious steak tips. Their turkey tips are heart healthy (but those smashed potatoes, not so much)
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2024, 08:50 AM   #37
Heaven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 519
Thanks: 126
Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I have sworn off of Johnsons, went with a family group about three years ago and it was truly horrid. It had been a regular place for us for a couple of decades, , , no more.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2024, 05:37 PM   #38
pondguy
Senior Member
 
pondguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 240
Thanks: 547
Thanked 185 Times in 122 Posts
Default

It was the best when it was Dot's Lunch back years ago.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 07:32 AM   #39
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,563
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 2,415
Thanked 1,924 Times in 1,066 Posts
Default Three years is a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I have sworn off of Johnsons, went with a family group about three years ago and it was truly horrid. It had been a regular place for us for a couple of decades, , , no more.
Three years is a long time for one bad experience in over decades of good times.

I would give it one more try and see if things are back to what you remember or at least close to it.

We go to Johnson's on occasion and enjoy their selections. Good food and good service. We do tend to go into the Tavern, only because the dining room has always been so loud (for years).

Give it a try.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 12:46 PM   #40
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 3,252
Thanks: 1,196
Thanked 2,029 Times in 930 Posts
Default

Experiences vary but as UP says don't let one bad visit negate 2 decades of being a regular.

Johnson's is a regular stop for us, had lunch there today. I had the local fried shrimp and J had the salmon tips. Both were very good. We both enjoy craft beer so 36 on tap is a plus for us.

Alan
Attached Images
 
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 05:21 PM   #41
GusMan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Haven't been there yet this year.. but are frequent customers over the last few years (we have a seasonal camper over in Milton NH).

Tavern is definitely the place to sit... much more fun and pub like than the dining room. Service is usually excellent. Craft beer list is great and every changing.

Haven't tried all of the menu, but have several favorites. I HAVE to get steamers here... always pristine and sweet. Fried seafood is very solid here... seafood platters.. whole belly clams.. and especially haddock.

Not cheap, but good seafood never is.

Cheers!7
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GusMan For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-18-2024), Slickcraft (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 05:37 PM   #42
GusMan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default

While thinking about value restaurant.. a bit removed from Winnie proper..

I have to give a shout out to the Poor Peoples Pub in Sanbornville. Tourist Trap? Yeah, maybe... I've been going there 20+ years and it's a great place for great pub grub for more than reasonable prices.

Great Lobster rolls ($$$ like everywhere else) and great sandwiches ..like the steak bomb, meatball sub, club sandwiches and others. Keep in mind..
No fryolator.. so chicken/fries are baked/broiled. The Friday daily special entree is usually a most delicious baked stuffed haddock that is a steal at $18.

Bonuses... Beer is cheap .. not a craft beer haven and no liquor.. but most of the servers have been there forever and are great.

Oh and pretty cool merch!

Cheers!
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.34366 seconds