Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Bob house through the ice

Just happened about a half hour ago. This is Meredith Bay in front of town docks. Sorry for the crappy photo, I will add better images later; this was taken with my iPad.
secondcurve (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
Just happened about a half hour ago. This is Meredith Bay in front of town docks. Sorry for the crappy photo, I will add better images later; this was taken with my iPad.
Your picture speaks volumes.

Hopefully, the folks who run the fishing derby will cancel the event early this week. It simply isn't safe on Winnipesaukee and many of the other surrounding water bodies and the situation looks like it will deteriorate this week with warm temperatures and rain. Unfortunately, if I were a betting man I'd say greed for the almighty buck will trump logic and common sense and the tournament will go forward.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

here's a better image.
diz (02-21-2016), trfour (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

A black painted bob house like the one in the pic, absorbs and gives off a lot of thermal heat most likely quickening it's demise through the ice.

I hope they get it out as it looks like a nicely built shanty!

Dan
Old 02-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
MeredithMan

Default spooky ice....

....saw that as well on the way out of town around 2:30 this afternoon. On our side of Meredith Bay there is about 5-6" of ice about 60' off shore. We were fishing for Rainbows in the shallows, (caught Bupkus, but that is another story), this weekend. Friday was enjoyable but yesterday afternoon was spooky...dark clouds, 50 degree temps, and flowing water on top of the ice from the snow that had melted and also from some nearby pressure ridges. The water below us was only about 3' deep as we were near the shore, but the conditions still gave you the heebie-jeebies....
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
GTO

Default Still there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
here's a better image.
We watched them trying to get it out this afternoon without any luck. It's on a trailer so I'm sure that's not making it any easier. Just went by now and at 7:30 and it's still there. Fish and game was there this afternoon taking a report. Funny thing is, according to the WMUR website this morning, they ran a story saying condions are improving for the derby. I agree that they should cancel the derby this year. It's an accident waiting to happen
Old 02-22-2016, 02:49 AM   #7
ApS

Question Waterproof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
A black painted bob house like the one in the pic, absorbs and gives off a lot of thermal heat most likely quickening it's demise through the ice.
I hope they get it out as it looks like a nicely built shanty!
Dan
It appears to have roofing tar paper for the exterior, so I'd substitute "recently-built" instead of "nicely-built".

It is, however, "water-resistant"...

Old 02-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

Default Back up

This bob house is back up on the ice and more are showing up in Meredith Bay. With cold temps tonight, ice will be safer for a few days, but it will be interesting to see what the rain does to the ice later this week.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
Outdoorsman

Smile Gotta ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
....saw that as well on the way out of town around 2:30 this afternoon. On our side of Meredith Bay there is about 5-6" of ice about 60' off shore. We were fishing for Rainbows in the shallows, (caught Bupkus, but that is another story), this weekend. Friday was enjoyable but yesterday afternoon was spooky...dark clouds, 50 degree temps, and flowing water on top of the ice from the snow that had melted and also from some nearby pressure ridges. The water below us was only about 3' deep as we were near the shore, but the conditions still gave you the heebie-jeebies....
Ice on top of any surface gives me the heebie-jeebies. Unless I know there is Earth 2" below, I'm good One day I 'may' venture on to ice that has earth 3" below, just not ready for that... yet.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #10
nhswim

Default Responsibility of Bob house owners

About four years ago (in late February) we watched a large bob house slowly sink into the lake in front of our house. The fishermen had rented the house just to the right of ours, and the bob house was about 500 feet from shore. In the spring drivers had to remove the bob house by dragging the trailer along the bottom of the lake until it got to shore. Since then I've gone driving down many a time to pick up plastic spoons or trash from the bottom of the lake which has washed into our swim area. The owners of bob houses that sink should be held more accountable for cleaning up every bit of trash left behind.
nhswim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nhswim For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #11
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhswim View Post
About four years ago (in late February) we watched a large bob house slowly sink into the lake in front of our house. The fishermen had rented the house just to the right of ours, and the bob house was about 500 feet from shore. In the spring drivers had to remove the bob house by dragging the trailer along the bottom of the lake until it got to shore. Since then I've gone driving down many a time to pick up plastic spoons or trash from the bottom of the lake which has washed into our swim area. The owners of bob houses that sink should be held more accountable for cleaning up every bit of trash left behind.
Accountability??? In 2016?? No way. you would think that wouldn't be asking to much though right?
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #12
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhswim View Post
Unfortunately, there is a significant portion of the ice fishing crowd that simply does not care about issues like this. I personally think it has a lot to do with the drinking that goes hand and hand with the sport.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #13
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
It appears to have roofing tar paper for the exterior, so I'd substitute "recently-built" instead of "nicely-built".

It is, however, "water-resistant"...

I doubt that the shanty has roofing tar paper on it. Probably has some type of rubberized material that will stand-up to what winter has to offer.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Unfortunately, there is a significant portion of the ice fishing crowd that simply does not care about issues like this. I personally think it has a lot to do with the drinking that goes hand and hand with the sport.
I am always curious as to how many of these bob houses out there are from people who are non - waterfront owners and people that aren't even local residents. Not that I am pointing fingers at non residents but I'm sure there is a tendency to keep your back yard cleaner. I would imagine at some point bob houses will need to registered.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
MeredithMan

Default It is frustrating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I am always curious as to how many of these bob houses out there are from people who are non - waterfront owners and people that aren't even local residents. Not that I am pointing fingers at non residents but I'm sure there is a tendency to keep your back yard cleaner. I would imagine at some point bob houses will need to registered.
I am very fortunate to be able have a year-round waterfront property. My son and I enjoy ice-fishing right in front of our house. We do not use a bob-house. There is public access to the lake near our property and almost every weekend, (assuming safe ice), we end up with fishermen right in front of our place...30-50' offshore. (My dock is 40' long and that is the distance gauge).

Last week, we went out on Friday...drilled our holes, fished, had fun. Around 6AM on Saturday, some folks had set up their temporary bob-house right at the end of my dock and were using the holes that my son & I had drilled the previous day. We had errands to do and did not get on the ice till Sat afternoon, at which point the other fishermen had left. However, there were cigarette butts and other debris in the holes. Not as bad as actual trash, but gross nonetheless, especially being right in front of my house.

I guess I am venting about two issues. First, it is very frustrating that people abuse the lake with trash, butts, etc. Not just ice-fishermen, but boaters/bathers in the summer too. Unfortunately, there will always be some who do this. Second, as it pertains to the ice-fishing crowd, do you really have to fish 30' off my backyard and use the holes that I drilled? I know that the lake is public domain and they are not "my" holes, but jeez, there's a huge cove with many seasonal camps....can't you go fish over there? Fueling my frustration is that my son has mobility issues and can't walk without assistance, so he is limited to ice-fishing right in front of our house.

I guess this is no different than the boating threads that have gone on before about people anchoring in front of waterfront owners' property. But as I have stated in those threads, just because there is no law against standing inches away from someone and violating their personal space, that doesn't make it right.

I'll get off my soapbox now....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-24-2016), DougNH (02-24-2016), Greene's Basin Girl (02-24-2016), joey2665 (02-24-2016), Merrymeeting (02-24-2016), missedbass (02-27-2016), upthesaukee (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
GTO

Default just the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
This bob house is back up on the ice and more are showing up in Meredith Bay. With cold temps tonight, ice will be safer for a few days, but it will be interesting to see what the rain does to the ice later this week.
Went through Meredith this morning and the 3-4 bobhouses that were out in front of the docks are now gone. With rain and warm temps, guess they were not taking a chance, plus the fact there is a sign at the boat ramp saying its closed. Maybe the ice is getting to soft there so they figured better get them out before while they can.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #17
MeredithMan

Default Totally unsubstantiated rumor...

....but have heard it from two folks in local businesses in the area today, that the derby may be cancelled as a result of the pending rain and warm temps.

I'd hate to see anyone be put in harm's way due to the potentially unsafe ice conditions...
Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #18
KPW

Default Derby still on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
....but have heard it from two folks in local businesses in the area today, that the derby may be cancelled as a result of the pending rain and warm temps.

I'd hate to see anyone be put in harm's way due to the potentially unsafe ice conditions...
According to another thread on this site, the derby is still on. It is a state wide derby.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #19
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
According to another thread on this site, the derby is still on. It is a state wide derby.
According to a WMUR interview in Meredith with one of the officials, the derby is still on.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote