Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
IslandRadio

Question Electric Jet Ski ! Anyone here have one?

I was going to take on a bold project and convert a standard jet ski (PWC) from gas powered to electric.

As I was researching parts, etc. I discovered, much to my surprise, that you can actually purchase an electric PWC - albeit, for a lot of money (something like $24,000).

It took most of the wind out of my "build an electric jet ski" sail, because much of the thrill of such a project is that it had not been done before..

Anyway, that being said, does anyone here have one of these new electric PWCs ? Just curious.

I really cannot stand the sound of gas PWCs, and would never inflict this on anyone else, but a silent electric model - that I would use !
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I don't have one, but I gave them a little look when I was researching my new ski. This is what I found: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/2...electric-specs.

I couldn't get past the 2-hour max battery to research capacity, controls, storage, etc.

About the same time, I read about Sea-Doo revealing a prototype. That's here: https://plugboats.com/seadoo-showcas...ectric-jetski/.

My 4-stroke Sea-Doo is no louder than any regular boat motor, and MUCH quieter than the go-fast boats, so that doesn't bother me, but if I could avoid fuel and maintenance and get a full day's ride, I'd consider electric. Until then, it's petrol for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
FlyingScot

I have an electric car and an electric outboard on my sailboat. One thing I did not fully appreciate before buying is the peacefulness of operating without internal combustion. With all due respect to Think's "quiet" jet ski, an electric will have ZERO noise, ZERO engine vibration. I think you'll be shocked by how much you like it if you try the jet ski.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I have an electric car and an electric outboard on my sailboat. One thing I did not fully appreciate before buying is the peacefulness of operating without internal combustion. With all due respect to Think's "quiet" jet ski, an electric will have ZERO noise, ZERO engine vibration. I think you'll be shocked by how much you like it if you try the jet ski.
I always loved slalom water skiing, You feel like you are flying when you slalom on glass water. Such an amazing feeling. I think because that past history I always found Jet Skies were boring and pointless. More useful for a quick life guard rescue than anything. I think if you never slalomed on glass you would never understand.

But some day I would love to get an electric surfboard or electric hydrofoil. Lot cheaper than an electric jet ski and looks like a lot more fun. Looks like you could get the same feeling as slalom skiing. And not have to depend on anyone to go do it when the water is right. And quiet as not to disturb anyone. Probably very little wake too. The hydro’s look a bit dangerous though, in that the foil can hit you. We had an air chair for years and loved it, but you were strapped to it so it could not hit you. But still had some spectacular wipe outs

Check out these videos.

https://youtu.be/gLiqeiOB3ks

https://youtu.be/HLKJV_MtoSE

We have 2 EV’s a Model X and a Chevy Volt, two EV Bikes both Raleigh Detour (love them). And we have solar panels to power everything. Our total energy cost is negative $2000/yr (yes, we make money due to incentive programs, also X includes free Super Charging).
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-16-2020), FlyingScot (08-16-2020), Top-Water (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
Dad sold the C * C

We are in the process of changing a 1964 Whaler to electric. It's not for the faint of heart cost wise if you want to go all in. We are using a 20 HP Elco outboard with two 48 volt Lithium Ion batteries from a company called Lithionics.

The big issue is the battery weight.... and cost. We hoped to have it this year but the Marina doing this for us has had some supply problems due to Covid19. I was planning on starting a post about this as we got a bit further into the project.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad sold the C * C View Post
We are in the process of changing a 1964 Whaler to electric. It's not for the faint of heart cost wise if you want to go all in. We are using a 20 HP Elco outboard with two 48 volt Lithium Ion batteries from a company called Lithionics.

The big issue is the battery weight.... and cost. We hoped to have it this year but the Marina doing this for us has had some supply problems due to Covid19. I was planning on starting a post about this as we got a bit further into the project.
That's cool! If you were doing it yourself, I'd ask if could come over and have a look at what you're doing.

That's really excellent.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #7
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
That's cool! If you were doing it yourself, I'd ask if could come over and have a look at what you're doing.

That's really excellent.
Although I loath anyone or anything that intentionally makes a bigger wake, this is pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T_hitgZoak
Old 08-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
XCR-700

Not a big jet ski person, but the thoughts of an electric anything motor boating is so depressing to me.

I LOVE the sound and the vibration of the motor, its part of the experience.

You become one with the machine, I can feel when an engine hits its sweet-spot, and like riding a horse as it transitions from trot to gallop to full run, feeling the engine accelerate through its RPM range is just thrilling.

When we all ran pre-mix and "white gas" (or any good gas before the change to unleaded) I LOVED the smell of an outboard and a marina. I smelled and sounded like FUN.

Boating with and electric motor might be fine for a tour boat, but for anything I would feel like some major fun part was missing, and for a personal watercraft it would seem doubly so. Like trying to sell a Harley rider on an electric motor, just dont see that taking off.

But then the way the world is going, my guess is that if they can add a booming sound system and selfie camera, then it will probably be a hit.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Reilly (08-17-2020), SAMIAM (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Not a big jet ski person, but the thoughts of an electric anything motor boating is so depressing to me.

You become one with the machine, I can feel when an engine hits its sweet-spot, and like riding a horse as it transitions from trot to gallop to full run, feeling the engine accelerate through its RPM range is just thrilling.

When we all ran pre-mix and "white gas" (or any good gas before the change to unleaded) I LOVED the smell of an outboard and a marina. I smelled and sounded like FUN.

Boating with and electric motor might be fine for a tour boat, but for anything I would feel like some major fun part was missing, and for a personal watercraft it would seem doubly so. Like trying to sell a Harley rider on an electric motor, just dont see that taking off.

But then the way the world is going, my guess is that if they can add a booming sound system and selfie camera, then it will probably be a hit.
All the more a hit when the manufacturers add fake engine and exhaust sound systems. You’ll never hear the difference. Maybe they’ll also add some scent diffusers to give you that heady marina smell.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #10
8gv

Ahhhh... "I love the smell of two stroke exhaust in the morning!"
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
FlyingScot

Quote:

I'm a car guy who started with a Plymouth Barracuda and finished with 5 BMWs, most of them stick. So gas was in my veins, but I can only say you need to try it before you feel sorry for yourself. EVs are not just for tree huggers. The instant torque gives you a jump off the line better than anything short of an exotic. The self-braking motor--as you lift your foot off the accelerator the motor spins in reverse to recharge the battery--gives you an even better sense of control than a clutch. It feels like you're piloting a spaceship rather than trudging over land. For a person who loves performance and control, gas engines are yesterday's news.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
All the more a hit when the manufacturers add fake engine and exhaust sound systems. You’ll never hear the difference. Maybe they’ll also add some scent diffusers to give you that heady marina smell.
Well maybe if they can also add some vibration and a variable acceleration to mimic the torque/power curve of the ICE motor ;-)

But then what about the human element, the banter you have at the gas docks, the discussions with the mechanic about if yours is better then the new one, or if the new one is worth the upgrade. Oh, and dont forget the evil eye looks from onlookers if you premix is too heavy, always enjoyed that, well until the plugs fouled out,,, :-)

Last edited by XCR-700; 08-16-2020 at 09:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #13
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Ahhhh... "I love the smell of two stroke exhaust in the morning!"
It smells like,,, FUN!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #14
XCR-700

Unhappy

Quote:
I'm a car guy who started with a Plymouth Barracuda and finished with 5 BMWs, most of them stick. So gas was in my veins, but I can only say you need to try it before you feel sorry for yourself. EVs are not just for tree huggers. The instant torque gives you a jump off the line better than anything short of an exotic. The self-braking motor--as you lift your foot off the accelerator the motor spins in reverse to recharge the battery--gives you an even better sense of control than a clutch. It feels like you're piloting a spaceship rather than trudging over land. For a person who loves performance and control, gas engines are yesterday's news.
I have tried them and HATED it, a slower muscle car grinding through the gears is SOOOOO much more fun to me than stepping on a throttle switch.

But I fully admit to being a dinosaur, I have no use for BMWs Acuras Porsche's or anything with high techno babble gizmos even when they are faster and more reliable and more efficient and actually better. I will even admit that in some ways they are better, but I HATE the whole modern and electric car experience.

I miss high beam switches on the floor, pulling the headlight switch out, the clickity click feel of the heater fan switch. I truly miss roll up manual windows, though I do have to admit to liking electric locks,,,

I have never driven anything with an internal shifter that felt as good as an 833, and you need an arm wrestlers arm to shift a Mopar. So dont even think of comparing a Tremec equipped anything to an old Camaro with a Super T-10, and with an electric you dont even have a transmission,,, Thats just flat out wrong!

The total lack of throttle feedback in any modern car is just so wrong to me I feel like I am driving a video game. And the hydraulic clutch only adds to the problem. A mechanical clutch linkage and cable throttle gave such precise feedback you could take off from a stop and not tell it was manual if you practiced just a little.

I would gladly trade my "new" Challenger for an equivalent original, just for the nostalgia of the finicky cold start procedure we all just lived with a generation ago. Where as today, I just push the start button. Its totally uninspiring,,,

When I reach the point of not being able to drive safely, I will just give up and it wont matter if the self driving car is gas or electric, but for now, I would sooner have a pull start 2-stroke go kart with points and condenser and rusted muffler than a Tesla, its just not fun.

But for those who a car is just transportation, then a self-driving electric probably makes a lot of sense. Its just not for me, I'm way too curmudgeonly to have a giant iPad on my dashboard where my 8-Track tape player should be. :
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Cobalt (08-19-2020), FlyingScot (08-17-2020), Reilly (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 12:58 AM   #15
mswlogo

Quote:
I agree. Don’t miss fumes and oil changes one bit.

I started with a 69 Dodge Charger.
Had Audi’s and VW’s all with sticks.
Never buy another VW / Audi after diesel gate.
Never got sucked into a new “Pony” car.

Had a Model 3 Performance. I liked it a lot but it was a bit loud on the highway and stiff suspension got old. Switched to a non performance Model X, much more comfy. So much less tiring driving up to the lakes on AutoPilot.

Absolutely amazing vehicle. Makes everything else seem so archaic. When I drive my wife’s Volt I’m all over the road, I’m so used to the car doing the driving. Incredible in the snow too.

I love doggie mode.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:12 AM   #16
ApS

Cool ...Other than Missing Castrol "R"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I always loved slalom water skiing, You feel like you are flying when you slalom on glass water. Such an amazing feeling. I think because that past history I always found Jet Skies were boring and pointless. More useful for a quick life guard rescue than anything. I think if you never slalomed on glass you would never understand.

But some day I would love to get an electric surfboard or electric hydrofoil. Lot cheaper than an electric jet ski
and looks like a lot more fun. Looks like you could get the same feeling as slalom skiing. And not have to depend on anyone to go do it when the water is right. And quiet as not to disturb anyone. Probably very little wake too. The hydro’s look a bit dangerous though, in that the foil can hit you. We had an air chair for years and loved it, but you were strapped to it so it could not hit you. But still had some spectacular wipe outs

Check out these videos.

https://youtu.be/gLiqeiOB3ks
https://youtu.be/HLKJV_MtoSE
We have 2 EV’s a Model X and a Chevy Volt, two EV Bikes both Raleigh Detour (love them). And we have solar panels to power everything. Our total energy cost is negative $2000/yr (yes, we make money due to incentive programs, also X includes free Super Charging).
Under $12,000.

There's an introductory sale on electric surfboard-foils: $3500. (Or you can build them using new parts).

Winter Harbor has three of 'em that come out when the oversized boats have left for the day.

The operators appear to be very accomplished at control, which is something the reviewers suggest takes over an hour to learn. (About the amount of time needed for a recharge).

https://www.realwatersports.com/prod...n=kiteboarding

Last edited by ApS; 08-24-2020 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Castrol "R"--Not Quaker State "R"...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:09 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So electric Jet skis, electric boats... etc. etc.
Here is the thing They have to be charged. Do we really want charging stations down by the water?

Come one folks there are somethings that from a safety standpoint don't make sense....
Old 08-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #18
dippasan

IMHO the conversion to electric/battery operated water craft and boats is inevitable and has begun. I think it will be the next big advance in boating technology.
Technology improvements in batteries and electric motors has exploded and makes it feasible though expensive for now. This said, I love internal combustion everything! Boats, snowmobiles, cars, trucks, tractors, dirt bikes, street bikes etc for all the reasons mentioned above.

A few things to consider:
-Electric motors generate most of their torque at start up. (perfect for water skiing and for those that like gut wrenching acceleration)
-No gas to pollute the water
-No oil (both 2 stroke and/or engine crankcase oil)
-Possibly no drive oil
-No power steering fluid
-No noise
-No coolant
-No exhaust
-Minimal maintenance
Old 08-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
IMHO the conversion to electric/battery operated water craft and boats is inevitable and has begun. I think it will be the next big advance in boating technology.
Technology improvements in batteries and electric motors has exploded and makes it feasible though expensive for now. This said, I love internal combustion everything! Boats, snowmobiles, cars, trucks, tractors, dirt bikes, street bikes etc for all the reasons mentioned above.

