Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
eyenotall777

Default Public hearing on Vt.-NH snowmobile touring

Public hearing on Vt.-NH snowmobile touring

For your enjoyment, Vermont has some great trails....

Monday, September 13, 2010
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire is proposing a mutual snowmobile trail-exchange weekend with Vermont.

New Hampshire's Fish and Game Department is having a hearing on the matter at 6:30 p.m. Monday in Concord.

New Hampshire is proposing to establish the third Saturday and Sunday in January as a time when all Vermont-registered snowmobiles can ride on any New Hampshire trail.

The state would adopt the rule if Vermont agrees to same conditions for that weekend.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default From NHSA Hot News Page

A little more info. There is a comment period still open till September 24th. Check link below for details.

Some time ago we had what they called the Commerce Trail that let sleds form both states ride certain Trails in the Pittsburg, Beecher Falls areas. This was a seasonal trail not just a weekend. It would be nice to go back to that setup.

PUBLIC HEARING SEPT. 13 ON PROPOSED VT./N.H. RECIPROCAL SNOW MACHINE WEEKEND --

A public hearing on a proposed Vermont-N.H. reciprocal snowmobile weekend will be held on Monday, September 13, 2010, at 6:30 p.m. at the N.H. Fish and Game Department, 11 Hazen Drive, Concord, N.H. Fish and Game is proposing to establish the third Saturday and Sunday in January as the period when all snowmobiles registered in Vermont may ride any trail in New Hampshire (if Vermont allows New Hampshire-registered snowmobiles on all Vermont snowmobile trails during the same weekend). Read more:

http://wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom...ip_082610.html
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Some time ago we had what they called the Commerce Trail that let sleds form both states ride certain Trails in the Pittsburg, Beecher Falls areas. This was a seasonal trail not just a weekend. It would be nice to go back to that setup.
Winnocturn, What lead to the demise of the Commerce Trail.....

It would seem to me that there would be a lot of support from business and towns to support trail sharing especially along the boarders. It has always surprised me at how state centric this activity as remained.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Skip

Post Current ME/VT commerce/border trails

There are still a number of boundary/commerce trails on both the NH & Maine border. Below is the current list:

PART Fis 1509 RECIPROCITY

Fis 1509.01 Snowmobile Reciprocity.

(a) Only NH/VT commerce zone trails shall be open to snowmobiles registered only in Vermont.

(b) NH/VT commerce zone trails shall be identified with signs as such and shall be as follows:

(1) State corridor trail 3A located in the towns of Colebrook and Stewartstown;

(2) Lancaster commerce trail in the town of Lancaster which shall start at the route 2 highway bridge on the New Hampshire/Vermont state line, state corridor trail 5, groomed snowmobile trails maintained by the Lancaster Snow Drifters and class IV, V or VI roads open to snowmobiles as prescribed in RSA 215-A:6;

(3) Northumberland commerce trail from the New Hampshire/Vermont state line at the Guidhal, Vermont highway bridge to the groomed trail between the western side of route 3 and the eastern side of the active railroad grade. The trail shall end at the crossing of state highway route 3;

(4) NH/VT commerce loop trail shall be state corridor trail 18 and 21 in the town of Colebrook, state corridor trail 5/21 in the town of Stewartstown, and state corridor trail 20 in the town of Pittsburg;

(5) From the junction of corridor trail 5 and Horan Road in Lancaster north on corridor trail 5 to the junction of corridor trail 5 and 7 in Stratford; north on corridor trail 7 to the junction of corridor trails 7 and 3 in Stratford; north on corridor trail 3 to the junction of corridor trail 3 and NH/VT corridor trail 3, the corridor trail to the Stratford, NH/Bloomfield, VT highway bridge;

(6) NH/VT commerce loop trail shall be from the Stratford, NH/Bloomfield, VT highway bridge on the NH/VT corridor trail 3 to the junction of corridor trail 3; north on corridor trail 3 to the junction of corridor trails 3 and 7 in Stratford; north on corridor trail 7 to the junction of corridor trails 7 and 7A in Columbia; north on corridor trail 7A to the junction of corridor trails 7A and 18 in Columbia; and west on corridor trail 18 to the junction of 3A and 18 in Colebrook;

(7) From the intersection of corridor trails 7A, 18 and 21 in Columbia north on corridor trail 21 to the junction of corridor trails 21A and 21 in Columbia, north on corridor trail 21A in Columbia to the bridge crossing in Colebrook, NH and Canaan, VT;

(8) The feeder trail from corridor trail 7 in Columbia to state highway 3; and

(9) Corridor trail 21A from the junction of the commerce trail in Stewartstown to West Stewartstown.

(c) Only NH/ME border trails shall be open to snowmobiles registered only in Maine.

(d) NH/ME border trails shall be identified with signs as such and shall be as follows:

(1) State corridor trail 19 located in the towns of Chatham and Shelburne; and

(2) State corridor trail ITS 82 and 82A coming into the town of Success.

(e) All trails in NH shall be open to snow traveling maintenance vehicles registered in Maine.

(f) All snowmobile trails shall be open to vehicles registered to agencies of the state of Maine, provided that the vehicles are used for official purposes.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (09-15-2010), MAXUM (09-16-2010), trfour (09-14-2010), WINNOCTURN (09-14-2010)
Old 09-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Hey Skip has the NHSA been working with an equivalent in VT to push for this and wondering if you have any idea what the thoughts are in the VT side are. Seems as though NH is the only one proposing the idea. This would be really great if it happened. Maybe if it does it'd open the door for the same deal with ME.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Skip

Thumbs up VT/NH Reciprocity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Hey Skip has the NHSA been working with an equivalent in VT to push for this and wondering if you have any idea what the thoughts are in the VT side are. Seems as though NH is the only one proposing the idea. This would be really great if it happened. Maybe if it does it'd open the door for the same deal with ME.
Yes, the NHSA is fully behind this proposal and has sent in a letter of support. Also our President attended the recent VAST (Vermont) annual meeting where VAST also supports this proposal.

I believe the rules will be changed and this weekend event will take place, hopefully as a success and become an annual event.

Maine is a whole other story. Currently the MSA (Maine's NHSA/VAST equivalent) has no desire to entertain any kind of reciprocity.

NH has always been in favor and actively encouraged reciprocity. Right now we'll take whatever we can get.

Once the proposal is finalized we will put the details on the NHSA website and I will post a followup here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Ryan (09-17-2010)
Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Yes, the NHSA is fully behind this proposal and has sent in a letter of support. Also our President attended the recent VAST (Vermont) annual meeting where VAST also supports this proposal.

I believe the rules will be changed and this weekend event will take place, hopefully as a success and become an annual event.

Maine is a whole other story. Currently the MSA (Maine's NHSA/VAST equivalent) has no desire to entertain any kind of reciprocity.

NH has always been in favor and actively encouraged reciprocity. Right now we'll take whatever we can get.

Once the proposal is finalized we will put the details on the NHSA website and I will post a followup here.
I was hoping that was the case otherwise going though the motions of legislative action would be a waste of time. To bad to hear ME is not interested. If an agreement between VT and NH does take place and ends up being a huge success maybe it'll shame ME into considering the idea. I agree though we'll take what we can get and maybe will open the door to more than just a single weekend. It'd be great to see maybe a week or two during the prime of the season being open maybe in time that arrangement could be made.

Based on what you've said I take it this just a one time trial. BTW I applaud the efforts of both VAST and NHSA for being proponents of this. The NHSA is a great organization! Let's just hope we get a good good snow cover this year.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
eyenotall777

Default Update?

Has anyone heard any updates regarding this?
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Skip

Exclamation Reciprocity weekend - NH & VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyenotall777 View Post
Has anyone heard any updates regarding this?
The reciprocity weekend is currently scheduled for January 28th, 29th and 30th.

One important note. If you intend to ride in Vermont during this period with your NH registered sled you must be carrying liability insurance and you must have proof of insurance on your person, or face a hefty fine.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
The reciprocity weekend is currently scheduled for January 28th, 29th and 30th.

One important note. If you intend to ride in Vermont during this period with your NH registered sled you must be carrying liability insurance and you must have proof of insurance on your person, or face a hefty fine.
Vermont, is indeed very serious about this. Although not on a sled I know people that have gotten caught in NH in Automobiles with out proof of insurance cards. Even though Massachusetts put the information on your registration, it is not good enough. They want to see the proof of insurance card from the insurance company.

This brings up an important note, reciprocity is not true reciprocity, you still have to be aware of individual state rules and make sure they are followed...They can honor registration and licenses but that doesn't mean that rules like what constitutes adequate proof of insurance are the same.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Skip

Thumbs up Well said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Vermont, is indeed very serious about this. Although not on a sled I know people that have gotten caught in NH in Automobiles with out proof of insurance cards. Even though Massachusetts put the information on your registration, it is not good enough. They want to see the proof of insurance card from the insurance company.

This brings up an important note, reciprocity is not true reciprocity, you still have to be aware of individual state rules and make sure they are followed...They can honor registration and licenses but that doesn't mean that rules like what constitutes adequate proof of insurance are the same.
Correct and very good advice!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post

WOW, I dont recall ever having an insurance card,,,

All I ever recall having was the multi page copy of my coverage and I dont think I have ever kept a copy in my car.

Guess I better stay out of VT,,,, LOL
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote