Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Bad experience with Pella windows

So I’m slowly replacing windows in our 1790 house with new construction windows. I’m not looking for anything special. (After all anything is better then what is there now)
So after looking around I opted for the Lowes brand or ReliaBilt. I compared it to the low end Pella and felt the construction quality and sealing was far better and the windows rep at Lowes pointed out things that steered me away from the Pella .
I’ve have replaced two dormer windows and have been very happy with these windows.
Then I order the big picture window with 2 double hung windows one on each side.
Well as it turned out the window they built and ordered was a Pella. Before I go further let me say I assumed it was going to be the same as the ones I’ve already replaced so I didn’t even think to ask. My bad!
For anyone wanting inexpensive windows please stay away from Pella. This window is the biggest piece of crap. Construction is of paper thin plastics and the nailing flange is so close to the window it was a chore getting nails in without hitting the paper thin plastic it is made of. On top of that the windows when locked will move up and down almost ¼ of an inch. Now the Lowes rep says they had a problem with the latches which resulted in the sloppy seal on the double hung windows, but the Pella rep says this is normal and they should have some play.
Now I know why many of the homes that I work on with new windows are not made by Pella.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Check out Harvey windows

We put in replacement windows because the original ones were very drafty. The brand we chose was Harvey, out of Waltham, MA. They are plastic as well as the Pella, but we were very happy with them. When we tore down the old house, we were able to save the windows and reuse them in the newly built garage. We used a contractor out of Wolfeboro to install them in the original house, but unfortunately, I can't remember their name.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
We put in replacement windows because the original ones were very drafty. The brand we chose was Harvey, out of Waltham, MA. They are plastic as well as the Pella, but we were very happy with them. When we tore down the old house, we were able to save the windows and reuse them in the newly built garage. We used a contractor out of Wolfeboro to install them in the original house, but unfortunately, I can't remember their name.
The ones we like the ReliaBilt are also all plastic as well. I did price out Harvey and found them to be significantly higher. They do make a good window though. The one really noticeable difference is that the nailing flange, which is only used on new construction windows, sticks out far enough away from the window so you don't have to worry about hitting the window casing when installing it. The Pella window has a very tight flange.
Honestly the ReliaBilt window far surpassed what I expected since they had no windows on display I could look at. So essentially I was shooting blind.
Having worked with many good contractors I’ve become knowledgeable enough to tackle installing my own windows. They really are not hard at all to install, you just need all the proper tools as well as knowledge of siding and trimming out the inside.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
BlackCatIslander

Default Andersen windows

Over the years we have replaced all of our sliders(3) and most of the windows with Andersen products. They are not inexpensive but for us they have been a good investment.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Happy Gourmand

Default Harvey Windows

We replaced all our windows on our ranch style house in Nashua with Harvey windows and have been very pleased with the quality.
I have a friend who works for Pella. He says that they have a few "grades" of windows...from among the best in the industry to some of the worst that are sold by Lowe's.
I have also installed 10 4' by 4' sliding windows from Home Depot in our home in Meredith and have been pleased with the quality.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
EllyPoinster

Default Another Vote for Harvey

Great windows and sliders. Not that I knew much about these things before I bought them but you sit up and take notice when your builder invites you to see what they look like installed - at HIS house.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster View Post
Great windows and sliders. Not that I knew much about these things before I bought them but you sit up and take notice when your builder invites you to see what they look like installed - at HIS house.
I saw a number of replacement manufacturers after they are installed. What I don't like are replacements that add to the existing frame and results in a smaller window. I settled with a little known company named 'WeatherShield'. The windows uses the existing frame and replace the windows and sliders without sacrificing the glass area. I had the windows for 20 years and I am very happy with them. I think I found them at Ashland Lumber.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander View Post
Over the years we have replaced all of our sliders(3) and most of the windows with Andersen products. They are not inexpensive but for us they have been a good investment.
I will take a Harvey product over Anderson hands down every time. You are paying for the name when you get Andersen's now, they used to make a good window but not anymore.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Thumbs Up to Harvey!

We replaced every window and patio sliders in our island home last year. All but one were made by Harvey including a custom size picture window with operable flanking windows. The year before last we replaced one window with an Anderson. The Harvey windows are a great product with excellent customer service and were cheaper in price than the Anderson. The Anderson window at only two years old already has issues...

FWIW;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
gf2020

I've been putting Andersen 400 Series new construction windows in houses for over 10 years with no issues. That said, if I wanted an all vinyl window, Harvey would be high on my list.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
codeman671

The Pella and Andersen lines carried by the big box stores are a different grade for sure. We had the Depot install an Andersen slider in our home and to this day it still drafts. They sent an Andersen repair rep out to look at it, who validated that the bow in it would work itself out over time. Real impressed....
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Same Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
The Pella and Andersen lines carried by the big box stores are a different grade for sure. We had the Depot install an Andersen slider in our home and to this day it still drafts. They sent an Andersen repair rep out to look at it, who validated that the bow in it would work itself out over time. Real impressed....
Yup, we had Andersen's "French glider" installed at our home. Supposedly their top of the line slider... Same issue as you, lots of draft, key lock would never work properly and didn't slide worth a dam!! We too were not impressed...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I saw a number of replacement manufacturers after they are installed. What I don't like are replacements that add to the existing frame and results in a smaller window. I settled with a little known company named 'WeatherShield'. The windows uses the existing frame and replace the windows and sliders without sacrificing the glass area. I had the windows for 20 years and I am very happy with them. I think I found them at Ashland Lumber.
"Weather Shield" is defiantly not a small company. Their product is just about in the middle of Anderson and Harvey.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Yup, we had Andersen's "French glider" installed at our home. Supposedly their top of the line slider... Same issue as you, lots of draft, key lock would never work properly and didn't slide worth a dam!! We too were not impressed...

Dan
I work with a builder who has had problems with the new Anderson high end products as well.
I did some research and found that the window line that Lowes sells is made by Atrium and has been around forever. Has anybody heard good or bad about them. I've never heard of them before.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
MDoug

Default Anderson French Glider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
Same experience here!! We had thought it was bad work by our contractor.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
secondcurve

I've put 6 of the Andersen French gliders in at places me or my family has owned and have never had a problem. The oldest is 13-years old.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
Tired of Waiting

Default No problem with my Pella

Over the last two years I replaced all the windows in my home in MA with Pella original construction windows. Not just the replacement type.

The house is 37 years old and the windows were junk so I replaced them all.

However I ordered them from a Pella dealer. Most of the units were manufactured to the rough opening deminsions. They fit like a fine glove and were easy to install.

The are GREAT but NOT cheap. I got what I paid for and am very happy with them.

I looked at the windows at Lowes and Home Depot before I settled on the Pella. The windows supplied from the big box stores are not the same as the ones you get from a dealer. Yes you pay a premium for the dealer windows but the lack of problems was well worth it in my mind.

I had 10 single windows, one double and a 7 foot bay window in the front room. Total cost was about $7K.

I guess the moral is you get what you pay for.

Oh, I did all the tear out and installation myself with help from my son a friends for the bay window and just my son for the rest to keep the cost down.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
DickR

Perhaps it should be mentioned that proper installation of a window is just as important as selection of the window unit itself. Many leakage problems attributed to a window are really failure to follow manufacturer's instructions and general good practice. At least most of the major manufacturers have the proper installation procedure outlined on their websites, if only to give them an out when improper installation results in a claim against them.

Despite this information being available, many "professionals" still get at least part of the installation wrong, and this is seen frequently where new houses are under construction. One common mistake is failure to have the housewrap (eg. Typar) lap over the top nailing flange, relying instead on self-adhering flashing (eg. Vycor) applied over the flange that overlaps the wrap. Another is applying the self-stick flashing over the lower nailing flange. There should be flashing or a sill pan over the rough opening sill area, lapped over the housewrap below the window, the purpose of which is to catch any leakage past the window's exterior and direct it out over the wrap. Self-stick flashing over that lower nailing flange traps any water the sill flashing catches.

Installation procedure for a replacement window unit that fits within the jambs of the old window is different still.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Default Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
"Weather Shield" is defiantly not a small company. Their product is just about in the middle of Anderson and Harvey.
I googled and found their website. It sounds like high end product. I visit Boulia Gorrell and found that many of the good contractors in the area swear by this product.

I have very good luck with my windows. You should look into it.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
Tired of Waiting

Default Correct you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Perhaps it should be mentioned that proper installation of a window is just as important as selection of the window unit itself. Many leakage problems attributed to a window are really failure to follow manufacturer's instructions and general good practice. At least most of the major manufacturers have the proper installation procedure outlined on their websites, if only to give them an out when improper installation results in a claim against them.

Despite this information being available, many "professionals" still get at least part of the installation wrong, and this is seen frequently where new houses are under construction. One common mistake is failure to have the housewrap (eg. Typar) lap over the top nailing flange, relying instead on self-adhering flashing (eg. Vycor) applied over the flange that overlaps the wrap. Another is applying the self-stick flashing over the lower nailing flange. There should be flashing or a sill pan over the rough opening sill area, lapped over the housewrap below the window, the purpose of which is to catch any leakage past the window's exterior and direct it out over the wrap. Self-stick flashing over that lower nailing flange traps any water the sill flashing catches.

Installation procedure for a replacement window unit that fits within the jambs of the old window is different still.
Also many folks who do it their self use the wrong foaming insulation.

There are two types. The low pressure foam is the one to use for windows. READ the can. If you use the high preasure foam you run the risk of warping the window frame and causing the window to stick and leak.

You can use fiberglass insulation but you won't get the insulation/air leakage protection like foam in insulation. Just be sure to use the "low" preasure foam for windows and doors.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
songkrai

Just about every manufacturer makes different lines of windows. Aimed at different markets. High priced to low priced. And some in between. And most manufacture a lower priced contractor grade.

Vinyl windows
Wood windows
Metal clad windows

Single pane, double pane, argon filled double pain and on and on.

Best to visit one of your reputable local lumber yards and find someone who knows windows. For the most part your local lumber yard will be around for years and will help with any issues if they ever develop.

Boulia-Gorrell Lumber Company in Laconia has an excellent window person.
Winnipesaukee Lumber Co in Wolfeboro has an excellent window person.
A & B Lumber Company in Moultonborough and Concord has an excellent window person.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
tis (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Just about every manufacturer makes different lines of windows. Aimed at different markets. High priced to low priced. And some in between. And most manufacture a lower priced contractor grade.

Vinyl windows
Wood windows
Metal clad windows

Single pane, double pane, argon filled double pain and on and on.

Best to visit one of your reputable local lumber yards and find someone who knows windows. For the most part your local lumber yard will be around for years and will help with any issues if they ever develop.

Boulia-Gorrell Lumber Company in Laconia has an excellent window person.
Winnipesaukee Lumber Co in Wolfeboro has an excellent window person.
A & B Lumber Company in Moultonborough and Concord has an excellent window person.
The whole statement made above is very true until you get to the lumber yards. At that point I kinda disagree as they will only push the brand that they sell which may not necessarily be one of the top windows. I believe reading forums like this and getting the pros and cons of what different people have used or have first hand knowledge of what others have used is the best place to get good info. At that point go and check the ones that you believe may fit your application.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
The whole statement made above is very true until you get to the lumber yards. At that point I kinda disagree as they will only push the brand that they sell which may not necessarily be one of the top windows. I believe reading forums like this and getting the pros and cons of what different people have used or have first hand knowledge of what others have used is the best place to get good info. At that point go and check the ones that you believe may fit your application.
This is so true. Thanks for pointing this out.

Yes, just about every retail outlet will push one towards the manufacturer that provides the best profits, commissions, and incentives.

So buyer beware. One does have to do homework and do research on all brands.

Blanket statements such as XXXX Brand are the "best" is not always true as each company makes different lines with different quality or durability.

I have a neighbor who replaced his storm doors. Wanted the "best". So he purchased high priced Andersen storm/screen doors. Two. The ones where the glass/screen slide into the door itself. A total disaster. Poorly designed/manufactured materials on the clips that slide the glass/screen. Keep breaking. Both doors. Andersen was very good in the beginning - and kept sending replacements. But Andersen gave up as same problem kept recurring. Both doors - windows/screens are broken. The windows are not broken - only the slides. The way the clips/runners were built into the window was a poor design as the whole glass part had to be replaced and not just the clips/slider part. So the "best" is not always the real best.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
Belmont Resident

Default repair rep came out today

So in a nut shell he pretty much concurred that the factory screwed up when they built my window. He is gonna order the parts and repair the exterior window frame in the spring, at my request. No sense me taking the trim off now.
As for foam insulation the low expansions is a relatively new product I thought. You can still use the regular foam you just have to use it the right way. You don’t jam the nozzle in and pull trigger until the foam comes out, you put it in, in small steps and it works fine.
I do however use the low expansion foam when I install new windows and sliders.

As for HD and Lowes, they do not sell anything different then you get when you buy direct or from another Pella dealer. They are not authorized to sell certain lines that Pella make. It makes sense because most that go to the big box stores are looking for a deal to begin with.
I did show the rep the windows I’d installed earlier and he agreed they were a much better product then the low end Pella is.
In the end it WAS my mistake as I assumed I was getting the same product I ordered earlier in the year. A mistake I will never make again.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #25
SIKSUKR

Default Windows?I've bought a couple

I just ordered another 16 for my building bringing the total to about 150. These are not your run of the mill(pun intended) window. My openings in the mill building is 80x120. Now that's a big window. I have vinyl side by side double hung 3x3 ft sashes with a fixed 3x6ft transom on top. I've used 2 other brands in the past and have now settled on Harvey, having bought about 100 of these. Very happy with the quality and there made right here in Manchester.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #26
dpg

As stated Pella isn't necessarily a "bad" window problem is they just make a Lowes and Home Depot quality window to compete in that market. I know a few people in the "biz" (I'm not) and the two I know refer to HD as Home Cheapo Just like it's been discussed here before when you buy a Toro or John Deere at HD it's not EXACTLY the same machine as a dealers store. Everyone has their own opinion but I still believe it is not.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Just like anything, there are quality built windows and not so good quality built. But any windows can have problems. The secret is if you DO have a problem will the company come out and find out what the problem is. People seems to have more problems with Pella resolving problems than most window companies that I know of.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #28
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Just like anything, there are quality built windows and not so good quality built. But any windows can have problems. The secret is if you DO have a problem will the company come out and find out what the problem is. People seems to have more problems with Pella resolving problems than most window companies that I know of.
The reason for that is Pella is not sold by Lumber yards, so when you have an issue with the product, the local Rep needs to come out. Then they will send out the repair tech that in this area comes out of Pella Boston's office in Mass.

The other two major manufacturers, are sold through lumberyards or independents, this allows for service and repair contracts offered to local contractors.

IMO the vinyl Pella product is poor from many different angles and it is the same window I can buy from my rep, that I can buy at Lowes. Having the ability to look at a Rep sample and a Lowes double hung next to each other, if there is a difference, my rep and our eyes lied to us. Harvey has the vinyl market nailed and has for decades.

Pella has a few features that are really nice on their Architect and Designer Series, but they were not my final choice when I replaced all the windows in my house.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
Irish mist

Good info here. A friend in Boston just purchased a 2 family house with 43 new Anderson windows in place. Wow.....what happened to Anderson ? These windows are terrible. If i did not see these windows in person I would not believe just how bad they are.

A big selling point on this purchase was the new Anderson windows, and I suppose they are an improvement, maybe, over what was there, since the 2 family house is over 90 years old, but after seeing this product I'm not even sure of that.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #30
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Good info here. A friend in Boston just purchased a 2 family house with 43 new Anderson windows in place. Wow.....what happened to Anderson ? These windows are terrible. If i did not see these windows in person I would not believe just how bad they are.

A big selling point on this purchase was the new Anderson windows, and I suppose they are an improvement, maybe, over what was there, since the 2 family house is over 90 years old, but after seeing this product I'm not even sure of that.
Well.....OK so what was wrong with them? Inquiring minds want to know.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #31
Belmont Resident

Default dpg

I guess the point is don’t look at just the name. As in my case with Pella, low end is really low end.
I would have never thought the Pella name could produce such crap either.
I guess Anderson low end is just that as well.
In my case even the factory repair tech could not believe they shipped the window to me as it was. He is going to replace the whole outer edge of the window in the spring.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #32
RLW

Smile Low end windows

I for one wouldn't think that any company would want to make a low end window and put there main companies name on them. Most people that complain really do not have the slightest idea between the low and high end windows just the manufactures name on it and draw their decision on the name. It's is real bad for the name Pella, Anderson Marvin and all the rest that are out there.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #33
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Well.....OK so what was wrong with them? Inquiring minds want to know.
Low quality window. Several of his window locks are broken off & the windows are less than 2 years old. Perhaps these are Anderson's low end product, but I don't know. If you read the other posts here you will see a lot of quality issues about Anderson's sliders. I guess in this market the lesson is don't go by "brand name" & think it's a quality product.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
BroadHopper

Default Weather Shield

Looks like I lucked out buying a lesser known brand. I am very happy with this brand. The windows were installed in 1978 and they are solid.