A few things to consider:
-Electric motors generate most of their torque at start up. (perfect for water skiing and for those that like gut wrenching acceleration)
-No gas to pollute the water
-No oil (both 2 stroke and/or engine crankcase oil)
-Possibly no drive oil
-No power steering fluid
-No noise
-No coolant
-No exhaust
-Minimal maintenance
Just because the discussion is inevitable, doesn't mean that it is the correct thing to do. There are some myths in things you point out....

- Power stearing fluid, even electric cars have power steering it is just run off an electic pump... electric boat motors would still have to have this.... No coolant in a boat, there will likely still be need to cool the electric engine...
... Drive oil will still be needed if there is any type of gearing....

Other points I agree with you on....

I am all for electric or hybrid cars... they make sense... Electric boats jet ski etc. just don't The power that Marina, already have on the water is scary enough... We need high powered charging stations at every personal dock... I am sorry I just see how that can be safe.....
Old 08-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #20
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So electric Jet skis, electric boats... etc. etc.
Here is the thing They have to be charged. Do we really want charging stations down by the water?

Come one folks there are somethings that from a safety standpoint don't make sense....
I don't know the technical specifics, but electric car chargers are "waterproof". They live outside, you can use one in a downpour, etc. When electric jet skis and boats are available broadly, we will have chargers that are safer than the normal dockside receptacles we have today.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #21
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Just because the discussion is inevitable, doesn't mean that it is the correct thing to do. There are some myths in things you point out....

- Power stearing fluid, even electric cars have power steering it is just run off an electic pump... electric boat motors would still have to have this.... No coolant in a boat, there will likely still be need to cool the electric engine...

Other points I agree with you on....

I am all for electric or hybrid cars... they make sense... Electric boats jet ski etc. just don't The power that Marina, already have on the water is scary enough... We need high powered charging stations at every personal dock... I am sorry I just see how that can be safe.....

Electronic power steering uses no fluids so there are no hoses, no pump, no leaks and no maintenance. Also, power comes from the battery and charging system rather than a belt-driven pump, so electric steering requires less horsepower from the engine
Old 08-17-2020, 11:10 PM   #22
8gv

Quote:
I have tried them and HATED it, a slower muscle car grinding through the gears is SOOOOO much more fun to me than stepping on a throttle switch.

But I fully admit to being a dinosaur, I have no use for BMWs Acuras Porsche's or anything with high techno babble gizmos even when they are faster and more reliable and more efficient and actually better. I will even admit that in some ways they are better, but I HATE the whole modern and electric car experience.

I miss high beam switches on the floor, pulling the headlight switch out, the clickity click feel of the heater fan switch. I truly miss roll up manual windows, though I do have to admit to liking electric locks,,,

I have never driven anything with an internal shifter that felt as good as an 833, and you need an arm wrestlers arm to shift a Mopar. So dont even think of comparing a Tremec equipped anything to an old Camaro with a Super T-10, and with an electric you dont even have a transmission,,, Thats just flat out wrong!

The total lack of throttle feedback in any modern car is just so wrong to me I feel like I am driving a video game. And the hydraulic clutch only adds to the problem. A mechanical clutch linkage and cable throttle gave such precise feedback you could take off from a stop and not tell it was manual if you practiced just a little.

I would gladly trade my "new" Challenger for an equivalent original, just for the nostalgia of the finicky cold start procedure we all just lived with a generation ago. Where as today, I just push the start button. Its totally uninspiring,,,

When I reach the point of not being able to drive safely, I will just give up and it wont matter if the self driving car is gas or electric, but for now, I would sooner have a pull start 2-stroke go kart with points and condenser and rusted muffler than a Tesla, its just not fun.

But for those who a car is just transportation, then a self-driving electric probably makes a lot of sense. Its just not for me, I'm way too curmudgeonly to have a giant iPad on my dashboard where my 8-Track tape player should be. :
You forgot to mention the spark advance lever on your steering wheel.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #23
FlyingScot

Quote:

Electronic power steering uses no fluids so there are no hoses, no pump, no leaks and no maintenance. Also, power comes from the battery and charging system rather than a belt-driven pump, so electric steering requires less horsepower from the engine
This is definitely true for electric cars, and it shows in the maintenance. I've had my Tesla for a bit more than 3 years. I called them on my first anniversary about a PM visit--they said, "Well, if you insist...". Of course, they did virtually nothing. Replaced the tires at 35 or 40K. Now with 50K miles, I think I should bring it in so they can check brakes, but it's kind of humorous to look at their list of PM suggestions.

Overall, I've skipped over 100 times pumping gas, 5 or 10 oil changes, and several other pain in the butt PM visits. It's like maintaining a bicycle.

Concur on the coolant too--there is none. EVs do not even need a grill
Old 08-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #24
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
You forgot to mention the spark advance lever on your steering wheel.
Cant say I have touched that one, BUT,,,

Once upon a time I was pretty good at setting the old dual-points in my hotrods, didnt even need a dwell meter (for those who even remember them)

AND,,,

I had a Plymouth Duster that had a foot pump on the floor for the windshield washer (no electric motor, let alone the control on a lever on the steering column)

Oh, and let me not forget the time my father towed me home with a tow chain while I drove a soon to be race car that was in reality a shell of a stripped out car with no seats (I actually sat on a upside down milk crate) and no lights, and NO brakes, only the pull handle for the rear parking brake,,, It was only like a 10 mile trip down the highway and a few back roads,,,

You cant make a story like that up, you had to live it ;-)
Old 08-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #25
XCR-700

Quote:
This is definitely true for electric cars, and it shows in the maintenance. I've had my Tesla for a bit more than 3 years. I called them on my first anniversary about a PM visit--they said, "Well, if you insist...". Of course, they did virtually nothing. Replaced the tires at 35 or 40K. Now with 50K miles, I think I should bring it in so they can check brakes, but it's kind of humorous to look at their list of PM suggestions.

Overall, I've skipped over 100 times pumping gas, 5 or 10 oil changes, and several other pain in the butt PM visits. It's like maintaining a bicycle.

Concur on the coolant too--there is none. EVs do not even need a grill
Just curious and I truly dont know the answer, but if you keep it to the point where the batteries/battery pack needs to be replaced, did they tell you what the cost is?
Old 08-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #26
FlyingScot

Quote:
Just curious and I truly dont know the answer, but if you keep it to the point where the batteries/battery pack needs to be replaced, did they tell you what the cost is?
As I understand it, the batteries should last hundreds of thousands of miles, and they cost $3-7K or so to replace. On a related note, the cost of electricity is about 1/3 the cost of gas on a per mile basis. So if we're saving something like $0.10/mile, that's $20,000 just in gas by the time we hit 200K miles.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #27
XCR-700

Quote:
As I understand it, the batteries should last hundreds of thousands of miles, and they cost $3-7K or so to replace. On a related note, the cost of electricity is about 1/3 the cost of gas on a per mile basis. So if we're saving something like $0.10/mile, that's $20,000 just in gas by the time we hit 200K miles.
Did they indicate if there was also a time frame for battery replacement, 5 years, 10, 20? Also did you have to do any special wiring at home to charge it or does it just plug into some existing outlet.

I will be needing another car for #2 son maybe next year, and neither of my kids share my love of mechanical things and motors, so if the total cost and service life is right I will consider all options for them.

For me, I'll keep my RAM 2500 and keep my eyes open for maybe an early 70's Chrysler Imperial or New Yorker, something made of metal, that I can fix myself, that has style. AND has that beautiful sound of a fire breathing mega cubic inch 4-Bbl V-8 beast ;-)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #28
FlyingScot

Quote:
Did they indicate if there was also a time frame for battery replacement, 5 years, 10, 20? Also did you have to do any special wiring at home to charge it or does it just plug into some existing outlet.

I will be needing another car for #2 son maybe next year, and neither of my kids share my love of mechanical things and motors, so if the total cost and service life is right I will consider all options for them.

For me, I'll keep my RAM 2500 and keep my eyes open for maybe an early 70's Chrysler Imperial or New Yorker, something made of metal, that I can fix myself, that has style. AND has that beautiful sound of a fire breathing mega cubic inch 4-Bbl V-8 beast ;-)
I think I have an 8 year guarantee.

You'll want to install a charger on a 220 line. I think that's about $2K including labor.

In addition to Tesla, which starts in the 40s so might be pricey for your son, there's also the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, and VW is launching next year (at least in Europe, not sure about US).

Here's a great website to learn more https://electrek.co/

I'm thinking a charger for your son, and a Charger for you!
Old 08-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #29
XCR-700

Quote:
I think I have an 8 year guarantee.

You'll want to install a charger on a 220 line. I think that's about $2K including labor.

In addition to Tesla, which starts in the 40s so might be pricey for your son, there's also the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, and VW is launching next year (at least in Europe, not sure about US).

Here's a great website to learn more https://electrek.co/

I'm thinking a charger for your son, and a Charger for you!
Well 8 years is pretty good so long as thats not a pro-rate warranty like regular batteries.

As for a Charger for me, I currently have a video game-like 2011 Challenger, but if I were looking for an original,,, maybe a 1970 GTX. They looked sooooo cool.

Dont understand why the car makers have such boring cookie cutter designs these days. They are so uninteresting to me. I mean really, would it kill them to make an interesting wheel opening in the fender or quarter panel, anything better than the perfect circle cutout,,,

Maybe I expect too much, but in 2020 you would think the average car would be at least as attractive as they were in 1970's.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #30
FlyingScot

Quote:

Maybe I expect too much, but in 2020 you would think the average car would be at least as attractive as they were in 1970's.
Yes! It is shocking how car design is so weak today. I saw a 70s era Stingray a week ago in Moultonborough, and I was stunned--beautiful proportions, timeless beauty.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 10:09 PM   #31
XCR-700

Quote:
I saw a 70s era Stingray a week ago in Moultonborough, and I was stunned--beautiful proportions, timeless beauty.
timeless beauty - cant agree more!

The new Corvette looks like a true Supercar, but it has lost something, and that something is timeless beauty.

And its the same across all the manufacturers, way too many bland and uninteresting designs. The are setting us up for the day when sefl-driving cars are part of the infrastructure and no one has a personal automobile.

Thats when RUSH's Red Barchetta transitions from song to real life,,, Hopefully after my time here,,,
Old 08-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #32
Cobalt

Quote:
I bought a 1966 Corvette convertible in 1970 at the age of 21. Side exhausts, 4 speed, hot, rough ride, no ac, and the only power option was the antenna.

The closest ride to a Harley on four wheels. Not for everyone, but neither is a Harley. I drove it last week at 71. The only difference, tougher for me to get in and out. But, that's on me.

Memories: Priceless.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobalt For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-19-2020), XCR-700 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:07 AM   #33
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I bought a 1966 Corvette convertible in 1970 at the age of 21. Side exhausts, 4 speed, hot, rough ride, no ac, and the only power option was the antenna.

I drove it last week at 71.
And I'll bet you were grinning ear to ear!

Enjoy every moment, it really doesnt get any better than that.

ATB
Old 08-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #34
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:

The closest ride to a Harley on four wheels. Not for everyone, but neither is a Harley. I drove it last week at 71. The only difference, tougher for me to get in and out. But, that's on me.

Memories: Priceless.
You wouldn't happen to be in Moultonboro just before the Long Island bridge?

Last edited by Biggd; 08-19-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #35
Cobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You wouldn't happen to be in Moultonboro just before the Long Island bridge?

That's the one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-20-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #36
dippasan

Quote:
timeless beauty - cant agree more!

The new Corvette looks like a true Supercar, but it has lost something, and that something is timeless beauty.

And its the same across all the manufacturers, way too many bland and uninteresting designs. The are setting us up for the day when sefl-driving cars are part of the infrastructure and no one has a personal automobile.

Thats when RUSH's Red Barchetta transitions from song to real life,,, Hopefully after my time here,,,
"Down in his barn, my uncle preserved for me an old machine, for 50 odd years. To keep it as new has been his dearest dream". Outstanding car song written by Rush's now deceased drummer Neil Peart.

