Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
pjsad19

Default may derby

anyone know if the may fishing derby is on this year?
pjsad19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Doobs41378

I am not sure on the derby but congrats on your first post in the 6 years since you joined.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Google

May 19-21 2017
www.winniderby.org/
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Woody38

Default National School of Meat Cutting

I just read the story about Richard Davis. Noted he attended the National School of Meat Cutting in Toledo, Ohio.
Having been born and raised in Toledo it brought back memories, notably that I dated the daughter of the owner of the school he attended. Truly a wonderful family. Unfortunately I did not marry that great girl. Many fond memories.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
MikeF-NH

yes...it looks like the Laconia Rotary dropped it and it was picked up by Boy Scouts of America. BSA is very good at finding sponsorships so the # of sponsors will likely soar. Not sure it will get back to the heyday of daily and grand prizes but I would expect a fresh injection of enthusiasm for attracting sponsors. Sponsors' prizes bring more fishermen and thus an kick up of off season $$ into the lakes region. I'd like to see it spiral up like that and get back to near where it was when Rick ran the show.

BSA is also very good at focusing on bottom line. If they make very little for the amount of effort or even lose...they will drop this unceremoniously and I doubt other orgs will pick it up. Once its gone...its gone for good so this could be the Hail Mary for the derby.

Other than the monetary "lure", BSAs other motivator is recruitment. Unfortunately, I don't see how this type of fishing event would draw the age class into the org. I think the people who moved on it think of this as a typical "shoreline" event with kids lining the banks with Zebco 202s, a worm and bobber. This is more of a boating event (sure some could fish from bridges and public docks but lets face it...a very small % of derby goers. I'm not sure BSA would keep this for even average profit if it did not fit in with their Mission Statement. I hope I'm wrong and they get both $$ and recruitment numbers.

What I'd like to see them do is offer a third category of major prize for registered BSA members....that would bring out recruits and registered youth and adults.

Good luck this year everyone. See you in May!!
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links