Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Just Curious

Are Polaris Rangers with tracks allowed on snowmobile trails?? If they are allowed is it frowned upon by local clubs??

I have been snowmobiling for quite some time now and have never come across a tracked UTV on the snowmobile trails. (maybe I answered my own question??)

I plan on purchasing a ranger for home use and ice fishing purposes and was wondering what protocol was on the trails.

Thanks!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
HomeWood

I don't believe they are. I think they are still considered an ATV and I want to say that a game warden told me that, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember exactly. I don't think they would do much harm other than being a little wide when passing by them.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
jmen24

The snowmobile seasonal use of trails is defined to be used by a vehicle with track and ski. You cannot use a 4TD vehicle on snowmobile trails.

Personnally I do not see how an ATV (that is not being riden like a two-stroke) causes and more damage to snowmobile trail than a snowmobile. That track clears out a trail pretty quick. For the record I ride both ATV's and sleds, but riding the quad on packed snowmobile trails is a lot of fun, you only have to slow at the corners. I understand that the edges are not much fun, I just wish that both sports could live with each other, especially since atv reg is catching up really quick with the sleds.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation Tracked ATVs on Snowmobile Trails

There is a maximum width for Tacked ATVs of 50". There are one or two that some time ride several of the trails in Moultonboro, usually at a very slow passé.

There is a problem of trail degradation with how the tracks attack the snow when turning. The front tracks cut into the snow quite heavily. The snowmobile has only one track and a pair of skies to make it turn not four tracks turning up the snow.

Are they Fround upon Yes and No. If ridden with respect for the work the Groomers do not a problem.

I have one pet peeve as to registrations. Snowmobiles and ATV have separate Registration Funds. This is where all the money comes from to fund Fish and Game and the Grant in Aid program. There is no money that comes from the "STATE."

Tracked ATVs can use the snowmobile trails but do not have register as "Snow Traveling Machine". Yes they get a free ride and hence do not contribute to the maintenance of the Trails.

Our club is looking into purcashing a used Ranger for Trail work. Like to know how you like the Ranger.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Thanks all for the responses.

Jmen, I have seen first hand the damage "wheeled" ATV's cause to snowmobile trails, particularly in early and late season riding when the ground is softening. It's not so much the tearing up of the snow, it's the major ruts that they cause to the ground underneath that not only affect snowmobilers, but piss off land owners when the snow melts. I completely understand and support the "no wheeled vehicles on trail" rule.

"Tracked ATVs can use the snowmobile trails but do not have register as "Snow Traveling Machine". Yes they get a free ride and hence do not contribute to the maintenance of the Trails."

Just an fyi...I do know of a couple people who have their Rangers registered as snowmobiles...

Thanks!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links