I've owned several old Mustangs. One was a red 66 Fastback that I restored myself and took to car shows and cruise nights. One day at a car show a little boy (maybe 4-5 years old) holding his Dad's hand walks up to my car and says "Dad....look....a Mustang". Everyone, young, old, knows a Mustang, a Corvette, a 442, a Nova etc. I doubt, 25 years from now a 5 year old will look at a Honda Accord (nice car don't get me wrong) and say "Look Dad...a Honda Accord". I'm a car guy and I can hardly tell any of the cars apart today. They just don't stir the senses much anymore
rander7823 (08-25-2020), XCR-700 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #37
Biggd

Quote:
That's the one.
I sent you a PM. Tom H and I came by your house last year. I knew there couldn't be too many guys up here with that same story, LOL. Dave S

Old 08-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #38
Cobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I sent you a PM. Tom H and I came by your house last year. I knew there couldn't be too many guys up here with that same story, LOL. Dave S

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you. Hopefully, I will get to see you and Tom in the near future.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #39
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

While sauntering in the wilderness this morning (https://www.etymonline.com/columns/p...d-'saunter'), I was thinking the only machine I might enjoy electric in my life (besides cordless tools) is a side-by-side. Mostly so I could replace my golf cart at camp, allowing me to cruise around camp, trailer my ski to the water, AND go for rides in Jericho.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #40
XCR-700

Quote:
"Down in his barn, my uncle preserved for me an old machine, for 50 odd years. To keep it as new has been his dearest dream". Outstanding car song written by Rush's now deceased drummer Neil Peart.

I've owned several old Mustangs. One was a red 66 Fastback that I restored myself and took to car shows and cruise nights. One day at a car show a little boy (maybe 4-5 years old) holding his Dad's hand walks up to my car and says "Dad....look....a Mustang". Everyone, young, old, knows a Mustang, a Corvette, a 442, a Nova etc. I doubt, 25 years from now a 5 year old will look at a Honda Accord (nice car don't get me wrong) and say "Look Dad...a Honda Accord". I'm a car guy and I can hardly tell any of the cars apart today. They just don't stir the senses much anymore
100% on the same page!
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
dippasan (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #41
Biggd

Quote:

Maybe your senses aren't what they use to be.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #42
salty dog

Default This is what's coming our way...

Had a '70 440 Roadrunner back in the day. I'd occasionally take it to Epping on grudge night; would run high 13's. I miss it dearly. However, a drive in this beast would be a whole new ball of torque! I'm sure I could get used to the banshee scream of the turbine-sounding motors vs. the roar of a big block.

https://www.motor1.com/news/400206/v...-mclaren-720s/
Old 08-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #43
WinnisquamZ

So jealous. A beast of a car. It was my wife’s college roommates daily driver in the late 70’s

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #44
NH.Solar

Its truly a great time to be a car guy and both electric and gas have their place. In my garage sits a 91 Miata, a Duramax, and a Chevy Volt and I'd hate to part with any of them.
The Duramax has been a beast and I've pulled some loads way over the 12K trailer rating with ease ...it does have upgraded brakes and a load equalizing hitch. I'll think about replacing it when someone finally comes out with a hybrid plug-in pickup where the electric motors are the front wheel drive system.
The Miata superceded two Factory Five cobras. The cobras were great fun and I thought they were absolutely the balls ....until I had a ride in a 347 monstered Miata. I bought my flawless low mileage Miata with the intention of immediately dropping a small block V8 in it but it has now been six years and over 100k miles with the stock motor and the car still makes me smile every time I drive it. Dropping from 390 rwh to 90 in the same weight vehicle does take its toll in acceleration but the snick-snick instant shifter action of the Miata makes rowing it down the road a blast. Motor and transmission are beginning to become a little tired however and it won't be long before a 525 hp LS3 crate engine is living under the hood.
I bought a low mileage Volt Premier in December to take the wear and tear off my Jimmy and be able to maximize my gain from the new solar system on my roof. The car is truly a delight to drive and easily is saving me $200 a month. This one was a lease turn in at Colonial Chevrolet, was flawless, had 24K miles on it, and was to me, really cheap! I wanted a Volt because of range anxiety and it has proved its worth time and time again. During the winter I ski Cannon 3-4 times a week and with a full charge it will go all the way up from my New Hampton home on electricity and the generator motor doesn't need to start until I'm somewhere around Campton on my return. When running on the generator the car still gets in excess of 40 miles a gallon. In summer I rarely need to put fuel in it at all and the fuel for my travels is coming mostly from my solar array.
Lastly and going back to the original subject Nautique is producing an electric ski boat now and here's the link. I hope that they will be following the wakeboard boat with a smaller much cheaper tournament boat soon, the boat is cool but that price, ouch!