Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Jeanzb1

Default Weirs Beach Water Slide

Two weeks ago three grandkids want to go on the WB water slide, but we were very short on time, so we paid $8.99 EACH for ONE SLIDE! Gulp.

Okay, the kids were hooked. Last Sunday they came back and the first thing they wanted to do was slide again. Of course. So five of us paid $19.99 EACH for two hours of sliding. Bigger gulp.

Yesterday they come back again. You guessed it, they wanted to slide again. But in the last six days the price has gone up to $24.99 each for two hours of sliding. In addition, if you want to slide all day, the price has gone from $24.99 to $34.99. RIP-OFF!

In essence, the WB water slide now costs half of what a day at Disney World costs!!!!

I questioned one of the workers why the HUGE increase in six days, and the response was that "the Baldi's house caught on fire, and, in addition, business hasn't been that good, so they had to do something." I guess Brandi Baldi doesn't understand that raising the prices is NOT the way to increase revenue. Needless to say, we will never go back.

P.S. I now have a hole in the seat of both of my two new swimsuits from sliding. So not only did it cost the king's ransom, but it cost me the price of two new swimsuits.

Last edited by Jeanzb1; 07-15-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: I want to add something.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down Poorly managed business.

You see it all to often, when times are tough instead of attracting business by lowering prices some business’s will raise their prices in an attempt to make more money out of less business.
Most of the time this has the opposite effect by driving business away.
Take the kids down to the go-kart track down the road. Tom the owner is a great guy who spends countless hours taking care of his equipment so that it is in excellent shape for the season.
This might not be as refreshing as the waterslide but I’ll bet they have a blast just the same. And you won’t be supporting what appears to be one of this areas most talked about and disliked families.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
spider22

Am I the only one that thinks it is wrong to raise the prices because you had a fire at your house. I have 3 boys and we used to go there every year but have not gone the last few years because of the high prices.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
crowsnest

Thumbs down

I HOPE THEY LOOSE EVERYTHING GREEDY SONS OF .......
Once they are out of the picture maybe the eyesore properties can get cleaned up
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks it is wrong to raise the prices because you had a fire at your house.
You have to assume they had home owner's insurance so the fire sounds like an excuse to cover up the greed. I won't be giving these people any of my money...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
AC2717

not that I want to defend them in any way shape or form, how do you know what the employee said was true, he/she could have meant the fire across the street or even could be just saying that

trust me no way I want to defend them, all the property they own in the weirs area is an eyesore to say the least
Old 07-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
You have to assume they had home owner's insurance so the fire sounds like an excuse to cover up the greed. I won't be giving these people any of my money...
And if business has not been that good why would they raise the price? I would think lowering the price or running some specials maybe later in the day would get some business.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
jerseyonbear

Default Thanks for the heads up

Glad I know what kind of $$ we are talking about. I will be sure to miss this one if all 4 want to go
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
And if business has not been that good why would they raise the price? I would think lowering the price or running some specials maybe later in the day would get some business.
Best option is work on MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING!

If a part of a good marketing plan is price adjustments and packages, so be it.
I say adjustments, not necessarily lower or higher.
Trimming the greenery might go a long way in my book, visually!!!

PS: covering fire damage at one's home! If they have mortgage, fire insurance would be required!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
crowsnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
not that I want to defend them in any way shape or form, how do you know what the employee said was true, he/she could have meant the fire across the street or even could be just saying that

trust me no way I want to defend them, all the property they own in the weirs area is an eyesore to say the least
One of the Baldis house had an attic fire about 3 weeks ago it was behind the drive in somewhere there was a thread about it somewhere here.
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
AC2717

oh they owed that place as well, how interesting
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Jeanzb1

I know they own the Wide Open Saloon, also, but the employee I talked to said "their house," and "not the WOS." I asked him specifically. Dirt bags.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post

Spend a few minutes reading the deposition of the son that was posted here a while back. After reading it, you will know what he said is true.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Sunbeam lodge (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
dragonfly03246

The Baldi's, Brandi & Larry, who operate the Water Slide and own the WOS had an extensive house fire at their own house behind the drive-in. They lost just about everything and have been using their own money to rebuild their house because, unfortunately, they had no insurance. Which I agree is just plain dumb.

I'm not defending them, but I don't think it's fair to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
I HOPE THEY LOOSE EVERYTHING GREEDY SONS OF .......
Once they are out of the picture maybe the eyesore properties can get cleaned up
There are little children involved and maybe their trying to provide for them, so I think that unless you know them personally or know their situation for sure then I don't think it's fair to judge or speculate.

Just my 2 cents
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
AC2717

lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part

oh yeah that old saying lol

not having insurance = plain stupidity

lack of planing(not having insurance) does not constitue an emergency (in this case paying more for a water slide or anything else they own in order to make up for not having insurance) on my part

I go elsewhere
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
HellRaZoR004

It begs the question of whether they have insurance elsewhere...?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
jrc

OK, I get that the burnt out building is annoying, but the bile towards these people is really ugly.

The people have a right to run their business any way they want, if you don't like the prices, don't go. The market will fix prices that are out of line.

I don't know these people at all. As an outsider, their business skills don't impress me. But personally who knows?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
Jeanzb1

To JRC: I started the thread to give parents and grandparents a heads-up as to what the prices are before they make plans with the kiddies and then back out and disappoint them. I think a forewarning is reasonable. I'm surprised you seem to disagree.

As far as the Baldi family, no, I don't know them at all, but I certainly do think they should have had some respect for the area and for their fellow business owners and torn down the remains of the burned-out Wide Open Saloon long ago.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
crowsnest (07-18-2012), Resident 2B (07-17-2012), spider22 (07-17-2012), Sunset View (07-23-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
To JRC: I started the thread to give parents and grandparents a heads-up as to what the prices are before they make plans with the kiddies and then back out and disappoint them. I think a forewarning is reasonable. I'm surprised you seem to disagree.

As far as the Baldi family, no, I don't know them at all, but I certainly do think they should have had some respect for the area and for their fellow business owners and torn down the remains of the burned-out Wide Open Saloon long ago.
And I thank you very much. My family and I only get to spend a week in the area every year so time is precious and I do not want to add an attraction like this to our plans for the week at prices like this. So rather than charging me a little for an hour and get that money they try to charge a lot and get none. I like to get my money's worth but fully expect to pay for entertainment and expect people to make a profit but do not expect to pay to rebuild someone's house because they did not have fire insurance.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
Shore Driver

That waterslide is on the slippery slope to a closure. Pardon the pun. But once you start getting out of hand with the rates to make up for lack of customers, you go the way of Surf Coaster.

Last year we went to Whale's Tale for the 2-5 pm price, which was lower than the 2-hour price at Weirs Beach for 3 crummy slides. Easily worth the drive
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #21
jrc

Can't argue with a warning on prices but "dirt bags" seems over the line.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
Pontoon Goon

Default A pattern to think about

If you were to take the time to read the deposition you would recall that Mr. Baldi lacked insurance on ALL the vehicles that he owned. The problems with The Wide Open Saloon stems from insurance and now it is alleged that he lacked coverage on his residence. With all this out there how could anybody in their right mind even step foot on the waterslide property ? Just by nature of the activity there is the potential for injury or worse. Not just on the slide but in the parking lot, food from the concession stand, or just as a bystander. If something catastrophic (God forbid) were to happen I for one would not have confidence that proper insurance would be in place. Buyer beware.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pontoon Goon For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-18-2012), Resident 2B (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
NoRegrets

Maybe the insurance companies "dropped" them as customers and others refused to bid on their holdings pending the case on WOS.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #24
samosetguy

Default Baldi

I just read the bankruptcy deposition transcript (thank you for posting) and I wouldn't let any minor under my supervision travel down the Weirs Beach Water Slide. Unfortunately, Mr. Baldi comes across as incredibly dishonest and irresponsible. I wouldn't have faith that he has insurance nor that the slide is operated in a safe manner.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #25
RailroadJoe

Anyone know if it get inspected yearly like carnival rides?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
Rattlesnake Guy

Private businesses in the US who have not been granted a monopoly by the government have the right to charge whatever price they want. The supply and demand model will take care of any inefficiency in the market. $35 for a day seems like it would result in little total revenue, but they are entitled to failure or success just like anyone else.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #27
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well don't go to Monkey Trunks then either. Talk about costly....

Maybe a call to the Laconia Building inspector or the State's Inspector General would net some results as to whether the slide is safe or not.

I just came back from a Yearly car club gathering at Lake George. Sorry to bring it up once again, but every time I drive by the Weirs I just let out a sigh. The Weirs is a dump compared to the Lake George version. Lake George was a bustling place. Crowds were all well behaved and spending lots of money in the eateries and shops. All of the Motels and hotels were full. We always have to book our rooms at least 6 months in advance. They have not one boat but 4 big tour boats, boat rentals, para-sailing etc..... Sad to see what has happened to the Weirs in total.

This what the Weirs SHOULD look like.

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (07-23-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #28
SIKSUKR

Default Busted!

Good to see the guys still check out the eye candy at Lake George too.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
jrc

Since the subject of Weirs beach came up again, I thought I's share this link. It looks like re-doing Weirs beach has been discussed for a long time.

http://weirsbeach.com/reasons-to-vis...evitalization/
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #30
samosetguy

Default Scott Farah

After reading Mr. Baldi's deposition, I decided (out of curiousity) to read Scott Farah's deposition from both days.

It definitely changes my feelings towards Mr. Baldi. Baldi really got screwed bad. He probably should have been acting a lot more responsibly but Scott Farah was a cold and sophisticated con artist who appears to have very little remorse.

He actually got caught in one scam then was able to create a new scam to go another 5 years before everything crashed.

The files are too big to upload but the links are below if anyone else wants to read them.

http://www.dntpc.com/Farah.Scott.Transcript.011411.pdf

http://www.dntpc.com/Farah.Scott.Transcript.011811.pdf
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote