Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Piston

Default Registration question for MA/NH

I just recently purchased a used boat that was formerly registered in NH only.

I have land in NH (no house) and I live in MA (and am MA resident)

I plan to leave the boat on my land in NH and only use it on the 'big lakes' as there really aren't any decent size lakes near me.

I needed to get a partial loan for the boat when I bought it (actually I'm still in the process of buying it) That's a whole nother story

I will register the boat in NH since that is where it will permanently stay, but do I need to register it in MA as well?

The only reason I ask, is because the bank will hold a lien on the title, and once I buy the boat I will need to get a title for it, which I assume I have to do in the state I reside in? So once I get the title I will have my bank on it as a lien holder.

I would prefer not to register the boat in MA so I can avoid the sales tax, especially since it will probably never be in MA to begin with.

Does anyone have any advice or info for me?
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Just Sold

NH does not titles boats. Your bank should know this if they finance boats for people who have them in NH but live in MA. I do not think you should have an issue with buying the boat, keeping it in NH and registering it there.

Last edited by Just Sold; 04-14-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Highlander

You do not have to register it in Ma, I purchased 2 boats and financed them both thru our credit union in Ma, registered the boats in NH, no title required. Enjoy your new toy.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
chachee52

I've always thought you register the boat in the "primary port" of use. Which for you would be NH. Never heard of registering in multiple states.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
jrc

Just because you register it in NH, which you should because you will use it here, doesn't mean you can't get a Mass title.

I would not bother getting a Mass title because it will raise all kind of issues with Mass sales tax, but if the bank demands a Mass title as proof of ownership, you may be stuck because NH does not title boats.

Here is link on getting a Mass title on a boat bought in a non-title state.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/instructionspage.htm

You may want to talk to a NH bank or see if your bank can set up a loan that doesn't require a title, it would be shame to have to pay Mass sales tax on a boat that never enters Mass.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Piston

Thanks to everyone who responded. It looks like I should be okay to just register it in NH and be done with it. That's relieving to know!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. It looks like I should be okay to just register it in NH and be done with it. That's relieving to know!

I think the laws are the same - being you can't register a vehicle in two states!

You should obtain a bill of sale, which is your proof of ownership. Yes, NH is your place to use the boat, so must register in NH. People do have Coast Guard numbers which are recognized by some states, but I don't think for NH inland waterways!

NH used to ask where the boat is on April first, I think, and that determined which Town Clerk would bill for the annual property tax. Of course, NH State registration can be paid through State in Concord, but do the town a favor because a portion of the fee stays with the town.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Registration - State vs. Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
NH used to ask where the boat is on April first, I think, and that determined which Town Clerk would bill for the annual property tax. Of course, NH State registration can be paid through State in Concord, but do the town a favor because a portion of the fee stays with the town.
What you say is correct. However if you register with the state more money will be allocated to the marine patrol.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Piston

In the past when I've registered things in NH I've just gone to the town hall, they make it so nice and easy, never a line and in and out in 15mins.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
lawn psycho

They key is keep your first year registration. I had a loan on my boat and even though it was operated and stored in NH exlusively, when the bank went to file the title with the State it got flagged by the State of Maine Revenue Services.

All I had to do was send in the old registration to show it was properly registered in NH and that was it. Not tax was due.

And, as long as the boat is registered in NH for over a year, after that you can legally bring it to MA without getting hit for the sales tax.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Never heard of registering in multiple states.
Back in the olden days (up until sometime in the 1990s?), out-of-state boats using NH inland waters had to be registered in NH; there was no reciprocity for boat registrations. NH didn't issue bow numbers for boat registrations, using a license plate on the stern instead. It was a common sight to see boats with out-of-state bow number registrations as well as a NH boat license plate on the back.

Yes, I know that's not how it's done today, but it used to be that having a boat registered in multiple states was a common occurrence.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
Misty Blue

Default Boat registrations...

OK piston, here is the deal with reprocity. Your boat must be registerd in the state of "primary use". In NH that means that if you keep it continuously for 30 days it must be registered in NH. Most states give you 60 days.

But what if you use it in other states as well?

If you are a snow bird and take your boat to Florida (just an example) and keep it ther for over 60 days (again I am guessing on the required time) it must be registered there. FL is the state of primary use. When you bring it back up to NH and keep it here over 30 days NH is then the state of primary use and it must be re-registered in NH. You keep the same hull numbers, just change the stickers.

Hope this helps.

