Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Bizer

Default Bouy southeast of Treasure Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
... For years I have been wanting to snorkel various buoys and hazards around the lake to document exactly what is there and the exact location. (For some reason, the marker south of Treasure Island is of great interest to me.) ...
I spent about 15 minutes surveying this area on Friday. I suspect, with the exception of the Mount Washington, that this marker is benign. Between the marker and Treasurer island, the bottom comes up to about 10 feet with a few places under eight feet deep. I found nothing that would affect any other boat. Just to be safe, stay southeast of this buoy.

There are several, "Mount Washington" buoys on the lake. Those buoys, which are along the Mount's normal route, mark items solely for the Mount. The two buoys south of Diamond Island come to mind as does light #1 northeast of Weirs. Southeast of buoy #1, the bottom is sandy and about eight feet deep. Boats (with the exception of the Mount) can easily pass southeast of this buoy.

Last edited by Bizer; 06-17-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Correct typo
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
Dave R (06-18-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
jrc

With very few exceptions, I cannot bring myself to go on the wrong side of a bouy. At least on purpose.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
With very few exceptions, I cannot bring myself to go on the wrong side of a bouy. At least on purpose.
Yeah, I'm the same way. I appreciate the information from Bizer though.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

The only marker I've always gone on the wrong side is fl1 at the Weirs. Its a great escape from all the traffic funneling slowly around it.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
The only marker I've always gone on the wrong side is fl1 at the Weirs.Its a great escape from all the traffic funneling slowly around it.
I rarely go that way when I leave the Weirs. I usually swing a little northwest to avoid traffic, head for FL44, and pass Eagle on the north side. Fewer boats go that way even though it's the only on-plane option if the destination is east or south east. That said, I used to take the same route before there was a no wake at FL2, just to avoid traffic there. Good to know I can pass on the other side of FL1 though.

I have heard that there's nothing a non-Mount Washington Vessel could hit between the markers (FL23 and the red topped spar) at Sandy Point. Is this true? I often see people pass through there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Kamper

The main thing is to know how much water your boat draws and be aware of your location and the depth. Tools like a good chart, and a depth finder, will go a long ways to keeping you safe.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I have heard that there's nothing a non-Mount Washington Vessel could hit between the markers (FL23 and the red topped spar) at Sandy Point. Is this true? I often see people pass through there.
Thats always been my understanding and Bizer does not show even shallow depth there.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Phantom

Well for those concerned about FL#1 I can support Bizer on that one, our cottage is in that general local and with the exception of late fall there is no cause for alarm. In late Fall however (low water) there are a couple of "mystery" rocks that can come up and bite ya if you are "Tail heavy" in the stern i.e. powering up and/or bow up cruising

What I would like to ask Bizer is what is the true dangers from Eagle Isl going West towards FL#44 -- there is an entire pattern of Red/ Black Tops and I forever see people "splitting these sticks. I am quite familiar with the proper passage.

Are the hazards right at the sticks? I have always been led to believe there is an entire mine field in that area similar to The Witches.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
jrc

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=43....=h&form=LMLTCC

Looks like a large area, I wish I could overlay these photos with the markers.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
... I have heard that there's nothing a non-Mount Washington Vessel could hit between the markers (FL23 and the red topped spar) at Sandy Point. Is this true? I often see people pass through there.
According to my notes, I could find nothing less than seven feet in this area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
... What I would like to ask Bizer is what is the true dangers from Eagle Isl going West towards FL#44 -- there is an entire pattern of Red/ Black Tops and I forever see people "splitting these sticks. I am quite familiar with the proper passage. ...

Are the hazards right at the sticks? I have always been led to believe there is an entire mine field in that area similar to The Witches.
Unlike the Witches, there are few rocks in here. However, one is all it takes.

According to my notes, and using a typical fall level, there are about six rocks in here about four feet below the surface.  I've only found two rocks less than four feet below the surface: one at 30" and another at 18".  Both of these really-shallow rocks are near the red-and-white buoy.  While it is PROBABLY OK north of the red buoy, I, myself, only venture into this area with my prop up, while wearing polarized sunglasses, at less than two miles per hour.

As Bret Maverick used to say, "A coward dies a thousand deaths.  A hero only one.  I like the odds"
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
Phantom (06-21-2012)