Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2023, 09:16 PM   #1
Hubbard

Default Tankless Electric Water Heater

Does anyone have any experience with tankless electric water heaters? We have had a gas one that has been awesome....but we are looking to do away with propane. Our plumber told us something we hadn't thought of...that water out of the ground in NH is COLD and the electric ones just can't heat it fast enough. Any experience or advice would be appreciated!
Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:41 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

There are other threads here about this, but the overall consensus is that electric on-demands are not efficient both in terms of performance and in electrical needs. If I recall, decent ones need two 40-amp circuits.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Hubbard (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 02:31 PM   #3
FlyingScot

I have had a gas tankless in the past, and it has been awesome. I am wary of "experts" who assert without data/specs that green technology is not feasible--they are often guys who have been steeped in fossil fuels their entire lives (like all of us!), and it saddens them to see change. That's completely understandable on a personal level, but it's not an expert opinion.

In general, solar, heat pumps, tankless hot water, electric cars, and the like have worked out better than expected. I hope you'll keep us posted, I am also thinking of switching
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Hubbard (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 03:35 PM   #4
ITD

Like most decisions like this, it's a numbers game. Namely how much does it cost to install, how long will it last and will it work.

You have an excellent source of hot water in your propane heater. The question is, will an electric heater provide the same level of functionality. You need to figure that out. Also I would look into what it will cost to run an electric instant hot water heater, I suspect it will be much more expensive to run.

This is a link to amazon that came from Bob Vila's website. Just for a sanity check, a standard shower nowadays flowrate is 2.5 gpm. You obviously mix cold water with the hot water to get the temperature you desire, but probably at least half is hot water. I suspect you would want one capable of supplying at least the same flow as your propane unit.

The description in on this unit gives some things to think about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZ33DKP...+++++++++&th=1

Last edited by ITD; 07-08-2023 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added more info
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Hubbard (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 04:30 PM   #5
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
Does anyone have any experience with tankless electric water heaters? We have had a gas one that has been awesome....but we are looking to do away with propane.
Looked at electric instantaneous water heaters when constructing house.
The cost.
The wiring needed.
The lack of getting repairs if needed.

If electric. Get a tank.
If propane - get one.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Hubbard (07-08-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2023, 05:00 PM   #6
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I have had a gas tankless in the past, and it has been awesome. I am wary of "experts" who assert without data/specs that green technology is not feasible--they are often guys who have been steeped in fossil fuels their entire lives (like all of us!), and it saddens them to see change. That's completely understandable on a personal level, but it's not an expert opinion.

In general, solar, heat pumps, tankless hot water, electric cars, and the like have worked out better than expected. I hope you'll keep us posted, I am also thinking of switching
I checked on tankless electric for my house just north of Boston. Even the manufacturers don’t recommend it for New England because, as was said before, the groundwater is too cold for it to be economical.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-09-2023), Hubbard (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 07:55 PM   #7
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post

You can look up the specifications for each manufacturer.
And beside a tankless, the hybrid - which would be ''green technology'' - seems to be easier to work based on the power input needs for most homes.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Hubbard (11-12-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 01:47 PM   #8
swnoel

Just bought one of these for my new home... we'll see how it works.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith/5...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Hubbard (11-12-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 12:16 PM   #9
Hubbard

Would be really interested to hear how you like this! Saw the incentive program for this in the NHEC invoice this month. Hope it works out! Thanks again.
Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 07:00 PM   #10
winnipiseogee

I put one in our cottage 8 years ago and its worked great. No problems whatsoever. To be fair, we only have one bathroom so limited hot water demand. I wanted a zoning variance and by getting rid of the propane tank I was able to get space for a washer/dryer. I was hesitant to do it but it worked fine. It did cost me about $800 to upgrade the electrical as needed.
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnipiseogee For This Useful Post:
Hubbard (11-17-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 09:04 AM   #11
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Just bought one of these for my new home... we'll see how it works.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith/5...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
i have one in our new house and our electric bills havent gone over 247 a month with central air running. last month it was 190.00 excellent item
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
Hubbard (11-17-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 11:35 AM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
I put one in our cottage 8 years ago and its worked great. No problems whatsoever. To be fair, we only have one bathroom so limited hot water demand. I wanted a zoning variance and by getting rid of the propane tank I was able to get space for a washer/dryer. I was hesitant to do it but it worked fine. It did cost me about $800 to upgrade the electrical as needed.
I've been looking into them also, but I have a crawl space, only about 4' high. I haven't been able to find a shorty. They all seem to have the heating unit on top which makes them even taller than just a regular tank.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Hubbard (11-17-2023)