Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
RyanDe

Default Getting our boat to Winni for a week?

We live on Merrymeeting Lake but would like to take a vacation next year to one of the islands on Winni. Since we live on the lake we sold our vehicle that could tow as we didn't need, so we have no way to transport the boat. Does anyone have a creative solution how we could get our boat to the lake for the week why we stayed there and then home again? We were thinking just a craiglist ad but something about trusting a random person with our $40k boat doesn't sit well. Maybe we'd get lucky and the person we rent from would do it for a small charge?
RyanDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Woodsy

Give Miles Marine a call.... I don't think it would cost to much to tow your boat to the Alton Launch and pick you up and tow it home..

Woodsy
Old 08-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
FlyingScot

I like Woodsy's suggestion. If that doesn't work, rent a uhaul.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
RyanDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I like Woodsy's suggestion. If that doesn't work, rent a uhaul.
As I've never driven with a 22' boat behind a vehicle nor have I tried to launch said boat that's not something I'd want to try. :-) My luck someone would record it and I'd be on America's Funniest Home videos.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #5
Water Camper

Default Looking for a tow

If Miles Marine doesn't work for you, I tow my 225 Sundowner FourWinns annually to and from Winni and might be willing to assist you.

Hope this helps, Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
Joebon

I towed and launched a 21ft boat Memorial Day weekend. It was comical, but everyone around was helpful. You should give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe View Post
We live on Merrymeeting Lake but would like to take a vacation next year to one of the islands on Winni. Since we live on the lake we sold our vehicle that could tow as we didn't need, so we have no way to transport the boat. Does anyone have a creative solution how we could get our boat to the lake for the week why we stayed there and then home again? We were thinking just a craiglist ad but something about trusting a random person with our $40k boat doesn't sit well. Maybe we'd get lucky and the person we rent from would do it for a small charge?
Since you sold the tow vehicle could it be assumed that you have a trailer for your boat?

Things to think about:

If someone who is not regularly in the business does it for you make sure that their insurance company knows and will cover any commercial operation of their vehicle.

If someone does it for free make sure to agree on coverage should there be an incident or damage requiring coverage.

If you have your boat moved by an amateur make sure your boat insurance company understands and find out in advance what the coverage conditions will be.

There are a lot of potential ways it could go very wrong if you do not use someone in the boat moving business.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
gillygirl

I’d agree with the Miles Marine suggestion. I loved the way the gentleman prepped my 22 foot for the ride from MA. And I’ve watched him launch multiple boats at Glendale. They know what they’re doing.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
RyanDe

Thanks, this is very helpful.

We do have a trailer it just stays at the marina as they take it out and put it in every year. They're really good, they'll pull it out for us and ready it for pick up if we ask.

I don't need exact numbers but what would you expect to pay for this? Alton Bay is about 9 miles from us, so it's close but I still understand there is time, gas, insurance, etc. I'm trying to get an idea so we can build it into our budget.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
camp guy

Default Getting boat to Winni

Since your marina has your trailer, maybe you could have them provide the 'talent' to move your boat on your trailer to Winnipesaukee (and back) for the time period needed.

Good Luck.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
Juiced06GTO

Worst case scenario, Enterprise rents F250's for $55 a day unlimited miles. Rent one for a day to practice maneuvering the trailer and then rent it again to move the boat. Several people I know rent them to tow their race cars to the race track on the weekends.

Best advice I can give for backing a trailer is to put your hand at the 6 o'clock position on the wheel, look over your shoulder or in your mirrors and move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. Make small movements and don't be afraid to pull forward, straighten out, and try again. It really isn't that difficult.
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe View Post

Rather than dealing with transporting a boat, you may want to look into leasing a boat for the time frame you'd need one.

It likely won't be cheaper but at least you'll have a lot of peace of mind without dealing with the hassles!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #13
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Since your marina has your trailer, maybe you could have them provide the 'talent' to move your boat on your trailer to Winnipesaukee (and back) for the time period needed.

Good Luck.
Yes, I think your marina would absolutely do it for you, I'd be shocked if they didn't.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

All the marinas do this routinely. The one you already use is the logical choice to me. There won't be much $$ difference for a short trip.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #15
Kerk

Default Moving a Boat

suggest you have the trailer checked for over the road trip. The wheel bearings have been in and out of the water and could be a problem.
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #16
GeoBarb11

If you are talking a tow of just nine miles and have some experience towing, just go to uhaul and rent a tow vehicle. Not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
GeoBarb11 is offline   Reply With Quote