Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
GTO

Default Then there were 3...

Three ice huts left in Meredith bay as of 6:00 tonight. A sure sign that Spring is here. Also a sign is the stack of pallets left on the ice by one "ice fisherman" after he removed his hut on Saturday.. idiot!
gravy boat (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
GTO

Default Thank you

Thank yu to the person that went out to clean up the idiots mess today. I went by around 6 and it was all cleaned up off the ice and put by the boat ramp. Sad when someone has to clean up after someone else. With all the warm weather I would not have felt safe going out that far on the ice to make that cleanup. Every boater should be thankful that they won't be hitting that debris in the spring
Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
SAB1

Maybe the guy that left them went out and grabbed them? Still plenty of ice out there.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-26-2019), ishoot308 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Spider Girl

Default Litter and Debris from Ice Houses

For the life of me, I don't understand why the State and/or town doesn't require the registration of ice houses. Implicit in the registration would be clean up at the end of the season. There could be some policing (matching ice house with number and location) during the season. Then, if the trash and debris is not removed when the ice house leaves, authorities would know whom to fine.

It is extremely thoughtless of people to think that it is all right to pollute the lakes or that someone else will just take care of their mess.
FlyingScot (03-25-2019), GTO (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Girl View Post
For the life of me, I don't understand why the State and/or town doesn't require the registration of ice houses. Implicit in the registration would be clean up at the end of the season. There could be some policing (matching ice house with number and location) during the season. Then, if the trash and debris is not removed when the ice house leaves, authorities would know whom to fine.

It is extremely thoughtless of people to think that it is all right to pollute the lakes or that someone else will just take care of their mess.

It could be difficult to enforce but I am absolutely with you on this. It completely disrespectful for people to leave there crap on the ice for others to clean up later in addition to damage that can be caused to boats and individuals after ice out.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
SAB1

Somewhat agree. No need for leaving trash on the ice. However, if you ice fish and have a bob house it’s not uncommon for them to moved a few times during the winter so enforcement would be tough.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Pretty simple

It's pretty simple: if you go backpacking, what you carry in, you pack out.

When you bring a bob house out on the ice, you pack everything back in when you leave.

If you see someone not bringing all their stuff off the lake, take a picture of them, and if possible, a picture of them at their vehicle. Send to F&G or NHMP.

Dave
Old 03-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

When you bring a bob house out on the ice, you pack everything back in when you leave.

If you see someone not bringing all their stuff off the lake, take a picture of them, and if possible, a picture of them at their vehicle. Send to F&G or NHMP.

Dave
If F & G or NHMP issues a sticker or placard ( I am not opposed to a small fee as long as the funds stay with MP or F & G) the must be displayed on the bobhouse then all you would need to do is send them over the plate or card number and they can do the rest.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Litter all over

Litter is not just a problem on the ice. Snowmobile trails, ATV trails etc are losing mileage because landowners don't want to deal with the trash that is buried in the snow alongside the trails, and they lose landowner permission. The clubs work with the state on trail maintenance and they are enforcing carry in, carry out, with their members. A good plan.
I don't see that a new fee would be sufficient to hire additional CO's to work year round, and seasonal employees are very difficult to hire as we know from other threads.
As with many issues here, a few people draw a lot of irritated posts. I am always grateful to those who pick up the ice after otters and retrieve hazards to navigation after ice out.
From Parks and Rec, volunteer First Responders, Selectmen and legislators and "Friends of" groups, NH is run by volunteers. That's our heritage and our culture, and that's part of what makes NH a great state. More fees and licenses don't make me happy.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Litter is not just a problem on the ice. Snowmobile trails, ATV trails etc are losing mileage because landowners don't want to deal with the trash that is buried in the snow alongside the trails, and they lose landowner permission. The clubs work with the state on trail maintenance and they are enforcing carry in, carry out, with their members. A good plan.
I don't see that a new fee would be sufficient to hire additional CO's to work year round, and seasonal employees are very difficult to hire as we know from other threads.
As with many issues here, a few people draw a lot of irritated posts. I am always grateful to those who pick up the ice after otters and retrieve hazards to navigation after ice out.
From Parks and Rec, volunteer First Responders, Selectmen and legislators and "Friends of" groups, NH is run by volunteers. That's our heritage and our culture, and that's part of what makes NH a great state. More fees and licenses don't make me happy.
I am not saying a large fee, may 10.00 to provide a registration sticker that must be on the bobhouse just like a sled. This way it will aid us in self policing, just call MP or F & G when you see an infraction and it is easy id for them to do their job and enforce the laws including littering.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
Outdoorsman

Quote:

Dave
Surely you realize that it is not practical to "pack out" a BOBHOUSE each day.

Fee's are not the answer either unless you want every outdoor sport to rise in price so LE can hit the lakes in the winter to log each bobhouse. If they do not log them, they would never know who was there in the winter....

