Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
Senter Cove Guy

Default Truck Fire In Mirror Lake

Last night, on our trip up from CT, we were passing through Mirror Lake on route 109 at 11pm. We noticed a small fire in the back of a small pickup truck that was parked in a driveway in between a car and another pickup truck. I had my wife call 911 on her cell and I went to a nearby house and obtained a fire extinguisher. I was able to quickly extinquish the fire which had quickly doubled in size. It would not have taken too long before there could have been a major problem.

The cause of the fire was spontaneous combustion of some painter's rags that had been tightly wrapped and were sitting in the rear of the pickup truck bed. The truck bed and tailgate sustained some minor damage. Tuftonboro police and fire arrived within minutes.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Orion

Thumbs up Good job!

Nice work and quick thinking SCG! You saved that homeowner a lot of aggravation and $$!

You also saved us all some money by reducing the insurance payout. Glad nobody was hurt.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Coolbreeze

Linseed oil soaked rags are highly combustable. I have seen some pretty serious house fires caused by spontaniously combusting painters rags covered with linseed oil and turpentine. Nice stop senter cove guy! Put those rags in a firesafe can.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
Last night, on our trip up from CT, we were passing through Mirror Lake on route 109 at 11pm. We noticed a small fire in the back of a small pickup truck that was parked in a driveway in between a car and another pickup truck. I had my wife call 911 on her cell and I went to a nearby house and obtained a fire extinguisher. I was able to quickly extinquish the fire which had quickly doubled in size. It would not have taken too long before there could have been a major problem.

The cause of the fire was spontaneous combustion of some painter's rags that had been tightly wrapped and were sitting in the rear of the pickup truck bed. The truck bed and tailgate sustained some minor damage. Tuftonboro police and fire arrived within minutes.
Hope the insurance company appreciated your efforts and rewarded you appropriately.

Without the use of the extinguisher and the 911 call, three vehicles and a dwelling would not have been a good day for the insurance company, especially in these times.