Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Just Wonderin

Default Artificial turf

Does anyone know of an artificial turf contractor in the Lakes Region that installs turf for residential applications? We have a very small area of grass that never looks good. No matter what we do, we can't fight back the weeds or moss. We were considering sod but figured that in no time at all, it would be experiencing the same problems that our current lawn has. We had seen artificial turf out in California at a home and it looked very realistic.

So, does anyone know of anyone we might be able to contact? Thanks!
Just Wonderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
songkrai

I hope someone can chime in with some sales/installers up here.

I don't have any experience with this here. I would guess that this product is rare around here as most either prefer the woods look or clear cut and want absolute grass/lawn.

Years ago I would business travel to the IBS (International Builders Show) and I have spoken with some of the manufacturers reps. There are/is a difference in the products sold. From my experience this product is mostly sold commercially for football fields and such. Some sold and installed residentially for homes in the Southwest where rain is a premium.

If no answers here, then try searching the manufacturers of product and contacting them directly and ask if any local wholesalers or retailers then contact them.

Carpet stores may have some advice as this product is sold in rolls similiar to carpet.

Good luck. Hope someone can provide some more specific local informaton.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
tummyman

I installed about 500 sq. ft. of artificial turf on my front year in MA. because of the same reason...plus I was here in NH most of the summer and could not take care of real lawn. Contact my installer.....Bill Burke at w.p.burke@comcast.net He comes to the Lakes Region as he has relatives here and spends weekends, etc. He may be just the person to install this for you. My new lawn looks terrific and is the talk of the town!!!!!
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Just Wonderin (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
secondcurve

Any Pictures??
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Little Bear

We put artificial "dog grass" in our back yard about 6 years ago. The company that manufactured it is www.foreverlawn.com

We had a local carpet installer put in this dog grass. There was quite a bit of prep work required for the dog grass, especially to mitigate any smell problems. I can tell you that this product and installation are excellent. It's survived 6 winters of snowblowers running over it and it looks like new. If you want me to dig out the name of the installer, send me a PM.

Good luck.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Just Wonderin (10-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
I would guess that this product is rare around here as most either prefer the woods look or clear cut and want absolute grass/lawn.
Lawns mean trimming, fertilizers, mowings, leafblowers, fumes and the noise that go with all that fussing.

I prefer the "woods look": although it might be a little "too woodsy" for most folks. Pine Needles, Mushrooms, Violets, Lady Slippers, and "native grasses" comprise most of it.

"Native grasses" look a lot like weeds.

But with a large resurfacing of artificial turf, wouldn't there be an issue with NHDES' "impervious surfaces"?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
tummyman

Artificial turf self drains internally to the base underneath that is an important part of the installation...it does not hold back or retain water, so I cannot see any DES or local issues. It is like any other pervious surface. As for pictures that were previously requested....I will have to wait a few days...all my pictures are at my MA computer and I will not be there for a few days.
secondcurve (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

Check this out.
http://www.newenglandturfboston.localedgemp.com/
Old 10-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
secondcurve

Thanks Siksukr. That actually looks pretty good.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
raydoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
I installed about 500 sq. ft. of artificial turf on my front year in MA. because of the same reason...plus I was here in NH most of the summer and could not take care of real lawn. Contact my installer.....Bill Burke at w.p.burke@comcast.net He comes to the Lakes Region as he has relatives here and spends weekends, etc. He may be just the person to install this for you. My new lawn looks terrific and is the talk of the town!!!!!
What was the cost per sq. ft. ??????
raydoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Pineedles

We just installed AT on our town's HS football field. Cost, $990,000. They tell us that it will save maintenance costs over the long run. I love HS football, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Also include in that cost is the running track around the field.

Last edited by Pineedles; 10-26-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: forgot running track
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
tummyman

Cost was approx. $7.50/sq.ft installed, including the base preparation and material. Material looks very close to the link posted by Siksukr.
raydoe1 (10-27-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
We just installed AT on our town's HS football field. Cost, $990,000. They tell us that it will save maintenance costs over the long run. I love HS football, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Also include in that cost is the running track around the field.
For field hockey, Wolfeboro's Brewster Academy has a serious rollout of new "turf":

http://www.brewsteracademy.org/Turf-Rollout
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
chipj29

My sons high school team had a football game at Interlakes HS this past weekend. Their field is artificial turf, and I must admit that it looks fantastic. It looks like it was installed not too long ago. I only wish our HS had the same turf, as our grass field is embarrassing.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I saw it for sale at Lowe's. They have three different grades. They have samples near the grass seed section.

How do you keep that stuff from flying away in a hurricane though?
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
tummyman

Grass is anchored all around the perimeter with 12 inch nails driven into the ground on an angle. Then there is a layer of sand deposited on top of the grass and swept/blown into the spaces between the grass blades. This all helps to anchor the grass very well. Is anything foolproof...no, but this certainly helps to keep the grass in place for most events.