A couple of years ago I posted an article that was in the LADS referencing this very issue. It would seem that great improvements have been made, but it is the few that ruin it for the many.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ght=trash+lake
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Default Not daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Surely you realize that it is not practical to "pack out" a BOBHOUSE each day.

Fee's are not the answer either unless you want every outdoor sport to rise in price so LE can hit the lakes in the winter to log each bobhouse. If they do not log them, they would never know who was there in the winter....

A couple of years ago I posted an article that was in the LADS referencing this very issue. It would seem that great improvements have been made, but it is the few that ruin it for the many.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ght=trash+lake
Not daily. You put it out. When you are pulling the bob house to go elsewhere or call it a season, clean up the site and take your garbage with you; 2x4 blocks etc. I live in Alton Bay and know that we have a village on the ice. I also know that some leave junk behind when they pull the bob houses off the ice or move elsewhere.

Dave
Old 03-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I am not saying a large fee, may 10.00 to provide a registration sticker that must be on the bobhouse just like a sled. This way it will aid us in self policing, just call MP or F & G when you see an infraction and it is easy id for them to do their job and enforce the laws including littering.
OK. Let's say 5000 bob houses on 960 lakes. Nah, lets say 10,000 x $10. Enough to hire one full time CO with benefits and a vehicle. It is difficult to justify to the legislature that 2.5 months of ice fishing justifies that fee. These fishermen are already paying a fee for a fishing license. Why should they be charged more than a summer fisherman? Pretend you're on a legislative committee and ask the questions. There are many more. Just pretend and ask yourself.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 AM   #14
joey2665

I’m not saying it’s to hire another CO and a vehicle they have plenty already it’s merely for easy identification especially if a responsible person sees infractions and calls it in to the MP or FG.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

When we were kids we found all kinds of beer bottles and cans from the bob houses.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
upthesaukee

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
When we were kids we found all kinds of beer bottles and cans from the bob houses.
As a kid snorkling or scuba diving, we would occasionally find piles of beer cans and beer/soda bottles. Judging from the tightness of these piles, it would seem to indicate the location of a bobhouse, where these items were deep-sixed over the season.

Dave
Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
We still do....every spring there is a trail of discarded cans and bottles for a mile on our road. From the area where they park to the main road. Each spring a few of us walk the road with baggies and a truck .
FYI....Ice fisherman favorites are Bud, Bud Lite and Hard Iced Tea....usually fill up 6 to 8 bags
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
We still do....every spring there is a trail of discarded cans and bottles for a mile on our road. From the area where they park to the main road. Each spring a few of us walk the road with baggies and a truck .
FYI....Ice fisherman favorites are Bud, Bud Lite and Hard Iced Tea....usually fill up 6 to 8 bags
Not to mention IN the lake. We often cut our feet on old rusted out cans and broken bottles.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #19
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
How about the ones like me that don't drink? I don't appreciate being pooled in with pigs... by the way is it ice fishermen that drive the roads throwing trash out into the ditches?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #20
TheTimeTraveler

Maybe an easy solution would be to institute a deposit on cans and bottles like is done in several bordering states.

Suddenly those bottles and cans may disappear on their own and won't be left around anymore.....
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #21
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Maybe an easy solution would be to institute a deposit on cans and bottles like is done in several bordering states.

Suddenly those bottles and cans may disappear on their own and won't be left around anymore.....
Honestly do not think a deposit will help. If people are arrogant enough to leave their garbage they could care less about 5 cents
Old 03-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #22
upthesaukee

Default Kids money.

Quote:
Honestly do not think a deposit will help. If people are arrogant enough to leave their garbage they could care less about 5 cents
Growing up in MA more than 50 yrs ago, we picked bottles up and turned them in to get enough money for a soda and a candy bar.

Dave
Old 03-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #23
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Growing up in MA more than 50 yrs ago, we picked bottles up and turned them in to get enough money for a soda and a candy bar.

Dave
I don't think so. The deposit law passed in Massachusetts 37 years ago.

"The Massachusetts Bottle Bill (Mass. Bills H.2943/S.1588) is a container-deposit legislation dealing with recycling in the United States that originally passed in the U.S. state of Massachusetts in 1982 as the Beverage Container Recovery Law."
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Back in the early 1960's, I can remember taking green quart glass bottles of Canada Dry ginger ale back to the store, for a refund of 2-cents or 5-cents, depending on size, in the Boston and Nantasket areas. It was not required by Massachusetts law, and was just done that way for years and years and years with glass bottles, placed into all wood, bottle racks, and sent back to the bottler for cleaning and refill with a new bottle cap.

People would save their empty glass soda bottles for a month or two before taking them all back to the store. For some unknown reason, there were no returnable, hard liquor glass bottles? Maybe glass beer bottles were returnable?