Misty.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
MiFi

I live in MA but keep boat in Marina in NH, boat is registered in NH at Marina address and bought here so no sales tax. Boat trailer, which I didn't see anyone comment on may be more difficult. The trailer, assuming you have one, may need to be registered in MA since you have your drivers license in MA it appears.
MiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
Nauset

Not difficult for the trailer. Just register it in the state you live in. Make sure if you purchase a boat with a trailer that you get a separate bill of sale for the trailer. If you don't get a separate bill of sale than the Mass DMV will tag you for sales tax on the entire purchase as they can't seperate the value of each item.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset View Post
Not difficult for the trailer. Just register it in the state you live in. Make sure if you purchase a boat with a trailer that you get a separate bill of sale for the trailer. If you don't get a separate bill of sale than the Mass DMV will tag you for sales tax on the entire purchase as they can't seperate the value of each item.
I registered my jetskit and trailer in NH, and I live in MA, not a problem, if it stays in NH
Old 04-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Piston

Good info on the trailer. I will look into that as well, the trailer isn't much of a big deal for me so if I have to register it in MA for insurance reasons or something, then I can do that. I'll check with NH when I register the boat next week, and see what they say about the trailer.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
mhtranger

I just registered my boat and trailer in NH and I live in Ma. When I did the trailer I was told that it could not leave NH. The boat was done in NH because that is where it will be used.
Insured both through Geico and didn't have a problem since it stays only in NH all year.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
Misty Blue

Default MA registrations.

When I bought the Misty Blue back in 91 I kept it and the trailer in NH. I registered the boat in NH but did not use the trailer except to launch.

When I had to do some CG work in Mass. I had to register the trailer. Man what a hard time.

The registry told me that I should have registered the trailer when I bought it so that I could pay the sales tax on it. And I said "Why would I register a trailer that never goes on the road?" And they said "To pay the tax". I was told that I had to pay the sales tax plus a fine for not paying in the first place.

Well I got a letter from the previous owner who said that along with the boat he sold me the trailer (4 wheel easy lift with breaks) for $100. and I paid the registration fee and the fine.

Just watch out if you decide toregister in MA.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
Nauset

I like the option of bringing the boat home to work on in the off season so I registered in Mass. Got a bill of sale for the trailer for $100. No problem.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
.... And I said "Why would I register a trailer that never goes on the road?" And they said "To pay the tax"...
Got to love the way bureaucrats think
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Mass regulations

I use to live briefly in Mass during the '90's. The boat and trailer had always been registered previously in NH. I only bring the boat to Mass. for winter storage. During the summer, I keep it at a marina in NH.

I usually store it in a barn and no one will suspect there is a boat on the property. One winter, I stored the boat outside while I used the barn to restore a classic car. One night after work, a local police officer informed me that the boat trailer was in town for more than 30 days, and they request me to have the trailer registered. He said that it is mandatory that all vehicles that are in Mass for more than 30 days requires Mass registration. I said a trailer is not a vehicle. He gave me a warning. I found a storage facility in Dracut that will take the boat for the rest of the winter. I haven’t heard any more on this situation.

Mass. has a hang up about out of state registered trailers as well as vehicles. You may want to keep NH registered trailers out of sight when in Mass.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #22
Piston

BroadHopper,
That is ridiculous! What if you just had the trailer to use on your own property, lets say you had a trailer for firewood or something, you would never register something like that. I mean c'mon, do we need to start registering our lawn mower trailers that we pick leaves up in!
That is ridiculous that the cop could come to your place and tell you that you have to have the trailer registered when it is just sitting in your yard. What is this state coming to!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
BroadHopper,
That is ridiculous! What if you just had the trailer to use on your own property, lets say you had a trailer for firewood or something, you would never register something like that. I mean c'mon, do we need to start registering our lawn mower trailers that we pick leaves up in!
That is ridiculous that the cop could come to your place and tell you that you have to have the trailer registered when it is just sitting in your yard. What is this state coming to!
To that cop: what if we rent a u-haul trailer and drive it out of NH?
What if I rent an auto for a month after I have flown in to MA visiting?

AND What if I drive to MA with my NH car and stay for several months?

25 - 30 years ago, a cousin started working teaching at a public school in MA. After a while police asked her to register locally. She came from VT, and they realized she had taken a job at the school! Police were right, I think!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #24
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I use to live briefly in Mass during the '90's. The boat and trailer had always been registered previously in NH. I only bring the boat to Mass. for winter storage. During the summer, I keep it at a marina in NH.

I usually store it in a barn and no one will suspect there is a boat on the property. One winter, I stored the boat outside while I used the barn to restore a classic car. One night after work, a local police officer informed me that the boat trailer was in town for more than 30 days, and they request me to have the trailer registered. He said that it is mandatory that all vehicles that are in Mass for more than 30 days requires Mass registration. I said a trailer is not a vehicle. He gave me a warning. I found a storage facility in Dracut that will take the boat for the rest of the winter. I haven’t heard any more on this situation.

Mass. has a hang up about out of state registered trailers as well as vehicles. You may want to keep NH registered trailers out of sight when in Mass.
Note to self, park trailer so plate can't be seen, remove plate or cover plate to avoid this situation, thanks BH, never would have thought of this....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote