Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Just Sold

Default Lago - Meredith

We went to Lago in Meredith last evening. I have to compliment our server, Marge, for excellent attentive service but we were not overly impressed with our main course. My Lasgna was cool and my wife' s chicken parm was also. Both meals were just hot enough when served but they were not so cool that we could not eat them. My wife's spaghetti with alfredo was dry and she asked and recieved a side of alfredo which was appreciated. The veggie side was kale which is not one of my favorites.
The deserts were spectacular - I had the rasberry soaked cake and my wife had the carmel desert.
So would we go back? We do not find it one we will revisit.
We have tried Camp and The Lakehouse in Meredith and they are way above Lago in main course selection and quality and we would revist them.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Altonbayicefishingfool

My first visit there 2 years ago I ordered veal parm, they brought me chicken. Haven't been back since...
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Gatto Nero

We've had great luck at Lago and we've been many times times summer. The food and service have always been very good. Even though we typically share an app and we get a bottle of wine I am always impressed with how small the bill is at the end.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
TomC

Default my experience was poor as well

the location is excellent and i am disappointed that Lago has gone downhill. i ordered a steak medium, and it came out (very) rare.. Should be no big deal to fix, so i sent it back to be cooked a bit longer. by the time it was returned, it was (very) well done and the side dishes were cold. so i told them to start over. by the time i saw a meal, the rest of my family was done and already ordered dessert. they put the meal in a doggie bag, and comp'd it, but the dinner was a failure at that point
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
hilltopper

Default Common Man...

I find the Common Man restaurants to be....well...common. By this I mean consistently OK, sprinkled with below average dishes here and there, with nothing ever blowing me away. I've been in Meredith 5 years now and have not visited the Common Man establishments in town. I have been to Common Mans in Merrimack, Plymouth, and Ashland.

That being said, I do respect what Alex Ray has done and think his establishments are a plus to the community.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-26-2012), Lucy Goose (07-26-2012), Newbiesaukee (07-26-2012), VitaBene (07-26-2012), WakeboardMom (08-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Phantom

VERY well stated Hilltopper !!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
jrc

Why can't restaurants get steaks right, it is so frustrating. Even pricey steak places can't get it right consistently. I like medium rare but she likes well done.

Well done is so hard for most places, they really don't want to throw away an expensive steak so it always comes out medium and it always goes back, frustrating.

I've been using up C-man gift cards and been thinking about Lago. Now I'm a little nervous. She loves veal pajamas, but she will not be happy if they send chicken. Maybe the Tilt'n diner is a better choice, can't screw up shepard's pie.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Altonbayicefishingfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
VERY well stated Hilltopper !!
X2!

I think Alex should focus on the establishments he has going and stop opening more like he's in a marathon....
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Altonbayicefishingfool For This Useful Post:
Kasey (08-17-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Newbiesaukee

@JRC..."She loves veal pajamas, but she will not be happy if they send chicken."

WOW! Wonder what my wife's response would be if I suggested she try veal pajamas, much less the chicken? Probably a night in the dog house.

I hate autofill!

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Why can't restaurants get steaks right, it is so frustrating. Even pricey steak places can't get it right consistently. I like medium rare but she likes well done.

Well done is so hard for most places, they really don't want to throw away an expensive steak so it always comes out medium and it always goes back, frustrating.

I've been using up C-man gift cards and been thinking about Lago. Now I'm a little nervous. She loves veal pajamas, but she will not be happy if they send chicken. Maybe the Tilt'n diner is a better choice, can't screw up shepard's pie.
Sounds like something Lady Gaga would order and like!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Shore Driver

Lago has always been an apps/drinks choice for us. And at that, they are just fine. The patio is a great place on a summer evening.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shore Driver For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-27-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

We figured out a long time ago that you need to sit at the bar to get the good stuff......
When you are at the bar you are in the servers face the whole time so if it isn't what you want they know they will hear about it a lot sooner.

Sit at the bar next time.......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
rgilfert

Default Completely Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Driver View Post
Lago has always been an apps/drinks choice for us. And at that, they are just fine. The patio is a great place on a summer evening.
We were thrilled when Lago started serving lunch again! We've been there three times for lunch this summer and have thoroughly enjoyed it each time. We almost always get a couple of apps & a drink (versus an entre). That said.....when we were there earlier this week you could have fired a canon inside without fear of hitting anyone. Based upon the poor turn out....I wouldn't be surprised if they were considering stopping offering lunch again.
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
wishiwasthere

Default We love Lago!

I only went once this vacation, but my family went a total of 5 times! I don't eat out often anymore because I have a gluten intolerance. They serve gluten free pasta so I gave it a go. It was fabulous. Everyone enjoyed their apps, drinks and meals. Even my Mother in Law who needs food to be boiling hot! I loved it the past couple of years too, when I could eat anything. I think people should give it another try.
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool View Post
X2!

I think Alex should focus on the establishments he has going and stop opening more like he's in a marathon....
In this economy anyone creating jobs should be commended and encouraged.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
jkjoshuatree

Default I Agree With Shore Driver and Lakesrider

I've eaten there at least a dozen times and you can't go wrong eating apps and having a few drinks outside on the patio.

The calamari/artichoke app is delish!!! And they used to have a tomato basil mozz salad that was very good!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
Kasey

Default Lago

We reluctantly agreed to meet friends at Lago's a few weeks ago for drinks and apps. We arrived just before 5:30 but still had to wait an hour and a half for a table outside. A flat bread pizza, salad, a side order of meatballs and a bottle of moderately priced wine, all shared, cost us a C Note!

I would not have waited for a table unless we were meeting people, but while standing around I watched people eating their dinners using dirty chairs for tables and/or balancing their plates on their knees. I wondered why people don't demand better for themselves and continue to pay high prices for mediocre food (at best)and poor treatment. Really, couldn't The Common Man buy some small tables to keep on hand for people who are sitting in chairs balancing their food and drinks? How about a side of dignity with your dinner, madam/sir?

The Common Man could use some common competition in this area. We'd all be better for it.
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kasey For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (08-17-2012), Seaplane Pilot (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
In this economy anyone creating jobs should be commended and encouraged.
According to POTUS, Mr. Alex can't take credit for creating his business or creating jobs. Regardless, Lago is a poor excuse for an Italian restaurant. It makes Olive Garden look like 5 star dining.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (08-23-2012), Kasey (08-22-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default TomC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
the location is excellent and i am disappointed that Lago has gone downhill. i ordered a steak medium, and it came out (very) rare.. Should be no big deal to fix, so i sent it back to be cooked a bit longer. by the time it was returned, it was (very) well done and the side dishes were cold. so i told them to start over. by the time i saw a meal, the rest of my family was done and already ordered dessert. they put the meal in a doggie bag, and comp'd it, but the dinner was a failure at that point
You describe the same exact thing that has been happening to me at Longhorns. After spending the $50 gift card they sent me and again over cooking my steak I will never return. My wife loves them but she gets tips med-well. I'm a med-rare more on the rare side guy.
We went to Sunnivilla last W/E with friends and I had the same problem. I asked for rare and got slightly over cooked med.
I don't remember the last time I got a steak cook even close to the way I want it in the lakes region unless it was off my own grill.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #20
rick35

Default T-Bones

We went to the Laconia restaurant a couple of times this summer and i had their NY strip both times. They were cooked to perfection. They have a a lot of good options on their menu but the first time was so good i had to have the steak the second time.

We've had overcooked steaks at Longhorn but found that it happens and they always make it right. But you have to let them know. I hate to say it but we've had several comped meals. We like their cuts of meat and keep going back.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #21
Heaven

Restaurants should post their description of what they consider rare through well on the menu, and should be able to prepare their steaks to that scale 98% of the time. In my experience the scale is not the same all over the country, so people need to know what they are ordering.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
Waterbaby

Default Veal Pajamas

Sorry, I still want to know what that means............ what kind of a veal dish is that? lol
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #23
jrc

Veal Pajamas is slang for veal parmesan, which is veal breaded, and covered with sauce and mozarella cheese.

Once burned by a steak house, I remember and order one step more rare. They can always bring it up a step. Personally I find that most places cook too rare. I order medium-rare and get cold center a lot. She order well and get medium, with a pink center.

The wikipedia seem to match what I was taught:

Extra-rare or Blue (bleu) very red and cold
Rare (saignant) cold red center; soft
Medium rare (à point) warm red center; firmer
Medium (demi-anglais) pink and firm
Medium well (cuit) small amount of pink in the center
Well done (bien cuit) gray-brown throughout; firm

The server can cause overcooked by taking too long to get you your food, it cooks on the counter. Only the chef can undercook.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #24
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Veal Pajamas is slang for veal parmesan, which is veal breaded, and covered with sauce and mozarella cheese.

Once burned by a steak house, I remember and order one step more rare. They can always bring it up a step. Personally I find that most places cook too rare. I order medium-rare and get cold center a lot. She order well and get medium, with a pink center.

The wikipedia seem to match what I was taught:

Extra-rare or Blue (bleu) very red and cold
Rare (saignant) cold red center; soft
Medium rare (à point) warm red center; firmer
Medium (demi-anglais) pink and firm
Medium well (cuit) small amount of pink in the center
Well done (bien cuit) gray-brown throughout; firm

The server can cause overcooked by taking too long to get you your food, it cooks on the counter. Only the chef can undercook.
Where do you go to get your beef under cooked? I cannot find a place that doesn't over cook my beef.
I constantly order med-rare, more on the rare side and usually get med-well.
I've totally given up on Longhorns, T-bones and recently had the same problem on a visit to Sunny villa in Ossipee where I asked for rare and got medium. There is nothing worse then spending good money on a rib-eye and cooking all the flavor out of it.
I've given up, and now just stay home and cook my steak the way I want it.

Oh as for Lago, been there twice and it never really impressed me enough to want to deal with the Meredith traffic and go back.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #25
jrc

A few weeks ago, the first time in a long time, I sent a rib-eye back at Longhorn. It was very rare. Usually normal rare to medium rare in good tasty steak is fine.

I have a C-man gift card with cash still on it, I've been thinking about Lago, given they have their own dock. I know I will get a good meal at Giuseppe's, decisions, decisions...
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #26
lovetheforum

We have always gone to Lago as a meeting place with friends for drinks and apps. The carbonara is hit or miss. When its a hit its really good!
lovetheforum is offline   Reply With Quote