Those were the days of Cub Scout bottle drives, where the local Cub Scout packs would hit the neighborhood, go knock on doors, and ask for empty glass soda and beer(?) bottles. People would rinse them out, otherwise they attracted bugs while sitting in the back porch, or somewhere.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #25
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

"The Massachusetts Bottle Bill (Mass. Bills H.2943/S.1588) is a container-deposit legislation dealing with recycling in the United States that originally passed in the U.S. state of Massachusetts in 1982 as the Beverage Container Recovery Law."
Before the law was passed in Massachusetts, some bottling companies ran their own redemption program. So, I think what upthesaukee is describing was certainly possible in Massachusetts more than 50 years ago.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #26
joey2665

Quote:

Dave

Same here but obviously the deposit charge has not increased with inflation.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #27
fatlazyless

In Maine, it's 15-cents for wine and beer containers, and Maine is talk'n about rais'n soda containers from 5 to 15-cents, too.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #28
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
Before the law was passed in Massachusetts, some bottling companies ran their own redemption program. So, I think what upthesaukee is describing was certainly possible in Massachusetts more than 50 years ago.
Correct

If ?? I am remembering correctly you could get .02 cents per glass bottle in the mid 1960's before they passed the bottle & can redemption laws we are familiar with today.

I only seem to remember it being available for the old tall green coke bottles.

Worth $55.00 now
https://www.ebay.com/i/153149500088?chn=ps

or ....... $2,400.00 for 200 bottles
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-COCA-CO...frcectupt=true
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #29
Top-Water

Quote:

but sadly I love it when I see a car going down the road with a "SAVE THE WHALES" bumper sticker and the Mac Donald's bag being tossed out the window at the same time, genuinely confused about that one.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #30
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
but sadly I love it when I see a car going down the road with a "SAVE THE WHALES" bumper sticker and the Mac Donald's bag being tossed out the window at the same time, genuinely confused about that one.
How often have you actually seen that?

If you say anything more than zero I am calling BS
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #31
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
How often have you actually seen that?

If you say anything less than zero I am calling BS
Excuse me .......sorry .......... I made a mistake, I should have stated it's a save the planet bumper sticker
Old 03-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #32
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Excuse me .......sorry .......... I made a mistake, I should have stated it's a save the planet bumper sticker
It's OK I'm sure they took the plastic straw out of the bag before tossing so it was fully biodegradable!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 AM   #33
wobbelbill

Quote:

Growing up in 50s and 60s -long before the "bottle bill" it certainly was possible-and if you lived near a grocery store and package store you could return almost every type bottle and pocket the (what seemed at the time) the wealth!

In last decade seems that many of bottle return companies have closed making it tougher for Massdachusettsians to turn in recyclables; I have heard the company "take" was a penny a unit to handle, and it was too little
wobbelbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #34
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbelbill View Post
Growing up in 50s and 60s -long before the "bottle bill" it certainly was possible-and if you lived near a grocery store and package store you could return almost every type bottle and pocket the (what seemed at the time) the wealth!

In last decade seems that many of bottle return companies have closed making it tougher for Massdachusettsians to turn in recyclables; I have heard the company "take" was a penny a unit to handle, and it was too little
I had one next door to my shop in Woburn but when their lease expired it closed as the owner remodeled the building and jacked up the rent.

But honestly I'm glad it's gone because it was patronized mostly by drunks. They would be there early in the morning turning in their empties then head over to the package store and wait for it to open at 10am.

The air is a little fresher too now that the smell of stale beer from the empties is gone.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #35
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:

There were definitely deposits on many glass bottles in Massachusetts before the Bottle Bill. When I was about 12 years old we used to go door to door with our wagons, offer to take their bottles and we'd take a load to A&P. That money paid for laps at the Slot Car (remember those?) track. That was about 53 years ago.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #36
Orion

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
There were definitely deposits on many glass bottles in Massachusetts before the Bottle Bill. When I was about 12 years old we used to go door to door with our wagons, offer to take their bottles and we'd take a load to A&P. That money paid for laps at the Slot Car (remember those?) track. That was about 53 years ago.
We must be close in age because I did the same things! And I used to hitchhike to the local slot car track.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #37
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
We must be close in age because I did the same things! And I used to hitchhike to the local slot car track.
Slot car racing was BIG back then. For anyone too young to remember here's some video:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #38
garysanfran

Default Great nostalgia...

Quote:
Slot car racing was BIG back then. For anyone too young to remember here's some video:

And everyone got a trophy!!!

Not a loser in the bunch and lots of mustaches...

What fun!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #39
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:

As was hitch hiking. When was the last time you saw a hitch hiker and why would anyone pick one up today?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #40
Orion

Default Noooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
And everyone got a trophy!!!

Not a loser in the bunch and lots of mustaches...

What fun!
Nope, back then you actually had to EARN a trophy! What a concept.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote