Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
kbh

Default Outstanding Customer Service - Gillan Marine

I have lurked here for a long time and have never bothered to register. I have now registered in order to share the following experience:

For Mother's Day weekend, I brought the family up to the lake for a long weekend and the maiden voyage of our new (new to us) boat that we purchased over the winter in a private sale.

Before launching I had the boat fully serviced and detailed at the marina where I have stored and serviced my previous boat/s for the past 12 years. I then had the Marina launch the boat and dock it in the slip I had rented from them for the coming 2012 season.

After arriving at the lake we spent a few hours just cruising, then gased up as the gas gauge was reading 1/4 tank. The boat didnt take alot of gas before the attendant said it was full, I was confused as it should have taken much more gas. We tried again, but it seemed full. The gas guage read 1/2 tank, I just assumed the gas guage was wrong. We spent the rest of the day on the lake before docking for the night.

The next day we went to Alton Bay for Pop's fried clams, on the way back up Alton Bay we ran out of gas... I called my marina (the same marine I have used for 12 years, they know me by name) and told them of my predicament -- out of gas in the mouth of Alton Bay, wind picking up and water getting rough, wife and kids on-board to include an infant. I was anchored and the anchor seemed to be holding so I wasnt too worried, yet...

After calling my marine, I was told they had no way to get to me or help. They did offer to call a couple of places and said they would call me back. After waiting for 20 minutes or so, I called back and was told that they couldn't find anything and suggested I try calling other marinas, good bye...

Seriously, thats the best you can do after 12 years of summer docking, winter storage and maintenance of two boats???

In any case, I googled Alton Bay marina on my phone and found Gillan Marine. I called and advised them of my predicament. What a difference in response from this marina that had never heard of me before and never done business with me. The owner rounded up two of his workers, found some gas (they dont have gas docks) and within 20 minutes I had two guys pulling up next to me with 10 gallons of gas. Saved by Gillan marine, and they just earned a new customer!

The story doesn't end quite there, I later recived a call from the owner of Gillan Marine just checking in with me to make sure I had got back to my dock and all was well -- wow, I was impressed!

My marina -- for all they knew, I was still in the middle of the lake with my family on-board as I didn't receive a check-in call from them...

Thanks Gillan Marine! You have top notch customer service, I hope you have a great season, I will be back!
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbh For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (06-19-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Thanks!!

Great story and thanks for sharing such a positive marina experience regarding Gillan!!

Now which marina left you stranded??

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default Don't forget

To get that gas guage fixed or fugure out why it won't allow you to top off your tank.
I also am curious to know what marina left you stranded.
Most have a yard boat that could have been sent out to help you out of this situation.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
RLW

Thumbs up

kbh, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I’m sure glad that someone more especially Gillan’s came to your rescue so to speak. In my book they are one of the best or the best around the lake and Ernie is always checking in with the customer to see how they have made out with the work that they have performed.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
jrc

It is good to hear there are still people like that in the world. Believe it or not there are a lot of them on the lake.

I had a very similar issue on my first boat. The gas would not go in even though the tank was nowhere near full. It turned out to be the vent line. The way the factory routed it, gas would settle in low spots and stop the air from getting out. If you can't push air out of the tank, the fuel can't get in. Irwin's rerouted the vent line with no dips and I never had another problem.

BTW think about BoatUS towing, you can buy their best plan to cover you or even buy their cheapest plan, at least you will have someone to call 24/7. It's like $50 a year.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Anchor Management

i wish i had this experience with Winnisquam Marine.... will never go back to them again.

Glad to see such a great story
Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Sunset View

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbh View Post
I have lurked here for a long time and have never bothered to register. I have now registered in order to share the following experience:

For Mother's Day weekend, I brought the family up to the lake for a long weekend and the maiden voyage of our new (new to us) boat that we purchased over the winter in a private sale.

Before launching I had the boat fully serviced and detailed at the marina where I have stored and serviced my previous boat/s for the past 12 years. I then had the Marina launch the boat and dock it in the slip I had rented from them for the coming 2012 season.

After arriving at the lake we spent a few hours just cruising, then gased up as the gas gauge was reading 1/4 tank. The boat didnt take alot of gas before the attendant said it was full, I was confused as it should have taken much more gas. We tried again, but it seemed full. The gas guage read 1/2 tank, I just assumed the gas guage was wrong. We spent the rest of the day on the lake before docking for the night.

The next day we went to Alton Bay for Pop's fried clams, on the way back up Alton Bay we ran out of gas... I called my marina (the same marine I have used for 12 years, they know me by name) and told them of my predicament -- out of gas in the mouth of Alton Bay, wind picking up and water getting rough, wife and kids on-board to include an infant. I was anchored and the anchor seemed to be holding so I wasnt too worried, yet...

After calling my marine, I was told they had no way to get to me or help. They did offer to call a couple of places and said they would call me back. After waiting for 20 minutes or so, I called back and was told that they couldn't find anything and suggested I try calling other marinas, good bye...

Seriously, thats the best you can do after 12 years of summer docking, winter storage and maintenance of two boats???

In any case, I googled Alton Bay marina on my phone and found Gillan Marine. I called and advised them of my predicament. What a difference in response from this marina that had never heard of me before and never done business with me. The owner rounded up two of his workers, found some gas (they dont have gas docks) and within 20 minutes I had two guys pulling up next to me with 10 gallons of gas. Saved by Gillan marine, and they just earned a new customer!

The story doesn't end quite there, I later recived a call from the owner of Gillan Marine just checking in with me to make sure I had got back to my dock and all was well -- wow, I was impressed!

My marina -- for all they knew, I was still in the middle of the lake with my family on-board as I didn't receive a check-in call from them...

Thanks Gillan Marine! You have top notch customer service, I hope you have a great season, I will be back!
There isn't a marina or an owner on Winnipesaukee that comes remotely close to Ernie Gillan.....He and his team repaired our Supra this year in record time and for a fair price......I have said on this forum many times......forget, Formula, Sea Ray and Cobalt.......service after the sale is what really matters, no one comes close to Ernie, Gillam Marine and his fine team...GREAT JOB !!!!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote